Topic: SETI Thread  (Read 188753 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Re: SETI Thread
« Reply #160 on: December 28, 2005, 09:07:08 pm »
Yeah, your glory was short lived. I just dumped my cache and I am over you again, 379.11. It hasn't shown up on the team list yet. By the way , where did you find that link? the only one I have is: http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/team_display.php?teamid=4
Another good one is in my sig.

Don't worry too much about my glory because my update hasn't finished working through either ;) .  Recent average credit   387.55

The link was the first one that I found when switching to BOINC I forget exactly where.

PS, i will make it harder for you when I can get mt 2.6 HT going again. It hasn't communicated since 12/26. The only problem is I don't have direct control over it and must rely on someone else.

I have the advantage in that all 4 machines are under my direct control and 2 are dual CPU.  The first one I set up on BOINC and the last one are both duals.  If I add the current RAC of each individual machine I get about 460 and rising by the hour.  I am also going to be doing some research on how to optimize them for BOINC output, I should be able to boost my efficiency at least somewhat.  I managed to double my speed in SETI 1 by careful research on setup.  Here I doubt that I will do that well but even 5% is worthwhile.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline The Postman

• 1st Sgt, Bugler, Commander, L. A. Tifft Camp 15, SUVCW
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #161 on: December 30, 2005, 07:35:57 am »
SETI@Home BOINC
Overtake Statistics for The Postman
Brought to you by BOINC Team - "BOINC Synergy"
("100%" BOINC is there any other reason?)

The Postman will not overtake anyone!

The Postman will be overtaken by:

IKV Nemesis: 4,978.1  days

Link: ht

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #162 on: December 30, 2005, 07:43:32 am »
SETI@Home BOINC Overtake Statistics for IKV Nemesis

IKV Nemesis will overtake:

Days
Noah Wallace III   1.6
thirdleg                1.7
Putanginamo        5.7
SlackerJoe            7.3
KD4                    11.2
f9TH SIR X          34.2
AJTK                 103.1
Kenneth Yeast    206.6
RazalYllib            291.6
The Postman    4,978.1

IKV Nemesis will not be overtaken by anyone!

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #163 on: December 30, 2005, 09:18:10 am »

Days
Noah Wallace III   1.6
thirdleg                1.7
Putanginamo        5.7
SlackerJoe            7.3
KD4                    11.2
f9TH SIR X          34.2
AJTK                 103.1
Kenneth Yeast    206.6
RazalYllib            291.6
The Postman    4,978.1

Interesting stats where did you get them?

They aren't accurate though as my RAC has not yet stabilized.  I've already passed thirdleg.

8) SlackerJoe                9,350.29        11.06          United States
9) Putanginamo            8,687.99        65.43              Philippines
10) Noah Wallace III     6,879.08         41.78           United States
11) IKV Nemesis           6,803.09       476.61                 Canada
12) thirdleg                 6,781.89          90.93          United States

I'll pass Noah later today and by Monday should pass Cyber (Putanginamo) and SlackerJoe a day later. 
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #164 on: December 30, 2005, 09:56:00 am »
These stats get updated once a day when SETI dumps the data in XML format. The last update to user stats was :

Last update user XML 2005-12-29 22:37:09 GMT
Last update host XML 2005-12-30 00:56:41 GMT
Last update team XML 2005-12-30 01:11:44 GMT

http://www.boincstats.com/

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #165 on: December 30, 2005, 02:48:16 pm »
I have now entered the top 10:

7 ) KD4                11,050.56      11.84       United States
8 ) SlackerJoe          9,350.29     11.06       United States
9 ) Putanginamo      8,687.99      65.43       Philippines
10) IKV Nemesis     7,025.80     488.68       Canada

My next targets for the next few days.

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #166 on: December 30, 2005, 09:58:09 pm »

Days
Putanginamo             3.2
SlackerJoe                 4.5
KD4                           8.0
f9TH SIR X               28.6
AJTK                        74.7
Kenneth Yeast         166.3
RazalYllib                225.1
The Postman        2,511.4

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #167 on: December 31, 2005, 07:33:30 am »

Days
Putanginamo             3.2
SlackerJoe                 4.5
KD4                           8.0
f9TH SIR X               28.6
AJTK                        74.7
Kenneth Yeast         166.3
RazalYllib                225.1
The Postman        2,511.4

Thanks I have found the link.  The numbers are still exaggerated though. I expect the numbers to get more realiistic by Jan 10th.  Cyberkada will be passed over night unless he becomes significantly active.  The last one should be more on the order of 300 days.  (Note to self:  Consider doing something to decrease that time.  ;) )

I like this line "IKV Nemesis will not be overtaken by anyone!".  When it lists how long until I overtake Raven I'll like it even more.  :)

MOO!

Happy New Year all and beware the Great Moo Hunt V2.0. 

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #168 on: December 31, 2005, 08:27:17 am »
unless you are adding more machines to your mix, you have forgotten a couple of  details.
 I am going to add another HT machine of my own in the 30-60 days. That should add an RAC of 600-800 (todays numbers)to the mix
Seti is going to switch to the enhanced client in the next few weeks. WU's will take 4-10X longer to crunch. WU's will have deadline measured in months instead of days. It could take up to 3 months to get credit if 1 person is slow in crunching and returning

PS, how about unhiding your farm so I can really see what I need to do to stay on top.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #169 on: January 02, 2006, 06:02:37 am »
unless you are adding more machines to your mix, you have forgotten a couple of  details.

I am going to add another HT machine of my own in the 30-60 days. That should add an RAC of 600-800 (todays numbers)to the mix

It isn't that I have forgotten it, it is that at this point there are too many variables to take into account. 

1/ My RAC is not stabilized yet. (Currently listed as 604.25 but over the last 6 days my total has gone up by 6300 - 6300/6=1050)
2/ When/if you add the additional machine, its actual RAC, how much control you have over it.
3/ I've been toying with putting together an Athlon X2 myself and that would be a major boost to my RAC as well. :)

Seti is going to switch to the enhanced client in the next few weeks. WU's will take 4-10X longer to crunch. WU's will have deadline measured in months instead of days. It could take up to 3 months to get credit if 1 person is slow in crunching and returning

Considering that SETI 1 going offline soon was over 2 years I am not going to worry too much over the "enhanced client".  Also unless they abandon the existing concept of cobblestones then a WU taking longer will just mean more credit/WU so no change.  It might cost you some credit yourself, will your two slow machines still be useful if WUs take 4-10X times longer?

PS, how about unhiding your farm so I can really see what I need to do to stay on top.

My little farm. 

Date activated Recent average credit     Total credit     # of CPUs    CPU type                     CPU Speed
Dec 19th               191.14                     3,423.65           2            Athlon(TM) MP 2100+    1.733ghz
Dec 23rd               151.54                     1,988.57           1            Athlon(tm) XP 3200+     2.2ghz
Dec 23rd               157.19                     2,052.79           1            Turion(tm) 64 ML-34      1.8ghz
Dec 26th               152.39                     2,056.65           2            Athlon(TM) MP 2400+    2.0ghz
Total                  ~652 

Remember my RACs are still increasing though the first machine should stabilize soon.

I passed Cyberkada on the 1st and SlackerJoe last night putting me in 8th for total output. 

5 ) AJTK            26,323.40   247.85  United States
6 ) f9TH SIR X    20,909.17     9.85  New Zealand
7 ) KD4             11,050.56    11.84  United States
8 ) IKV Nemesis   9,585.73   602.26  Canada
9 ) SlackerJoe       9,350.29    11.06  United States
10) Putanginamo  8,687.99    65.43  Philippines

KD4 should be hehind me Tuesday night then it will take a while to pass f9TH SIR X as that gap is bigger.

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #170 on: January 02, 2006, 07:20:04 am »
Yes, my new box will be under my direct control just like the 1.5 P4 is. This one is to replace the bad motherboard on the 766 celeron with the intel 810 chipset that gave up a couple of months back. Perhaps you will remember that from another thread. I am building this one on the cheap from parts I pick up off of ebay as I get the time and money. Somewhere in the next 12 months however, I do need to build a new, kickbutt system because this Shuttle AV40 was, while the hottest thing around when I built it, is getting to be a bit antiquated. It will get one one last CPU upgrade and then it will be seti crunching and massive data storage.

As for the enhanced client, havent you noticed the Berkley infrastructuring buckling under the present load? they need to slow the project down so the hardware can keep up. As soon as the data merge between the old and new is done, they are supposed to start implamenting this. The 2 sets of work and clients will comingle for a few weeks untill they get the last minute bugs worked out. This is going to happen ASAP, weeks not months. The added bonus will be that they will be getting better science with the enhanced client.

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #171 on: January 02, 2006, 07:57:22 am »
On another note, I was hoping that with the new team output we could stop our slide in the standings, but it doesn't seem possible so far.  :(

http://www.boincsynergy.com/stats/overtake.php?project=sah&team=4

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #172 on: January 04, 2006, 05:11:08 pm »
I passed KD4 for total total credit on schedule last night.  Next f9TH SIR X.

6 ) f9TH SIR X     20,951.52     11.87     New Zealand
7 ) IKV Nemesis    11,737.66    664.18    Canada
8 ) KD4    11,050.56    11.84    United States

I also passed Raven for RAC.

1) IKV Nemesis     11,737.66     664.18     Canada
2) Raven    768,980.08    662.79    United States
3) The Postman    147,149.99    490.79    United States

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #173 on: January 04, 2006, 05:12:33 pm »
For those who may not have noticed there is an outage notice.

Outage Notice
In order to gain more resources to clean out our database, we shut off all the data servers starting at 16:15 UTC. We probably won't be back up until Thursday around noon (Pacific time). More about it in Technical News.

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #174 on: January 04, 2006, 06:06:36 pm »
Today marks my 3rd anniversary with seti. :) As for the outage, I think I have enough to hold me over. Congrats to you for getting ahead of RAVEN. I don't think he has noticed yet. As a matter of fact I don't remember seeing him for a while on the boards.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #175 on: January 04, 2006, 06:14:18 pm »
Today marks my 3rd anniversary with seti. :)

Congratulations. 

As for the outage, I think I have enough to hold me over. Congrats to you for getting ahead of RAVEN. I don't think he has noticed yet. As a matter of fact I don't remember seeing him for a while on the boards.

I only have a 2 day cache.  Raven is around, mostly in Hot and Spicey.  Maybe I should post a "Raven has been dethroned" thread in Hot and Spicey to stir him up. 

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #176 on: January 04, 2006, 07:00:20 pm »
January 4, 2006
Happy New Year! SETI@home Enhanced 5.0 is released (and will go to public if no problems show up). Still no graphics on Linux due to dynamic symbols not being properly exported. If any Linux hackers want to take a whack at it, please do.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #177 on: January 07, 2006, 01:47:08 pm »
                        Days
f9TH SIR X            9.7
AJTK                  28.6
Kenneth Yeast      79.3
RazalYllib           106.8
The Postman      613.5
Raven              9,431.1

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #178 on: January 07, 2006, 02:04:14 pm »
From SETI site.
January 7, 2006
There is a lab-wide problem (not just SETI@home) that is causing our connection to the world to briefly disappear every few minutes. Otherwise everything is working just fine.

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #179 on: January 07, 2006, 05:12:55 pm »