Topic: The Orville  (Read 2705 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
The Orville
« on: February 08, 2020, 03:44:27 pm »
I've recently been watching through the first two seasons of The Orville.  I'm glad to see that someone has finally done what I (and others) have been saying for years.  If you want to do a Star Trek style show make one that is your own don't twist Trek into your vision.

I'm also glad to see that they seem to be building an on going story line (or lines) like Babylon 5 and like Babylon 5 tipping the hat to those shows that came before with guest stars from those shows.

I hope they continue to build on this foundation.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Javora

• America for Americans first.
  • Commander
Re: The Orville
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 12:30:14 am »
I really like that show, hope it survives on Hulu...

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 10:07:55 am »
I've seen the last few episodes now.  Wish some one would tell them "Just because it is Sci Fi you DON'T have to do time travel".  :(

Now the temporal accelerator (decelerator too maybe?) has military applications.  Put one on the Orville's power plant and if you double the time rate you double the output power (from outside the power plants viewpoint).  Same for using with energy weapons, your megawatt laser might not be able to handle an overload without melting but increase its time rate (and power supply) 10 fold and it becomes a 10 megawatt weapon.  You can simplify this by accelerating the whole ship.  Even your crew does everything at the time multiplier in battle 2x, 10x or even 1000x. 

If you could project decelerated time on a Kaylon vessel (reduce to 1%) from their viewpoint your weapons just went to 100 times as powerful and crushes their defenses. 

This is one of the things the last episode of Stargate missed.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline AlDaja

• Lt. Junior Grade
  • SFC:III Troubleshooter
    • Starfleet Command Forums
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 07:50:48 am »
I really like that show, hope it survives on Hulu...

Agreed.  I know Grimes and Palicki divorced not to long ago and hope it doesn't affect how they work together.  I haven't heard too much on the next season, but assume one will be coming (??).  Rumors are flying that Seth, might sideline the Orville if he can get CBS to agree to the sell of all or at least the original Star Trek timeline franchise.  There was a rumor few weeks back that started on Reddit, I believe, that he and NBC walked out on secret discussions with CBS exes to sell, but they wanted too much. 

https://boundingintocomics.com/2020/02/04/new-rumor-details-the-orville-creator-seth-macfarlanes-plans-if-he-acquires-star-trek/

Found this too, for what it's worth.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2021, 12:15:34 pm »
Looks good the up coming season .