Topic: Interesting stuff about SpaceX Starship (hate the name)  (Read 66872 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Re: Interesting stuff about SpaceX Starship (hate the name)
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2021, 01:56:26 pm »
Rumour has it that the FAA intervention is due to a claim that debris from SN8 crossed the Rio Grande into Mexico.   Too bad they waited so long to SAY ANYTHING about the issue (if it is true).  The border is apparently 4 KM away from the landing pad.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #81 on: January 31, 2021, 06:37:00 pm »
The next Starlink flight is due this week (Monday if no slippage) and again it will be the 8th flight for this Falcon 9 booster and barring accident the 8th landing. 
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #82 on: February 01, 2021, 02:29:39 pm »
Did you know that Space X was originally a brand name for late 1960's & early 1970's a line off toy space exploration vehicles & spaceships  marketed by Triang??

I still have a couple of Triang Space X models around the house.

If Triang (the world's biggest global toy manufacturer in the 1960's) hadn't have folded in 1971, I'm sure that they'd be suing Elon Musk over the use of the Space X brand name.

The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #84 on: February 01, 2021, 08:53:53 pm »
Huh, wonder if this had something to do with it?

https://gab.com/AmericanAFMindy/posts/105647387021854220

Except it is factually wrong.  Hutter is a legal resident legally able to work in the U.S. (has dual citizenship part Canadian).  SpaceXs defense is pretty good,  they didn't find anyone to fill the job. 

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2021, 09:14:10 am »
Looks like they have FAA clearance and may launch today. 

Will edit this if I see more info. 

Currently doing "pad closeouts" what exactly that is I'm not sure.  But they've already done road closures and town evacuations (about 11:30 am their time).  Probably at least 3 hours before launching.  Among other things they still have to load propellant.

2nd Edit

Currently doing "tank farm activity" and expecting launch about 2 pm their time.  So about 1/2 and hour or more depending on delays.

3rd Edit

Now they are on engine chill.  Next step?  LAUNCH!

4th Edit DAMN!  Something went wrong and it didn't seem to have full engine control at the end (possibly something came off) and it hit hard and way off vertical.   

So all we can say is GO SN10!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 02:37:06 pm by Nemesis »

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2021, 11:20:23 am »
Rumour has it that the FAA intervention is due to a claim that debris from SN8 crossed the Rio Grande into Mexico.   Too bad they waited so long to SAY ANYTHING about the issue (if it is true).  The border is apparently 4 KM away from the landing pad.

Seems that the FAA gave them a launch permit for SN8 but refused them a "safety waiver" which is required for doing something that may "exceed the maximum public risk allowed by federal safety regulations" which any experimental rocket launch definitely does.  Since the SN8 exploded due to landing too fast SpaceX were in violation of the launch license due to not having the waiver.  The whole purpose of the site is to manufacture and test experimental rockets that may explode at some point.  So why refuse the waiver?  If they had a valid reason then, how can they issue to the SN9 which has the same dangers? 

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #88 on: February 03, 2021, 07:00:03 am »
Well, the SN9 had a *successful* flight. it is a massive ship.
But the landing didn't helped clear those 'safety concerns' for the average observer.
Just imagine if the SN9 had collapsed into the SN10 that was in the ground. Thank God.

Hope SpaceX doesn't suffer any setbacks with that.
It is impressive what they have been doing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwZl6YV3xYA
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 01:04:13 pm by d4v1ks »
"But he isn't wearing anything at all!" (The Emperor's New Clothes)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #89 on: February 03, 2021, 09:04:48 am »
It did land on target so SN10 and structures on site were in danger from flying debris alone.  The video you linked to did show debris going towards SN10 but I didn't see whether it hit.  Hopefully not.  Still awaiting the "why" though it did look like the second engine didn't stay ignited but that if accurate still leaves the why didn't it question. 

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #90 on: February 03, 2021, 11:42:53 am »
SpaceX engineer John Insprucker said on the company's livestream of the event that much of the test flight "looked to be very good," and engineers were able to gather data to help improve the Starship design throughout the flight, which reached about 10 km, or six miles, high.

"We demonstrated the ability to transition the engines to the landing propellant tanks, the subsonic reentry looked very good and stable," Insprucker said. "We've just got to work on that landing a little bit."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2021, 06:58:53 am »
Last night a Falcon 9 launched for the 5th time taking up another batch of Starlink satellites.  This is its 2nd launch this year, 27 days between flights.  A new record turn around time.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #92 on: February 05, 2021, 12:34:26 pm »
Apparently the SN10 launch will on landing ignite all 3 engines then software will turn off one for the actual landing.

The SN7.2 tank is reported as passing all tests.  So a lighter Starship means more cargo. 

The upcoming private Dragon flight will use the Dragon capsule currently at the ISS, so first reuse of a crew Dragon capsule.  No information on whether it will be a reused Falcon.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #93 on: February 06, 2021, 07:39:40 am »
Interesting.  They have Primary closures for the 8th and 10th and Secondary closures for the 11th and 12th.  The first 3 are 9 am to 6 pm and the last 7 am to 12 pm.  Almost like they were testing 2 different units.  Are they planning to complete SN11 by the 10th and begin testing of it in parallel with SN10?

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #94 on: February 06, 2021, 09:58:54 am »
Starship is Musks way of saying about Falcon 9.  "You think that's good?  Hold my beer."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #95 on: February 07, 2021, 04:40:37 pm »
Now Starlink in looking at providing phone service.  They also have competitors for money to provide broadband internet complaining that they shouldn't get any of the incentive money because a/ they just have an "experimental" system and b/ they are going to do it anyway whether they get the money or not so the money should go to those who are only going to provide broadband to isolated people if they get bribed and they don't want to share that money with Starlink.

I'd rather help the company that has already begun to do it to speed them up rather than those who are trying to block them.  Remember Starlink wants to be world wide so that is money flowing into the U.S. instead of out.

Amazon is trying to block Starlink from using orbits that they want for their competing "system".  The system doesn't have prototypes or a launch system that can deliver their satellites to orbit at rates competitive with what Starlink gets.  Their system is years in the future if it ever gets up at all.  Remember this is Bezos who has with Blue Origin a 2 year head start on SpaceX and more money hasn't yet launched anything to orbit.

First parts are showing up for SN18 so SN15-SN18 are now under construction.  I do wonder if SN18 is using the 3mm stainless.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2021, 08:51:50 am by Nemesis »

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #96 on: February 08, 2021, 02:04:08 pm »
I've seen unconfirmed reports of flight restrictions for Thurs.-Sat. so possible launch any of those 3 days.  Lets hope 3 times is the charm. 

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2021, 06:48:15 am »
Starlink is now letting Canadians pre-order service on a first come first serve basis with the service beginning mid to late 2021.  They are also talking IPO in the next year or two.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2021, 03:36:08 pm »
The UAE has just put a probe into orbit around Mars. They plan to share the data with 200 universities around the world. 

More interesting they are building a prototype Martian city in the desert with the plan that it will allow development of the tech to actually live on Mars. 

Wonder when they will take the next step and begin to design/build space ships capable of carrying people there. 

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #99 on: February 10, 2021, 02:10:42 pm »
SpaceX is pouring a lot of concrete on their orbital launch pad at Boca Chica.  This might mean testing the booster is closer than it appears. 

The SN7.2 did have its "destructive" test but is still on the test stand looking intact.  The failure seems to have been pretty mild, hot a full on burst like the earlier test tanks.  While not dramatic probably a good indicator.

SN 11 is "fully stacked".  The shorter closure on Friday might possibly be to move it to the launch platform vacated by SN9.

With the number of Starships being produced they should rename it to Tribble (or Martian Sand Cat the Heinlien original).