Topic: EAW or OP, which is better when fully patched?  (Read 16027 times)

mathcubeguy

EAW or OP, which is better when fully patched?
« on: June 01, 2003, 11:41:46 am »
Im going to install one right now since my computer is crapping out on letting me play 3 without having to wait ten minutes for my mouse to move across the screen...

Which of the SFC 2 games works best when fully up to date?

Tommy20

Re: EAW or OP, which is better when fully patched?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2003, 01:11:53 pm »
Quote:

without having to wait ten minutes for my mouse to move across the screen...

when this happens to me i usually change the batteries in my cordless mouse  

p.s that is if u have a cordless one  

Scipio_66

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2003, 01:19:51 pm »
Quote:

Im going to install one right now since my computer is crapping out on letting me play 3 without having to wait ten minutes for my mouse to move across the screen...

That would be EAW.  Same as it has ever been.  

-S'Cipio

FireSoul

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2003, 01:20:26 pm »
currently, for D2 online play, EAW has SQL while OP doesn't.. but otherwise it seems just about equal ..

.. as for GSA play, I really.. *REALLY* wonder why people insist on playing EAW over OP. Really.. What the hell are you guys doing over there in that other room/channel? Hrm?!?
OP's more stable, and has more features.

-- Luc

Scipio_66

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2003, 01:31:06 pm »
Quote:

currently, for D2 online play, EAW has SQL while OP doesn't.. but otherwise it seems just about equal ..

.. as for GSA play, I really.. *REALLY* wonder why people insist on playing EAW over OP. Really.. What the hell are you guys doing over there in that other room/channel? Hrm?!?

-- Luc  

I've always found OP to be less stable and more prone to lag.  <shrug>

I know EAW has SQL support, but I'm not aware of anyone using it for a big public server.  The current SG3 campaign is using the flatfile because SQL doesn't seem to like having a lot of players on at once.  Hopefully admins are still trying to solve this.  What EAW truly has is a dynaverse and a map that work with less bugs and fewer admin headaches.  And fewer outside-of-the-source material features that no one wanted anyway.  

-S'Cipio

FireSoul

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2003, 02:06:16 pm »
Quote:

I know EAW has SQL support, but I'm not aware of anyone using it for a big public server.  The current SG3 campaign is using the flatfile because SQL doesn't seem to like having a lot of players on at once.  Hopefully admins are still trying to solve this.  What EAW truly has is a dynaverse and a map that work with less bugs and fewer admin headaches.  And fewer outside-of-the-source material features that no one wanted anyway.  

I would be prone to believe the contrary, actually.. ..
Betcha the 2 games have the same lag.

Anyways.. I play OP pretty much exclusively .. because I don't see why play EAW when there's so much more on the other side of the fence.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by FireSoul »

The_Infiltrator

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2003, 02:40:42 pm »
2 Things: OP's D2 is broken, and the horrible X ships. Remove both as a factor and it's better.

FireSoul

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2003, 02:45:12 pm »
Who said OP's D2 was broken?
.. have you tried it since the last patch? ..  

.. and as for the Xships, you don't have to play them if you don't want to. You know that.

kosh2000

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2003, 02:54:52 pm »
Here i will say it  i dont care flame suit is now on

EAW SUCKS

OP  ROCKS  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by kosh2000 »

FireSoul

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2003, 03:51:20 pm »
I wouldn't say that it sucks. It's a far cry better than nothing at all..

.. but I agree that OP is better. It completely confuses me to watch people play EAW .. and insist on it too.

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2003, 05:10:01 pm »
That is a trick question, as neither game is fully patchable, as the games were never 100% finished/corrected.

That being said, EAW has ALL the patches it is going to get, whereas OP has the gameplay portion of the last patch, but not the multi/D2 part of the patch, so EAW is more stable/less likely to cause you to put a 10mm hole in your monitor than is OP.

Once OP gets the multiplayer part of the patch and IF it works... then there will no longer be a reason to play EAW as it is inferior in the availablity of ships, races, weapons, etc.

HAND!

FireSoul

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2003, 06:07:00 pm »
Again, AJTK, I disagree.

OP beats EAW hands down in standard multiplayer and single player modes.
As for the D2, I hear that even on EAW they use the flatfile DB for the big servers.

This is my opinion: There is no way in hell EAW is better than OP.
-- Luc

Magnum357

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2003, 06:12:27 pm »
Heck, I like both games.  I just wish I could play OP on Gamespy just once.  I haven't tried playing EAW on GS but I should experiment and see if I can.  If OP can fix multiplayer and I'm able to at least play on GS, I would pick OP over EAW.

Hey, does anyone know where I can get the latest patch for EAW?  I have the latest for IP (2538) but I can't play on GS for some reason (I'm just a modem user).  I would like to experiment playing EAW online since I can't do it with OP.  

EmeraldEdge

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2003, 06:50:12 pm »
The latest EAW patch can be had here I believe:

http://www.sfcx.org/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=1

You can also get the OP patch from SFCX, as well as a variety of other downloads, including the mission packs and shiplists.  

EmeraldEdge

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2003, 06:51:34 pm »
Oh, and OP no contest.  It's just got more, and you don't certain things you don't have to use it so...  

FireSoul

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2003, 06:57:37 pm »
Quote:

Heck, I like both games.  I just wish I could play OP on Gamespy just once.  I haven't tried playing EAW on GS but I should experiment and see if I can.  If OP can fix multiplayer and I'm able to at least play on GS, I would pick OP over EAW.

Hey, does anyone know where I can get the latest patch for EAW?  I have the latest for IP (2538) but I can't play on GS for some reason (I'm just a modem user).  I would like to experiment playing EAW online since I can't do it with OP.    

Do you play with a personal firewall program on the machine itself, or any machine along the way? That may cause problems. We have knowledge of all the needed ports for GSA play.

T-Rex_IEA

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2003, 07:14:16 pm »
here is a news flash for all who have been saying OP is better than EAW and vice versa,

op IS eaw and eaw IS op. The only real differnce in the two is the ship selection and the differnt bugs each has. They both play the same for me i.e., same game engine, therefore same gameplay. there is no real gameplay differences at all.

In my humble opinon OP should have been a true expansion to EAW, and many others believe this as well, That ios why most old timers dont play it, its not because that it is bad but because of the way it was released. Taldren kinda stabbed everyone in the back on that one. They COULD have made it a stand alone AND an EAW expansion but chose not to, SO we are stuck with two almost identical games to play .

I say Live with it and play whichever one you want to.

T-rex  

Cleaven

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2003, 07:36:10 pm »
Being somebody who plays online from a long ways away, I have found OP to be more stable for multiplayer, in so far as I don't drop as much. There are still the occasional D2 problems but it is probably not right to compare the lastest EAW server with 30 or 40 on it, to OP with 10-15 players.

So, with the latest updates making the OP weapons and rules the same as EAW, OP wins on gameplay because it has extra weapons, graphics, and stability.

D2-wise there are now features, like neutral co-op that seems to mostly work which, in my mind, leaves EAW for dead. The only hindrance is that admins are more familiar with using the older, simpler EAW server settings. But, like a petrochemical economy, it can't last. EAW is listed as final, while OP is awaiting at least one more update. Not to say that somebody couldn't do again to EAW, but what's the point? If you are going to spend time adding to a game, then add to OP on the basis of coding lessons learnt from SFC3 which is supposed to be based on the OP code. (OP is supposed to a generation ahead of EAW in code but I have only had this explained to me by outsiders.)

When OP-D2 didn't work there was no question. Now that OP D2 has been demonstrated as no longer suffering from the old problems this is no longer a valid stance.

I'm pretty sure OP uses a later version of DirectPlay too.    

FireSoul

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2003, 07:45:13 pm »
I ran 'strings' on the OP exe. It is a small linux application that removes any non human-readable charaters and allows you to read any text left. .. and based on the symbols I saw, the 2 games use the same DirectPlay version. In fact, I'm pretty sure this game would run on DirectX 7!

.. however.. to call both games "identical" .. HELL NO.  They may be very similar, but they are far from being identical. Hell, I submit my shiplist as a good reason to play OP over EAW.

-- Luc
FireSoul

Cleaven

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2003, 08:09:51 pm »
I guessed that a later version of DirectPlay was the reason for the better stability.  

NannerSlug

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2003, 10:43:22 pm »
no contest.. OP.

the only problem with OP presae - is the dyna hex thing with the pirates layer underneath.

op as a matter of fact has always had more stable multicode than EAW. it is also true that no campaign that i am aware of actively uses sql - thats op or EAW..

op has more arcs (boom arcs anyone?), more ships (wyn,LDR, some monitors)- and an advanced era.

i agree - i have never understood why some believe that eaw is superior. its not. if i had to put my money somewhere - it would be in op.

3dot14

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2003, 01:27:44 pm »
Guys: Being Good and Being Popular are two different facts.

OP is Better, EAW is more popular.

GE-Raven

« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2003, 01:46:25 pm »
EAW is better now in my mind for one reason...

No one plays OP on GSA.

70 or so everynight for EAW.  There it is folks... when you get EVERYONE to move... I might too.

GE-Raven

jimmi7769

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2003, 01:52:28 pm »
Maybe if you move everyone else will follow.

The_Infiltrator

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2003, 01:54:20 pm »
The simple fact is that as long as there are X ships in the default shiplist many won't come within miles of it.

NannerSlug

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2003, 02:00:39 pm »
therein lies the most (pardon the rudeness) LAME excuse ive ever heard. there is no reason in the world that those people have to use or play with x ships. in fact, even on a server, the FYA can be pushed back so far or simply removed from the shipyard completely - all without having to do a think to the shiplist.

so, it is a very narrowminded and poor excuse. however, i do know that it exsist.

thanks.

Lepton1

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2003, 02:21:18 pm »
I think there is a rather easy way to settle this point.  Sales.  How many copies of EAW were sold vs OP.  I suspect OP sales were low and encompassed a larger fraction of novices who rarely played it and dumped it considering the low player base for OP.  I myself bought OP after having a friend's install of EAW and SFC1 purchased with my own money on my machine for a while which I had gotten out of.  I stopped playing OP altogether for just the reasons above, no players, no dyna, X ships BS.

While OP might be "better" because it has more "stuff", I still don't think it has a player base especially if sales were low and new copies are hard to come by.  Why hunt around for OP when you already have EAW fully patched with working dyna and consistent player base?

Be that as it may, what has OP really got to offer?  Phaser arcs?  New ships?  Supposed stability?  Oh, yes!  Pirates!  Don't think the whole pirate thing has enough umph, enough meaningful context to be compelling.  Look at player race preferences.  Most played races are TOS races with feds leading substantially. Throw in some pirates no one has ever heard outside of SFB  that are not fully SFB implemented (custumization of ships, etc) and you have a recipe for a yawn.

Doesn't seem like enough to entice me to switch nor most people who have EAW and are comfortable with it.   BTW are magic photons still in effect in OP?

Fact is Taldren shot itself in the foot with OP.  While they may have had the best intentions, the fiasco ruined any transition to OP.

kosh2000

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2003, 02:36:37 pm »
pirates not fun  i guss you never played on the triangel then and no dyna on op hmm some of the biggest servers where and still are on op .

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2003, 04:20:12 pm »
I find myself in agreement with Nanner... this is MOST disconserting!

HAND

FireSoul

« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2003, 04:24:15 pm »
Look. I'll let you guys figure it out: I have some testing to do, and then a shiplist to start updating.

-- Luc

CptCastrin

« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2003, 05:17:58 pm »
Hmmm, I could write a huge / long post on the pros and cons of both. I started in SFC1 and have played (and admined / hosted) in many online matches and campaigns. However I will refrain.

Sufice it to say it's your call. OP and EaW are great games. IMHO it's OP that wins but understand that's my take.

I will say this however, all the reasons that people have given here as to why they think OP is not worth the effort is just more FUD posting by those "hurt" by Taldren putting out a standalone game instead of an expantion to their first love. The fact is that if this game (OP) HAD been made as an expansion then EaW would have almost completely disapeared as a game. OP uses a new graphics engine and polishes much of the base game mechanics as well as adds some good (and bad) new toys. All that would have replaced the EaW versions thus EaW would have become OP! (However you'd still have those players that would refuse to install it and remain "pure" EaW so the current split would probably still been there, they just wouldn't be such a huge majority.)

I only wish they had made it an expansion, it's a better game and would have closed out EaW by allowing Taldren to drop support instead of forcing them to bow to those that just won't let go. But they didn't ... I wonder if anyone ever thought that maybe that was, by some fluk, by design. Or maybe they should just count their lucky stars that they still have an EaW to play and it was never "expanded" on.

Play OP or EaW as you wish. As for me I'll stick with OP which is a better game IMHO.  

mathcubeguy

« Reply #31 on: June 02, 2003, 05:32:24 pm »
Can you flip hexes in OP or is that still broken? That was the whole thing I was woried about and should have been what I asked in the first place. Sorry for the trouble...

CptCastrin

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2003, 05:39:16 pm »
Flipping hexes works just fine IF the map is setup correctly. Come out to Tech Wars and see.

We are having a base issue but it doesn't seem to be game related. More likely it's a setting on the server (or a mission problem) but we're working on it. If you are going to come out to Tech Wars be sure and visit www.sfcx.org first and pickup the OP+ and ED Mission packs (in SFC:OP section in Downloads) and "install" them (readmes are included).

Hope to see you out there!    
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by CptCastrin »

Cleaven

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2003, 06:04:32 pm »
Quote:

Can you flip hexes in OP or is that still broken? That was the whole thing I was woried about and should have been what I asked in the first place. Sorry for the trouble...  

Some people just don't listen, and even then they still ask the wrong questions.

Good luck in whatever you do.  

Bonk

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2003, 06:05:12 pm »
So flipping hexes works -  if you make all pirate races
non-playable and make all hexes on the cartel map belong
to one cartel which is allied to all empires?
That sounds broken to me.

(Is this the "more complicated" server gf setting that was mentioned? -  bah!)

I am currently testing a customised multi-race shiplist on OP and
have just discovered that I do NOT really have 15 races to work with
but only eight, as in EAW, as outlined above. I am going to have to
bump 3 empires from the shiplist (or combine as in SG3) in order
to achieve the desired effect.

I have noticed other issues that I will not outline here that I have never
seen in EAW.

The "Masters Arena" has been running on SQL for some time now.
(Granted it is not popular...) SQL allows me to play on a D2 server
from behind the same router (with loopback) because I can edit my
IP address in the SQL db - allowing me to be drafted properly.
(But one feature of SQL - It will support higher player numbers
but this has NEVER been properly tested - LB3 was our best chance to
test but this was lost.)

FireSoul, does this mean that Arctic has finished his patch and we will
have SQL for the OP D2? Or at least the cartel map will be fixed?

CptCastrin

« Reply #35 on: June 02, 2003, 07:15:44 pm »
Quote:

Incorrect.  You have to set all pirate cartel hexes NEUTRAL. But if you wanted to you could include pirates and they would affect the hexes much like they did. The pirates are purely optional now. As for ridiculing this as not "more complicated", well, not all are such an "expert" as you.  

Quote:

Have you ever seen anyone say that there are 15 races in OP? Please provide a link. There have ALWAYS been 8 races and 8 pirates and they have ALWAYS been seperate. Get your information right before making assumptions that just make you another FUD poster.

Quote:

seen in EAW.

That's because it is OP not EaW. If you assume that it will work just like EaW then ... well, you know what they say about assuming.

Quote:

test but this was lost.)

That's nice but SQL was not put in to correct your playing issues. As for high player numbers I will agree that testing has been dreadful and on the few times that it was used on a EaW campaign the results were not good.

Quote:

Articfire has not been heard from (at least not on these forms) for a long time. No one can tell what his status is. Regardless many of us continue to work to improving OP. Hopefully we will get SQL support too but ...

Bonk

« Reply #36 on: June 02, 2003, 07:34:10 pm »
Thanks for the tips and pleasant reply Castrin,

Umm, ANYONE who tries to play on a D2 server from behind
the same router will not be able to be drafted unless they can
edit the live db. This is not just my playing issue. You know full well
what other advantages SQL has over the flatfile.

Oh and thanks for your ASSumptions - I never made any comments like this.
Sigh - make a valid point on these forums and your person is attacked - never fails.

OK then, I do not have eight races and eight pirate cartels to work with,
just eight races - there happy? (sufficiently pedantic?).

I have been unable to affect the DV of any hex as a pirate in any way.
I'll let you know when I do. (have tested from three of eight cartels on the stock map)

Thanks again, I'm sure you're really a nice guy that just gets a tad defensive about OP.

FireSoul

« Reply #37 on: June 02, 2003, 08:18:22 pm »
Quote:

Thanks again, I'm sure you're really a nice guy that just gets a tad defensive about OP.

You wouldn't believe the amount of time we've put into it either. It's our favorite.

Cleaven

« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2003, 10:00:33 pm »
Quote:

This is wrong. You can be drafted. But you will be unable to answer the draft. This is based on you having a home router that is not fully NAT capable for more than one internal address. Larger commercial systems would not have this issue, as seen in local nodes for cable suppliers.
The way you phrase it also indicates a misunderstanding, in so far as you can get the exact same response from a router where the port triggering does not work correctly, ie you can draft, but can't answer on the required port when drafted by others (which has nothing to do with SQL).

Bonk

« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2003, 11:05:15 pm »
Well all I know is that if you are local to the D2 server it will see your local IP address
which is useless. Yes, you can be drafted but the mission will count down to zero
as your local IP address cannot be seen from the internet.

So, if I edit my IP address in the DB, drafting will work.

As I understand it, the router has nothing to do with why the D2 server sees the local IP address
an not the WAN address. One public IP address is all I have. If you are local to the D2 server it
will always see the local IP address.

Have you ever run a D2 server (on both the flatfile and SQL) behind the same router as a client?
If so then maybe you can explain this further to me, as the experience would add credibility to your claims.

"This is based on you having a home router that is not fully NAT capable for more than one internal address"
um, why does port forwarding work to multiple internal addresses then?

This is most confusing.

EDIT: I must emphasise that the D2 server sees YOUR LOCAL IP ADDRESS - it does not matter
what port the client responds on if the IP address in the db is a local one, it just will not work.

Edit Again ( ): The real question here, as FireSoul has hinted, is, will the cartel map be fixed
in the next patch? Will SQL be added? Is there really another patch for OP coming?

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Bonk »

FireSoul

« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2003, 11:25:36 pm »
Quote:

Have you ever run a D2 server (on both the flatfile and SQL) behind the same router as a client?

Yeah, I PPTP to my work fetching an IP from there. That way I can play at the same time as a server, or at the same time as another player on my internal LAN which would use the standard portforwards.

.. seriously, the above DB hack is interesting, but will not define which game is better.  It is a personal problem of yours or any other D2 admin only.  

Bonk

« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2003, 11:32:34 pm »
Certainly, I am not arguing that it makes the game better,
this sidetrack has led us down the garden path on this thread.

Interesting that obtaining another public IP by PPTP will work,
I hadn't thought of that, but don't have access to such a server anyway.

What I am really interested in is whether OP is going to get another
patch and whether it will fix the cartel map and would it include
support for SQL? (please, pretty please tell me it is so!)

P.S. I always play OP for direct TCP/IP games - originally because of your
shiplist but now because I am doing my best to complete the SFB OP shiplist
started by gman and used by CJ in his UltimateTOS mod for OP.  

FireSoul

« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2003, 11:36:00 pm »
Quote:

Yes, it sure looks like it will recieve another patch.
However, we haven't recieved confirmation on SQL.. .. but they've sure been bugged about it.

Bonk

« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2003, 11:38:47 pm »
Goody, goody! That is great news!  <crosses fingers for SQL>    

Cleaven

« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2003, 12:57:10 am »
Quote:

Well all I know is that if you are local to the D2 server it will see your local IP address
which is useless. Yes, you can be drafted but the mission will count down to zero

As I understand it, the router has nothing to do with why the D2 server sees the local IP address
an not the WAN address. One public IP address is all I have. If you are local to the D2 server it

If so then maybe you can explain this further to me, as the experience would add credibility to your claims.

"This is based on you having a home router that is not fully NAT capable for more than one internal address"

This is most confusing.

EDIT: I must emphasise that the D2 server sees YOUR LOCAL IP ADDRESS - it does not matter
what port the client responds on if the IP address in the db is a local one, it just will not work.

Edit Again ( ): The real question here, as FireSoul has hinted, is, will the cartel map be fixed
in the next patch? Will SQL be added? Is there really another patch for OP coming?

In order:
No - not possible with the standard setup. The local PC must be able to get past the firewall to login to the campaign list server.

It doesn't - try having two PC's with OP inside a home router, connect to a D2 server. If you have solved this then you are a true D2 hero!

Yes.

The_Infiltrator

« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2003, 04:43:54 am »
If you want to find out how to run 2 PC's off the same router, ask Doppler. I'm almost certian that he and a buddy do this.

Cleaven

« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2003, 05:14:32 am »
It would be very interesting to see this done.  

Mog

« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2003, 05:44:25 am »
A friend and I managed to connect to the same D2 server at the same time via a router, by using a program called dxport.exe. But, we could not play in the same missions, although we could be drafted into separate missions. That's the best we've managed, but it wasn't enough as we obviously desired to fly together in the same missions, hence my friend gave the game up.

Bonk

« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2003, 06:17:41 am »

Quote:

In order:
No - not possible with the standard setup. The local PC must be able to get past the firewall to login to the campaign list server.

It doesn't - try having two PC's with OP inside a home router, connect to a D2 server. If you have solved this then you are a true D2 hero!

Yes.

What is not possible? I tell you I can run a D2 client and server behind the same router and have it
work perfectly. (The server and client do not reqiuire the same ports)

What doesn't what?

Yes what?

I have also experimented with Dxport for two clients, as Mog has, but found the same.  It seems there is no way
to forward the same port to two machines on a LAN (?).  One must obtain a second public IP address
one way or another.

I think it's time for Cleaven to admin a server. Enough pontification and more action!

Seriously, I am interested in your opinion Cleaven, as I know you have good experience with
the client behind a router. I am just rather confused by your ambiguous responses.  

Cleaven

« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2003, 07:47:22 am »
How can it work perfectly if you have already said you can't draft properly?

Yes.

Like hell.

And this from somebody called Bonk and registered two weeks ago. Get real.  

Bonk

« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2003, 08:11:56 am »
Um, by editing the SQL db to show my public IP that's how.

Geez, chill man.  I'd still like you to explain your statements.
I am showing you the respect of listening to your views,
please show the same courtesy, thanks.

Cleaven

« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2003, 08:19:58 am »
I see the way you use SQL editing of the DB, but that doesn't change how drafting works for standard setups, and would only be useful for a local admin. You may be able to fix the routing for an internal IP depending on the router you have. None of the common home routers work in the same way and several of them don't even allow for the correct functioning of an OP client.

As for chilling, you are obviiosly somebody who has been around here for a bit, and I am very suspicious of your motive for the subterfuge. And I find the name offensive too.    

Bonk

« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2003, 08:28:15 am »
Ah, thanks so much for the explanation of your comments.

Sorry if the name offends - it's not meant to, if it means something that I have not considered I will post under a new name if you desire. I just picked it at random.  

FireSoul

« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2003, 09:03:59 am »
Yeah. DXport is interesting, but doesn't solve the problem where every host has a port 47624. SFC uses DX7 code.

.. this has given me an idea and I will experiment with it and my linux 2.4 firewall and some source-based packet mangling. I probably won't succeed, but it's worth the try. If * DO* succeed, I will document here what I had to do. I was not aware of DXPort until today, so I am hopeful now.

-- Luc

edit:
Forget the idea.. I just remembered DX will connect to 47624 to discover what 2300-2400 port to connect to. Since that portforward could only be forwarded to a single machine, the argument is moot. We can't predict which machine will be hosting when taking drafting into account.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2003, 09:53:56 am by FireSoul »

Mog

« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2003, 10:22:12 am »
Luc, what do you mean by the last bit? Can't predict which machine will be hosting? As it's a LAN we're talking about, the drafter can be determined easily, unless both parties are drafted by a third party.

Going from memory, when we tried this, what happened was both of us had the in-mission screen come up, but only one of us had our ship appear, when drafted by someone else.

FireSoul

« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2003, 10:46:54 am »
Port 47624 is kinda like a management port. It can only be forwarded to 1 machine. usually the pre-designated host for a direct-IP game. Since drafting isn't too keen on that.. and the host is the person draftign all the time, it wouldn't work.

Unless there's somethign else I'm missing here, of course.
-- Luc

AFortius

« Reply #56 on: June 04, 2003, 09:25:45 pm »
With all these arguments, I am sort of swayed to pick up a copy of OP.  I am playing exclusively EAW in D2 (SG3).  But it seems that I will give OP a try.  Any OP campaign going-on right now ala SG3?  

- AF  

FireSoul

« Reply #57 on: June 04, 2003, 10:07:03 pm »
TechWars is still ongoing, but it was.. well..
.. everyone's playing on SG3 except for a very small group. Bleh!

.. I hope Techwars is restarted after SG3 is over. I was having fun.

Bonk

« Reply #58 on: June 05, 2003, 07:23:47 am »
It seems we only have enough players for one good sized server at a time.
I think that the "ISC Invasion" is next up on EAW and will also draw a crowd.
Perhaps OP admins could join in with the EAW admins in scheduling the servers
to get the best crowds?  

Mog

« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2003, 08:28:13 am »
That's the intention, Bonk, however, when the current schedule was arranged, the OP patch hadn't been released - it kinda came as a bit of a surprise, and no rescheduling has been done yet, hence all OP has currently are small servers to keep it going, so to speak.

FireSoul

« Reply #60 on: June 05, 2003, 09:45:47 am »
However, continued work will ensure OP's place in the future. With any luck, it will prove to the D2 community that OP is indeed viable.

.. hm.. especially if they play on EAW server for so long that another OP patch would come out and fix all the rest of the issues. That probably won't happen, but it's an interesting thought.

Dogmatix!

« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2003, 12:26:15 pm »
Quote:

I think there is a rather easy way to settle this point.  Sales.  How many copies of EAW were sold vs OP.  I suspect OP sales were low and encompassed a larger fraction of novices who rarely played it and dumped it considering the low player base for OP.  I myself bought OP after having a friend's install of EAW and SFC1 purchased with my own money on my machine for a while which I had gotten out of.  I stopped playing OP altogether for just the reasons above, no players, no dyna, X ships BS.

While OP might be "better" because it has more "stuff", I still don't think it has a player base especially if sales were low and new copies are hard to come by.  Why hunt around for OP when you already have EAW fully patched with working dyna and consistent player base?

Be that as it may, what has OP really got to offer?  Phaser arcs?  New ships?  Supposed stability?  Oh, yes!  Pirates!  Don't think the whole pirate thing has enough umph, enough meaningful context to be compelling.  Look at player race preferences.  Most played races are TOS races with feds leading substantially. Throw in some pirates no one has ever heard outside of SFB  that are not fully SFB implemented (custumization of ships, etc) and you have a recipe for a yawn.

Doesn't seem like enough to entice me to switch nor most people who have EAW and are comfortable with it.   BTW are magic photons still in effect in OP?

Fact is Taldren shot itself in the foot with OP.  While they may have had the best intentions, the fiasco ruined any transition to OP.  

Hence the reason why I and a few other has been trying to increase sales of OP by offering free copies of OP to anyone who wants one with the proviso that they get on OP D2 and help make it grow any way they can.  To date, I've sent out four free copies.

The OP Dyna is now, a Cleaven says, as good as EAW's.  OP has more features, weapons, ships, race slots, etc.  That makes it the better platform for future growth.  

All OP needs is a commitment from the campaign server groups and the people who play on those cmapaigns to give OP a chance by putting on and playing in a big OP campaign.  I expect SFC2.NET to now look towards OP's dyna as a viable platform.  I hope we will have the cooperation of other groups and individuals moving forward.

I have always been on record as saying OP is potentially the better product, but EAW is more fun because of the far larger player base.  Most of the best dyna campaigns have been on EAW's dyna, but that isn't to say there hasn't been several, VERY COOL campaigns on OP's dyna...and that was before it had been patched up to EAW's specs.  The Triangle series, the Rook's Tavern series...the first two editions in the Slave Girls series.  All wonderful, fun, competitive, long-lived campaigns...and all on OP D2.

Look...most people don't like Taldren's implementation of x-tech.  That is no reason to steer clear of OP.  Most cmpaigns never get to the Advanced Era (unless they start there or close) and any smart campaign author is going to do something that mitigates the x-ships' effect or just not even make them available.  Frankly, x-tech on x-tech battles are quite fun, so what's the fuss?  FireSoul's OP Refit shiplist (quickly becoming THE shiplist for OP dynaplay) takes care of the Taldren X-tech problem by putting in SFB-style x-ships.  This is still being tested, but early results are encouraging.  I found none of the X-ships that I flew or flew against to be anywhere near OTT.  However, the jury is definitely still out and there is work to be done.

Granted, everyone's mileage may vary, but I've always seen more stability on OP dyna servers.  I think the Dyna community would do itself a big favor by getting in there and supporting the OP dyna platform.

I just don't see how anyone can argue that the future of SFC2 D2 isn't (or at least, shouldn't be) on the OP platform.  EAW simply doesn't have anything that OP lacks.  SQL doesn't even enter into the mix for me because none has proven to me that SQL can handle the stress of a big campaign server.  Even now, all big EAW campaigns are run with flatfile databases.

I will continue to support both flavors since both products have a following.  However, I will continue also to try and steer folks towards OP.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Dogmatix! »

FireSoul

« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2003, 01:16:55 pm »
That was well formulated, dogmatix. Very well said.

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #63 on: June 05, 2003, 04:41:49 pm »
Yes, to be correct, the SFB, or X1 ships in OP are pretty close to SFB specs in most cases, but the X2 ships, the "Taldren X ships" are total abortions. They look like the things you used to make in SFB groups for a team of ships to attack.

Silly indeed. Keep it up FS, you really oughta get PAID for the massive amount of work you do and the even LARGER amount of crap you take for doing it!

HAND!

FireSoul

« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2003, 01:39:35 am »
Well..

.. I *LIKE* this game. .. and I'm hoping I get every possible chance to make it better. You can bet that if I end up making a difference, I got paid in a different way.

.. and trust me on this: SFC:OP's not dead. Not by far. The work continues so that playtime becomes better.

-- Luc

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2003, 04:01:53 pm »
Well, EAW IS dead for me, has been since about 1 minute prior to the installation of OP, since I deleted EAW for an identical, but improved game.

Stand-alone expansion, HAH!

HAND!

Scipio_66

« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2003, 05:06:40 pm »
Quote:

Granted, everyone's mileage may vary, but I've always seen more stability on OP dyna servers.  I think the Dyna community would do itself a big favor by getting in there and supporting the OP dyna platform.

I'm willing to believe this is true for you, but it hasn't been for me.  My first question on my first OP dyna match was, "Is this much lag normal?"  My second was, "no really, I'm serious.  Stop laughing.  Is this much lag normal for OP?"

I'll grant you the issue has gotten better since OP standard backed off from that rediculous default speed of 9, but the difference in lag and CTD's is still immediately noticeable to me.  <shrug>

Quote:

OP [dyna] has more ...  race slots, etc.

Serious question here.  The above is a reason many people quote for pefering the OP dyna, but is it true?  My understanding is that you can't get more than 8 races on the imperial or the pirate map, and the map interaction bugs still exist.  (At least I have never been able to when experimenting with the OP D2 package.)  Is there any hope that the upcoming D2 patch for OP will address the map interaction bugs?

-S'Cipio

FireSoul

« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2003, 05:22:53 pm »
It happens that I need info on those exact bugs. I think these were posted in the OLD forums at some point, but ..

.. anyways, like in the D2 Experiences forum for the thread that's asking for data.

-- Luc

Dogmatix!

« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2003, 10:20:40 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

I'm willing to believe this is true for you, but it hasn't been for me.  My first question on my first OP dyna match was, "Is this much lag normal?"  My second was, "no really, I'm serious.  Stop laughing.  Is this much lag normal for OP?"

I'll grant you the issue has gotten better since OP standard backed off from that rediculous default speed of 9, but the difference in lag and CTD's is still immediately noticeable to me.  <shrug>

Quote:

Serious question here.  The above is a reason many people quote for pefering the OP dyna, but is it true?  My understanding is that you can't get more than 8 races on the imperial or the pirate map, and the map interaction bugs still exist.  (At least I have never been able to when experimenting with the OP D2 package.)  Is there any hope that the upcoming D2 patch for OP will address the map interaction bugs?

-S'Cipio

Yes, S'Cipio...as I was trying to say, I assume that there are exceptions to the general rule that OP tends to be more stable in multi-player than EAW.  Given there's a new patch, you may wish to give it another try and see if things have gotten better for you.  In NO CASE have I personally found stability on OP to be any worse than EAW and EAW has the benefit of a few more patches, if I'm not mistaken.

As for your second question, I freely admit that absent a lot of hard work testng server settings prior to an OP campaign going live, you can end up with problems caused by pirates abd the cartel map.  Rook's Tavern 3 managed to be an extrmemely fun campaign with no map interaction problems that I remember AND it had active pirate cartels.  It is possible, so yes, it is true.  Is it difficult to get things configured properly?  I guess so, because I haven't seen too many poeple accomplish it.

Race slot aren't all OP has more of.  It has more ship slots in the shiplist and It has more weapon types.  This means increased modability.  That's a good thing.

I have no idea what is or isn't planned in terms of future OP patches.  I wouldn't hold my breath for another one, that's for sure.  

FireSoul

« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2003, 05:31:55 pm »
You do realize, now that it is know there is going to be another patch, that people's opinions may have to change on this subject?  Once the OP patch is out, I'll let people decide for themselves what they think is best, tho.

-- Luc

Julin Eurthyr

« Reply #70 on: June 10, 2003, 08:15:08 pm »
Quote:

Yes, S'Cipio...as I was trying to say, I assume that there are exceptions to the general rule that OP tends to be more stable in multi-player than EAW.  Given there's a new patch, you may wish to give it another try and see if things have gotten better for you.  In NO CASE have I personally found stability on OP to be any worse than EAW and EAW has the benefit of a few more patches, if I'm not mistaken.

As for your second question, I freely admit that absent a lot of hard work testng server settings prior to an OP campaign going live, you can end up with problems caused by pirates abd the cartel map.  Rook's Tavern 3 managed to be an extrmemely fun campaign with no map interaction problems that I remember AND it had active pirate cartels.  It is possible, so yes, it is true.  Is it difficult to get things configured properly?  I guess so, because I haven't seen too many poeple accomplish it.

Race slot aren't all OP has more of.  It has more ship slots in the shiplist and It has more weapon types.  This means increased modability.  That's a good thing.

I have no idea what is or isn't planned in terms of future OP patches.  I wouldn't hold my breath for another one, that's for sure.  

Here's my take on the 2 major OP campaigns I've played:

Rooks Tavern 3.  My first major campaign & my first RM job.  Biggest issue was the (perceived) ability of the "Organian Forces", ISC / Mirak / Syndicate cartel, to take and hold conquered space, while the Alliance / Coalition, with no (maybe a few) pirate players were restricted to not being able to raise DV above the hex flip default (without placing lots of bases).
Major Lessons learned that campaign:  Cannot run map with all one pirate cartel allied to everyone.  Started to see and identify other cartel / hex DV issues.  

Slave Girls 2.  Was an Alliance SM (server moderator, initially was not tied to races.  I picked Fed as the Coalition slots were filling up quickly and nobody took the Alliance side... ).  Server was set up where each player had both an empire & pirate account, took care of the hex flipping issues somewhat (needed to send pirate players to soften up an area before the empires swiped it / raised the DV), but was frustrating in that the cartel DVs were hidden by the empire ones...

The speed bug (where Feds & pirates could still jack the game speed up / down at will) did major damage to both servers, and my willingness to play on other OP servers.

After those 2 servers, where players flagrantly speed-bugged me despite my SM tag, I finally decided to play EAW D2, and have been waiting (eagerly) for the dust to settle on OP and the chance to get back in the action there.  Even if they do decide to put my I-torps to the same one-per-turn standard now in EAW...

I do still play OP, single player and LAN games.  I haven't played a single SP EAW game since the EAW campaigns were recompiled.  

FireSoul

« Reply #71 on: June 10, 2003, 08:27:50 pm »
Then I hope you will try OP again after the next patch. The speed bug has been squashed in 2538. Other D2 bugs are being squashed for this next patch. OP will be be-au-ti-ful after this.

-- Luc

FireSoul

« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2003, 08:29:56 pm »
Quote:

I do still play OP, single player and LAN games. I haven't played a single SP EAW game since the EAW campaigns were recompiled.

Oh. You're welcomed. Then I am glad I took the time to debug them and make sure it all works.
-- Luc

Wolf2525

« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2003, 08:40:07 pm »
After reading all this, I'm really glad I was able to locate a copy.  I really don't know why I didn't buy it when it first came out.  I kinda regret that now, especially with how much fun EAW has become since I dusted it off.  Still haven't played much online yet, with either EAW or SFCIII, but have been having an absolute blast even in the single player campaigns.

Cleaven

« Reply #74 on: June 10, 2003, 09:33:54 pm »
It would be cool to create a simple way to install the new modded D2 missions into the the single player EAW for OP campaigns, esp the ones using the config files. There are a lot of people who have never experienced them because editing .gf files is not their cup of tea.

<I don't mean as part of the patch>  
« Last Edit: June 10, 2003, 09:35:37 pm by Cleaven »

mathcubeguy

EAW or OP, which is better when fully patched?
« Reply #75 on: June 01, 2003, 11:41:46 am »

Tommy20

« Reply #76 on: June 01, 2003, 01:11:53 pm »
Quote:

without having to wait ten minutes for my mouse to move across the screen...

when this happens to me i usually change the batteries in my cordless mouse  

p.s that is if u have a cordless one  

Scipio_66

« Reply #77 on: June 01, 2003, 01:19:51 pm »
Quote:

That would be EAW.  Same as it has ever been.  

-S'Cipio

FireSoul

« Reply #78 on: June 01, 2003, 01:20:26 pm »

-- Luc

Scipio_66

« Reply #79 on: June 01, 2003, 01:31:06 pm »
Quote:

-- Luc  

-S'Cipio

FireSoul

« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2003, 02:06:16 pm »
Quote:

I would be prone to believe the contrary, actually.. ..
Betcha the 2 games have the same lag.

Anyways.. I play OP pretty much exclusively .. because I don't see why play EAW when there's so much more on the other side of the fence.

The_Infiltrator

« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2003, 02:40:42 pm »
2 Things: OP's D2 is broken, and the horrible X ships. Remove both as a factor and it's better.

FireSoul

« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2003, 02:45:12 pm »
Who said OP's D2 was broken?
.. have you tried it since the last patch? ..  

.. and as for the Xships, you don't have to play them if you don't want to. You know that.

kosh2000

« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2003, 02:54:52 pm »
Here i will say it  i dont care flame suit is now on

EAW SUCKS

OP  ROCKS  

FireSoul

« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2003, 03:51:20 pm »
I wouldn't say that it sucks. It's a far cry better than nothing at all..

.. but I agree that OP is better. It completely confuses me to watch people play EAW .. and insist on it too.

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2003, 05:10:01 pm »
That is a trick question, as neither game is fully patchable, as the games were never 100% finished/corrected.

That being said, EAW has ALL the patches it is going to get, whereas OP has the gameplay portion of the last patch, but not the multi/D2 part of the patch, so EAW is more stable/less likely to cause you to put a 10mm hole in your monitor than is OP.

Once OP gets the multiplayer part of the patch and IF it works... then there will no longer be a reason to play EAW as it is inferior in the availablity of ships, races, weapons, etc.

HAND!

FireSoul

« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2003, 06:07:00 pm »
Again, AJTK, I disagree.

OP beats EAW hands down in standard multiplayer and single player modes.
As for the D2, I hear that even on EAW they use the flatfile DB for the big servers.

This is my opinion: There is no way in hell EAW is better than OP.
-- Luc

Magnum357

« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2003, 06:12:27 pm »

EmeraldEdge

« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2003, 06:50:12 pm »
The latest EAW patch can be had here I believe:

http://www.sfcx.org/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=1

You can also get the OP patch from SFCX, as well as a variety of other downloads, including the mission packs and shiplists.  

EmeraldEdge

« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2003, 06:51:34 pm »
Oh, and OP no contest.  It's just got more, and you don't certain things you don't have to use it so...  

FireSoul

« Reply #90 on: June 01, 2003, 06:57:37 pm »
Quote:

Do you play with a personal firewall program on the machine itself, or any machine along the way? That may cause problems. We have knowledge of all the needed ports for GSA play.

T-Rex_IEA

« Reply #91 on: June 01, 2003, 07:14:16 pm »
here is a news flash for all who have been saying OP is better than EAW and vice versa,

op IS eaw and eaw IS op. The only real differnce in the two is the ship selection and the differnt bugs each has. They both play the same for me i.e., same game engine, therefore same gameplay. there is no real gameplay differences at all.

In my humble opinon OP should have been a true expansion to EAW, and many others believe this as well, That ios why most old timers dont play it, its not because that it is bad but because of the way it was released. Taldren kinda stabbed everyone in the back on that one. They COULD have made it a stand alone AND an EAW expansion but chose not to, SO we are stuck with two almost identical games to play .

I say Live with it and play whichever one you want to.

T-rex  

Cleaven

« Reply #92 on: June 01, 2003, 07:36:10 pm »
Being somebody who plays online from a long ways away, I have found OP to be more stable for multiplayer, in so far as I don't drop as much. There are still the occasional D2 problems but it is probably not right to compare the lastest EAW server with 30 or 40 on it, to OP with 10-15 players.

So, with the latest updates making the OP weapons and rules the same as EAW, OP wins on gameplay because it has extra weapons, graphics, and stability.

D2-wise there are now features, like neutral co-op that seems to mostly work which, in my mind, leaves EAW for dead. The only hindrance is that admins are more familiar with using the older, simpler EAW server settings. But, like a petrochemical economy, it can't last. EAW is listed as final, while OP is awaiting at least one more update. Not to say that somebody couldn't do again to EAW, but what's the point? If you are going to spend time adding to a game, then add to OP on the basis of coding lessons learnt from SFC3 which is supposed to be based on the OP code. (OP is supposed to a generation ahead of EAW in code but I have only had this explained to me by outsiders.)

When OP-D2 didn't work there was no question. Now that OP D2 has been demonstrated as no longer suffering from the old problems this is no longer a valid stance.

I'm pretty sure OP uses a later version of DirectPlay too.    

FireSoul

« Reply #93 on: June 01, 2003, 07:45:13 pm »
I ran 'strings' on the OP exe. It is a small linux application that removes any non human-readable charaters and allows you to read any text left. .. and based on the symbols I saw, the 2 games use the same DirectPlay version. In fact, I'm pretty sure this game would run on DirectX 7!

.. however.. to call both games "identical" .. HELL NO.  They may be very similar, but they are far from being identical. Hell, I submit my shiplist as a good reason to play OP over EAW.

-- Luc
FireSoul

Cleaven

« Reply #94 on: June 01, 2003, 08:09:51 pm »
I guessed that a later version of DirectPlay was the reason for the better stability.  

NannerSlug

« Reply #95 on: June 01, 2003, 10:43:22 pm »
no contest.. OP.

the only problem with OP presae - is the dyna hex thing with the pirates layer underneath.

op as a matter of fact has always had more stable multicode than EAW. it is also true that no campaign that i am aware of actively uses sql - thats op or EAW..

op has more arcs (boom arcs anyone?), more ships (wyn,LDR, some monitors)- and an advanced era.

i agree - i have never understood why some believe that eaw is superior. its not. if i had to put my money somewhere - it would be in op.

3dot14

« Reply #96 on: June 02, 2003, 01:27:44 pm »
Guys: Being Good and Being Popular are two different facts.

OP is Better, EAW is more popular.

GE-Raven

« Reply #97 on: June 02, 2003, 01:46:25 pm »
EAW is better now in my mind for one reason...

No one plays OP on GSA.

70 or so everynight for EAW.  There it is folks... when you get EVERYONE to move... I might too.

GE-Raven

jimmi7769

« Reply #98 on: June 02, 2003, 01:52:28 pm »
Maybe if you move everyone else will follow.

The_Infiltrator

« Reply #99 on: June 02, 2003, 01:54:20 pm »
The simple fact is that as long as there are X ships in the default shiplist many won't come within miles of it.

NannerSlug

« Reply #100 on: June 02, 2003, 02:00:39 pm »
therein lies the most (pardon the rudeness) LAME excuse ive ever heard. there is no reason in the world that those people have to use or play with x ships. in fact, even on a server, the FYA can be pushed back so far or simply removed from the shipyard completely - all without having to do a think to the shiplist.

so, it is a very narrowminded and poor excuse. however, i do know that it exsist.

thanks.

Lepton1

« Reply #101 on: June 02, 2003, 02:21:18 pm »

kosh2000

« Reply #102 on: June 02, 2003, 02:36:37 pm »
pirates not fun  i guss you never played on the triangel then and no dyna on op hmm some of the biggest servers where and still are on op .

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #103 on: June 02, 2003, 04:20:12 pm »
I find myself in agreement with Nanner... this is MOST disconserting!

HAND

FireSoul

« Reply #104 on: June 02, 2003, 04:24:15 pm »
Look. I'll let you guys figure it out: I have some testing to do, and then a shiplist to start updating.

-- Luc

CptCastrin

« Reply #105 on: June 02, 2003, 05:17:58 pm »
Hmmm, I could write a huge / long post on the pros and cons of both. I started in SFC1 and have played (and admined / hosted) in many online matches and campaigns. However I will refrain.

Sufice it to say it's your call. OP and EaW are great games. IMHO it's OP that wins but understand that's my take.

I will say this however, all the reasons that people have given here as to why they think OP is not worth the effort is just more FUD posting by those "hurt" by Taldren putting out a standalone game instead of an expantion to their first love. The fact is that if this game (OP) HAD been made as an expansion then EaW would have almost completely disapeared as a game. OP uses a new graphics engine and polishes much of the base game mechanics as well as adds some good (and bad) new toys. All that would have replaced the EaW versions thus EaW would have become OP! (However you'd still have those players that would refuse to install it and remain "pure" EaW so the current split would probably still been there, they just wouldn't be such a huge majority.)

I only wish they had made it an expansion, it's a better game and would have closed out EaW by allowing Taldren to drop support instead of forcing them to bow to those that just won't let go. But they didn't ... I wonder if anyone ever thought that maybe that was, by some fluk, by design. Or maybe they should just count their lucky stars that they still have an EaW to play and it was never "expanded" on.

Play OP or EaW as you wish. As for me I'll stick with OP which is a better game IMHO.  

mathcubeguy

« Reply #106 on: June 02, 2003, 05:32:24 pm »

CptCastrin

« Reply #107 on: June 02, 2003, 05:39:16 pm »
Flipping hexes works just fine IF the map is setup correctly. Come out to Tech Wars and see.

We are having a base issue but it doesn't seem to be game related. More likely it's a setting on the server (or a mission problem) but we're working on it. If you are going to come out to Tech Wars be sure and visit www.sfcx.org first and pickup the OP+ and ED Mission packs (in SFC:OP section in Downloads) and "install" them (readmes are included).

Hope to see you out there!    
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by CptCastrin »

Cleaven

« Reply #108 on: June 02, 2003, 06:04:32 pm »
Quote:

Some people just don't listen, and even then they still ask the wrong questions.

Good luck in whatever you do.  

Bonk

« Reply #109 on: June 02, 2003, 06:05:12 pm »

seen in EAW.

test but this was lost.)

CptCastrin

« Reply #110 on: June 02, 2003, 07:15:44 pm »
Quote:

Incorrect.  You have to set all pirate cartel hexes NEUTRAL. But if you wanted to you could include pirates and they would affect the hexes much like they did. The pirates are purely optional now. As for ridiculing this as not "more complicated", well, not all are such an "expert" as you.  

Quote:

Have you ever seen anyone say that there are 15 races in OP? Please provide a link. There have ALWAYS been 8 races and 8 pirates and they have ALWAYS been seperate. Get your information right before making assumptions that just make you another FUD poster.

Quote:

seen in EAW.

That's because it is OP not EaW. If you assume that it will work just like EaW then ... well, you know what they say about assuming.

Quote:

test but this was lost.)

That's nice but SQL was not put in to correct your playing issues. As for high player numbers I will agree that testing has been dreadful and on the few times that it was used on a EaW campaign the results were not good.

Quote:

Articfire has not been heard from (at least not on these forms) for a long time. No one can tell what his status is. Regardless many of us continue to work to improving OP. Hopefully we will get SQL support too but ...

Bonk

« Reply #111 on: June 02, 2003, 07:34:10 pm »
Thanks for the tips and pleasant reply Castrin,

Oh and thanks for your ASSumptions - I never made any comments like this.
Sigh - make a valid point on these forums and your person is attacked - never fails.

OK then, I do not have eight races and eight pirate cartels to work with,
just eight races - there happy? (sufficiently pedantic?).

I have been unable to affect the DV of any hex as a pirate in any way.
I'll let you know when I do. (have tested from three of eight cartels on the stock map)

FireSoul

« Reply #112 on: June 02, 2003, 08:18:22 pm »
Quote:

You wouldn't believe the amount of time we've put into it either. It's our favorite.

Cleaven

« Reply #113 on: June 02, 2003, 10:00:33 pm »
Quote:

This is wrong. You can be drafted. But you will be unable to answer the draft. This is based on you having a home router that is not fully NAT capable for more than one internal address. Larger commercial systems would not have this issue, as seen in local nodes for cable suppliers.
The way you phrase it also indicates a misunderstanding, in so far as you can get the exact same response from a router where the port triggering does not work correctly, ie you can draft, but can't answer on the required port when drafted by others (which has nothing to do with SQL).

Bonk

« Reply #114 on: June 02, 2003, 11:05:15 pm »

This is most confusing.

FireSoul

« Reply #115 on: June 02, 2003, 11:25:36 pm »
Quote:

Yeah, I PPTP to my work fetching an IP from there. That way I can play at the same time as a server, or at the same time as another player on my internal LAN which would use the standard portforwards.

.. seriously, the above DB hack is interesting, but will not define which game is better.  It is a personal problem of yours or any other D2 admin only.  

Bonk

« Reply #116 on: June 02, 2003, 11:32:34 pm »
Certainly, I am not arguing that it makes the game better,
this sidetrack has led us down the garden path on this thread.

Interesting that obtaining another public IP by PPTP will work,
I hadn't thought of that, but don't have access to such a server anyway.

P.S. I always play OP for direct TCP/IP games - originally because of your
shiplist but now because I am doing my best to complete the SFB OP shiplist
started by gman and used by CJ in his UltimateTOS mod for OP.  

FireSoul

« Reply #117 on: June 02, 2003, 11:36:00 pm »
Quote:

Yes, it sure looks like it will recieve another patch.
However, we haven't recieved confirmation on SQL.. .. but they've sure been bugged about it.

Bonk

« Reply #118 on: June 02, 2003, 11:38:47 pm »
Goody, goody! That is great news!  <crosses fingers for SQL>    

Cleaven

« Reply #119 on: June 03, 2003, 12:57:10 am »
Quote:

This is most confusing.

In order:

Yes.

The_Infiltrator

« Reply #120 on: June 03, 2003, 04:43:54 am »
If you want to find out how to run 2 PC's off the same router, ask Doppler. I'm almost certian that he and a buddy do this.

Cleaven

« Reply #121 on: June 03, 2003, 05:14:32 am »
It would be very interesting to see this done.  

Mog

« Reply #122 on: June 03, 2003, 05:44:25 am »
A friend and I managed to connect to the same D2 server at the same time via a router, by using a program called dxport.exe. But, we could not play in the same missions, although we could be drafted into separate missions. That's the best we've managed, but it wasn't enough as we obviously desired to fly together in the same missions, hence my friend gave the game up.

Bonk

« Reply #123 on: June 03, 2003, 06:17:41 am »

Quote:

In order:

Yes.

What is not possible? I tell you I can run a D2 client and server behind the same router and have it
work perfectly. (The server and client do not reqiuire the same ports)

What doesn't what?

Yes what?

I have also experimented with Dxport for two clients, as Mog has, but found the same.  It seems there is no way
to forward the same port to two machines on a LAN (?).  One must obtain a second public IP address
one way or another.

I think it's time for Cleaven to admin a server. Enough pontification and more action!

Seriously, I am interested in your opinion Cleaven, as I know you have good experience with
the client behind a router. I am just rather confused by your ambiguous responses.  

Cleaven

« Reply #124 on: June 03, 2003, 07:47:22 am »
How can it work perfectly if you have already said you can't draft properly?

Yes.

Like hell.

And this from somebody called Bonk and registered two weeks ago. Get real.  

Bonk

« Reply #125 on: June 03, 2003, 08:11:56 am »
Um, by editing the SQL db to show my public IP that's how.

Geez, chill man.  I'd still like you to explain your statements.
I am showing you the respect of listening to your views,
please show the same courtesy, thanks.

Cleaven

« Reply #126 on: June 03, 2003, 08:19:58 am »
I see the way you use SQL editing of the DB, but that doesn't change how drafting works for standard setups, and would only be useful for a local admin. You may be able to fix the routing for an internal IP depending on the router you have. None of the common home routers work in the same way and several of them don't even allow for the correct functioning of an OP client.

As for chilling, you are obviiosly somebody who has been around here for a bit, and I am very suspicious of your motive for the subterfuge. And I find the name offensive too.    

Bonk

« Reply #127 on: June 03, 2003, 08:28:15 am »
Ah, thanks so much for the explanation of your comments.

Sorry if the name offends - it's not meant to, if it means something that I have not considered I will post under a new name if you desire. I just picked it at random.  

FireSoul

« Reply #128 on: June 03, 2003, 09:03:59 am »
Yeah. DXport is interesting, but doesn't solve the problem where every host has a port 47624. SFC uses DX7 code.

.. this has given me an idea and I will experiment with it and my linux 2.4 firewall and some source-based packet mangling. I probably won't succeed, but it's worth the try. If * DO* succeed, I will document here what I had to do. I was not aware of DXPort until today, so I am hopeful now.

-- Luc

edit:
Forget the idea.. I just remembered DX will connect to 47624 to discover what 2300-2400 port to connect to. Since that portforward could only be forwarded to a single machine, the argument is moot. We can't predict which machine will be hosting when taking drafting into account.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2003, 09:53:56 am by FireSoul »

Mog

« Reply #129 on: June 03, 2003, 10:22:12 am »
Luc, what do you mean by the last bit? Can't predict which machine will be hosting? As it's a LAN we're talking about, the drafter can be determined easily, unless both parties are drafted by a third party.

Going from memory, when we tried this, what happened was both of us had the in-mission screen come up, but only one of us had our ship appear, when drafted by someone else.

FireSoul

« Reply #130 on: June 03, 2003, 10:46:54 am »
Port 47624 is kinda like a management port. It can only be forwarded to 1 machine. usually the pre-designated host for a direct-IP game. Since drafting isn't too keen on that.. and the host is the person draftign all the time, it wouldn't work.

Unless there's somethign else I'm missing here, of course.
-- Luc

AFortius

« Reply #131 on: June 04, 2003, 09:25:45 pm »
With all these arguments, I am sort of swayed to pick up a copy of OP.  I am playing exclusively EAW in D2 (SG3).  But it seems that I will give OP a try.  Any OP campaign going-on right now ala SG3?  

- AF  

FireSoul

« Reply #132 on: June 04, 2003, 10:07:03 pm »
TechWars is still ongoing, but it was.. well..
.. everyone's playing on SG3 except for a very small group. Bleh!

.. I hope Techwars is restarted after SG3 is over. I was having fun.

Bonk

« Reply #133 on: June 05, 2003, 07:23:47 am »
It seems we only have enough players for one good sized server at a time.
I think that the "ISC Invasion" is next up on EAW and will also draw a crowd.
Perhaps OP admins could join in with the EAW admins in scheduling the servers
to get the best crowds?  

Mog

« Reply #134 on: June 05, 2003, 08:28:13 am »
That's the intention, Bonk, however, when the current schedule was arranged, the OP patch hadn't been released - it kinda came as a bit of a surprise, and no rescheduling has been done yet, hence all OP has currently are small servers to keep it going, so to speak.

FireSoul

« Reply #135 on: June 05, 2003, 09:45:47 am »
However, continued work will ensure OP's place in the future. With any luck, it will prove to the D2 community that OP is indeed viable.

.. hm.. especially if they play on EAW server for so long that another OP patch would come out and fix all the rest of the issues. That probably won't happen, but it's an interesting thought.

Dogmatix!

« Reply #136 on: June 05, 2003, 12:26:15 pm »
Quote:

Hence the reason why I and a few other has been trying to increase sales of OP by offering free copies of OP to anyone who wants one with the proviso that they get on OP D2 and help make it grow any way they can.  To date, I've sent out four free copies.

The OP Dyna is now, a Cleaven says, as good as EAW's.  OP has more features, weapons, ships, race slots, etc.  That makes it the better platform for future growth.  

All OP needs is a commitment from the campaign server groups and the people who play on those cmapaigns to give OP a chance by putting on and playing in a big OP campaign.  I expect SFC2.NET to now look towards OP's dyna as a viable platform.  I hope we will have the cooperation of other groups and individuals moving forward.

I have always been on record as saying OP is potentially the better product, but EAW is more fun because of the far larger player base.  Most of the best dyna campaigns have been on EAW's dyna, but that isn't to say there hasn't been several, VERY COOL campaigns on OP's dyna...and that was before it had been patched up to EAW's specs.  The Triangle series, the Rook's Tavern series...the first two editions in the Slave Girls series.  All wonderful, fun, competitive, long-lived campaigns...and all on OP D2.

Look...most people don't like Taldren's implementation of x-tech.  That is no reason to steer clear of OP.  Most cmpaigns never get to the Advanced Era (unless they start there or close) and any smart campaign author is going to do something that mitigates the x-ships' effect or just not even make them available.  Frankly, x-tech on x-tech battles are quite fun, so what's the fuss?  FireSoul's OP Refit shiplist (quickly becoming THE shiplist for OP dynaplay) takes care of the Taldren X-tech problem by putting in SFB-style x-ships.  This is still being tested, but early results are encouraging.  I found none of the X-ships that I flew or flew against to be anywhere near OTT.  However, the jury is definitely still out and there is work to be done.

I just don't see how anyone can argue that the future of SFC2 D2 isn't (or at least, shouldn't be) on the OP platform.  EAW simply doesn't have anything that OP lacks.  SQL doesn't even enter into the mix for me because none has proven to me that SQL can handle the stress of a big campaign server.  Even now, all big EAW campaigns are run with flatfile databases.

I will continue to support both flavors since both products have a following.  However, I will continue also to try and steer folks towards OP.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Dogmatix! »

FireSoul

« Reply #137 on: June 05, 2003, 01:16:55 pm »
That was well formulated, dogmatix. Very well said.

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #138 on: June 05, 2003, 04:41:49 pm »
Yes, to be correct, the SFB, or X1 ships in OP are pretty close to SFB specs in most cases, but the X2 ships, the "Taldren X ships" are total abortions. They look like the things you used to make in SFB groups for a team of ships to attack.

Silly indeed. Keep it up FS, you really oughta get PAID for the massive amount of work you do and the even LARGER amount of crap you take for doing it!

HAND!

FireSoul

« Reply #139 on: June 06, 2003, 01:39:35 am »
Well..

.. I *LIKE* this game. .. and I'm hoping I get every possible chance to make it better. You can bet that if I end up making a difference, I got paid in a different way.

.. and trust me on this: SFC:OP's not dead. Not by far. The work continues so that playtime becomes better.

-- Luc

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #140 on: June 06, 2003, 04:01:53 pm »
Well, EAW IS dead for me, has been since about 1 minute prior to the installation of OP, since I deleted EAW for an identical, but improved game.

Stand-alone expansion, HAH!

HAND!

Scipio_66

« Reply #141 on: June 06, 2003, 05:06:40 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

-S'Cipio

FireSoul

« Reply #142 on: June 06, 2003, 05:22:53 pm »
It happens that I need info on those exact bugs. I think these were posted in the OLD forums at some point, but ..

.. anyways, like in the D2 Experiences forum for the thread that's asking for data.

-- Luc

Dogmatix!

« Reply #143 on: June 06, 2003, 10:20:40 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

-S'Cipio

FireSoul

« Reply #144 on: June 09, 2003, 05:31:55 pm »
You do realize, now that it is know there is going to be another patch, that people's opinions may have to change on this subject?  Once the OP patch is out, I'll let people decide for themselves what they think is best, tho.

-- Luc

Julin Eurthyr

« Reply #145 on: June 10, 2003, 08:15:08 pm »
Quote:

Here's my take on the 2 major OP campaigns I've played:

Rooks Tavern 3.  My first major campaign & my first RM job.  Biggest issue was the (perceived) ability of the "Organian Forces", ISC / Mirak / Syndicate cartel, to take and hold conquered space, while the Alliance / Coalition, with no (maybe a few) pirate players were restricted to not being able to raise DV above the hex flip default (without placing lots of bases).
Major Lessons learned that campaign:  Cannot run map with all one pirate cartel allied to everyone.  Started to see and identify other cartel / hex DV issues.  

Slave Girls 2.  Was an Alliance SM (server moderator, initially was not tied to races.  I picked Fed as the Coalition slots were filling up quickly and nobody took the Alliance side... ).  Server was set up where each player had both an empire & pirate account, took care of the hex flipping issues somewhat (needed to send pirate players to soften up an area before the empires swiped it / raised the DV), but was frustrating in that the cartel DVs were hidden by the empire ones...

The speed bug (where Feds & pirates could still jack the game speed up / down at will) did major damage to both servers, and my willingness to play on other OP servers.

After those 2 servers, where players flagrantly speed-bugged me despite my SM tag, I finally decided to play EAW D2, and have been waiting (eagerly) for the dust to settle on OP and the chance to get back in the action there.  Even if they do decide to put my I-torps to the same one-per-turn standard now in EAW...

I do still play OP, single player and LAN games.  I haven't played a single SP EAW game since the EAW campaigns were recompiled.  

FireSoul

« Reply #146 on: June 10, 2003, 08:27:50 pm »
Then I hope you will try OP again after the next patch. The speed bug has been squashed in 2538. Other D2 bugs are being squashed for this next patch. OP will be be-au-ti-ful after this.

-- Luc

FireSoul

« Reply #147 on: June 10, 2003, 08:29:56 pm »
Quote:

I do still play OP, single player and LAN games. I haven't played a single SP EAW game since the EAW campaigns were recompiled.

Oh. You're welcomed. Then I am glad I took the time to debug them and make sure it all works.
-- Luc

Wolf2525

« Reply #148 on: June 10, 2003, 08:40:07 pm »
After reading all this, I'm really glad I was able to locate a copy.  I really don't know why I didn't buy it when it first came out.  I kinda regret that now, especially with how much fun EAW has become since I dusted it off.  Still haven't played much online yet, with either EAW or SFCIII, but have been having an absolute blast even in the single player campaigns.

Cleaven

« Reply #149 on: June 10, 2003, 09:33:54 pm »
It would be cool to create a simple way to install the new modded D2 missions into the the single player EAW for OP campaigns, esp the ones using the config files. There are a lot of people who have never experienced them because editing .gf files is not their cup of tea.

<I don't mean as part of the patch>  
« Last Edit: June 10, 2003, 09:35:37 pm by Cleaven »