Topic: SETI Thread  (Read 186140 times)

Offline The Postman

• 1st Sgt, Bugler, Commander, L. A. Tifft Camp 15, SUVCW
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
Re: SETI Thread
« Reply #320 on: May 21, 2006, 07:41:16 am »
 I ran 4.18/4.11 together with 5.12 for quite a while. I actually was receiving a mix of WU's for a couple of weeks on the Asus and the 1.7's. Your numbers are going to be down no matter what.  My shuttle was running an RAC of ~350, yesterdays output with the optimised enhanced app was 160. my 1.7's that were running just under 400, are now running around 250.

on another note, the dial up is no longer stressed. Where I was doing 60+ wu a day through the dialup, I am only doing 12-15 now

Link: ht

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #321 on: May 21, 2006, 08:41:22 am »
on another note, the dial up is no longer stressed. Where I was doing 60+ wu a day through the dialup, I am only doing 12-15 now

That is good news as I hoped.  Now I can plan for future upgrades of SETI processing power.  ;)
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #322 on: May 21, 2006, 10:42:59 pm »
Something I haven't seen before.  Two of my systems have WUs with status marked "preempted".  Anyone see that under enhanced?
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #323 on: May 22, 2006, 05:01:12 pm »
Something I haven't seen before.  Two of my systems have WUs with status marked "preempted".  Anyone see that under enhanced?

I see it all  of the time. When the manager downloads a WU with an earlier dead line, it will jump to those WU's. The manager always crunchs the earliest deadline 1st.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 05:22:49 pm by The Postman »

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #324 on: May 22, 2006, 05:17:44 pm »
Well I'm back and running after a 24 hour break. Between these 2 trees, I had no power at my house for 24 hours, which only came back on about 90 miutes ago.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #325 on: May 22, 2006, 07:55:16 pm »

I see it all  of the time. When the manager downloads a WU with an earlier dead line, it will jump to those WU's. The manager always crunchs the earliest deadline 1st.

Thanks for the info.

I think that I will run the standard Enhaced client until next Sunday then try the optimized clients on a machine or 2.  The laptop should get the biggest increase so it is my number 1 for the upgrade then one of the dual CPU Linux machines..

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #326 on: May 23, 2006, 12:01:34 am »
Well I spoke to soon, After only 4 hours, yet another tree went down knocking out power untill 5 minutes ago. At this rate, I will never finish any WUs. :(

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #327 on: May 24, 2006, 05:25:38 pm »
Well I spoke to soon, After only 4 hours, yet another tree went down knocking out power untill 5 minutes ago. At this rate, I will never finish any WUs. :(

As my router has gone flakey I can sympathiize with you.  Getting another router with serial port so I can connect the modem to the network as my internet connection won't be easy.

So if I go "missing" for a few days just blame a dead router and remember "I'll be back".

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #328 on: May 24, 2006, 08:33:08 pm »

As my router has gone flakey I can sympathiize with you.  Getting another router with serial port so I can connect the modem to the network as my internet connection won't be easy.

So if I go "missing" for a few days just blame a dead router and remember "I'll be back".

Good luck amd we'll be waiting for your return.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #329 on: May 24, 2006, 09:24:14 pm »

Good luck amd we'll be waiting for your return.

I haven't gone yet. 

The router is behaving "poorly" but it is still working (mostly).  Last night one of the sockets just didn't work so one of my computers had no network access.  I left it unplugged all day while I was at work then plugged it back in and all 4 sockets functioned and I was able to upload WUs without trouble.  I have put an old heatsink on it as I think that it is overheating.  I sent an E-Mail to see if my brother-in-law still has the similar old unit that he once had and still wants to get rid of it.  If so I may get it before the current one fails utterly.

I had a spare 8 port router but my mother is using it right now as the firewall for her cable internet connection.  It doesn't have a serial port unfortunately or I would just quickly grab a new 4 port router for her and take back the 8 port.  For now at least I'm still online, just not reliable enough that I would willingly play SFC as I can't trust the connection to stay stable or reliable enough to be sure I'm still online tomorrow. I have a 4 day cache so I should be able to last through any router caused outage until I can get another router and get back online.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #330 on: May 27, 2006, 09:21:17 pm »
Looks like I can get the replacement router with serial port, I just don't know when I can squeeze in the time to get it.

I was too busy to remember to turn down the cache on any of my systems so they will continue with the non optimized client for at least another week.

On the bright side:
Position in Country stats   197 (Canada of course)
World Position (based on incremental update)   4,535
Position in 'sign-up date' stats   2  (#1 by the end of June)
Top 1% both overall and in Canada.

So I'm doing fairly well in spite of the last second transfer to SETI II from I.

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #331 on: May 29, 2006, 08:19:30 am »
It was never my plan to replace my AV40 board, but since I have with a board that can run non prescott cores, would you replace the RAM or the CPU first? Right now I have a 400fsb set up with a 1.5 P4 and pc2100. I can move up to 800fsb, pc3200 and all socket 478's short of prescott. What order would you upgrade if it was going to be done in steps rather than all at once?

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #332 on: May 30, 2006, 07:09:37 pm »
It was never my plan to replace my AV40 board, but since I have with a board that can run non prescott cores, would you replace the RAM or the CPU first? Right now I have a 400fsb set up with a 1.5 P4 and pc2100. I can move up to 800fsb, pc3200 and all socket 478's short of prescott. What order would you upgrade if it was going to be done in steps rather than all at once?

I don't have any current experience with Pentiums so I can't be sure.  As a general principle I would leave upgrading the component whose price will drop most before the upgrade till last.  That would be the CPU in my opinion.  Add in that people are beginning to transition to DDR2 and there is the risk that if you leave the memory upgrade till later you may run into a price increase for the RAM instead of decrease.

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #333 on: June 03, 2006, 04:56:29 pm »

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #334 on: June 04, 2006, 07:43:49 pm »
It appears that the client optimizer Crunch3r has left the SETI community and taken his website down so I don't know when or if I'll get to upgrade to an optimized client for my Linux machines.  I have a client that is better but suboptimal for my laptop and maybe for the gaming machine.  I'm testing it on the laptop now.  Perhaps next weekend I'll see if it works on the gaming machine.  So I guess that for the forseeable future I won't reach the heights I once did.

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #335 on: June 04, 2006, 07:59:42 pm »
I have Windows SSE and SSE2  5.12 put away if you can use them

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #336 on: June 05, 2006, 06:31:05 pm »
I have Windows SSE and SSE2  5.12 put away if you can use them

Thanks for the offer but I have the SSE2 for Windows.  The ones I need are the SSE3 for Athlon and the Linux SSE for Athlon.

Crunch3r may yet return.  One of the comments indicated he was in talks with the admins and it might still be resolved.

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #337 on: June 05, 2006, 08:09:43 pm »
Happy Birthday Raven ;D

Offline GE-Raven

• Lord God Emperor for Life of the Taldren SETI Group
  • D.Net VIP
  • Commander
  • The cause of AND solution to life's problems
    • Raven's Nest
« Reply #338 on: June 06, 2006, 10:23:27 am »
Happy Birthday Raven ;D

Thanks Man.

GE-Raven

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #339 on: June 22, 2006, 10:28:04 pm »
Good News and Bad News

Good News:  I installed the updated OpenSuSE 10.1 on one of my 2 SuSE machines and my WU output for that machine went up by 50%

Bad News: The credit per WU dropped by 50% so that machine is outputting more work and getting less credit.

Since it really is about processing the maximum amount of data I'll be updating the 2nd OpenSuSE machine this weekend and hopefully get the same increase in output WUs. 

If I get the chance I may try and see if the Windows BOINC version of SETI works faster on Linux/Wine as did the old SETI.  If so I can migrate the optimzed Windows client to those machines and maximize my output though I don't know how it will affect my RAC.