Topic: GARRR! OP installation woes  (Read 7022 times)

ThirdLeg

GARRR! OP installation woes
« on: June 01, 2003, 08:06:26 pm »
Ok, here's my problem. I'm trying to install OP on my new PC and it won't let me enter in my cd-key. Anybody have a clue why? I've already dl'ed the 2538 patch, so i was wondering if i should do a fresh install, launch game to enter key, then patch? Any help would be appreciated.  

FireSoul

Re: GARRR! OP installation woes
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2003, 08:09:03 pm »
can you give mroe info about what happens?

Cleaven

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2003, 08:14:04 pm »
People can have problems with XP, where the CD key window is not active. Try Alt-tabbing a few times to bring the window to the front (even though you can already see it).    

ThirdLeg

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2003, 03:15:19 am »
What happens is that when i try to type anything in the window I get that wonderful little beeping noise. I tried alt-tabbing as suggested. I did get one thing to register, although it was just a question mark character. I've tried cutting and pasting from notepad as well, but still getting the beeping noise and nothing else. Any other suggestions? BTW, thanks for the suggestions so far.  

Cleaven

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2003, 04:20:43 am »
Keep trying. You have the correct symptoms for this XP problem. Try the windows key to minimise OP then select OP from the task bar.    

ThirdLeg

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2003, 06:06:41 am »
CLEAVEN!!! YOU ROCK!!! It worked like a charm. Hit the windows key, selected OP from the task bar and voila! Entered in the cd key without a hitch! Thanks for the quick responses Cleaven and FireSoul. Time to finally start playing again after 1 year away from SFC. Time to pull my old RN+ out of mothballs  

The_Infiltrator

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2003, 01:56:28 pm »
If you want, contact Bearslayer about SG3 on http://bozobits.com/forums/ .

ThirdLeg

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2003, 02:11:18 pm »
Thanks for the info Infiltrator. Unfortunately I'm using a Linksys router and can't partake in any of the online stuff at the moment. Trying to dink around with the ports, but so far my computer illiteracy is showing off .  

FireSoul

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2003, 04:26:48 pm »
you just need to know which ports/portranges to forward, then you can play online.

-- Luc

ThirdLeg

GARRR! OP installation woes
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2003, 08:06:26 pm »
Ok, here's my problem. I'm trying to install OP on my new PC and it won't let me enter in my cd-key. Anybody have a clue why? I've already dl'ed the 2538 patch, so i was wondering if i should do a fresh install, launch game to enter key, then patch? Any help would be appreciated.  

FireSoul

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2003, 08:09:03 pm »
can you give mroe info about what happens?

Cleaven

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2003, 08:14:04 pm »
People can have problems with XP, where the CD key window is not active. Try Alt-tabbing a few times to bring the window to the front (even though you can already see it).    

ThirdLeg

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2003, 03:15:19 am »
What happens is that when i try to type anything in the window I get that wonderful little beeping noise. I tried alt-tabbing as suggested. I did get one thing to register, although it was just a question mark character. I've tried cutting and pasting from notepad as well, but still getting the beeping noise and nothing else. Any other suggestions? BTW, thanks for the suggestions so far.  

Cleaven

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2003, 04:20:43 am »
Keep trying. You have the correct symptoms for this XP problem. Try the windows key to minimise OP then select OP from the task bar.    

ThirdLeg

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2003, 06:06:41 am »
CLEAVEN!!! YOU ROCK!!! It worked like a charm. Hit the windows key, selected OP from the task bar and voila! Entered in the cd key without a hitch! Thanks for the quick responses Cleaven and FireSoul. Time to finally start playing again after 1 year away from SFC. Time to pull my old RN+ out of mothballs  

The_Infiltrator

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2003, 01:56:28 pm »
If you want, contact Bearslayer about SG3 on http://bozobits.com/forums/ .

ThirdLeg

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2003, 02:11:18 pm »
Thanks for the info Infiltrator. Unfortunately I'm using a Linksys router and can't partake in any of the online stuff at the moment. Trying to dink around with the ports, but so far my computer illiteracy is showing off .  

FireSoul

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2003, 04:26:48 pm »
you just need to know which ports/portranges to forward, then you can play online.

-- Luc