Link: ht

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Re: SETI Thread
« Reply #342 on: June 29, 2006, 08:34:44 pm »
Good News and Bad News

Good News:  I installed the updated OpenSuSE 10.1 on one of my 2 SuSE machines and my WU output for that machine went up by 50%

Bad News: The credit per WU dropped by 50% so that machine is outputting more work and getting less credit.

Since it really is about processing the maximum amount of data I'll be updating the 2nd OpenSuSE machine this weekend and hopefully get the same increase in output WUs. 

If I get the chance I may try and see if the Windows BOINC version of SETI works faster on Linux/Wine as did the old SETI.  If so I can migrate the optimzed Windows client to those machines and maximize my output though I don't know how it will affect my RAC.

The OpenSuSE updated machine went back to normal times it must have just been a single anomolous batch of WUs all at once.  I didn't yet upgrade the 2nd machine as it wouldn't read the DVD+R/W I used and I didn't get a DVD+R to burn until fairly late Sunday.  I still plan to do the BOINC/Wine tests when time is available.

I did just hit 2 personal SETI landmarks.  I passed 250,000 Credits and reached #1  in 'sign-up date' stats.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline The Postman

• 1st Sgt, Bugler, Commander, L. A. Tifft Camp 15, SUVCW
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #343 on: June 30, 2006, 06:37:38 pm »
I am going to the land of Moose and loons with the family for some R&R. I will be back in a week with hopefully empty caches. So the plan is the dial up up will have a very busy night when I return uploading a weeks worth of work. :)

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #344 on: July 16, 2006, 07:23:17 am »
IKV Nemesis, Have you checked to see if KWSN Chicken has made any apps that you could use?

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #345 on: July 16, 2006, 08:10:39 am »
IKV Nemesis, Have you checked to see if KWSN Chicken has made any apps that you could use?

I'm using one now.  However one of my machines is having "issues" it may just need a new network card or the motherboard may be going so it may be sometime before I reach my old RAC.  Hopefully just the network card as it may be sometime before I can swap the motherboard.
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #346 on: July 16, 2006, 08:55:16 am »

I'm using one now.  However one of my machines is having "issues" it may just need a new network card or the motherboard may be going so it may be sometime before I reach my old RAC.  Hopefully just the network card as it may be sometime before I can swap the motherboard.

Have you seen enough to say which is better, Cruncher vs Chicken?

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #347 on: July 16, 2006, 09:17:04 am »
Have you seen enough to say which is better, Cruncher vs Chicken?

The one I'm using is on a Linux machine, I didn't have Crunchers for SETI Enhanced on Linux, so I can't say.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #348 on: July 17, 2006, 05:29:25 pm »
A good reason for delaying upgrading my output.  (Along with waiting for the Core2Duo dust to settle)

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #349 on: July 17, 2006, 06:36:02 pm »
Did it do much damage?

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #350 on: July 17, 2006, 06:39:55 pm »
Did it do much damage?

Looks like light damage to a shed only.  Can't really tell all the details till the tree is chopped up on Tuesday.

EDITED in:
The 2nd trunk of the big old maple decided to come down.  It appears to have knocked out my 2nd phone line and possibly taken my mainline down but left it functioning.  I think I'll be turning off the SETI machines tonight until I come home from work on Tuesday just in case something extreme happens while they are cutting things up.  The hydro comes in on the other side of the building so that is safe.  Now of course both my neighbours are annoyed as the 2nd trunks branches overhang the other neighbours fence and block their yard access.

Naturally overnight we are scheduled to have a thunderstorm.   Hopefully that won't cause any damage.

The joys of home owning.  Can't just call the landlord and say deal with it.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 09:42:56 pm by IKV Nemesis »

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #351 on: July 18, 2006, 06:22:48 pm »
It appears to have knocked out my 2nd phone line and possibly taken my mainline down but left it functioning.

BUREAUCRACY!

I called to get my downed phone line and the nonfunctional line fixed.  Because it isn't dangerous just a problem they want to wait until next Monday to fix the downed line.  My 2nd line they would probably fix quicker but since I don't recall the number and it isn't listed on my bill (I use it for dial up internet only so I don't ever give the number out) the repair center can't schedule a repair.  I have to contact customer service before 5 pm, the repair service can't access the account info.  So tomorrow I have to try and get hold of them during business hours to schedule the repair of the non functioning line which means that the scheduled repair of the downed line shouldn't be needed.  If they decide not to push it ahead I'll tell them just to disconnect the 2nd line and use only one. 

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #352 on: July 21, 2006, 07:10:47 pm »
BUREAUCRACY!

I called to get my downed phone line and the nonfunctional line fixed.  Because it isn't dangerous just a problem they want to wait until next Monday to fix the downed line.  My 2nd line they would probably fix quicker but since I don't recall the number and it isn't listed on my bill (I use it for dial up internet only so I don't ever give the number out) the repair center can't schedule a repair.  I have to contact customer service before 5 pm, the repair service can't access the account info.  So tomorrow I have to try and get hold of them during business hours to schedule the repair of the non functioning line which means that the scheduled repair of the downed line shouldn't be needed.  If they decide not to push it ahead I'll tell them just to disconnect the 2nd line and use only one. 

I managed to get the number on Wednesday and called the repair request in and they fixed it today.  The repaired line is also allowing the 50666 bps compared to the 43000 I've been getting lately. 

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #353 on: July 21, 2006, 08:35:56 pm »
So does that mean you are back up and running?

In other news, I will be dropping out for a week so. hopefully the power won't hiccup this time while I am gone.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #354 on: July 22, 2006, 04:48:20 am »

The one computer is down still at least until I can get another network card (if that is the only problem) in a week or so.  If the problem is bigger then it is down for a few months at least. 

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #355 on: July 22, 2006, 08:48:06 am »
Well I guess it is time to start the "friendly" jibes...

Still waiting for your "push" Postman  ;D

I should have my new machine on Friday...

3.2 Ghz... DDR2 memory... MMMMMM  fast!

GE-Raven

Raven, My RAC has been in first for a while now. If you can tear your self away from Mrs. Raven and Baby raven, you might want to kick start some of your machines :)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #356 on: August 01, 2006, 04:19:41 am »

The one computer is down still at least until I can get another network card (if that is the only problem) in a week or so.  If the problem is bigger then it is down for a few months at least. 

I got the network card and installed it.  The card is working.  Tonight I hope to try setting up the Windows version of BOINC on SETI just to see if like the old SETI the Windows version is more efficient.  The old SETI Windows version ran 10% faster on Linux than on Windows while the Linux client was slower.

However I'm planning on finally being able to actually use the laptop for what it was bought for so that machine will be producing intermittently, it'll leave my RAC bouncing around but hopefully higher than it currently is.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #357 on: August 01, 2006, 04:44:43 pm »
I just recieved an E-Mail from my ISP telling me that my account was being terminated as I requested.  I did not request termination of my account and have E-Mailed them to tell them so.  So if I go missing its ISP problems.  I'll be back.

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #358 on: August 01, 2006, 05:35:14 pm »
I just recieved an E-Mail from my ISP telling me that my account was being terminated as I requested.  I did not request termination of my account and have E-Mailed them to tell them so.  So if I go missing its ISP problems.  I'll be back.

It is always something.

I lost a power supply on one of my farm machines while I was on Vacation. I am told it went back online around noon today. We shall see.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #359 on: August 01, 2006, 06:10:47 pm »

It is always something.

I lost a power supply on one of my farm machines while I was on Vacation. I am told it went back online around noon today. We shall see.

Sure is.

I just got a follow up E-Mail telling me to disregard the termination notice. Hopefully I'm safe (crossing fingers)

On the other hand the heat is over powering my air conditioner and the just repaired machine is acting up.  I hope its just the heat.  If it is just the heat it will be up as soon as temperatures drop.