Topic: BSG ReReboot  (Read 6493 times)

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
BSG ReReboot
« on: September 19, 2019, 11:45:38 pm »
Well, NBC is starting their own streaming service, and one of the offerings will be a new BSG reboot.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/17/20870238/battlestar-galactica-reboot-mr-robot-creator-peacock-nbcuniversal-streaming-wars

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
Re: BSG ReReboot
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2019, 03:55:32 pm »
Yeah, we’ve been talking about that over at Pun’s place...

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 08:40:01 pm »
I wish they'd stop with the constant "reboots" and do new things.  There are lots of old sci fi novels that could be made into series that have their own settings.  Yes that isn't totally new but it would be new to TV. 

H. Beam Pipers Space Viking would be one.  The Traveller RPG setting would make another.  With a little thought I'm sure I could come up with a dozen more. 

If they MUST do a reboot how about doing one of a fan favourite that didn't get a full treatment?  Firefly for example? 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 11:15:45 pm »
I’m a little partial but if they wanted to reboot a series they should have picked Farscape.  NBC owns the rights to that show already...

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 12:44:56 pm »
My partiality to the Space Viking becoming a show has NOTHING to do with the Heros ship being the Nemesis and the Villains being the Enterprise.  I thought this before I played SFB and started using that ship name. 

Space Viking also is copyright 1963 so they shouldn't have trouble using the Enterprise name either especially since the ships are spherical. 
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 05:49:31 am »
They wouldn't have any trouble using the Enterprise name because the USN has been using it for centuries.

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 12:10:42 am »
Been thinking about this, and how everyone thinks this is the end of cable.
It really is not the case, it is more of the reboot of cable, it will allow high speed access and the channels are now streaming sites. All in all I doubt I will bother with MSNBC for just a show, jus t like I did not pay for the new star trek series. If they want my money they will need to do better than a promise way to many old franchises have been reboot or changed and most are not worth watching. I don't mind paying for streaming but it should at least be commercial free if you have to pay for it.

Fire Fly is the prime example of a show that should not be rebooted, it worked because it was so short and was a under dog fighting for survival. The Movie also killed off a vital character that made it all work, and changed summer into something that would probably not workout.
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

America-Not the land of the free anymore...
 Its the land of the freeloaders

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline TAnimaL

• Lt.
    • Combat Logs from the Cold Depths of Space
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2019, 12:24:47 pm »
(Just a quick aside, most industry experts state that cable is nearing it's end. Streaming will indeed be taking it's place; I talked with an business expoert who thinks Netflix will be dead in less than 4 years, gone the way of Blockbuster)

There was a quick twitter correction by the EP Same Esmail to the initial announcement that the show would not be a "reboot":
"BSG fans, this will not be a remake of the amazing series Ronald D. Moore launched because... why mess with perfection?"  Instead, we’ll explore a new story within the mythology while staying true to the spirit of Battlestar. So say we all!"
https://www.space.com/nbcu-s-new-battlestar-galactica-not-a-reboot-will-stay-true-to-spirit-of-2000s-era-show.html

I'm curious about the new show but frankly would almost prefer a reboot that diverges from both the original and RD Moore. As much as I loved the first 2 seasons of nuBSG that last season was so dissappointing, in part because of the "mythology" dependence.  I guess we'll see if it even makes it, so many new shows never see the light of day.  Seeing a nice pulpy classic scifi brought to life would be fun.

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2019, 02:55:26 pm »
(Just a quick aside, most industry experts state that cable is nearing it's end. Streaming will indeed be taking it's place; I talked with an business expoert who thinks Netflix will be dead in less than 4 years, gone the way of Blockbuster)

There was a quick twitter correction by the EP Same Esmail to the initial announcement that the show would not be a "reboot":
"BSG fans, this will not be a remake of the amazing series Ronald D. Moore launched because... why mess with perfection?"  Instead, we’ll explore a new story within the mythology while staying true to the spirit of Battlestar. So say we all!"
https://www.space.com/nbcu-s-new-battlestar-galactica-not-a-reboot-will-stay-true-to-spirit-of-2000s-era-show.html

I'm curious about the new show but frankly would almost prefer a reboot that diverges from both the original and RD Moore. As much as I loved the first 2 seasons of nuBSG that last season was so dissappointing, in part because of the "mythology" dependence.  I guess we'll see if it even makes it, so many new shows never see the light of day.  Seeing a nice pulpy classic scifi brought to life would be fun.

The concept of cable was a box that let you see channels that you paid for, Streaming site are basically the same thing you pay to watch their channels content. Either way it should also go commercial free as you have to pay for it.

Netflix is pushing original content because the Studios are starting their own channels and will probably in the future not allow their movies and shows to be on someone else's channel. This also could mark the end of TV as we know it as well. Either way the Netflix and Hulu of today will be gone and shows that are not on a major Studios pay channels will have troubles finding a audience. When UPN placed Star Trek behind the paywall how many fans did it lose? Studios like Warner Bothers and Disney that have large content in TV and Movies and can play to Children and Adults will have all the power in the business. Orville only got its chance because of Family Guy and that was because of the sick and twisted anime festival that helped them start along with the simpsons.

So back to the original topic if NBC starts its own stream site and that is the only place to watch the show I will not bother. NBC has to buy shows from the studios that make them, so why pay for NBC when you already will probably be paying the studios streaming site as well. NBC is thinking along the lines of Netflix right now we have to come up with our own content. BSG is owned by Glen Larson and Universal, even though the last series was made by Warner Bothers who might own the IP now.

So the same basic premise of BSG will be in the show but just like the reboot it will take a new direction, lets hope it is not a social issues direction
People always said they wanted the government to listen to them and now the government is listening, taking notes and names...and coming to see you soon!

Remember the axiom of big government bureaucrats: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. When, finally, under the crushing weight of taxes and regulation, it stops moving, subsidize it.

Offline Sirgod

• Whooot Master Cattle Baron
  • Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2019, 10:24:30 am »
There was a story on cordcutters page the other day, saying that Amazon Prime has something like 14-15k movies, where as netflix has maybe 4k. IIRC.

Hulu about 1.5 k .

Streaming is also so much cheaper than Cable.

I do know that I can watch like the Six Million Dollar Man on NBC right now. They have a few other old shows as well.
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2019, 02:03:50 pm »
Actually I recently got the 6 Million Dollar Man on DVD and am watching through it.  He kills a lot of people. 

The A-Team on the other hand don't seem to kill anyone.  Beat up a lot and destroy a lot of cars but kill?  Nope.

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2019, 09:05:06 am »
I've been a fan of 6MdM since I was 5 yo, and it originally aired.

I even went to Kindergarden, and told every one my name was Steve Austin, rather than Steve Smith.

During the class Christmas party, one of the moms there, Mrs. Bendabout, approached my mom, telling her how brave I was, to have suffered so much, and still attending school

My mom was like, what are you talking about, and she came back with, well, he lost his eye, an arm, both legs...

Mom finally told her that I was hooked on the show, and both of them just laughed hard after that.

I guess I had a vivid imagination as a kid.
"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."- Father Kevin Keaney, Chaplain, Korean War

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2019, 08:05:05 pm »
My family thought I was a big Elvis fan.  I just wanted the beautiful scantily clad women that surrounded him in the films.  :)

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2019, 04:02:04 pm »
Hehe, no doubt on that.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2019, 09:04:32 pm »
I wasn't even 10 yet. 

Offline GotAFarmYet?

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2019, 11:05:01 pm »
My family thought I was a big Elvis fan.  I just wanted the beautiful scantily clad women that surrounded him in the films.  :)

Pretty much sums up the interest in Charles Angles, Buck Rogers and Wonder Woman

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2019, 01:17:51 pm »
I've been a fan of 6MdM since I was 5 yo, and it originally aired.

You probably HATED the episode I just watched.  Austin was only in two scenes.  One at the beginning the other at the end.  I suspect it was a pilot that didn't launch a series as hoped. 

Offline Sirgod

• Global Moderator
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2019, 04:36:25 pm »
There was one or two like that IIRC. Got the whole series and movies on the old Movie HD.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2019, 08:46:26 pm »
I just recently got it in an "All in One"  DVD collection.  I'm still converting the Bionic Woman episodes from DVD.