Topic: I sincerely apologise...  (Read 16224 times)

Ravenstar

Re: I sincerely apologise...
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2003, 10:53:31 am »
Keep those Krolling Pins coming.....I didn't mean that!!...please no MARP this time......

Ravenstar  

KRolling

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2003, 11:09:19 am »
That's Star Fleet Issued Rolling Pins.... (SFIRP)  

KBF-Dogmatix

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2003, 11:35:25 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Additionally, I have come to realise that the american right can only
understand violence. Blood is their mother tounge.

As opposed to those notable peaceniks on the left like Lenin, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Hitler and Janet "Waco" Reno.

Don't let the door hit you in your head on the way out.  

Now there's a list of some truly nice Leftists!

heheh....I think the bannings are and have been out of hand in these fora.  I can see banning people for posting illegal or obscene material, but voicing political or unfavorable SFC-related opinions, no matter how distasteful, seems to go beyond what is required.  However, these aren't my fora, so I have no say in the matter.

When it comes down to it...who is really hurt by a couple of people verbally duking it out or some fanatic posting wacky beliefs.  I think the OT Forum is a blast.  If it's not someone's cup o' tea, all they have to do is not visit, eh?  No like?  No look!  It's that simple.

Harold Nez

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2003, 12:15:15 pm »
Quote:

If it's not someone's cup o' tea, all they have to do is not visit, eh?  No like?  No look!

Sounds good to me.  Peace.  

CptCastrin

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2003, 01:10:46 pm »
Sorry to see you go rajsaj, your tallents in making the game better will be missed.

Quote:

Taldren's tacit approval of claims of right-wing superiority is disgusting.
The composition of the moderating team is all you need to know.

As one if those afor mentioned moderators I'm not certain where that comes from. AFAIK there was no such bias in picking them, it was based on who volunteered and not on political bias (one way or the other mind you). That some are outspoken is not a reflection of all moderators so please be aware that painting all with same brush is an error.

Good luck to you rajsaj, hope we meet again someday.  

DarkElf

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2003, 01:50:56 pm »
I am sorry to see you go, rajnsaj.  You were a very positive part of this community.  I will definately miss you.

What could you possibly accomplish by threatening other people with different views than yours?
That removes all validity in any opinions you had.  Asking for everyone who has a different stance than you to be banned was also very selfish.  You accomplished nothing.  I am rather shocked; I always thought you to be a rational person...this was a waste.  I'm a rather sad, because you will not be around anymore, even more sad because of the circumstances.

I care not about anyones policial view, race, color or religion here.  This is a game for crying outloud!  We are here to have fun, and I have said it before many times.  People seem to forget what this game is about and why we are here.  Leave your problems at the door and have some fun!

I REFUSE to lose another person of this community again over something so stupid!  Rajnsaj is gone, and  banned as well.  All we can do now is learn from this and make sure this doesn't occur again.

BTW, Yesterday was my first visit to the Off Topic Forum.  It will also be my last visit there, I didn't like what I saw.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by DarkElf »

JMM

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2003, 02:44:39 pm »
Did I miss something while I was gone over the holiday weekend? Pray tell, tell me everything? Did we have ANOTHER person banned? I guess that I'm next then...  

Mavolic

« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2003, 02:44:41 pm »
You know, there is an ole' saying where I'm from...

Quote:

"If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen"

Apply that to the Off-Topic forum, before calling for it's demise.

Yes it can turn into a flame-fest at the drop of the pin, but there are plenty of good threads that get started there also.  Some of the best debates I've read on the 'net have happen there.

It's not to difficult to side-step the threads that will break out into a caranage laden flame-fest.  Common sense will tell you which ones.

I've seen plenty of flame-fest start on the D2 forum, so don't act like it's a Utopia outside the Off-Topic forum.

Off-Topic means just that.  If you have no intrest in discussing anything other than the SFC games, than don't go into the OT forum.   Pretty simple if you ask me.

Now about death threats issued, that's totally uncalled for.  And that's a rarity on the OT forum...

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2003, 08:44:58 am »
Damn....ya know....I pointed out the 55 gallon drums of fuel by the door...I showed ya where the firesuit rack was....I told ya we used candles for lighting....

And I sepecificly told you this fact....

Whats is said in the OT forum....stays in the OT forum....

Its a very simple  unwritten rule to live by...

Never confuse someones world view....with someones love of SFC....

When you tell someone they will lie in a pool of their own blood.....you  must also include the term "Federation P'tok" and use a smiley

I would also add....that 99.9 of us follow that unwritten rule...

JMM

« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2003, 11:42:05 am »
Not to justify Raj or his political beliefs, I will admit he made a killer download switch program that made it easy for us non file swappers. I shall miss him and his contributions. Politics aside, he was a good hearted person in my book.  

Fluf

« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2003, 11:45:19 am »
I have to agree with you JM, Rajnsaj bent over backwards for this community, and his talents will be missed.

Maxillius

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2003, 11:51:51 am »
Just too bad he couldn't keep his temper reigned in.  Gotta stop drinkin the Mt. Dew there, worked for me.

Kieran Forester

« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2003, 11:57:34 am »
Quote:

As opposed to those notable peaceniks on the left like Lenin, Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Hitler and Janet "Waco" Reno.  

Hitler was an extreme right-winger, not a left-winger.

KOTH-Steel Claw

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2003, 12:05:21 pm »
What Kieran just said.

J'inn

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2003, 12:07:41 pm »
Quote:

I have to agree with you JM, Rajnsaj bent over backwards for this community, and his talents will be missed.  

Thus my concern.   The theory of "if you don't like it don't look" notwithstanding,  there is a problem within a small community when people go bonkers and are subsequently kicked out.    Some people are not of the mind set to deal with hardcore public "debate" on social/political issues.  It just asks for people to go over the edge every now and then.

In a large community, no big deal, in one this small it is a problem when people working on major projects for the good of the community go over the edge.

Imagine if Karnak, Dave,  and Tracey all blew a gasket and were kicked out.  Then what? Maybe someone else would step in, maybe not.

As a result I do question whether the risk of a completely off topic, almost no holds barred, forum can be justified.

Should rajanaj have been booted?  Yes.   I saw some of the posts.  They were unbelievable.  Something really drove him over the edge.    My concern is, who's next to go nutso over something that has ZERO to do with the game and is guaranteed to cause strife in the future.

Hopefully it never happens again.  But the risk concerns me.

KOTH-Steel Claw

« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2003, 12:36:17 pm »

Quote:

Thus my concern. The theory of "if you don't like it don't look" notwithstanding, there is a problem within a small community when people go bonkers and are subsequently kicked out. Some people are not of the mind set to deal with hardcore public "debate" on social/political issues. It just asks for people to go over the edge every now and then.

In a large community, no big deal, in one this small it is a problem when people working on major projects for the good of the community go over the edge.

Imagine if Karnak, Dave, and Tracey all blew a gasket and were kicked out. Then what? Maybe someone else would step in, maybe not.

As a result I do question whether the risk of a completely off topic, almost no holds barred, forum can be justified.

Should rajanaj have been booted? Yes. I saw some of the posts. They were unbelievable. Something really drove him over the edge. My concern is, who's next to go nutso over something that has ZERO to do with the game and is guaranteed to cause strife in the future.

Hopefully it never happens again. But the risk concerns me.  

Unfortunately, people should realize that the off topic forums is just that, off topic. If what you read in there cheese's you off to the extent it did Raj, you shouldn't be in there. That is a known flame fest area and anyone who would take it too personally shouldn't go there.

I believe it is up to Taldren to keep or remove the section, JMHO.  

J'inn

« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2003, 12:48:46 pm »
Quote:

Unfortunately, people should realize that the off topic forums is just that, off topic. If what you read in there cheese's you off to the extent it did Raj, you shouldn't be in there. That is a known flame fest area and anyone who would take it too personally shouldn't go there.

I agree completely.  But, as per raj's example,  it will happen.   That's the problem.

Quote:

I believe it is up to Taldren to keep or remove the section, JMHO.  

Of course.   Not sure I like the idea of removal, however, just a little more oversight.  Right now there is an ongoing debate over who is a Nazi or not. As in people calling other players Nazis (and they ain't joking).   (Something I find odd and somewhat humorous on many levels.  If someone called me that I would find it funny.  I'd also wonder where my military back pay from the Reich was also, DARNIT I still haven't gotten my check!)  However, some people are near the gasket blowing point.  But there it is.

Of course this is all academic.

Maxillius

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2003, 12:53:50 pm »
Hence the reason why you won't find many free-topic forums of the nature of our OT forum.  They're horribly hard to moderate, usually huge flame fests fed by nothing (or everything) in particular, and generally a headache for the rest of the community, whatever it is.  Taldren knew what they were getting into when they created OT, so if they want it there, that's the end of it.  Ours is so full because it's the only one I've found since the destruction of Anti-Social.com (and I swear I saw Don Dawson there) 4 years ago.  I loved those forums, and they were a helluva lot more hostile than our OT is (and hopefully will ever be).  They even had a separate 'Rant' section for the propane-fed flame fests.  Too bad the guy ran out of money or I'd post a link over in OT to take their anger there every week or so.  I think he still sells the T-shirts at Rhubarb.com, so if someone wanted to help the world out by recreating the sole anger vent I so sorely miss, that would be the place to start.

EDIT:  I don't know what they're trying to do now, but it's quite obviously not what it was 4 years ago!!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2003, 01:07:07 pm by Commander Maxillius »

Kroma_BaSyl

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2003, 01:26:04 pm »
Well I for one am sick and tired of all the tutuphobic, neo-nazi, communist trying to keep a good Gorn down. If Taldren doesn't ban all the tutu haters I swear I will take the tutu off. Then the real flaming will begin.

Maxillius

« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2003, 01:27:43 pm »
Quote:

Well I for one am sick and tired of all the tutuphobic, neo-nazi, communist trying to keep a good Gorn down. If Taldren doesn't ban all the tutu haters I swear I will take the tutu off. Then the real flaming will begin.  

Where's KRolling and her MARPs when you need her???