Topic: New Member Guidance  (Read 6690 times)

Offline JarvisArgelius

• Lt. Junior Grade
New Member Guidance
« on: October 21, 2018, 12:34:36 pm »
Hello, All!

I apologize if there is a topic for this and I missed it.  I did a 'New Member' search, but received no results that I could access (maybe dead link from 2003-ish). 

I am here as a fellow SFC fan & gamer who needs some guidance playing SFC, and it's best succesors, on my modern PC.  I have a Trace 940 running Windows 10 Home Edition.  IFrom general 'net browsing I've seen some guides and user mods for SFC in Windows 10, but I'd like a suggestion on where to purchase and download the game(s) from.  It looks like that both Steam and GOG offer SFC.  Is there any preference among Dynaverse members?

I also look forward to playing as many of the followups to SFC as are good quality.  I once owned most of them on original CD-ROM but those games were lost many moves ago.  I have *yet* to play any of the SFC series through an entire race campaign.  I usually play Romulans and for almost 20 years, one thing or another has stopped me., ether life priorities or just not being able to keep the games from bugging, crashing, etc.

So, yeah, new member/old fan/frustrated player here looking to get on track and re-try this franchise for the umpteenth time.  Any guidance would be appreciated.  Thank you.

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
Re: New Member Guidance
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2018, 04:54:17 pm »
Welcome.

Regardless of where you obtain SFC series software, I recommend that you get the latest patches, 1.03, 2.037, and 2.564.

I do not recommend 2.670 (Community Edition) because it is inferior in gameplay to SFC2:EAW (2.036-2.037) and it has no activity. I've fixed bugs in that game and released patches, but new bugs are practically unrepairable with my tools.

The only SFC game with a multiplayer pulse is Orion Pirates 2.564. It's also the only SFC game being developed and maintained now (by fewer than five fans).

Offline JarvisArgelius

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 01:59:41 am »
Thank you very much, TarMinyatur.  I'm looking forward to getting back into this game.  Especially Orion Pirates. Orions are such an under-exposed facet of Trek in general. I've never played that part of the game at all.

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 04:21:30 am »
You're welcome. There are three multiplayer campaign servers up right now for Orion Pirates 2.564. We actually need playtesters for the new networking that replaced the services that had been provided by Gamespy.

https://hotandspicyforums.com/starfleet-command-f3/

That's where the latest gameplay conversations are underway.

Offline JarvisArgelius

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 03:54:00 am »
Thanks, again.  Once I get my space legs back I'll join.  I just downloaded SFC Gold from Steam and I'm verrry rusty. :BoeseSmilies (71): No issues so far, with the workaround instructions provided.

Offline Praxis

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2018, 01:58:22 pm »
You're welcome. There are three multiplayer campaign servers up right now for Orion Pirates 2.564. We actually need playtesters for the new networking that replaced the services that had been provided by Gamespy.

https://hotandspicyforums.com/starfleet-command-f3/

That's where the latest gameplay conversations are underway.

How do you get connected to the multiplayer campaign servers?  I tried to figure out how to play Dynaverse again a few months ago and gave up.

Also, is there any SFC3 servers?

I'd play SFC OP or SFC3.

Offline TarMinyatur

• Lt.
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2018, 02:48:45 pm »
I don't know if a SFC3 server is currently running anywhere. The only activity is OP 2.564 on Falconer's dedicated machines.

Offline Praxis

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 11:45:33 am »
I don't know if a SFC3 server is currently running anywhere. The only activity is OP 2.564 on Falconer's dedicated machines.

I downloaded SFC Launcher, and followed the instructions- not much luck.

When I choose SFC 2 OP (Client) and hit Launch, I hear a Windows system sound and nothing happens.  (SFC3 launches and works though.)  I'm pointing to the SFCOP.exe path but I've tried StarFleetOP.exe too.

When I launch the game manually, it seems to exit to desktop when I click the Dynaverse log in button.

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 12:20:50 pm »
When I choose SFC 2 OP (Client) and hit Launch, I hear a Windows system sound and nothing happens.

You need to correctly install our SFC2OP 2564 patch, in order for it to work properly.
The SFC Launcher was targeted to work only with our patches.

The instructions to download and install it are in our forums.
"But he isn't wearing anything at all!" (The Emperor's New Clothes)