Topic: SETI Thread  (Read 186145 times)

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
Re: SETI Thread
« Reply #480 on: August 03, 2007, 08:36:05 pm »
I'll be back.  It is just a matter of time.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline The Postman

• 1st Sgt, Bugler, Commander, L. A. Tifft Camp 15, SUVCW
  • D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #481 on: August 10, 2007, 07:27:12 pm »
For those running "Chicken Soup" Apps:

Hi Folks,

over at the main SETI@Home project, Multibeam apps have been released.

This marks a major turning point for the project, as we're switching from data gathered on the (now no longer operative) linefeed receiver at Arecibo to the newer ALFA Multibeam receiver (that can record 14 signals at the same time the old did one).

The updated apps also bring another change: the default credit multiplier was adjusted. It used to be 3.35, now it's 2.85. The reasoning behind this adjustment is the following - since a lot of optimized code from the lunatics apps was incorporated into the new MB stock applications, the processing speed improved significantly. Earlier, Eric Korpela wanted to increase the credit multiplier upon switching to MB; after the new code was added, the apps were so much quicker that instead it had to be reduced - to stay at approximately the same credits/hr as the old one.

This has created a bit of resentment among the power crunchers; after all, their bonus over the average user just got gutted. In contrast, all average users now process significantly more WUs, though they will continue to receive similar credit/time as before.

It all balances out in the end; at least, it should, IF:

Most people do update their optimized apps if they use any
There does not remain a "hard core" of crunchers refusing to update and skewing credit claims for everyone

Meaning: if you don't update your science app, you will overclaim compared to the average cruncher. Anyone care to remember what ensued the last time this happened? "Big Bada-Boom", as the fifth element would say...

So what happens if you say "ah well, screw it, it's not as if they could do anything about it"?

Well, wrong, they can and will. Namely, they (the S@H project) will reduce the credit multiplier even more to balance out the overclaimers, punishing EVERYONE for mistakes a few made. Next step will probably be, all KWSN apps up to 2.2 will be officially unwelcome at the main project.

I would ask you to consider this and make the right decision - another point to mention is that our optimization community will be much less motivated if people turn out to value credits more than fairness and scientific value. In fact, some of them would probably not continue to work on further optimizations.

So, I'd like to request that everyone update their science apps ASAP, please (I'm uploading them as this is posted).

Regards,
Simon.

Link: ht

Offline Darth Sidious

• Lt.
  • One Winged Angel
« Reply #482 on: August 10, 2007, 07:44:27 pm »
Oddly enough the timing is perfect.
2 of my machines bit the dust this week.  (Well, 1 dead, 1 needing data transfer/retirement).  My Core Duo Laptop either blew it's power supply or critically overheated.  It won't power up now.

So, i'll be down to one machine for the forseeable future.  I'll switch to standard client soonish

For those running "Chicken Soup" Apps:

Hi Folks,

over at the main SETI@Home project, Multibeam apps have been released.

This marks a major turning point for the project, as we're switching from data gathered on the (now no longer operative) linefeed receiver at Arecibo to the newer ALFA Multibeam receiver (that can record 14 signals at the same time the old did one).

The updated apps also bring another change: the default credit multiplier was adjusted. It used to be 3.35, now it's 2.85. The reasoning behind this adjustment is the following - since a lot of optimized code from the lunatics apps was incorporated into the new MB stock applications, the processing speed improved significantly. Earlier, Eric Korpela wanted to increase the credit multiplier upon switching to MB; after the new code was added, the apps were so much quicker that instead it had to be reduced - to stay at approximately the same credits/hr as the old one.

This has created a bit of resentment among the power crunchers; after all, their bonus over the average user just got gutted. In contrast, all average users now process significantly more WUs, though they will continue to receive similar credit/time as before.

It all balances out in the end; at least, it should, IF:

Most people do update their optimized apps if they use any
There does not remain a "hard core" of crunchers refusing to update and skewing credit claims for everyone

Meaning: if you don't update your science app, you will overclaim compared to the average cruncher. Anyone care to remember what ensued the last time this happened? "Big Bada-Boom", as the fifth element would say...

So what happens if you say "ah well, screw it, it's not as if they could do anything about it"?

Well, wrong, they can and will. Namely, they (the S@H project) will reduce the credit multiplier even more to balance out the overclaimers, punishing EVERYONE for mistakes a few made. Next step will probably be, all KWSN apps up to 2.2 will be officially unwelcome at the main project.

I would ask you to consider this and make the right decision - another point to mention is that our optimization community will be much less motivated if people turn out to value credits more than fairness and scientific value. In fact, some of them would probably not continue to work on further optimizations.

So, I'd like to request that everyone update their science apps ASAP, please (I'm uploading them as this is posted).

Regards,
Simon.

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #483 on: August 12, 2007, 07:45:14 am »
as of this AM, 3 of my crunchers are out of work. My best one has 1.5 MB  (multi Beam) WU's left and it too will be MT.  :(

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #484 on: August 15, 2007, 04:23:00 pm »
Processor question:
Is this a 64 bit processor?
Can I run 64 bit  crunchers?
Do I need a windows XP 64 to run those crunchers

Thanks

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #485 on: August 15, 2007, 07:44:35 pm »
Processor question:

Thanks

The AMD Turion is the mobile version of the Athlon64 and IS a 64 bit chip.  (I have a Turion laptop myself).  I haven't looked at running 64 bit software yet myself and wouldn't be running 64bit XP in any case.
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #486 on: August 15, 2007, 07:54:24 pm »
Processor question:

Thanks

The AMD Turion is the mobile version of the Athlon64 and IS a 64 bit chip.  (I have a Turion laptop myself).  I haven't looked at running 64 bit software yet myself and wouldn't be running 64bit XP in any case.

Thanks

http://lunatics.at/windows/some-refrormance-comparision-between-x86-and-x64-windows-based-apps.msg4411.html;topicseen#msg4411

right now it is running the 32 bit version of 2.4 SSE2. When I can get some time, I will try upgrading to the 64 bit and see what happens.

Offline GE-Raven

• Lord God Emperor for Life of the Taldren SETI Group
  • D.Net VIP
  • Commander
  • The cause of AND solution to life's problems
    • Raven's Nest
« Reply #487 on: August 17, 2007, 09:17:58 am »
Well I got to 2.5 million... however my production is about to quickly slow.  School year is almost here.

GE-Raven

Offline Darth Sidious

• Lt.
  • One Winged Angel
« Reply #488 on: August 17, 2007, 01:50:46 pm »
Speaking of Production - Mine is essentially done for the forseeable future.

Down to one PC; and cannot afford to have heat issues with the one machine I have left.  Gonna finish my current batch of WU's then take a break till I can aquire new machine(s)

Offline Tus-XC

• Capt
  • XenoCorp® Member
  • Commander
« Reply #489 on: August 23, 2007, 02:24:20 am »
Well my rig is back up... its been down since saturday.  Been trying to recover data for about... o 3 days.  finally gave up and fraged the hds, set them to raid 1 (smart this time ;)) and found out that low and behold, one of my drives is messed up since i get a degraded message on boot.  fun for me.  So looks like wd will be replacing a hd for me
Rob

"Elige Sortem Tuam"

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #490 on: October 06, 2007, 07:45:31 am »
I have had to take my laptop off line for a few weeks. However, as soon as the IT dept gets some RAM installed, I will be bringing one of my older P4's back on line.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #491 on: October 06, 2007, 08:45:32 am »
There seems to be a little more hope that my job will continue.  We have had 2 visits by a prospective buyer so far.  One of our top corporate executives is flying down to Florida for a meeting on the purchase.  We are supposed to be having another visit sometime this month by 12 people from the prospective buyers. 

What makes it only somewhat likely is that the buyers must deal with a 3rd party to buy the land and buildings which could involve an evironmental assessment.  Since this facility has been in use since the late 50s when standards were much lower the chance of an expensive failure is fairly high.  The land owners do want to sell though.  It all depends on whether the 2 companies realize that it is better to sell at a loss or low profit than keep it at a greater loss.  Also just how much the buyers are willing and able to spend on relatively short notice, they currently have only 3 plants so buying a 3rd is a major issue.

Originally our current owners were talking about a European purchaser but this is a North American one so it is possible there is another purchaser we haven't heard from yet.

If the sale doesn't go through I will likely be unemployed in time for Christmas.  :( The end of February at the latest.

If it does go through I could still be laid off.  If either I am not laid off or get another job that pays decently I'll be starting back up, probably with an ugraded machine.  ;)

Meanwhile keep things going guys.   :thumbsup:

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #493 on: December 29, 2007, 05:46:08 pm »
This thread is so dead, not like the old days. :(

My shuttle caught a cold courtesy of my 4 year old and killed it. Will rebuild and upgrade the CPU from a 1.5 P4  400fsb to 2.8 P4  800fsb  HT. I will upgrade the the RAM from pc2100 to pc3200 as budget allows. 
My 865 (running stock apps) chipset that my coworker was running has died from a cold and neglect from a teen age girl. The coworker is going to gift me the tower. will be rebuilt and upgraded from stock apps to chicken coop. 

If all goes as planned, I could see a RAC increase of 500 in a month or so.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #494 on: March 14, 2008, 09:41:28 pm »
They finally set a date for the end.  Friday May 30th.  After that it is job hunting time.  :(  It has been a very long time since i had to do that.

There are some jobs available elsewhere in the company and I was recommended for some of them by my (former) Supervisor who has already transferred elsewhere.  Unfortunately I can't take them as they are too far to commute and my (handicapped) parents need someone reliable to help them at times (which means me).

Our local top boss is using his connections in local business to try and find places for us and there are at least some possibilities coming up, some of which may apply to me. 

I do plan to see if my last employer (its been a long time) is hiring, they did say that if I ever wanted to come back I could ;).  Both my old supervisors are still there, when I apply I will list them as references :), that ought to attract attention.  It would be amusing to go back and in many ways much more convenient physically and my experiences since leaving would apply there if I return.

Offline Max Torps

• Is this thing on? <tap> Hello?
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #495 on: April 09, 2008, 05:21:41 pm »
Good luck with the job hunting Nemesis, hope it goes well.

I've recently dusted off the pc's and added as well as updated the boinc app on them. RAC should increase a bit now until I need the CPU for other stuff. Meanwhile it's all back to being devoted to the Taldren team...

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #496 on: April 10, 2008, 08:21:21 pm »
The job hunting is just beginning.  I had to trim back my spam filters to ensure that i don't filter out messages from prospective employers :banghead:.  I haven't seen spam in ages.  :(  The company is spreading my resume around to a variety of local firms with the plant managers endorsement.  Hopefully it will result in a job promptly as things are beginning to wind down quickly.  I'm hoping for the job promptly so I can roll most of the severance over into my pension fund (and thereby delay taxing it). 

Right now I have a machine running SETI to burn it in.  I was rebuilding it when the situation at work blew up.  I finally decided to finish rebuilding it and put it to work for now.  The RAC is ramping up quite nicely for one machine.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #497 on: May 11, 2008, 06:54:49 am »
I have a job application in that looks likely, I'm just waiting for the callback about an interview.  Its a"good news bad news" type of job though.

Good News its more money. If it works like the other facility that we have information on I'd be working every 2nd Sunday and be paid double time and a half for Sunday work which knocks the wages up even more (plus statutory holidays).  Based on what a co-worker who has already been accepted thinks, they may be looking for workers that can be promoted up from the ranks to supervision (which is more money of course if he is right and I get so promoted).  It is the same company that owns my current employers but I would still be laid off first and then rehired which means I get the severance pay.

Bad news its in Toronto and 12 hour shift work so I would have to either move (not going to happen because of my handicapped parents) or rent a room to sleep there (which is what I'm planning) and come home for "weekends" every 2 to 3 days.  That could be rough as I've never worked 12 hour shifts before.  I would be back to 2 weeks vacation annually though :(.  The room and longer transit will eat up part of the extra wages though.

If I get it then I will be up intermittently over the summer months, then get serious once the cooler weather comes in the fall. If this happens I will be looking to move up the list so be warned I'll be gunning for YOU!

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #498 on: June 06, 2008, 05:07:57 pm »
For now I have taken the SETI offline as I am officially unemployed for now.  I will be back.  Even when I get a job I may wait until the worst of the summer heat is over to get running again.

I have a job application in that looks likely, I'm just waiting for the callback about an interview.  Its a"good news bad news" type of job though.

It didn't come through.  There is the possiblity that some time down the road they will contact me with a job though. 

I had one job that was supposed to call me back by now and hasn't so I guess it isn't going to come through.  It would have only been a job to keep money coming in while looking for a real job so I'm not too disappointed.

I had another interview yesterday and they said I would hear from them in 2 weeks.  They called today with a "conditional" job offer.  I didn't get the call and my call back hasn't had a response yet.  There are some negatives to this job but it should be good enough.  Part of the conditional is going to be a police background search to find out if I have a criminal past.  That should not be an issue.

I also visited a former employer and met with one of my old bosses so did seem genuinely glad to see me (it has been a very long time) but as I already knew they are not hiring right now.  However it puts my resume in his hands rather than with a Vice President who has no clue who I am and since he is the one who would make the decision on hiring now that is where I wanted it.  It was good to see the old place, I wasn't sure it would survive when I left.  It is possible that sometime down the road this could get me a job closer to home.

Offline The Postman

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #499 on: June 08, 2008, 11:14:40 am »
Nem, we will miss your output :(, come back when you can.