Topic: The long wait  (Read 5246 times)

Streamlock

The long wait
« on: January 22, 2003, 09:57:35 pm »
So, here I am.  Moo3 still is vapor ware.  I never bought SFC3.  Nothing against Taldren, or the Nexgen setting, but after reading some reviews and remarks on this board, I knew it just would not cut it after SFC1/SFC2.(At least for me.)  So in a personal gaming slump, nothing ST related out that interests me at the moment,(well Nemisis distracted me for 2 hours or so), I decided to swing back by to see if maybe, just maybe, GAW would be announced.  Or maybe Taldren decided to do something non ST.  (By the way, what ever happened to that game that Taldren supposedly purchased some kind of motion capture technology for? There was some tidbit atrlcle a while back about it. Some tyep of first person deal IIRC. Or did I remember the devolper wrong?)  But just SFC3 stuff.....Bummer.  So.....whats up Taldren, I know you guys have to pay off all that horrable Christmas debt.  

Oh yeah, do the SFB purests still visit this site.....Have not seen any for a while.

Still hoping for a game to pull me out my gaming slump.  

BuckStrider

Re: The long wait
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2003, 10:07:25 pm »
You have a better chance of seeing God

Mr. Hypergol

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2003, 12:26:47 am »
Quote:

Oh yeah, do the SFB purests still visit this site.....Have not seen any for a while.

I'm an SFB purist and I'm still here.  There are many more still active and lobbying for SFC4 Galaxies at War.

I'm not all SFB purist though.  I realize that just adding Andros and Tholians will not be enough to make the minimum sales of 300,000 units that Erik says must be the minimum.  GAW will have to be more than just SFC2 with 2 more races and new campaigns.

GAW must have new elements to sell well.

One idea is to expand the game to include "all eras" instead of just TOS.  Gameplay would be based on SFB in TOS era and "morph" to a TNG era that derives it's gameplay from SFB also but is still true to modern Trek (i.e. missles, slow plasma phased out, etc.).  Since Activision has all the Trek liscensing they should be able to make a game that spans the entire history of Trek wars from Enterprise to Nemesis.  Hopefully they make a game where the year of play selected (and not just broad eras) defines the races, map, ships, tech etc. available at that point in time.

The second idea is to add a strategic game based on F&E-like play on top of the great tactical play we already have.  We'd end up with a game that operates similar to the "Total War" series which is also made by Activision.  We'd have a game with strategic play that was just as deep as the tactical play.  The current tactical game would be used "optionally" to resolve battles set up by the strategic game.

Just some dreaming....but this is what I and others have been lobbying for the last 2 years.  So, join the GAW fan club!!!!  

ActiveX

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2003, 01:25:42 am »
Quote:

Well since God doens't exist, I guess it would be rather impossible...  

EmeraldEdge

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2003, 01:35:56 am »
Yeah, it was Taldren that got the motion capture stuff done.  It's for, I would guess, their game called (for the time being) Black9.  It's a non-trek game obviously, I think they said it was more of a 3rd person RPG-esqe type game.  They had screen caps posted a LONG time ago, but when the kanji site got swiped they never got put back, so they are a no go.  I had them on my comp at one point, but didn't keep them.  I believe that game is supposed to be out this year, and since they have said they are now working on their next game (i.e. rather than having the entire staff working on fixing SFC3) I would assume that is the game they are working on.  No word for what is after that, other than the poll Erik had asking what people would be looking for and willing to pay in a MMPOG.  

FireSoul

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2003, 01:56:44 am »
Quote:

I'd like to think that I count.. especially with my work for SFC:OP.
.. have you seen this work? .. it might give you a few more months for gameplay, you know.
-- Luc

APEXNETHOR

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2003, 03:33:22 am »
Sounds like a pretty interesting game title. it's funny but when ever I hear Taldrens name all I can think about right away is their Starfleet Command series of games.;)  

EE

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2003, 03:49:22 am »
Let me say this much about Black 9. If the artwork is any indicator of whats to come for Black 9, it will be simply OUTSTANDING.

I applied for the QA Job at Taldren for Black 9 but I didnt get it, I did get a tour of the Taldren Office and meet quite a few of the people who work there. Mark Phiffer, Dave or Dan ( cant remember, sorry ) and some of the artists. Black 9 will be bought the day it comes out since it deals with a genre near and dear to my heart, but since I dont know if I would be allowed to say what the genre is I wont. I recognised the genre just from the art but if they have not released any info, I will not.

I just have to say, it looks tight.

Damaged

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2003, 03:42:48 pm »
Quote:

GAW will have to be more than just SFC2 with 2 more races and new campaigns.

I'd settle for a WORKING Dyna, client/server model with full SQL allowing player drop-ins...

D6

TheSatyr

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2003, 03:55:54 pm »
I don't suppose Black9 is "Shadowrunish"?

I've been hoping SOMEBODY would do another Shadowrun based game ever since the old Sega Genesis version.  

EE

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2003, 04:38:31 pm »
AO ( Anarchy Online ) was very close to shadowrun.

Hale

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2003, 04:55:43 pm »
Quote:

I'd settle for a WORKING Dyna, client/server model with full SQL allowing player drop-ins...

D6

Hear hear!!!  

Streamlock

The long wait
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2003, 09:57:35 pm »
So, here I am.  Moo3 still is vapor ware.  I never bought SFC3.  Nothing against Taldren, or the Nexgen setting, but after reading some reviews and remarks on this board, I knew it just would not cut it after SFC1/SFC2.(At least for me.)  So in a personal gaming slump, nothing ST related out that interests me at the moment,(well Nemisis distracted me for 2 hours or so), I decided to swing back by to see if maybe, just maybe, GAW would be announced.  Or maybe Taldren decided to do something non ST.  (By the way, what ever happened to that game that Taldren supposedly purchased some kind of motion capture technology for? There was some tidbit atrlcle a while back about it. Some tyep of first person deal IIRC. Or did I remember the devolper wrong?)  But just SFC3 stuff.....Bummer.  So.....whats up Taldren, I know you guys have to pay off all that horrable Christmas debt.  

BuckStrider

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2003, 10:07:25 pm »

Mr. Hypergol

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2003, 12:26:47 am »
Quote:

I'm an SFB purist and I'm still here.  There are many more still active and lobbying for SFC4 Galaxies at War.

I'm not all SFB purist though.  I realize that just adding Andros and Tholians will not be enough to make the minimum sales of 300,000 units that Erik says must be the minimum.  GAW will have to be more than just SFC2 with 2 more races and new campaigns.

One idea is to expand the game to include "all eras" instead of just TOS.  Gameplay would be based on SFB in TOS era and "morph" to a TNG era that derives it's gameplay from SFB also but is still true to modern Trek (i.e. missles, slow plasma phased out, etc.).  Since Activision has all the Trek liscensing they should be able to make a game that spans the entire history of Trek wars from Enterprise to Nemesis.  Hopefully they make a game where the year of play selected (and not just broad eras) defines the races, map, ships, tech etc. available at that point in time.

The second idea is to add a strategic game based on F&E-like play on top of the great tactical play we already have.  We'd end up with a game that operates similar to the "Total War" series which is also made by Activision.  We'd have a game with strategic play that was just as deep as the tactical play.  The current tactical game would be used "optionally" to resolve battles set up by the strategic game.

Just some dreaming....but this is what I and others have been lobbying for the last 2 years.  So, join the GAW fan club!!!!  

ActiveX

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2003, 01:25:42 am »
Quote:

Well since God doens't exist, I guess it would be rather impossible...  

EmeraldEdge

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2003, 01:35:56 am »
Yeah, it was Taldren that got the motion capture stuff done.  It's for, I would guess, their game called (for the time being) Black9.  It's a non-trek game obviously, I think they said it was more of a 3rd person RPG-esqe type game.  They had screen caps posted a LONG time ago, but when the kanji site got swiped they never got put back, so they are a no go.  I had them on my comp at one point, but didn't keep them.  I believe that game is supposed to be out this year, and since they have said they are now working on their next game (i.e. rather than having the entire staff working on fixing SFC3) I would assume that is the game they are working on.  No word for what is after that, other than the poll Erik had asking what people would be looking for and willing to pay in a MMPOG.  

FireSoul

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2003, 01:56:44 am »
Quote:

I'd like to think that I count.. especially with my work for SFC:OP.
.. have you seen this work? .. it might give you a few more months for gameplay, you know.
-- Luc

APEXNETHOR

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2003, 03:33:22 am »
Sounds like a pretty interesting game title. it's funny but when ever I hear Taldrens name all I can think about right away is their Starfleet Command series of games.;)  

EE

« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2003, 03:49:22 am »
Let me say this much about Black 9. If the artwork is any indicator of whats to come for Black 9, it will be simply OUTSTANDING.

I applied for the QA Job at Taldren for Black 9 but I didnt get it, I did get a tour of the Taldren Office and meet quite a few of the people who work there. Mark Phiffer, Dave or Dan ( cant remember, sorry ) and some of the artists. Black 9 will be bought the day it comes out since it deals with a genre near and dear to my heart, but since I dont know if I would be allowed to say what the genre is I wont. I recognised the genre just from the art but if they have not released any info, I will not.

I just have to say, it looks tight.

Damaged

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2003, 03:42:48 pm »
Quote:

GAW will have to be more than just SFC2 with 2 more races and new campaigns.

D6

TheSatyr

« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2003, 03:55:54 pm »
I don't suppose Black9 is "Shadowrunish"?

I've been hoping SOMEBODY would do another Shadowrun based game ever since the old Sega Genesis version.  

EE

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2003, 04:38:31 pm »
AO ( Anarchy Online ) was very close to shadowrun.

Hale

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2003, 04:55:43 pm »
Quote:

D6

Hear hear!!!