Topic: 21 gun salute  (Read 26277 times)

Offline Keravnos

• Lt. Junior Grade
Re: 21 gun salute
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2004, 02:28:05 am »
A lot of time ago, and some universes away, a great game by the title of Freespace 2 suffered the same fate. Taldren was able to keep itself together long enough for us to enjoy what we continue to do, the best sci-fi tactical starship simulator. If that isn't a fitting ending to the saga of Taldren I don't know what is...

However, it feels like... " I have no mouth and I must scream!"

So, people a question. Who is organising the addition/admition of new races... of old back to their home?

I suggest an organisation, Led by Firesoul and crewed by those who know their C++, that the beta testers should be eligible for getting on first, to be called...

"Code command"

May our new home honor the old one.

Offline Keravnos

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2004, 02:32:55 am »
A lot of time ago, and some universes away, a great game by the title of Freespace 2 suffered the same fate. Taldren was able to keep itself together long enough for us to enjoy what we continue to do, the best sci-fi tactical starship simulator. If that isn't a fitting ending to the saga of Taldren I don't know what is...

However, it feels like... " I have no mouth and I must scream!"

So, people a question. Who is organising the addition/admition of new races... of old back to their home?

I suggest an organisation, Led by Firesoul and crewed by those who know their C++, that the beta testers should be eligible for getting on first, to be called...

"Code command"

May our new home honor the old one.

And of course the Purlple PhaserGs fizzle sillently in the night, with the yellow jackets fllying "missing man"...

Offline Merlinfmct87

• When I am dead, I hope it is said, 'His sins were scarlet and his books were read'. --Hillaire Belloc
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Riding Headfirst into a Hurricane...
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2004, 02:52:53 am »
Would it be too cheesey to re-visit this post when we can fire Webs, Shield Crackers, and DisDevs?

I think that would be a fitting tribute. The Dream didn't die, does that make sense? The spirit of Taldren is still alive?

I like the sound of that ... I just hope it becomes a reality.

I, Mudd.

We can already fire TR beams...

(onboard the A.I.F. Cathar)

"Commander, the Galactics are in position. TR banks are charged and ready, and the sound clip is cued on the U.S.S. Australia."

"Very well, target the Memorialized SatShip and prepare for displacement."

The bagpipes sounded througout the bridge of the A.I.F. Cathar, summing up the feelings of all present, from all ships...expressing the loss all felt in ways they would never let themselves express otherwise. An historic moment, to say the least.

"Commander, reports coming in...Stasis fields, PA panels, Web casters, Shield crackers...even our own Displacement Device! They are all off-line! Even the Galactics are reporting malfuctions...Plasma bolts are non-responsive, Fast-loading Photon Torpeodes...the list goes on! What happened?" the communications officer was genuinely shaken.

The Science officer broke the tension. "U.S.S. Australia firing first salvo sir."

"Very well-Fire all TR banks when we are called--and try to get that DisDev online!" The commander could not understand how this could be happening, the DisDev's had worked for so long...why were they failing now? Why now of all times?

"I can't sir! It's as if the system was never there!" the engineer replied

"Concurring reports coming in from the other ships Captain."

The Cathar was called, and delivered every TR beam it could muster. It was an awe-inspiring sight...seeing all the heavy weapons brought to bear to memorialize the fallen comrades. There wasn't a dry eye in the fleet.

"Captain, incoming message from the U.S.S. Austrailia...inquiring about lack of Memorial SatShip...similar questions to the Tholians, Seltorians, and the like...Replies are identical, system completely missing...same coming from all races about the lack of weapon fire options..."

"Send message U.S.S. Australia: Displacement Device missing, PA Panels offline, request permission to disembark to assertain cause of malfunction."

"Captain responding...request granted. Orders given to other races to do same. Reports that she will head investigation in her malfunction."

"Allright then. Set a course for the nearest Andromedan Base.

"We've got work to do."

I hope this doesn't sound too corney, I just wanted to contribute my part and give a little hope for the future...because this is not the end of an era...it's the start of a new one.

TracyG, you have shown your quality. Only the very highest. I look forward to reading your future posts.

Merlin
Learned the Heart's Filthy Lesson from Joshua Watcher.

The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world own shame.
-Oscar Wilde

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'
-Bob Newhart

Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent.
-Victor Hugo

He Took it all too far..but boy could he play guitar
-David Bowie, Ziggy Stardust

Offline kv1at3485

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2004, 04:57:18 am »
"From the stars we came and to the stars we return, until the end of time.:'(

Offline JayMoles

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2004, 09:30:02 am »
 :'(

Thank you Tracey, for starting it, and to all who have added their own fitting words.  I couldn't find my own words.

...but...  with such passing comes such promise.

"I feel... young." (James T. Kirk, in orbit around the newly forming Genesis planet)

I, too, feel young.

Offline Sandman3D

• Lt. Commander
  • Outalance Shipyards
    • SEDL
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2004, 05:22:15 pm »
Thanks Tracy. <S> To Taldren. ( Add Kilingon death howl).
 This place is nice but deep down in my heart i will allways feel like an exile.
I second the motion...already feel lost adrift, my home is gone... :'(

"Proudly you gathered, rank on rank to war,
As you heard God's message from afar;
All you had hoped for, all you had, you gave
To save mankind-yourself you scorned to save."

Offline zilly

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2004, 06:03:22 pm »
Great post Tracey.
Must say that is the most, um, erotic description of a red giant I have ever read.
 ;)

Offline Sandman3D

• Lt. Commander
  • Outalance Shipyards
    • SEDL
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2004, 06:15:09 pm »
"Proudly you gathered, rank on rank to war,
As you heard God's message from afar;
All you had hoped for, all you had, you gave
To save mankind-yourself you scorned to save."

Offline Soreyes

• Commander
  • It's Not News. It's CNN
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2004, 02:01:56 am »
The MSC Maus moves into position and fires a full spread of drones. (MDC+) Contacts Tracey to say will done my human friend.  :'(

As everyone else has said, i too will miss Taldren.

The MSC Close To The Edge(MDC+) moves into position next to MSC Maus. And Fires a full spread of Drones also. Soreyes leaves the Bridge afterwards saying something about changing his goggles due to them fogging up :'(

Well done Tracey.  well done

[img width=600 height=150]

Offline SkyFlyer

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2004, 02:24:01 am »
R.I.P Taldren  :'(   Perhaps one day Taldren will return.

--Forever, the Optimist.
Life is short... running makes it seem longer.

"A god who let us prove his existence would be an idol" - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Offline Merlinfmct87

• When I am dead, I hope it is said, 'His sins were scarlet and his books were read'. --Hillaire Belloc
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Riding Headfirst into a Hurricane...
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2004, 03:05:29 am »
R.I.P Taldren  :'(   Perhaps one day Taldren will return.

--Forever, the Optimist.

:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

From the ashes a fire shall be woken
A light from the shadow shall spring
Renewed shall be blade that was broken
The crownless again shall be king.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2004, 03:21:26 am by Merlinfmct87 »
Learned the Heart's Filthy Lesson from Joshua Watcher.

The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world own shame.
-Oscar Wilde

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'
-Bob Newhart

Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent.
-Victor Hugo

He Took it all too far..but boy could he play guitar
-David Bowie, Ziggy Stardust

Offline _SSCF_Hooch

• Old Guy
  • Lt. Junior Grade
  • Kirk was right
SSCF Remembers
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2004, 11:05:18 am »
The SSCF Rider in White silently glided into position along with the Integrity, China Doll, Frontier and many of the other SSCF ships.

"All ships remain at station"

"Captain Rolling...execute missing ship formation"

Slowly the ship began its' maneuver as it drifted up and out of formation, leaving a yawning hole in the array of ships.

"Sir, where will we go now? The true home world is gone..."

Hooch looked at the empty space that once was the planet of all their beginnings, a sadness? crept over him

"Yes it is gone yeoman, but the giants the walked there still live on "out there" they still know what they began and I just know we have not heard the last of them. They are only sleeping, taking a rest from their labors. They have left us here to keep their dreams alive until they re-awaken and begin to stir and come to walk among us again. We will not let their dream die, or slowly fade away into the past."

Hooch's voice fell silent

"Helm, signal the fleet to lay in course for star base Dynaverse...best speed"

"Communications deploy space buoy "Remember"

"Aye sir...buoy away"

?Engage warp drive helm?

?Warp drive active sir?coming about?

Slowly, almost reverently each ship winked into warp drive and disappeared, lastly the Rider in White flashed into warp and vanished from the beginnings of all things SFC.

The lonely buoy began transmitting its? message in the cold emptiness of space

?To those that enter this space:

Know this, once this space held the dreams and hopes of a great space faring race know as Taldrenites. They were as giants among ants. The space you are in is holy ground to us and we will defend it to the end. Treat this place accordingly or face the consequences of the entire Alpha Quadrant.?

The message was broadcast in Federation, Klingon, Kinzi, Lyran, Hydran, ISC, and Romulan. The voice was that of a large polar Kat called Jinn.

(oddly at the end one could faintly hear a snicker say ?that will be five bucks please?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2004, 08:46:57 pm by SSCF Hooch »

Offline SkyFlyer

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2004, 04:29:29 pm »
anyone know if the taldren.com domain is for sale? I think it would be neat if it could be kept as a rememberance site.
Life is short... running makes it seem longer.

"A god who let us prove his existence would be an idol" - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Offline J. Carney

• Son of Dixie
  • Commodore
  • Fortuna Favet Fortibus
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2004, 10:39:15 pm »
Great post Tracy... awesome.

Not much that can be said.

Aboard KE RIS Firesprite

"Riov, weapons powered down. What shall we do now? Where shall the Councel of Worlds meet now that Taldren is gone?"

"We shall meet wherever we choose, Arrain. This is not the end of history; it is the opening of a new chapter. Navigation, lay in a course for the Hearthworlds.

Communications, remember to leave all channels open for hails. I have faith that we shall be called here again, someday."
Everything I did in my life that was worthwhile I caught hell for. - Earl Warron

The advantages of living in the Heart of Dixie- low cost of living, peace and quiet and a conservative majority. For some reason I think that the first two items have a lot to do with the presence of the last one.

"Flag of Alabama I salute thee. To thee I pledge my allegiance, my service, and my life."

Offline TalonClaw

• Global Moderator
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2004, 12:04:11 am »
Wow! I just can't freaking believe the Taldren Forum is gone.  After all these years I don't know what I'm going to do with all the time I spent on the forum.   Well I suppose I'll spend some of that here.  No more being moderator so I'll find myself with more time on my hands.

Thanks for providing this site guys.

SSCF-Rolling

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2004, 10:10:35 pm »
Still sad.

I was told to get on this train and it will take me to where I belong... but I'm afraid of this train.  Everyone on here looks different and scared.

Why can't I go home?  Why were we cast out into the darkness... the cold.

Will there be light at the end of the tunnel?

I'm thankful for this place, I just don't belong here.

I just want to go home.

Offline TalonClaw

• Global Moderator
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2004, 11:42:20 am »
Still sad.

I was told to get on this train and it will take me to where I belong... but I'm afraid of this train.  Everyone on here looks different and scared.

Why can't I go home?  Why were we cast out into the darkness... the cold.

Will there be light at the end of the tunnel?

I'm thankful for this place, I just don't belong here.

I just want to go home.

As with most successful humans, you will adapt with time.

kortez

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2004, 10:10:00 pm »
To paraphrase Shakespeare, also from Hamlet,

Taldren was a company, taken all in all, we shall not see its like again.

I wish everyone who has worked for Taldren well and thank them for all they brought us.  Thank you seems insufficient, yet thanks are offered.

As for those who besmirch the sentiment of this topic, so eloquently expressed by TraceyG, watch it.

Offline pixelcr8er

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2004, 11:13:30 pm »
anyone know if the taldren.com domain is for sale? I think it would be neat if it could be kept as a rememberance site.

No Sky it will stay up. Erik will be adding to it from Korea and maybe...someday there will be more from here in the US

Ann

kortez

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2004, 11:26:15 am »
Many of us have a love for the SFC series.  We will always have a warm spot in our hearts for Taldren and the people from there who brought us a series of games we just love, as well.

Some people like to be criticial about everything.  Life is too short for that.