Topic: To Taldren and Dyna Admins : A Serious Notice  (Read 9797 times)

Pestalence

To Taldren and Dyna Admins : A Serious Notice
« on: April 21, 2003, 10:04:21 pm »
I am tracking prople who are looking for CD keys for SFC 3 as I have several different IP addresses logged in my web site that have came from search engines looking for SFC 3 CD Keys... thus proving Stolen Software....

one such entry is as follows :

Access Date = Sat Apr 19th 8:53pm    IP = 80.130.27.127 Referring Address = [ http://www.google.de/search?q=sfc3+cd-key  ]

Taldren and Server Admins... please keep an eye out for this IP address and immediately block access as this person is not looking for a CD crack, but a Warez Crack for illegal software to enable install and game play....

thanks

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Pestalence »

Demandred

Re: To Taldren and Dyna Admins : A Serious Notice
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2003, 07:02:16 am »
I doubt you can stop it happening, as most people are on dynamic IP addresses.  

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2003, 08:00:13 am »
Might this person on Deutsche Telekom AG simply be looking for
information on the CD-Key error? I wouldn't be so quick to jump.

If this person is indeed looking for a crack, a dynamic IP address will not save them
because Deutsche Telekom AG will have the DHCP records to allow identification of the NIC used to
perform this search. The physical location of the NIC (Network Interface Card) can then be
determined and potential terminals and users then identified. Once a likely suspect
is identified at the location of the NIC then charges can be laid.
(If the hacker is aware of pursuit - he can simply destroy the old NIC, install a new one
and force a DCHP lease renewal, but the ISP will still have the records.)
The problems that you may face with this approach is that the NIC used may have
been in a public location such as an internet cafe or library, or the search may
have been performed by a guest at another person's home.
This approach would also require the cooperation of German law enforcement.

I'm not even sure that somebody can be charged for searching for a crack,
but most likely can be for using one.

"Warez" or "crack" do not appear in the search string - neither does "error" mind you...

Shouldn't the protection scheme that is in place (when it works) prevent multiple logins
on the same CD Key anyway? (i.e. keep your's safe if you want to use it...)    
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by rajnsaj »

Pestalence

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2003, 09:19:54 am »
I do have a better suggestion for gaming companies....

since CD keys are for copywrite and sale protection of software... the multiplayer portion of games should CRC check legitimate CD keys for sold software... IE set up a CD key network in the software stores that sells software... this way, when buying a software title, the selling store enters the CD key into a secure network that updates the publisher/developers database to verify CD keys.. then when the player logs into the gaming server into game, game then checks this database for an authentic CD key.... and to check if it is already being used.... the player will have the original CD disk and can check with customer service for the software title by giving the UPC code off the game CD box as well as verify the game CD with the publisher... any unauthorized entry of the CD key prior to CD sale would then be recognized as stolen and charges could be pressed...

this is a plausable CD Key fix that woyld hinder hackers from making key gens for software... the hackers would have to hack the CD key database in the secure network in order to add an entry, which would have to match the store's access coding, password, and personell username, and employee code... thus making it much more difficult to publish warez on line or distribute illegally coppied software.....

Imagine how software is now.. even SFC 3 states upon CD Key insertion "It appears that your CD key is valid..."

in other words. the software can't tell if the software is valid or not....

another option is instead of the selling stores entering info into a data base.. the purchaser would need to contact the Customer service by toll free number to give purchase info from the store reciept and the CD key listed in the game box... then customer service can cross reference their database for legitimate published CD keys and keep record that way.. then game would CRC check for the specific CD key that was entered upon game install......

Just my $.02... but it would add security.... also the game box should have a separate security code to verify UPC is valid...

Pestalence

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2003, 09:27:03 am »
Quote:

If this person is indeed looking for a crack, a dynamic IP address will not save them
because Deutsche Telekom AG will have the DHCP records to allow identification of the NIC used to
perform this search. The physical location of the NIC (Network Interface Card) can then be
determined and potential terminals and users then identified. Once a likely suspect
(If the hacker is aware of pursuit - he can simply destroy the old NIC, install a new one
been in a public location such as an internet cafe or library, or the search may

"Warez" or "crack" do not appear in the search string - neither does "error" mind you...

Shouldn't the protection scheme that is in place (when it works) prevent multiple logins

the game does have the feature to prevent multiple CD key from logging in at the same time if the keys are identical... but the game should also include coding that reports Duplicate CD keys to the Publisher along with users IP addy, date time and if possible a Trace Route info to pinpoint location to a general area.. then the publisher should cross reference IP address with local services in that region and see who the user is, then report them to the local authorities and press full charges...

the game currently only verifies CD duplicate keys and prevents log in.. but no other security measures are taken...

at least that is what i figure during testing of game using a trace route software product that i have...

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2003, 09:36:11 am »
I like the first scheme better - not a bad idea at all.
It would not be too hard to build such a service.
That db would need to locked down tight though!

Funny, I was thinking recently that if I could come
up with a foolproof way to protect software I would be
RICH RICH RICH!!! $$$ !!! $$$...

(I don't buy lottery tickets...)  

Tulmahk

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2003, 08:09:36 pm »
I find it more than a little freightening that someone would be criminalized based on what internet searches they do.

The person in question did a search for "sfc3" and "cd-key".  A search that could be done for any number of legitimate reasons, only one of which is nefarious.

Giving up, or even limiting, our personal liberties to protect, of all the irrelevant things, game software is a very ugly path I hope we have the good sense to avoid.

Protect game software, but not at the expense of our protected freedoms.  

Alexander1701

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2003, 08:12:21 pm »
   Here here, Tulmahk!  

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2003, 09:23:15 pm »
Quote:

I find it more than a little freightening that someone would be criminalized based on what internet searches they do.

The person in question did a search for "sfc3" and "cd-key".  A search that could be done for any number of legitimate reasons, only one of which is nefarious.

That is part of what I was pointing out.

Quote:

Giving up, or even limiting, our personal liberties to protect, of all the irrelevant things, game software is a very ugly path I hope we have the good sense to avoid.

This freedom is an illusion, but that's neither here nor there.  

Aoav160

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2003, 11:12:10 pm »
"thus proving Stolen Software" seems to lack much proof. I have bought and registered all of my software before you make another claim, but are you 100% sure they were looking for a key/crack? Contact the FBI if it is legitimate instead of posting "evidence" on a BB.

Pestalence

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2003, 11:37:27 pm »
as a general rule of the internet... considering all the hacking web sites and warez sites and appz sites and etc ... doing a search in a digging search engine like google, which digs web sites deeply for their contents to match words, this leads me to believe that the person in looking for a CD Key to install a warez version of SFC 3....

If having CD Key Problems

A: if having CD key problems you always contact customer service of the publisher first

B: If having CD key Problems, contacting the software developer for Customer Service

C: going to the Publishers Forum Board and looking for information on related problems

D: same as C only at the developers forum

E and F : Post messages and send Emails to the respective companies asking for a solution to the problem.

these are legal ways of dealing with CD key issues.. doing a web search leads one to believe that they are trying to crack the software... any cracks, including No-CD cracks are illegal according to EULA that people agree to when installing software.... CD Keys being looked up brings to light that the person is trying to install the software and has not seen the EULA, thus installing Illegal Software DL'd from a warez or appz site...

CD Key is used for installing SFC 3 (upon first run of the setup.exe file) and is also used for verification during log in on a Dynaverse Server to check to see if that Key is in use...

The current server versions.. v504 .. releases CD keys correctly... the only errors concerning CD keys are on servers running Mods.. at least that is what research is showing on this issue concerning the v504 server kits.....

now to consider that the player is playing Unpatched, CD key is an issue, yes... however, the problem can be resolved by the 6 things i listed above... if not, then they can take the software back for either a refund or exchange to see if that works....

looking speciffically for a SFC3 CDKey makes me believe, in the world of Warez, that they were looking for a crack for the game... most probably for installing the game...

thanks

Pestalence

To Taldren and Dyna Admins : A Serious Notice
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2003, 10:04:21 pm »
I am tracking prople who are looking for CD keys for SFC 3 as I have several different IP addresses logged in my web site that have came from search engines looking for SFC 3 CD Keys... thus proving Stolen Software....

one such entry is as follows :

Access Date = Sat Apr 19th 8:53pm    IP = 80.130.27.127 Referring Address = [ http://www.google.de/search?q=sfc3+cd-key  ]

Taldren and Server Admins... please keep an eye out for this IP address and immediately block access as this person is not looking for a CD crack, but a Warez Crack for illegal software to enable install and game play....

thanks

Demandred

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2003, 07:02:16 am »
I doubt you can stop it happening, as most people are on dynamic IP addresses.  

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2003, 08:00:13 am »

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by rajnsaj »

Pestalence

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2003, 09:19:54 am »
I do have a better suggestion for gaming companies....

since CD keys are for copywrite and sale protection of software... the multiplayer portion of games should CRC check legitimate CD keys for sold software... IE set up a CD key network in the software stores that sells software... this way, when buying a software title, the selling store enters the CD key into a secure network that updates the publisher/developers database to verify CD keys.. then when the player logs into the gaming server into game, game then checks this database for an authentic CD key.... and to check if it is already being used.... the player will have the original CD disk and can check with customer service for the software title by giving the UPC code off the game CD box as well as verify the game CD with the publisher... any unauthorized entry of the CD key prior to CD sale would then be recognized as stolen and charges could be pressed...

this is a plausable CD Key fix that woyld hinder hackers from making key gens for software... the hackers would have to hack the CD key database in the secure network in order to add an entry, which would have to match the store's access coding, password, and personell username, and employee code... thus making it much more difficult to publish warez on line or distribute illegally coppied software.....

Imagine how software is now.. even SFC 3 states upon CD Key insertion "It appears that your CD key is valid..."

in other words. the software can't tell if the software is valid or not....

another option is instead of the selling stores entering info into a data base.. the purchaser would need to contact the Customer service by toll free number to give purchase info from the store reciept and the CD key listed in the game box... then customer service can cross reference their database for legitimate published CD keys and keep record that way.. then game would CRC check for the specific CD key that was entered upon game install......

Just my $.02... but it would add security.... also the game box should have a separate security code to verify UPC is valid...

Pestalence

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2003, 09:27:03 am »
Quote:

the game does have the feature to prevent multiple CD key from logging in at the same time if the keys are identical... but the game should also include coding that reports Duplicate CD keys to the Publisher along with users IP addy, date time and if possible a Trace Route info to pinpoint location to a general area.. then the publisher should cross reference IP address with local services in that region and see who the user is, then report them to the local authorities and press full charges...

the game currently only verifies CD duplicate keys and prevents log in.. but no other security measures are taken...

at least that is what i figure during testing of game using a trace route software product that i have...

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2003, 09:36:11 am »
I like the first scheme better - not a bad idea at all.
It would not be too hard to build such a service.
That db would need to locked down tight though!

Funny, I was thinking recently that if I could come
up with a foolproof way to protect software I would be
RICH RICH RICH!!! $$$ !!! $$$...

(I don't buy lottery tickets...)  

Tulmahk

« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2003, 08:09:36 pm »

Alexander1701

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2003, 08:12:21 pm »
   Here here, Tulmahk!  

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2003, 09:23:15 pm »
Quote:

That is part of what I was pointing out.

Quote:

This freedom is an illusion, but that's neither here nor there.  

Aoav160

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2003, 11:12:10 pm »
"thus proving Stolen Software" seems to lack much proof. I have bought and registered all of my software before you make another claim, but are you 100% sure they were looking for a key/crack? Contact the FBI if it is legitimate instead of posting "evidence" on a BB.

Pestalence

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2003, 11:37:27 pm »
as a general rule of the internet... considering all the hacking web sites and warez sites and appz sites and etc ... doing a search in a digging search engine like google, which digs web sites deeply for their contents to match words, this leads me to believe that the person in looking for a CD Key to install a warez version of SFC 3....

If having CD Key Problems

A: if having CD key problems you always contact customer service of the publisher first

B: If having CD key Problems, contacting the software developer for Customer Service

C: going to the Publishers Forum Board and looking for information on related problems

D: same as C only at the developers forum

E and F : Post messages and send Emails to the respective companies asking for a solution to the problem.

these are legal ways of dealing with CD key issues.. doing a web search leads one to believe that they are trying to crack the software... any cracks, including No-CD cracks are illegal according to EULA that people agree to when installing software.... CD Keys being looked up brings to light that the person is trying to install the software and has not seen the EULA, thus installing Illegal Software DL'd from a warez or appz site...

CD Key is used for installing SFC 3 (upon first run of the setup.exe file) and is also used for verification during log in on a Dynaverse Server to check to see if that Key is in use...

The current server versions.. v504 .. releases CD keys correctly... the only errors concerning CD keys are on servers running Mods.. at least that is what research is showing on this issue concerning the v504 server kits.....

now to consider that the player is playing Unpatched, CD key is an issue, yes... however, the problem can be resolved by the 6 things i listed above... if not, then they can take the software back for either a refund or exchange to see if that works....

looking speciffically for a SFC3 CDKey makes me believe, in the world of Warez, that they were looking for a crack for the game... most probably for installing the game...

thanks