Topic: A-EON Amiga X5000 - Attention Stephen  (Read 2436 times)

Online Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
A-EON Amiga X5000 - Attention Stephen
« on: May 27, 2017, 06:01:15 pm »
Link to full article

Specs at a glance: A-EON Amiga X5000
OS    AmigaOS 4.1
CPU    Dual-core Freescale CPU up to 2.5GHz
RAM    Up to 64GB RAM
HDD    Kingston 2.5-inch, 250GB SSD drive
Ports    6 USB ports, 2 Ethernet jacks, serial port for debugging
Starting price    $1,598
Price as reviewed    $1,840
Other perks    ATI Radeon R9 270X video card, DVD-Rom drive, full-screen Neuromancer

The X5000 is very quiet in operation. The CPU has

So when a brand new Amiga computer arrived at my doorstep in 2017, you can imagine it was quite a surprise. Accordingly, the Amiga X5000 is a curious beast. In some respects, it's more closely related to its predecessors than either modern PCs or Macintoshes. Yet this is a fully current machine capable of taking on modern workloads. How such a device came to be is a fascinating story, but that's not our goal today—let’s dive into what the experience of using the X5000 is like.

The X5000 was developed by A-EON, a company formed by Trevor Dickinson in 2009 to develop new PowerPC-based Amiga computers. It is powered by a custom PowerPC motherboard, supporting a dual-core Freescale CPU at various clock speeds up to 2.5GHz. The Amiga has a long history of PowerPC support, starting with add-on accelerator cards released in 1997 using the old Motorola 603 and 604 chips. And since the release of Amiga OS 4.0 in 2007, the operating system itself was recompiled to be PowerPC-native, and many Amiga applications have been rewritten to support this architecture.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
Re: A-EON Amiga X5000 - Attention Stephen
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 11:40:12 pm »
WOW! Oh man, I had no idea this was even a concept.

Thanks for the heads up, now to save a small fortune over the next year LOL.
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Online Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 03:06:32 pm »
Thought you would be interested.  Glad to be of help.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 06:17:33 pm »
Do these people own the rights to Amiga now?  Last time I heard Commodore was owned by Gateway computers.  Gateway computers was sold off to Toshiba.  I hope these people don't end up in legal trouble.  Otherwise it's an interesting concept, probably would have been better if it ran on standard PC/Intel hardware.  Amiga would have been in a better position to challenge Microsoft OS as a software download.  I'm interested to see where this goes.