Topic: It's been done before, I'm still gonna ask  (Read 3421 times)

theRomulan

It's been done before, I'm still gonna ask
« on: January 23, 2003, 02:35:25 pm »
I haven't seen too many good war stories lately.  I gotta reade 'em again.  I mean, I remember way back about the 'Autoclyus Maneuver', you know, when he took his opponent and literally tractored him out of the level.  That was a great story.  I know some people have got some good war stories as well.  I don't care if you won or lost the battle.  I don't have any stories that would impress any of the top players out there, but I might as well break the ice.  

My favorite battle was me in K D7T versus a Mirak light cruiser, I can't remember what class it was.  I just know that it had some ph2's, a good set of disruptors, a small missle rack and some fighters.  Anyway, the battle started out with the opponent just chucking missles at me, which was appropriate.  I fired my photons on proxy, but since my photon chucking skills are sub par, i found myself relying on ph1's a lot.  The opponent kept sending his fighters at me in waves of three.  I had to circle around, rotating the damage across my shields, using my phasers to take out missles, dropping mines to take out others....  So for the next twenty minutes or so i'm circling around, damaging and destroying his fighters while also holding off weapons fire to destroy his mutlitudes of missles.  Finally, I destroyed all of his missles... however, he also had been sitting comfortably in the back, his shields pretty healthy, his weapons charged, so it came down to me versus a cheaper version of a Klingon.  Needless to say, I dishonored the Homeworld and lost.  

Regardless, it was just a cool match.  Took a long time.  I had to manage my power in just such a way so that i could reinforce shields, shoot down mines followed by fighters, and place mines not to take out trailing ships but to knock out stray missles. I had to shut tractor defense on and off too.  It was just decent.  

Fornax

Re: It's been done before, I'm still gonna ask
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2003, 02:46:56 pm »
Um, I don't think there are any Mirak ships with Phaser2's in SFC.
Phaser 1's and Phaser 3's exclusively, which is what the Kzinti had in SFB.

There also are no Mirak carriers in SFC that have only 3 groups of fighters.
Most have two groups - but, there is a single one with 4 groups, the Z-CVA.

Interestingly, the Z-CVA mounts 4xDisr4, 4xDroB, 2xDroC, 7xP1, 13xP3.
It is, after all a Dreadnought class unit and understandably, flown competently,
you may not have won in a K-D7T even without the fighters.

Perhaps there was no dishonor?

theRomulan

Re: It's been done before, I'm still gonna ask
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2003, 02:55:13 pm »
Well, that goes to show I don't know what the hell I was flying against.  It didn't matter, I liked it nonetheless.  Every Kzinti ship looks the same to me anyway....