Topic: rechargeable battery  (Read 3378 times)

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
rechargeable battery
« on: April 03, 2017, 07:28:52 am »
I'm looking for good rechargeable battery AA, AAA and maybe 9 volts

Right now I have rechargeable battery from Sony for 7 years and they are fine with me. But since Sony's stores are close I can't get more from them. So I was wondering what brand have the best?

Thanks

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
Re: rechargeable battery
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 12:20:41 pm »
I lived off-grid from 2004 to 2014. I went through various brands of rechargeable AAA's and AA's. Rayovac's NiMH seemed the best brand, but the recharger is more important than the battery. Good batteries (and cheap lightweight generics) will be ruined if your recharger pushes 200mA into them when the batteries are already 100% full. Some low-cost photovoltaic panels have no trickle-charge capability (that's why they're cheap). The other thing that ruins batteries is deep discharge. If I run a radio until it shuts off due to a lack of energy, a NiMH battery's lifespan will be quickly shortened. NiCd varieties are less degraded by this poor treatment.

For maximum lifetime Amp-hours, your rechargeable batteries (NiMH, NiCd, Pb-Acid, Li-Ion) should never be drained below 50% capacity. If you need to do that often (or require 1.5V instead of 1.2V), disposable alkalines may be a better choice for performance.

As you know, changing your electronic devices to more efficient models is very important. LED lights, for example, use much less energy than an old-fashioned tungsten filament bulb or a fluorescent lamp. My 10-kilogram AGM Pb-acid battery could run a bright 6v LED light for months. It could supply a 12V compact fluorescent lamp for a night. Only people who are on the grid would use a 120VAC incandescent.

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 01:31:00 pm »
Go with either Eneloops or Duracell rechargeable batteries.  These have the reputation with the longest useful lifespans.  Hope this helps.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 08:15:37 am »
my old battery from Sony are still good, just need more battery for other devices.

I do like the charger from Sony because once they are fully charge, it stop charging. With it I can charge the AA and AAA, I can charge one or 2 battery.

I will check for Duracell at Walmart.

Thanks

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 03:02:17 pm »
No problem.  If you go with Eneloops, look for the one's from Japan, they are better made than the one's from China.  Both Eneloops and Duracell are just rebranded premium Panasonic batteries.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 03:11:30 pm »
What about Energizer, is it a good brand?

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 05:09:24 pm »
I've seen mixed reviews on Energizers, your mileage may vary.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 05:57:40 pm »
I got AA rechagablePanasonic battery from Dollarama, since they are faily cheap I will try them and see how they goes.

Also I was wondering about a charger, since I have a Sony charger and Sony's battery, is it safe to use the Sony charger to charge the Panasonic and other brand with it?

Offline Javora

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 09:27:39 pm »
I don't think it will be a problem, but the charger or the package it came in might tell you otherwise.  At worst, you can always pick up a Nitecore D2 two bay charger on Amazon for about $15.

Offline Don Karnage

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2017, 06:35:58 am »
funny my old sony's battery are typ 2000mAh and the Panasonic are 1100mah