Topic: Interesting stuff about SpaceX Starship (hate the name)  (Read 66973 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Re: Interesting stuff about SpaceX Starship (hate the name)
« Reply #120 on: March 06, 2021, 02:34:22 pm »
One problem with Starship is you won't be able to do something that has been common in science fiction.  You won't be able to use the magnetic soles on your space boots to walk on the outside of the hull. 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #121 on: March 06, 2021, 03:26:52 pm »
One problem with Starship is you won't be able to do something that has been common in science fiction.  You won't be able to use the magnetic soles on your space boots to walk on the outside of the hull.

Eheheh
Space is a harsh environment for a walk. ;)
"But he isn't wearing anything at all!" (The Emperor's New Clothes)

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #122 on: March 10, 2021, 05:10:08 pm »
Space Launch System vs Starship

SLS uses the shuttle main engines.  For some reason Boeing added a valve that wasn't in the original design.  They are having troubles with the valve and it will take months to fix because they have to fabricate a custom tool. 

SpaceX prototype after a static fire they rejected one of the engines.  In 24 hours they replace the engine and do a new static fire. 

SpaceX for the win. 

The issues with the SLS really astound me.  Its whole selling point was that it was supposed to be based off of 40 year old technology to shorten development time, yet they're finding ways to screw it up.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #123 on: March 10, 2021, 07:59:49 pm »
Musk has stated that helium from pressurizing the header tank got to the engine and that is why the engine didn't throttle up.  Now can they either fix it for SN11 or compensate for it? 

SN11 is on the launch pad and there are part day closures this week so I am assuming pressure testing this week and barely possibly a static fire but I really expect that next week. 
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #124 on: March 12, 2021, 04:01:21 pm »

The issues with the SLS really astound me.  Its whole selling point was that it was supposed to be based off of 40 year old technology to shorten development time, yet they're finding ways to screw it up.

Cost+ contracts.  Cost over runs don't lower your profit margins.  Time over runs don't either. 

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #125 on: March 13, 2021, 11:02:18 am »
So SpaceX is building a second orbital launch pad at Boca Chica even though they haven't finished the first one.  They also have plans for an expansion including a THIRD orbital launch pad.  Each pad will have its own tank farm capable of holding all the fuel required for a launch.

They are also building something that demonstrates the advantage of methane + LOX, a fuel plant to allow them to manufacture all their fuel for the site on the site.  Takes a lot of tankers to fuel a SH and Starship combo. 

I think the launch pads are based on this being a spaceship construction site.  They will (IMO) launch on their first flight from here and land elsewhere on a pad at a "spaceport".  Given the volume of noise to expect from 28 raptors at full power for a launch you won't want to be living anywhere nearby.  Also with the potential explosion of a combined SH+SS FULLY FUELED you don't want people or anything else anywhere nearby outside a bunker.  The 3 exploded SN8-10 only had a very small % of their possible fuel at the time of explosion.  So imagine explosions perhaps 150 times as great (likely several kilotons equivalent). 

This works well with the converted oil platforms for launch sites as any structures could be under an (armoured) landing platform and most people/equipment could be a couple of kilometers away and relatively safe, even further away if needed, even subsurface.  At sea the platforms could be many kilometers apart if needed.  Command posts could be on ships.  Setup off shipping lanes should be possible so you wouldn't need to worry as much about other ships or aircraft not destined for your launch site.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #126 on: March 14, 2021, 09:54:07 am »
A Falcon 9 successfully landed after its 9th flight. 

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #127 on: March 14, 2021, 04:27:40 pm »
You know that SpaceX plans to land the Super Heavy by catching it.  Now they are planning to do the same with Starship.

The first immediate thought is that Starship can't land on the Moon or Mars, not true.  Landing legs for either of them would be far less massive as the Lunar gravity is .17g and Mars is .38g, only the Earth landing would need a catcher.

Just like a lot of things with Super Heavy this can be tried first on Starship and is much easier with the reduced mass.  Almost all components for SH are common with Starship, now the Earth landing is shared too.  This allows Starship to do almost all the prototype level work for SH.

One disappointing thing is the SH BN1 is not expected to fly.  Not too surprising if you think about it as much of it was made based on now obsolete versions tested on starship.  BN2?  Hopefully it will at least do a low level hop or 2.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #128 on: March 15, 2021, 07:32:02 pm »
Static fire didn't happen today.  Maybe Tuesday with launch later this week, tentatively Wed 10 AM EST.

Orbital launch planned to be pre July 1st 2021.  Ambitious.  Very SpaceX.  :)

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #129 on: March 16, 2021, 08:09:50 pm »
Static fire didn't happen today.  Maybe Tuesday with launch later this week, tentatively Wed 10 AM EST.

Haven't read anything about these.
Are you talking about SN11, or another kind of prototype?

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #130 on: March 16, 2021, 08:30:30 pm »

Haven't read anything about these.
Are you talking about SN11, or another kind of prototype?

SN11.  The static fire yesterday was cancelled due to a fire in the engine chamber.  Cause of fire?? What burned??  New static fire wednesday maybe.  Launch I'm seeing conflicting info Friday or next Monday. 

Interesting note I saw a picture of one of the Chinese rockets and it has grid fins just like Falcon 9. 

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #131 on: March 19, 2021, 01:48:38 pm »
Apparently they are testing the SLS engines and NASA made a statement about it being the largest booster ever built.

SpaceX stacked the 2 parts of the BN1 and it is now the largest booster ever built.  Records can be fleeting things.  :)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #132 on: March 19, 2021, 02:42:14 pm »
The SN11 launch is supposed to be 10AM EDT Monday (currently and subject to change of course).

At 6:19 AM they are also launching a Falcon 9 Starlink mission. 

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #133 on: March 19, 2021, 05:02:11 pm »
The SN11 launch is supposed to be 10AM EDT Monday (currently and subject to change of course).

Thanks for the update.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #134 on: March 20, 2021, 11:16:59 pm »

Now they are both on Wednesday, Falcon 9 at 4:58 AM, Starship 11 AM.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #135 on: March 21, 2021, 06:59:55 pm »
The SLS has had a failed engine test.  Was supposed to be 8 minutes with 4 minutes for the required data but got less than 2 minutes before a shutdown.

Surprisingly they have redone the test successfully.  That is one major hurdle that could have blocked the launch in November.  Now if they can handle the Orion capsule problems. 

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #136 on: March 24, 2021, 11:57:04 am »

The Falcon 9 flew and landed (for the 6th time)

Starship is now scheduled for Friday 11 AM EDT.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #137 on: March 25, 2021, 10:47:44 am »
Now the launch is moved to Monday same time.

I have seen that some of the earlier changes have been due to weather not technical problems.  I also saw a mention that there is an agreement that SpaceX will avoid road closures during March Break so depending what dates for that it may apply too.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #138 on: March 26, 2021, 04:39:33 am »
And now it seems to be back to Friday again.   :smackhead:

Offline d4v1ks

• D.Net VIP
  • Lt.
« Reply #139 on: March 26, 2021, 11:46:50 am »
And now it seems to be back to Friday again.   :smackhead:

Watching it live! :popcorn: