Topic: SETI Thread  (Read 186179 times)

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
Re: SETI Thread
« Reply #380 on: August 24, 2006, 08:55:28 pm »
*looks at nems and postmans RAC* good lordy...  its going to take some work to beat you all ;)
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #381 on: August 26, 2006, 01:34:14 pm »
*looks at nems and postmans RAC* good lordy...  its going to take some work to beat you all ;)

Hopefully you can do it.  The more the teams output rises the better.  Just don't expect us to make it easy for you.   :thumbsup:
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #382 on: August 27, 2006, 02:19:39 pm »
Things are finally back together after the router power supply died and all computers are net connected once more with completed WUs all turned in.  So my dropping RAC is on the rise again. 
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline The Postman

• 1st Sgt, Bugler, Commander, L. A. Tifft Camp 15, SUVCW
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #383 on: August 27, 2006, 08:00:48 pm »
Glad to see your back on track :thumbsup:

Link: ht

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #384 on: August 27, 2006, 08:35:34 pm »
Now the question is where will my RAC stabilize?  I think it is in its target area now as the optimized clients speed me up but claim less. 

That of course only lasts until I decide to either rebuild the dual Athlon XP 2100+ or build a new machine.  (Or take the laptop offline).

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #385 on: September 08, 2006, 06:19:33 pm »
I hope everyone has full caches because it looks like the spltters are down for the weekend. That means no new work until at least mid day Monday :(

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #386 on: September 09, 2006, 11:18:09 am »
I hope everyone has full caches because it looks like the spltters are down for the weekend. That means no new work until at least mid day Monday :(

got me a bunch fo 13 hour projects that should take me 10 hours to complete... so i'm fine ;)
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #387 on: September 10, 2006, 04:19:03 pm »
I may run short but will make it at least until mid day Monday so as long as I can connect once I get home from work I won't be out for too long.  That may be a big if however with all the contention likely for connections.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #388 on: September 11, 2006, 06:50:07 pm »
Two of my machines are out now the other two should last overnight.  I may leave my connection up and hope to pick up some WUs over night.

EDIT:  I spoke too soon.  One of the machines that was out just got a single WU downloaded.  Hopefully more to come as the other is still sitting empty.

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #389 on: September 16, 2006, 05:37:38 pm »
Well i just hit a new record for my computers, 440 WOOOT
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Darth Sidious

• Lt.
  • One Winged Angel
« Reply #390 on: September 18, 2006, 03:41:07 pm »
I apparently fail at getting FedoraCore5 BONIC working nicely.  I was hoping for more than ~50 RAC from the thing.

And yes, I am a Linux n00b

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #391 on: September 18, 2006, 05:33:24 pm »
I apparently fail at getting FedoraCore5 BONIC working nicely.  I was hoping for more than ~50 RAC from the thing.

I just took a look at your stats and will make a couple of suggestions.
1st stretch your cache size out to 3 or more days. by keeping it small, the scheduler sends you small wu's that get small  credit. The RAC goes up with the big WU's.
 2nd You need to hook up with Nemesis andget him to set you up with the enhanced crunchers that you need for AMD-Linux. I use the windows/Intel crunchers and my RAC is double what it would be with the stock issued ones. As long as your not interested in the graphics, this is the way to go. By removing the graphics code from the cruncher, it cuts the time in half and therefore you get twice the credit and RAC.
 3rd If you can do it, double  your ram to 512. That will also get you bigger WU's. As a matter of fact, if you post what RAM you need, somebody might have some extra lying around and send it to you. :)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #392 on: September 18, 2006, 08:46:28 pm »

2nd You need to hook up with Nemesis andget him to set you up with the enhanced crunchers that you need for AMD-Linux. I use the windows/Intel crunchers and my RAC is double what it would be with the stock issued ones. As long as your not interested in the graphics, this is the way to go. By removing the graphics code from the cruncher, it cuts the time in half and therefore you get twice the credit and RAC.

3rd If you can do it, double  your ram to 512. That will also get you bigger WU's. As a matter of fact, if you post what RAM you need, somebody might have some extra lying around and send it to you. :)

I'm far from an expert with Linux myself and I don't use Fedora (OpenSuSE for me). 

Early on with old SETI I set up my first serious Linux system and the SETI crawled.  Then I did a reinstall and left out all the stuff that I wasn't actually planning to use and the performance of that Linux running Duron surged strongly enough that it competed well with a Windows running Athlon that was faster.  If your not careful (like I wasn't) you'll find that your Linux install is running all sorts of services and utilities that you have no interest in.

There is a command line utility called top (all lower case) that lists what is running and how much memory and the % of the processor that is in use by each item.  If you are not doing anything the Seti Boinc should be running at 99% +.

This is the link to the optimized SETI BOINC client that I'm using.

Hope that helps.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #393 on: September 18, 2006, 09:24:39 pm »

Actually your making an error of interpretation.  Here is a link to your stats.

Your RAC is based on a longer time period than you have yet had with that machine.  Watch it rise day by day until it stabilizes.

If you scroll down the linked page you'll see a table with your recent output.  Your actual days since you received credit recently are listed below. 
Credit/day   188   187   214   107   0   61   

My Linux based dual Athlon XP 2100+ is running around a RAC of ~300. 

Offline Darth Sidious

• Lt.
  • One Winged Angel
« Reply #394 on: September 19, 2006, 09:19:06 am »
I'll have to give that enhanced client a try when I get home.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #395 on: September 20, 2006, 08:28:46 pm »
I'm finally being able to use my laptop as intended so its going offline permanently as soon as the cache is empty.  Which means my RAC should drop to 800-900 until my next upgrade (dual cores are getting very tempting).

I do plan a couple of experiments to see if I can't squeeze a few more points out of the Linux machines but don't expect anything spectacular so just maybe I'll stay a little over 900.

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #396 on: September 23, 2006, 06:28:18 pm »
 :)

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #397 on: September 23, 2006, 06:42:02 pm »
And the other way  :)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #398 on: September 23, 2006, 06:42:35 pm »
The laptop ran its cache down Thursday.  On Friday I took it to work with me.  On the way I attempted to boot it up to do some note taking.  Windows wouldn't load no matter what I did.  Eventually I found the utility in the BIOS to restore to the factory installed Windows.  Which of course meant I lost all the configuring I had done.

I did learn two things however:

The first is just an observation and I could be wrong.  It appears that if you give an account admin access in Windows it resets all the Admin functions to factory default.  So after I created a specific user to be Admin Auto Update and the XP Firewall were turned back on, which solves a mystery of how that happened last time. 

The 2nd is the advantage of free software.  I naturally didn't have software install disks with me not expecting to need them.  Most of the software on the system is free software and I kept the original install files so was able to reinstall my Open Office and Firefox among other programs on the fly. 

As a side note the restore utility claimed to be loading Windows 98 and used a version of the Symantic Ghost utility.  I'm assuming its just the integrated DOS (which Microsoft denied existed) from 98 not the whole OS installed in the BIOS.  Too bad it isn't able to be booted and used directly.  For some things it would be enough.

Offline Max Torps

• Is this thing on? <tap> Hello?
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #399 on: September 25, 2006, 10:33:39 am »
I've joined the Taldren team and have used Chicken's SSE2 enhancements for the two AMD's I have and the P4. They've made a huge improvement - roughly 25% on the processing time of a WU!

I notice they've made it now that if folk leave the team it retains the credits which is how it should be. Nice.  :)