Topic: This really ticks me off  (Read 2411 times)

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
This really ticks me off
« on: February 09, 2021, 11:03:08 pm »
The report says that following the incident they disabled remote access.  Why was it even enabled in the first place!  STOP CONNECTING EVERYTHING TO THE INTERNET!!!

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/08/us/oldsmar-florida-water-supply-hack.html

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Re: This really ticks me off
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 07:00:56 am »
Computers controlling things should not have internet connections unless the connection is required to do the controlling (not for the software to call home but to actually perform its function).  This includes things like cars.  If some functions need the connection such as a cars entertainment system they should be on computers disconnected from the actual controls.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 05:24:49 pm »
What's even more alarming is that they probably used Windows XP (Xtra Problems) as the operating system!!

XP the hacker's dream operating system!!

Should have used unhackable Vista.....
The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2021, 07:14:58 am »
The recent drama with the Colonial pipeline once more highlights why it is stupid to connect critical infrastructure to the internet.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2021, 08:18:13 pm »
Now consider Starship is having a Starlink connection.  Imagine a hacker taking control of the systems on the 1st orbital launch. 

What the Starlink is actually doing I don't know.  It is possible it is just streaming cameras and has no control system connections.  Hopefully they haven't made the mistake of linking in control systems. 
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2021, 01:57:01 pm »
"Hopefully they haven't made the mistake of linking in control systems".

Remember that stupidity knows no boundaries....... ::)
The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline Lieutenant_Q

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2021, 09:59:47 pm »
Connect Critical Infrastructure to Internet:  Save Money by employing fewer people to monitor the equipment, nothing bad can ever happen, right?

Its the same line of thinking when Banks say, we can save money by installing an off the shelf low end surveillance system.  Insurance will pay me if I'm robbed anyways, right?
"Your mighty GDI forces have been emasculated, and you yourself are a killer of children.  Now of course it's not true.  But the world only believes what the media tells them to believe.  And I tell the media what to believe, its really quite simple." - Kane (Joe Kucan) Command & Conquer Tiberium Dawn (1995)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2021, 04:11:54 am »
The "Hold my beer" syndrome.