Topic: SFC3 can't play conquest w/ mod  (Read 6707 times)

Offline stibbymicto

• Lt. Junior Grade
SFC3 can't play conquest w/ mod
« on: March 06, 2019, 04:10:21 am »
Anyone ever install the Generations at War 2.0 mod? I wanted to play conquest (not campaign, it works) and at the first mission, it crashed on me with an error message. I have the following installations on SFC3:

1. 534 rev B patch
2. Generations at War 2.0
3. Generations at War 2.01 patch
4. Windows 10 compatibility fix

I know it's a -super- old mod, but it has the most ships which really makes a good mod in my eyes for SFC. Thanks!

Offline AlDaja

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • SFC:III Troubleshooter
    • Starfleet Command Forums
Re: SFC3 can't play conquest w/ mod
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 08:10:27 pm »
I do recall playing this mod years ago and I think this version was a build on top of earlier versions of the mod.  Did the install instructions say you have to install a V 1.0 first?  You can try a search of GameFront or Nexus Mods to see if there are any other versions of this mod you may need.  If the mod collapses upon launch when you click on conquest, it typically means something went wrong with the installation of the mod; I'll presume the Taldren install and patch worked fine with the out-of-box install for the campaign and conquest play.  Were you able to progress on through to any of the loading screens for playable races before the mod crashed? If you were able to get that far before the game crashed, it could be that ships called for in the mod are missing/misplaced HP's from your copy of the mod or the starting ship is missing. You can do a quick check to see if ships are causing the issue by reviewing the "Invalid Ship.txt": C:\Program Files\Activision\(your mod)\Sfc3crash. If the starting ship called for is the issue, you will need to see if the ship called for in the Character file (C:\Program Files\Activision\(your mod)\MetaAssets\ServerProfiles\SinglePlayer) matches an available ship in the DefaultLoadOut (C:\Program Files\Activision\(your mod)\Assets\Specs). For example, if "Norway" is what is listed, make sure there is a "Norway" ship listed in the DefaultLoadOut for the conquest race you are trying to play.

Assuming you got the mod to load and it crashed on a specific mission, it's likely there was a logic conflict with the script; usually meaning ships (sometimes planets or specific station or race) called for are missing (mission calls for X cruiser (cruiser 1, 2, etc.) or equivalent), but could not find specified ship in the DefaultLoadOut, again you can do a check for invalid ships, but it may not post it. It could also be the script was not written specifically for this mod (as noted for a specific ship scenario) and copied from another mod, which can cause conflicts within the dll. 

If you are looking for a couple of mods to try out that are loaded with a plethora of custom and archetypal ships, stations, planets - new weapons, missions, effects and music, you may be interested in what we have to offer: https://www.moddb.com/members/aldaja

Both of our mods, Typhon Pact and MirrorrorriM have been updated and include enhancement patches.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 09:48:30 pm by AlDaja »
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.