Topic: "Welcome Back... Your Dreams Were Your Ticket Out" OR [i]You Can't Go Home Again[/i]  (Read 2119 times)

SirWilliam

Just re-installed/patched SFCII:EAW.  Started Klingon vs. ISC Campaign, Admiral level...

Back in, what, November? I bought SFCIII.  Until just now, I hadn't even looked at SFCII:EAW in at least 6 months.

Now granted, I've had a few tonight.  But Jesus.  It was like expecting a multiplication quiz and when the teacher says, "Go," you open up the folder to find a Reactor Physics exam in Quad Stereo.  It bugged me because not only do I know that RP can be quite the rude surprise anytime one runs into it (I had Homer Simpson's job when I was in the Navy,) but also because the sound effects really are much better in SFC3, so the 8-Track Flashback is kind of weird.

I stared blankly at the screen for some time.  For quite so long, in fact, that I was only awakened from my awed reverie by the flashing of phaser fire across my now not able to cloak Klingon guided missile frigate.  No problemo, if stealth won't work, a balls-to-the-wall head-on attack will.  All engines, ahead flank!  of course, except that when I hit the big fat "+" key, instead of "Maximum Speed," I hear, "High Energy Turn."

From the previous paragraph one can easily extrapolate the parabolic re-learning curve upon which I was at that time embarked.

After barely surviving with the aid of some giant Klingon battlecruiser that happened to show up, I had to take a break to write this.  I seriously think I almost had a seizure.  The game is SO MUCH more in depth, I had forgotten just how much.

Makes me sick to think about all the people that complain about how complex SFCIII is.

[staggers down drunkenly from soap box]

SW

Cleaven

There was a TNG episode where they retrieved Scotty from a transporter buffer, and he complained about not being able to feel the ship (or something like that) through the deck. I hope that you can now feel your ship through your boots.  

theRomulan

It's funny how SFC II shocks you when you come back to it.  If SFC III has done anything for me, itmade me finally realize just how damn good we really had it with SFC II.  I mean, there were the patches, the numerous bugs, the issues that either never got ironed out or were delayed, but in the end, SFC II is just a DEEP game.  It's not perfect SFB, but it's based strongly on it, and despite it's differences, it's still a deep game.  

My brother and I played SFC III together about five times.  The first few times it was like "cool, the game is definitely streamlined, easy learning curve, but there's just gotta be styles of gameplay, some deep stradegies we can find in terms of flying".  We get to the fourth try, the only flavor to the game is when I choose a cloaking race. Anything else, and we were basically jamming our fingers on the Z key at any range we wanted, scoring hits.  IT was a no brainer.  If SFC III has taught me one thing, it's that you'll spend more time thinking up wacky stradegies for not getting destroyed at every range thinkable, than you will in learning attack stradegies, because i'll tell you, there aren't really many different attack patterns you'll win with other than "fire at will".  

Needless to say, my brother, having never even played SFC II, had already decided that SFC III was quite the fickle game for his tastes.  Power to anyone on these threads that still likes that game. Power to Taldren for making it, I'm sure that it wasn't an 'easy' endeavor.  

Once I played SFC II, it was like the song "Got Till it's Gone" was playing in the background.  I had never joined a fleet, never played extensively, tried dynaverse, didn't see much fun or action, didn't seriously pursue it.  Now, I'm suddenly in the fleet thing, going on the gamespy for some matches, I practiced myself up to speed on the 7.35 server (the first one, not the current one), had about two memorable matches that taught me A LOT about how to fly Fed more effectively, and I now question why I gave myself the forum name "theRomulan".  Weird world, weird person.  But now I'm all pumped to get in on the Day of the Eagle stuff, and I love trying to hit with some of the worst weapons in the galaxy... you know, the photon torpedo that doesn't have a hit rate of 95% (What the hell!?!?!?) out to range 8 or 9, and a hit rate of like 67% at like range 20 or something.  you know, the photon that I can't just overload by sliding a bar and waiting a few seconds.  SFC II... yum.  

I like Pop Tarts!