Topic: C++.Net  (Read 5812 times)

Rod O'neal

C++.Net
« on: January 17, 2003, 12:01:47 am »
Since 6.0 is no longer available, can anyone at Taldren, or anyone else for that matter, tell me if C++.Net works on any of the SFC games?

NuclearWessels

Re: C++.Net
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2003, 08:38:24 am »
The response to this the last time it got asked was more-or-less "we don't think there should be any problems", but I haven't heard from anyone who has actually tried it yet.

I'll see if I can dig up the actual response in a bit.

dave

Rod O'neal

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2003, 12:37:52 am »
Thanks Dave, As far as I knew noone in the comunity had tried it. I was hoping though  

Toasty0

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2003, 02:18:53 am »

I just installed the VC++.Net IDE this past Wednesday. Upon coding the obligatory console "hello world" I have discovered that an extra line of code is required that is not with VC++6.

I have tried a couple other beginner exercises and have found code that compiles with VC++6 does not with VC++.Net2002.

I haven't tried either the OP or EAW API yet. Kind of saving myself for the SFCIII API.  

Best,
Jerry  

{edit: I misspoke---the code will compile ok, but it'll exhibit diffirent behaviours. One of them being the console window closure upon execution...etc}
« Last Edit: January 18, 2003, 02:23:02 am by Toasty0 »

Rod O'neal

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2003, 11:03:44 pm »
If you wouldn't mind, let me know if you try it with any SFC. I'd hate to plop down the $110 and find out it doesn't work. The only thing I'll probably ever use it for, or try to use it for, is scripting. I've messed around a little with C++6.0 writing scripts. All I have is the learning version. Contrary to what I've read, you can save and compile with it. You just have to enter past those annoying pop-up windows that tell you that the license agreement doesn't allow you to distribute anything. Anyway, I'd really like to try some better, more involved scripts. I can't believe that there isn't anyone at Taldren who's used it
Oh well, thanks for sharing what you've done so far.

Karnak

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2003, 06:15:00 pm »
Quote:

If you wouldn't mind, let me know if you try it with any SFC. I'd hate to plop down the $110 and find out it doesn't work. The only thing I'll probably ever use it for, or try to use it for, is scripting. I've messed around a little with C++6.0 writing scripts. All I have is the learning version. Contrary to what I've read, you can save and compile with it. You just have to enter past those annoying pop-up windows that tell you that the license agreement doesn't allow you to distribute anything. Anyway, I'd really like to try some better, more involved scripts. I can't believe that there isn't anyone at Taldren who's used it
Oh well, thanks for sharing what you've done so far.  

The problems is that the add-ons:

CreateSript.dll and ScriptObjectWizardAddin.dll

are not COM server objects that can be ported to managed extensions used by .Net.  So, to put it bluntly, you cannot use this IDE.

You can find $25 to $50 versions of Visual C++ 6.0 Standard Edition on Ebay.com.  
« Last Edit: January 21, 2003, 06:16:21 pm by Karnak »

Rod O'neal

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2003, 10:27:12 pm »
Quote:

are not COM server objects that can be ported to managed extensions used by .Net.  So, to put it bluntly, you cannot use this IDE.

You can find $25 to $50 versions of Visual C++ 6.0 Standard Edition on Ebay.com.    

Thanks for telling me. I guess I'll have to take that route. I hate buying stuff online or mail order though. I've been in retail my whole life and much prefer supporting the "local" economy. If no one local has it though...

Toasty0

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2003, 12:23:43 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for telling me. I guess I'll have to take that route. I hate buying stuff online or mail order though. I've been in retail my whole life and much prefer supporting the "local" economy. If no one local has it though...  

Try your local University or Community College book store. I know that CCCC here in Las Vegas was still stocking VC++6 for its spring semester C++ classes.

Btw, just for the record, VC++.Net 2002 is not .Net dependent or restricted.

Best,
Jerry  

Karnak

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2003, 09:14:29 am »
Quote:

Btw, just for the record, VC++.Net 2002 is not .Net dependent or restricted.

Yep, it's only the Taldren DLLs that are incompatible. I would guess that when the SFC3 API comes out Taldren will supply up to date DLLs if they are used.  

Toasty0

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2003, 03:28:25 am »
Rod,

Before you completely dismiss VC++.Net2002 you might wanna take a gander at this  MS resource for VC++.Net2002.

Best,
Jerry  

Rod O'neal

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2003, 10:51:52 pm »
Thanks all for your responses. I especially like the idea of checking out the college bookstores. Hopefully, when the SFC3 API comes along it'll be .net compatible. If so I'll most likely upgrade. Thanks again

Toasty0

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2003, 03:23:30 am »
For those of you who're interested in VC++.Net2002 and 2003 the MS site,GotDotNet has finally activated and staffed their VC++.Net forums.

Best,
Jerry