Topic: There *IS* going to be another OP patch.  (Read 34320 times)

Strafer

Re: There *IS* going to be another OP patch.
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2003, 02:38:03 pm »
that would be complex.
You would need to be able to select the swordfish, pick it's target, and launch it. There's no interface to do that.
Creating a drone that matches speed of target and generates a constant ECM stream would be easy enough I imagine, getting it out the launch tube would be hard.

Corbomite

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2003, 03:01:47 pm »
Quote:

that would be complex.
You would need to be able to select the swordfish, pick it's target, and launch it. There's no interface to do that.
Creating a drone that matches speed of target and generates a constant ECM stream would be easy enough I imagine, getting it out the launch tube would be hard.  

Modify a fighter to look like a drone, set it permanently on "Defend Me" and drop it out the shuttle bay. Of course, when the drone stops dead at range 6 from your target due to the fighter stopping bug people will scream bloody murder!  

IndyShark

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2003, 03:03:09 pm »
Firesoul, is there any chance your OP+ shiplist will be official in the new patch? Besides the neutral coop DV fix, that would make the OP patch really cool.

I'll keep my fingers crossed!

plesbit

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2003, 03:17:59 pm »
I haven't installed the last patch because I read that G2 phasers are completely broken by it.  Is this true and is it something which is likely to be fixed in the next patch?  I like the look of a lot of what is in the latest patch but as a Hydran fan the cons (i.e. broken G2's) outweigh the pros.  

FireSoul

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2003, 03:19:52 pm »
Quote:

Firesoul, is there any chance your OP+ shiplist will be official in the new patch? Besides the neutral coop DV fix, that would make the OP patch really cool.

I'll keep my fingers crossed!  

I know you asked last night via D2, but I'll respond here for everyone..
.. no, it's a mod. Besides, it could contain material that Taldren hasn't signed an agreement for.

Besides, I'm not done yet. I'm waiting for some times to happen first.. then I intend to do a big release version.
-- Luc
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by FireSoul »

Gamester

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2003, 04:02:14 pm »
Actually - I can tell you that the LWX arc is fixed, and some other arcs requested by Firesoul have been implemented besides (The graphics depictions of the new arcs on your ship weapons overlay will not be right, but that would require making new graphics - not gonna happen). That will allow him to do some pretty wonderful stuff to his custom shiplist.

There are lots of other goodies too - we all hope that this WILL be the patch that makes OP D2 a reality, but only time will tell.

Gamester

FireSoul

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2003, 04:20:12 pm »
Quote:

Actually - I can tell you that the LWX arc is fixed, and some other arcs requested by Firesoul have been implemented besides (The graphics depictions of the new arcs on your ship weapons overlay will not be right, but that would require making new graphics - not gonna happen). That will allow him to do some pretty wonderful stuff to his custom shiplist.

I'm hoping that some work will be done for these arcs.. because there are very close analagous arcs that could be used for the UI... and a couple of arcs that are not in SFC actually showed up in the random'd UI for these arcs. We'll wait and see.

Edit: If the extra work would have to be at the sprites.q3 level, then.. no. We'll have incorrect UI arcs for these additional arcs.
Edit2: PS. I was hoping the news about the added arcs would have stayed.... a surprise.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2003, 05:10:07 pm by FireSoul »

Dogmatix!

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2003, 04:53:38 pm »
Quote:

I asked David Ferrell if it was allright to let people know about the patching work currently in progress for SFC:OP.  I just got the OK from David Ferrell:

Quote:

At least it lets them know there is another patch coming.

Well, we've been at it for a few weeks now. DavidF has been swamped with bugfix requests and .. well.. just plain old requests... but I think all the issues have been mentioned so far. Currently we, the testers, have a debugging serverkit up which logs massive amounts of data after each mission. The goal is to collect hard valuable data about the "Neutral Coop Bug", and possibly any Pirate Map layer interaction bugs. It could be that both are related and are one and the same.

This post is in reaction to something I spotted lately in the forums:
Quote:

I have no idea what is or isn't planned in terms of future OP patches. I wouldn't hold my breath for another one, that's for sure.  

You can breathe now.    

That's definitely good to hear, but I'm still thinking it won't be a good idea for one to hold his or her breath in anticipation. Even under the best of circumstances, patches for the SFC series have been mighty slow in coming.  I mean, SFC3 was released about seven months ago and I think we're still waiting for the first (non-beta) patch, aren't we?  OP went about a year between patches?

Again...I'm very gratified that there is some hope and that maybe the neutral co-op bug will be red-carded and a sent off.  I just hope it happens in my lifetime....  

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Dogmatix! »

FireSoul

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2003, 05:06:58 pm »
Well.. let me share with you what's going on concerning the Neutral Coop bug at this moment.

The big problem with that bug, and the pirate map interaction problems I might add, is the sheer lack of information.
  "It sometimes occur when I do this."
  "It doesn't happen all the time."
  "It's only when under these circumstances.. but sometimes actually works."
etc..

So what was done is a non-fixed serverkit (for the current tester build only, sorry) which logs additional information. Testers would log into the test D2, and play a few games specifically to generate data.
ie: "10:10 pm EST. Hex: x,y. This guy drafted me. We're both klingons. Neutral coop bug occured."
The logs generated gave an idea of where to look, but the exact bug was not tracked down.

So another serverkit with even MORE log spammage was compiled and put in place. Some fixes are going to be attempted. Etc. This cycle will continue at need.

If the Neutral Coop Bug hasn't been squashed yet, it will be.

-- Luc

IndyShark

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2003, 07:48:59 pm »
Firesoul, that sounds great. I hope you smash the neutral coop bug. If push comes to push, delete the damn pirate map so the normal map works. That might be extreme, but who plays pirate anyway? It would be better to have a working D2 than have a broken map with no pirate players.

Unless of course you are going to fix the pirates!

Chris Jones

« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2003, 09:02:57 pm »
Good to see OP in the news again.. It was always my favorite over EAW.

Gamester

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2003, 09:19:56 pm »
I'm sorry - didn't mean to spoil the parade. . . Perhaps we testers should have a discussion in the tester's forum over what we will or will not say about the patch. I just like to keep ppl up to speed on what we are working on, because being totally clueless really sucks, AND I feel that it drums up flagging interest in OP (my fave SFC, BTW).

Gamester

FireSoul

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2003, 09:42:00 pm »
It doesn't matter much at this point..
.. We can just shut up here and let them all sweat it out.

-- Luc

FireSoul

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2003, 10:15:05 pm »
nah-huh.

THAT's always been DavidF's to do. Besides, the list is still growing.

FireSoul

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2003, 10:25:57 pm »
David's busy making a patch. Don't bug him, please.

Strafer

« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2003, 10:44:33 pm »
ROFL!

"Don't feed the programmers."!

kosh2000

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2003, 11:51:49 pm »
The cartel map can a on off be put in the gf files as a setting or get it out all together or put the cartels on the empire map instead ethier way the cartel layer has to go.

FireSoul

« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2003, 11:57:07 pm »
No. Instead the cartel layer should stay, and be fixed.

I really don't know why people want to remove the cartel layer. Seriously. Just fix it.
Besides, what is "Orion Pirates" without pirates? No, it's the product that was sold and it should just be fixed.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by FireSoul »

FireSoul

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2003, 12:09:33 am »
The problem was not what you could do with it, the problem was what you couldn't do with it. Attacks on hexes which have a cartel owner underneath would affect the DV result of the attack. The bugs there are weird.. and I can't explain it right. However with the current debugging we're doing, it'll probably get fixed.

If the cartel layer doesn't affect the normal layer's DV results, and vice-versa, there are no problems. The 2 maps can coexist flawlessly. Removing the layer completely would cause a lot of problems on the DB side, I would suspect.. and is a lot more trouble than just fixing the bugs.

-- Luc

Cleaven

« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2003, 01:46:48 am »
And make the cartel DV's visible too.