Topic: CD key expiry dates?  (Read 7154 times)

Holocat

CD key expiry dates?
« on: March 27, 2003, 03:41:03 am »
Alright, now that badlands is up, i've been trying to find a nice, cozy OP niche, preferably near earth, and settle into seeing whether OP D2 is functioning or not.

Of course, as the title indicates, I haven't been terribly sucessful at logging on since patching to 2538.

I log on, no problem, I select badlands (the only server in town) and ask to join.  I get as far as "checking security" and then get dumped to the desktop.

This is, as I have had this happen once before, the "Type your CD key in correctly, stupid." error. No biggie, I thought, I'll just uninstall/reinstall, patch, add ED's missions, Firesoul's OP+ and type my CD key in correctly this time.

So I uninstalled OP, the SFC3 patcher (that's what seems to be responsible for 2538), and the SFC2 patcher (2525, several installs ago), delete the entire OP folder (in /games/sfcOP) and start over.  I look at my screen and the CD jewel case at least twenty times checking that everything's correct, clicking on enter only when I was positivly sure that I was typing the key in correctly.

Three installs later, i'm still being dumped to the desktop.  I am absolutely positive that what i've typed into the OP key insertion screen is what's on my jewelcase.

I'm using OP+ for 2538 (downloaded only yesterday) and ED's missions (3.0, downloaded yesterday).

The only things that strike me as odd in the last few installs is the patch results.  33 files were skipped because they were 'up do date' (which seems highly unlikely given that I had just uninstalled everything).  Other than than, I am largely clueless as to why OP has ceased to function in D2.  Back when there were servers on the 2525 patch, I COULD D2 when I so wished.

Anyway, is there any reason that I could be dropping for reasons other than a CD key 'problem'?  It seems unlikely, except for the patch...

Any help as to why this is happening would be appreciated,

Holocat.

Semper

Re: CD key expiry dates?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2003, 05:37:07 am »
Can't you change the CD-key on the fly ?

Start  ->  Run  ->  Regedit.exe  ->  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE ->  Software ->  Activision  ->  Star Trek Starfleet Command III  ->  KEY

^ ^ ^ One place where I have found the CD_Key is stored ^ ^ ^

- Semper -    
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Semper »

NuclearWessels

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2003, 08:34:05 am »
You might also want to complete the OP install, patch, and entering of the CD key before applying the OP+ (or any other) mod.

If you slip up installing mods, even OP+, you can get some interesting errors on startup (voice of experience, doh!)

dave

Holocat

Re: CD key expiry dates and the patch?
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2003, 08:03:13 am »
So you're saying that if I screw up installing mods, I may have to reinstall everything every time I mess up?  Wonderful.

/\ _ /\
 X  x
  =.=

I'm pretty sure it isn't a CD key problem;  I get the idea that if I have to imput those numbers again to many times more, i'll have the key memorized like my bank's PIN number .

Could anyone else tell me what the final result for patching from 2500 to 2538 was?  I remember that when I was patching to 2525, skipping, missing or anything other than all files replaced meant patching problems.

Anyway, back to the intresting sport of texture wrestling,

Holocat.

Pestalence

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2003, 02:49:30 pm »
Try this.. in this order :

Completely uninstall SFC OP using add/remove programs in Windows Control panel

Uninstall SFC III patcher like above

Delete the SFC III Patch folder

Delete the SFC OP folder

reinstall SFC OP

Launch game, enter CD key, Exit game

apply the 2500 to 2538 patch, do not patch in steps

launch game to make sure game is working correctly

add the EAW to OP missions first with the appropriate *.MCT files

Add the NW OP missions alsong with the appropriate *.mct files

(*.MCT files tells the game which scripts to use in Single player mode)

launch game and make sure that it works correctly in single player mode.. if not, then remove the NW OP missions and MCT files and try game again.. if it sitll doesn't work, then remove the EAW to OP missions and MCT files... game should function again..

then try just installing the NW OP missions and MCT files and test game.. if it crashes again, you have a corrupted file....

if it works on all the above in Single Player Mode, then DL and install the OP+ pack per instructions and then test game.. if it crashes.. retrace your steps on the OP+ Pack.. test in single player mode to make sure it works correctly...

once Single Player mode works correctly, then try online...

also make sure you are updated on your device drivers for video and sound and Direct X...

Hope that this helps

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Pestalence »

Holocat

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2003, 03:04:28 pm »
Waaaaait.  There's a SFC3 patcher folder?  Where?

hoping for OP+ badlands goodness,

Holocat.

Pestalence

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2003, 03:32:30 pm »
the folder is usually created next to your SFC OP folder.. uninstall sometimes removes it off of system, sometimes not.. just somethig to check... it is a folder name booboo but it is actually the SFC OP Patch folder

Holocat

« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2003, 09:39:28 pm »
You know, now that you mention it something else happens that's slightly odd, from the way you're telling me to do things.

I always enter the CD key after patching.  I do this because when I patch, it reasks for my CD key.  I thought it did that with the 2525, but I can't really remember now...

Is a non standard directory still a problem?  I played GSA fine a couple weeks ago or so with 2525, but the only times i've played D2 was waaaay back, and then I had OP in the default directory.

Anyway, I probably won't be playing much until i've finished all the tugs i've brought upon myself to do,

Holocat.

Gamester

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2003, 09:17:19 pm »
Well, if you installed OP in a non-standard directory, there is a problem with the installer. Specifically, it does not update the Working Directory paths on your Start Menu.

For Example:

Let's say you installed OP in the following directory:

C:\GAMES\SFC2OP

If you go to the Start Menu and into the Taldren folder and Right Click on Starfleet Command Orion Pirates and select Properties, you will see the following:

Target: C:\GAMES\SFC2OP\SFCOP.EXE
Working Directory:        * Blank *

In the above example, you would edit Working Directory to say C:\GAMES\SFC2OP

Also, while you're there, you could change the target to STARFLEETOP.EXE to skip the intro movie which can cause keyboard problems in Win2K/XP

I know that if the working directory on the shortcut is wrong, the game will exhibit odd symptoms such as fighters not working and others. . .

Gamester

Holocat

CD key expiry dates?
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2003, 03:41:03 am »
Alright, now that badlands is up, i've been trying to find a nice, cozy OP niche, preferably near earth, and settle into seeing whether OP D2 is functioning or not.

Of course, as the title indicates, I haven't been terribly sucessful at logging on since patching to 2538.

I log on, no problem, I select badlands (the only server in town) and ask to join.  I get as far as "checking security" and then get dumped to the desktop.

This is, as I have had this happen once before, the "Type your CD key in correctly, stupid." error. No biggie, I thought, I'll just uninstall/reinstall, patch, add ED's missions, Firesoul's OP+ and type my CD key in correctly this time.

So I uninstalled OP, the SFC3 patcher (that's what seems to be responsible for 2538), and the SFC2 patcher (2525, several installs ago), delete the entire OP folder (in /games/sfcOP) and start over.  I look at my screen and the CD jewel case at least twenty times checking that everything's correct, clicking on enter only when I was positivly sure that I was typing the key in correctly.

Three installs later, i'm still being dumped to the desktop.  I am absolutely positive that what i've typed into the OP key insertion screen is what's on my jewelcase.

I'm using OP+ for 2538 (downloaded only yesterday) and ED's missions (3.0, downloaded yesterday).

The only things that strike me as odd in the last few installs is the patch results.  33 files were skipped because they were 'up do date' (which seems highly unlikely given that I had just uninstalled everything).  Other than than, I am largely clueless as to why OP has ceased to function in D2.  Back when there were servers on the 2525 patch, I COULD D2 when I so wished.

Anyway, is there any reason that I could be dropping for reasons other than a CD key 'problem'?  It seems unlikely, except for the patch...

Any help as to why this is happening would be appreciated,

Holocat.

Semper

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2003, 05:37:07 am »
Can't you change the CD-key on the fly ?

Start  ->  Run  ->  Regedit.exe  ->  HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE ->  Software ->  Activision  ->  Star Trek Starfleet Command III  ->  KEY

^ ^ ^ One place where I have found the CD_Key is stored ^ ^ ^

- Semper -    
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Semper »

NuclearWessels

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2003, 08:34:05 am »
You might also want to complete the OP install, patch, and entering of the CD key before applying the OP+ (or any other) mod.

If you slip up installing mods, even OP+, you can get some interesting errors on startup (voice of experience, doh!)

dave

Holocat

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2003, 08:03:13 am »
So you're saying that if I screw up installing mods, I may have to reinstall everything every time I mess up?  Wonderful.

/\ _ /\
 X  x
  =.=

I'm pretty sure it isn't a CD key problem;  I get the idea that if I have to imput those numbers again to many times more, i'll have the key memorized like my bank's PIN number .

Could anyone else tell me what the final result for patching from 2500 to 2538 was?  I remember that when I was patching to 2525, skipping, missing or anything other than all files replaced meant patching problems.

Anyway, back to the intresting sport of texture wrestling,

Holocat.

Pestalence

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2003, 02:49:30 pm »
Try this.. in this order :

Completely uninstall SFC OP using add/remove programs in Windows Control panel

Uninstall SFC III patcher like above

Delete the SFC III Patch folder

Delete the SFC OP folder

reinstall SFC OP

Launch game, enter CD key, Exit game

apply the 2500 to 2538 patch, do not patch in steps

launch game to make sure game is working correctly

add the EAW to OP missions first with the appropriate *.MCT files

Add the NW OP missions alsong with the appropriate *.mct files

(*.MCT files tells the game which scripts to use in Single player mode)

launch game and make sure that it works correctly in single player mode.. if not, then remove the NW OP missions and MCT files and try game again.. if it sitll doesn't work, then remove the EAW to OP missions and MCT files... game should function again..

then try just installing the NW OP missions and MCT files and test game.. if it crashes again, you have a corrupted file....

if it works on all the above in Single Player Mode, then DL and install the OP+ pack per instructions and then test game.. if it crashes.. retrace your steps on the OP+ Pack.. test in single player mode to make sure it works correctly...

once Single Player mode works correctly, then try online...

also make sure you are updated on your device drivers for video and sound and Direct X...

Hope that this helps

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Pestalence »

Holocat

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2003, 03:04:28 pm »
Waaaaait.  There's a SFC3 patcher folder?  Where?

hoping for OP+ badlands goodness,

Holocat.

Pestalence

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2003, 03:32:30 pm »
the folder is usually created next to your SFC OP folder.. uninstall sometimes removes it off of system, sometimes not.. just somethig to check... it is a folder name booboo but it is actually the SFC OP Patch folder

Holocat

« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2003, 09:39:28 pm »
You know, now that you mention it something else happens that's slightly odd, from the way you're telling me to do things.

I always enter the CD key after patching.  I do this because when I patch, it reasks for my CD key.  I thought it did that with the 2525, but I can't really remember now...

Is a non standard directory still a problem?  I played GSA fine a couple weeks ago or so with 2525, but the only times i've played D2 was waaaay back, and then I had OP in the default directory.

Anyway, I probably won't be playing much until i've finished all the tugs i've brought upon myself to do,

Holocat.

Gamester

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2003, 09:17:19 pm »
Well, if you installed OP in a non-standard directory, there is a problem with the installer. Specifically, it does not update the Working Directory paths on your Start Menu.

For Example:

Let's say you installed OP in the following directory:

C:\GAMES\SFC2OP

If you go to the Start Menu and into the Taldren folder and Right Click on Starfleet Command Orion Pirates and select Properties, you will see the following:

Target: C:\GAMES\SFC2OP\SFCOP.EXE
Working Directory:        * Blank *

In the above example, you would edit Working Directory to say C:\GAMES\SFC2OP

Also, while you're there, you could change the target to STARFLEETOP.EXE to skip the intro movie which can cause keyboard problems in Win2K/XP

I know that if the working directory on the shortcut is wrong, the game will exhibit odd symptoms such as fighters not working and others. . .

Gamester