Topic: You know what would seriously tempt me to pay for something online...  (Read 7275 times)

Dash Jones

An SFC game...mayhaps a fully fleshed out OP patch or something similar, not even a fully fledged GAW...that was available for download to be burned to CD...Yes, I think that would be temptation...don't you???  Something with all the rules...no not rules...I mean added content imagined by Taldren with lets say...Tholians...andromedans...and mayhaps somemore things...

That way...if they could actually do something like that...they could skip the expenses of the middle man and profit from it themselves...AND do their own patches without any authorization or such things...just some ideas.

In fact, now that I think of it...I might actually prepay before the game is developed.  You know, they find out how many are willing to prepay, so they can see if they might earn enough to consider doing such an idea...and have the revenue to actually spend time working on said above content.

Just a nice little dream I've been having in the day at times...thought I'd share with all of you...especially Hyper...

Alidar Jarok

Activision would still need to take profit from them (Tholians, Feds, Kinks, and Rommies)

FireSoul

SFC2 EAW and OP's publisher is Interplay. Only SFC3's is Activision.

Alidar Jarok

Activision ownes the right to Star Trek games

FireSoul

.. that were made while they owned the license. These 2 games were made before that.

JMM

I would buy a game like that Dash, only if the dyna was stable and could handle six players, etc... at once in a single engagement. I would also like to see the timelines merged into one game, this SFC2, OP, then SFC3 has really divided the players. Can you imagine a server with thousands of people registered?

Operation Overlord can do it, Battlefield 1942 can do it, why can't Activision do it?

Star Wars Galaxies MIGHT do it, it remains to be seen  

FireSoul

answer: SFC uses directplay

Mr. Hypergol

Well Dash, I appreciate you thinking of me and of what we all want.

I think SFC is pretty much going to stay dormant until Paramount gives the Trek liscensing to some other company other than Activision.  Given the fact that Taldren and Activision don't seem to be getting along I think we'll have to wait until some other company can ask Taldren to make another SFC.  I would not trust any other company other than Taldren to make SFC, personally.  I think they were totally on the right track with the series until Activsion took it over and forced them to mutilate it with SFC3.(IMHO)

I believe Erik Bethke said that Taldren owns the source code for SFC, so perhaps they could make a non-trek based game that was SFC/SFB "under the hood" but with everything renamed to remove the Trek.  For example, we'd have laser 1,2, & 3's instead of phaser 1,2, & 3's, although the damage tables (from SFB) would be the same.  In this case only Amarillo Design Bureau's permission would be required.  This kind of thing could work because the data behind SFB was totally developed by ADB and has nothing to do with Star Trek, i.e. there is nothing in Trek that says a phaser does such-in such damage at such-in-such range.  Paramount does not own SFB based data....just the Trek overlay shall we say.  SFB's/SFC could function exactly the same "as a game" no matter what everything was named.  You'd of course have different ship models and race names for races like the Feds, Klingons, etc......but the game would be the same functionally.  Lastly, if the game was adequately moddable, the Star Trek overlay could be added right back in by the fans.

We can only hope that Taldren could/would do something like this.  Perhaps they could cut a deal with ADB to create an online game together using SFB based data.

Best of all.....you could still call it "Galaxies at War".  

FireSoul

Personally, I would enjoy it if it was.. modable..
*wink wink*

-- Luc

Sethan

Quote:

I believe Erik Bethke said that Taldren owns the source code for SFC, so perhaps they could make a non-trek based game that was SFC/SFB "under the hood" but with everything renamed to remove the Trek.  For example, we'd have laser 1,2, & 3's instead of phaser 1,2, & 3's, although the damage tables (from SFB) would be the same.  In this case only Amarillo Design Bureau's permission would be required.  This kind of thing could work because the data behind SFB was totally developed by ADB and has nothing to do with Star Trek, i.e. there is nothing in Trek that says a phaser does such-in such damage at such-in-such range.  Paramount does not own SFB based data....just the Trek overlay shall we say.  SFB's/SFC could function exactly the same "as a game" no matter what everything was named.  You'd of course have different ship models and race names for races like the Feds, Klingons, etc......but the game would be the same functionally.  Lastly, if the game was adequately moddable, the Star Trek overlay could be added right back in by the fans.

We can only hope that Taldren could/would do something like this.  Perhaps they could cut a deal with ADB to create an online game together using SFB based data.

I'd buy that for a dollar... or fifty.

Then the wife would kill me.

...but at least I'd die happy.  

Dogmatix!

Re: You know what would seriously tempt me to pay for something online...
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2003, 04:32:19 pm »
I was just talking with Frey just the other day (poetic, I know) about how I'd pay in advance for GaW...hell.  I'd pay a lot more for GaW than is normally the price of a new game title.  I'd buy multiple copies and made sure my friends who couldn't afford it had a copy.

This is how bad I want a fully functional GaW-like product.

I'd even pay a monthly fee to access to servers.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Dogmatix! »

Toasty0

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2003, 05:56:12 pm »
<whistles in the dark>

Given the leaps that current tech has taken over the last 18 months I wouldn't be surprised if a total rewrite of the game engine would be in order.

<looks over shoulder for any green-blooded Romulan spies hiding in the near-by dumpster>

And is Taldren ready to distribute/publish its work?

<spins around and faces a funny looking bald cat scurrying across the dark street>

Assuming the engine would have to be written from scratch does the potential market return justifiy the upfront development costs?

<a group a midgets wearing robes with "SFB" embossed scross the front sit down and chant, "There is only one true rule set...">

Should the GaW-like game follow the SFB rule set. Or, should this also be built from scratch?

<Toasty0 snaps fingers>

*POOF*

Dash Jones

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2003, 06:34:03 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

I'd buy that for a dollar... or fifty.

Then the wife would kill me.

...but at least I'd die happy.    

I wouldn't mind paying $100+ prepay for development of a SFC/SFB based game myself, or more.  Black 9 is on the horizon, but overall, looking at what has come out in announcements of the future recently (in otherwords, nothing all that impressive), and seeing that SFC is one of my all time favorite series, I'd plunk down some serious cash.  If it's moddable, hopefully we could get an entire bandwagon of people (even if we could only get 1000 to 10000 that would be between 100,000 to 1,000,000 at $100 a pop) which surely could cover the cost of something...I would think.  I'm liking Hyper's idea more and more.

Oh yeah...and in answer to Toasty...my preference...since it would be a Taldren thing...follow the rules as closely as possible while still keeping the real time ability of the rest of the SFC engine type games (see didn't even call it an SFC game, only using the engine type, which of course means it would be using an SFC engine...but you know what I mean...)

« Last Edit: June 05, 2003, 06:37:04 pm by Dash Jones »

Captain KoraH

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2003, 06:45:05 pm »
...pipe dreams gentlemen, just pipe dreams....

Toasty0

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2003, 06:46:31 pm »
It ain't a picnic to publish your own games. Look at  3DO  who has a fairly good slate of games. They just filed for bankruptcy protection after being unable to sell off titles currently under development. That on top of the fact that the owner plowed 12 million of his own money into this once vibirant company over the past year.

Best,
Jerry  

Skawpya

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2003, 07:17:30 pm »
well in regards to a non star trek project done with the permission of adb, they have two possibilities already, one being the lesser magellanic cloud that last I checked was close to publishing. the other being omega sector, though for that, they still have a few more products to go before all the needed non vanilla ships, and minor races are ready.

Mr. Hypergol

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2003, 08:14:37 pm »

Quote:

...pipe dreams gentlemen, just pipe dreams....  

For 20 years I thought computerized Star Fleet Battles was a pipe dream.....but you know what.....now we have Starfleet Command and even SFBonline.  Just give it time.  

Mr. Hypergol

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2003, 08:19:04 pm »

Quote:

Should the GaW-like game follow the SFB rule set.  

Well it wouldn't be GAW if it didn't.....now would it?  

Kieran Forester

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2003, 07:54:26 am »
Quote:

Or, they could make a game using the Omega Sector SFB rules. That could be interesting, and I'm pretty sure Omega Sector doesn't use any standard Trek weapons except for maybe phasers. Not saying that I don't want GaW, with Andros + Tholians, mind, but it is an alternative.

Skawpya

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2003, 08:39:36 am »
actually if I recall, the andromedans arent star trek canon unless they really stretch the idea of the Kelvins being the andromedans. Thus they could be added to any omega sector or magellanic cloud product.