Topic: Windows 7 Pro CD install of SFC2  (Read 4726 times)

Offline AaronJG

• Lt. Junior Grade
Windows 7 Pro CD install of SFC2
« on: April 09, 2020, 08:41:53 pm »
OK, I'm stuck.

I have a rig I bought a couple of years with the idea of playing my old games. Win 7 Pro, i7-2600, Radeon RX560.

Decided during this coronavirus thing to fire up the old SFC2 (I liked the missions, sue me) - lo and behold, the install program isn't running. Autostart.exe runs but the Setup.exe seems to fail at launch - no error message, just a spinning circle with the mouse, then nothing. Tried running in different compatibility settings (changed both programs to Win95, Win98, and WinXPSP3) but no dice.

I'd really like to not have to fire up my old laptop from 2005.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
Re: Windows 7 Pro CD install of SFC2
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 04:20:51 pm »
I'm waiting for a Win 7 machine I bought on Ebay, yesterday, just to play SFC.  I think I still have the EAW missions for OP on an old HD, laying around.  I was planning on installing OP, and that will probably have the same problems.  I also have EAW discs.  If anyone has good links to enhancements, I would appreciate assistance, as well.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline AaronJG

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: Windows 7 Pro CD install of SFC2
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2020, 07:45:50 pm »
OK, I'm stuck.

I have a rig I bought a couple of years with the idea of playing my old games. Win 7 Pro, i7-2600, Radeon RX560.

Decided during this coronavirus thing to fire up the old SFC2 (I liked the missions, sue me) - lo and behold, the install program isn't running. Autostart.exe runs but the Setup.exe seems to fail at launch - no error message, just a spinning circle with the mouse, then nothing. Tried running in different compatibility settings (changed both programs to Win95, Win98, and WinXPSP3) but no dice.

I'd really like to not have to fire up my old laptop from 2005.

Thanks in advance.

Update: Doesn't run in XP mode either (I finally figured out that getting Windows 7 Pro was a bad idea - 64 bit) but at least it installs and I get the Blink video. I have updated to 2036.