Topic: Voyager 1  (Read 769 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Voyager 1
« on: April 23, 2024, 01:32:43 pm »
Voyager 1 is back in operation.  The Energizer bunny has nothing on Voyager.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Centurus

• Old Mad Man Making Ship Again....Kinda?
  • Captain
Re: Voyager 1
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2024, 08:47:33 am »
Voyager 1 is back in operation.  The Energizer bunny has nothing on Voyager.

They just don't make them like they used to!
The pen is truly mightier than the sword.  And considerably easier to write with.

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2024, 05:31:42 pm »
Do you think that Voyager 1 would still be running if it had been made in China??  ::)
The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2024, 02:48:32 am »
Do you think that Voyager 1 would still be running if it had been made in China??  ::)

With the technology they had in 1977?  Of course not.  It wouldn't have made it to orbit let alone where it is. 
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Tulwar

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2024, 01:40:26 am »
Panzergranate was referring to the Chinese lack of concern about customer satisfaction and their penchant for corruption, leading to "tofu dregs construction."  We still experience poorly manufactured crap in our stores.  We know they do some things right, like the 3 Gorges Dam.  If it were made like an ordinary infrastructure project, it would have killed millions of people, by now.  As it is product of hubris, to begin with, the dam is damned to collapse, before its time.
Cannon (can' nun) n.  An istrument used to rectify national boundries.  Ambrois Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

Offline knightstorm

• His Imperial Highness, Norton II, Emperor of the United States and Protector of Mexico
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2024, 01:05:46 am »
How far could it go if we could have built it with today's tech?  Could we have made it smaller and potentially faster, or could we have used the reduced weight to give it more plutonium.  Its  estimated that after 2035 there won't be enough power to run any of the instruments.

Offline Panzergranate

• Commander
  • Aw!! Da big nasty Klingon L7 killed da kitty kat!!
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2024, 05:46:56 pm »
If I remember right, it's running on Motorola 8 bit 6800 CPUs, which were the cutting edge of CPU technology, back then. Other options were the Intel 8080 and Signetics 2650, both of which are a tad lame, by comparison. The 2650 is rumoured to use female logic (my first computer (in 1977) used a 2650 CPU).
The Klingons have many ways to fry a cat. I prefer to use an L7 Fast Battlecruiser!!