Topic: SETI Thread  (Read 186207 times)

Offline The Postman

• 1st Sgt, Bugler, Commander, L. A. Tifft Camp 15, SUVCW
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
Re: SETI Thread
« Reply #400 on: September 25, 2006, 05:31:48 pm »
Max, welcome to the team. :)  In other news, AJTK left the team and went ARMY.  :(

Link: ht

Offline Max Torps

• Is this thing on? <tap> Hello?
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #401 on: September 30, 2006, 07:47:55 pm »
I've just added a laptop to the stable of three. I wonder how it will affect RAC - despite getting a flurry of those rubbish WU's that generate -9 overflow errors. What a pain they are.

Offline Darth Sidious

• Lt.
  • One Winged Angel
« Reply #402 on: September 30, 2006, 08:26:05 pm »
Had to ditch FC5.  Couldnt get samba shares working the way I wanted to; so 2003'd it, but still running BONIC

Also added my personal DC laptop to the mix; and willl be adding an old W2k 800mhz duron; and possibly another mid-power laptop.

Offline Max Torps

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #403 on: October 01, 2006, 06:35:37 am »
Hmmmm If I do run a D2 server at some point that'll mean I'll have to take my best cruncher offline for it.

Does anyone know or has anyone tried running a d2 server with the boinc app? Will it suspend activity when a player logs on for example? Or does it just scan for usage at keyboard/mouse level?

Offline Max Torps

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #404 on: October 02, 2006, 12:01:16 pm »
Had to ditch FC5.  Couldnt get samba shares working the way I wanted to; so 2003'd it, but still running BONIC

Also added my personal DC laptop to the mix; and willl be adding an old W2k 800mhz duron; and possibly another mid-power laptop.

Sounds like a good boost. What username do you go by on S@H? So I can track ya!  ;)

Offline Darth Sidious

• Lt.
  • One Winged Angel
« Reply #405 on: October 02, 2006, 12:51:07 pm »

Sounds like a good boost. What username do you go by on S@H? So I can track ya!  ;)

Same one I used for S@H1.  Phillip *****.

Probably wont be able to get that 2nd laptop into BOINC.  GF's laptop used heavily for graphic programs.  That and she doesnt want me putting junk on her laptop... until something breaks.

Offline Max Torps

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #406 on: October 02, 2006, 12:56:02 pm »
Yeah I know that feeling. I can see me losing 2 crunchers shortly...the laptop is sporadically running S@H anyway and will probably be kidnapped. Grrr.

Heh, I wonder if I can sell the idea to my mother and remotely install...hmmm

Offline Darth Sidious

• Lt.
  • One Winged Angel
« Reply #407 on: October 09, 2006, 07:53:52 am »
I must say; my DualCore laptop does quite well despite my using it frequently.

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #408 on: October 15, 2006, 11:00:42 am »
The servers are giving out 403 errors(can't upload finished WU's). I would expect that issue to be resolved sometime tomorrow. :)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #409 on: October 17, 2006, 06:56:16 pm »
I got home today and one of my UPS was sounding.  That computer is functioning "erratically".  I won't have the time to do anything about it until the weekend.  So expect my output to decline at least for a few days.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #410 on: October 23, 2006, 09:39:59 pm »
Just broke 500 on my RAC for the first time, new record for me WOOT :)
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #411 on: October 24, 2006, 06:33:15 pm »
I got home today and one of my UPS was sounding.  That computer is functioning "erratically".  I won't have the time to do anything about it until the weekend.  So expect my output to decline at least for a few days.

Unfortunately it was not the UPS.  It still might be the powersupply.  I may have a PSU that I can substitute this weekend.  If not then it may require a full rebuild and will be offline for a while.
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #412 on: October 26, 2006, 09:08:41 pm »
I underclocked (about 25%) the downed machine and it is working stably now.  I'll see if there is some way to stabilize it at full speed on the weekend.

Offline Darth Sidious

• Lt.
  • One Winged Angel
« Reply #413 on: October 27, 2006, 05:59:53 pm »
Couple days away from bringing my new PC online.

2.4ghz core2duo, 2gb ram.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #414 on: October 27, 2006, 08:36:57 pm »
I've been thinking of rebuilding one of my machines along those lines myself.  I may do so as a Christmas present to myself.  Let us know how it works out.

What motherboard, video etc are you going to use?

Offline Darth Sidious

• Lt.
  • One Winged Angel
« Reply #415 on: October 27, 2006, 09:52:07 pm »
I've been thinking of rebuilding one of my machines along those lines myself.  I may do so as a Christmas present to myself.  Let us know how it works out.

What motherboard, video etc are you going to use?

D946GZIS 946GZ motherboard, onboard video (not going to use it as a gaming machine) - but PCI-Express16 capable.  Will probably pick up a video card if Legacy runs poorly on my laptop (Core2duo 1.83, 1gb ram)

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #416 on: October 31, 2006, 05:21:00 pm »
Unless I am misunderstanding what I am seeing, Ken is giving up control of the team. Does somebody want to step forward and run this team?

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #417 on: October 31, 2006, 06:14:58 pm »
Unless I am misunderstanding what I am seeing, Ken is giving up control of the team. Does somebody want to step forward and run this team?

That is the way it looks.  How much "running" does it actually take?  Think we can con persuade Raven to do it?

Offline Darth Sidious

• Lt.
  • One Winged Angel
« Reply #418 on: October 31, 2006, 09:37:52 pm »

That is the way it looks.  How much "running" does it actually take?  Think we can con persuade Raven to do it?

I also nominate Raven to run the team.

Additionally, my new PC is up and running; and crunching SetiBoinc.

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #419 on: November 02, 2006, 07:36:07 pm »

I also nominate Raven to run the team.

Additionally, my new PC is up and running; and crunching SetiBoinc.

Maybe somebody should invite him to come over, we might be waiting a while otherwise. He hasn't been around here in quite a while..