Topic: There *IS* going to be another OP patch.  (Read 34321 times)

FireSoul

There *IS* going to be another OP patch.
« on: June 07, 2003, 11:19:46 am »
I asked David Ferrell if it was allright to let people know about the patching work currently in progress for SFC:OP.  I just got the OK from David Ferrell:

Quote:

At least it lets them know there is another patch coming.

Well, we've been at it for a few weeks now. DavidF has been swamped with bugfix requests and .. well.. just plain old requests... but I think all the issues have been mentioned so far. Currently we, the testers, have a debugging serverkit up which logs massive amounts of data after each mission. The goal is to collect hard valuable data about the "Neutral Coop Bug", and possibly any Pirate Map layer interaction bugs. It could be that both are related and are one and the same.

This post is in reaction to something I spotted lately in the forums:
Quote:

I have no idea what is or isn't planned in terms of future OP patches. I wouldn't hold my breath for another one, that's for sure.  

You can breathe now.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by FireSoul »

Klingon Fanatic

Re: There *IS* going to be another OP patch.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2003, 03:56:39 pm »
Thanks for this encouraging news Firesoul.

Do you know if  the Romulan cloak issue going to be fixed?

KF

FireSoul

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2003, 04:15:01 pm »
Quote:

Unless something obvious pops up that'll tell Taldren patches (DavidF) exactly where the problem is? .. no.  

Magnum357

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2003, 06:30:55 pm »
Ya, thanks Firesoul.  Maybe Taldren can actually fix my problem where I can't play a single darn game on GSA.  I'm able to play SFC1 and SFC3 on GSA with no problems, but OP is a different story.

FireSoul

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2003, 06:33:50 pm »
hm. Do you have a firewall somewhere?

Cleaven

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2003, 07:31:10 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Unless something obvious pops up that'll tell Taldren patches (DavidF) exactly where the problem is? .. no.  

It needs extra code, as opposed to being a bug.  

FireSoul

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2003, 08:11:25 pm »
We *did* make a post, requesting enhancements to it. That definitely doesn't mean it garantees its presence in the patch.
.. I know. I know. I'd like to see it in the patch too.

-- Luc

IndyShark

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2003, 09:17:27 pm »
Firesoul, thanks for the effort. You and I are in complete agreement in regards to the superiority of OP over EAW. With the latest patch, there will be no debate.

Keep up the good work my friend!

Alidar Jarok

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2003, 10:18:39 pm »
I guess I should try to get Orion Pirates.  I had the chance to get OP or EAW and I went with EAW.  Actually, I got lucky.  I wanted to get Armada, but they only had Armada 2 (which meant no SP Romulans), so I lucked out big time by getting the much superior SFC.

Which do you think would be a better choice, OP or the original SFC?

FireSoul

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2003, 10:28:13 pm »
A lot more players play EAW. OP is superior in design and has more material, weapons, etc.

Most EAW players didn't think there was enough of a difference between EAW and OP to wararnt spending.  

I picked OP. I support OP. I work a lot for OP. I did a lot of stuff for OP. I say: OP.

Cleaven

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2003, 10:46:09 pm »
Could you imagine what would happen if the cloak code was improved in OP? At least all the Romulans would play OP. I guess the same could be said for improving AI fighter code to get around certain Issues. Lead a thirsty horse to water and he will drink.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Cleaven »

FireSoul

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2003, 11:02:35 pm »
Hey.. don't shoot the messenger. The cloak request has already been passed a little while ago. We'll see if he'll pick up on it.
-- Luc

Magnum357

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2003, 12:09:53 am »
Hey Firesoul, nope, I don't have a Firewall.  I have not clue why OP just doesn't work for me on GSA.  I agree with you, I prefer OP to EAW anyday.  I was one of those guys that thought OP just didn't have any more features that warented it, but I"m glad I found out differently!  I only paid 9 bucks for this baby a few months ago and never regreated it since.  

As for my Multiplayer problems, I have no clue why I can't play the game against anybody.  I have tired everything I can think of and it still doesn't work.  Good news is that I was able to install SFC1 Gold and have had no problems playing multiplayer games on GSA with it.  At least I can play some SFB rule with some people with it, but even 4 years after it was published, SFC1 is still a fun game to play.

On a side note, I'm about 85% complete with my first ever SFC model.  Its based on SFB rules and such and I'm really hoping the SFC community (especiall the SFB fans) like it.  I'm still a novice with Milkshape, but I'm getting better and this model is not bad in my opinion with such a simple 3D program.  

I just hope the next OP patch can solve my problems.

FireSoul

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2003, 12:11:32 am »
wait.. have you made your GSA rescan for all games installed on HD?

Magnum357

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2003, 12:35:49 am »
hmm... if I understand what you mean, I would have to say no.  How exactly would that help?  GSA does identify OP when I login.  

FireSoul

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2003, 12:43:23 am »
Ok..
next.. uhm..

.. what's your OS? Who's your ISP? What type of connection? Which DirectX is used?

Let me explain: SFC EAW and OP were both based on DX7. To play on GSA, you need the DirectPlay TCP and UDP ports to work, as well as the GSA-related ports. Anything higher or equal to DX9 should be good.

.. now, by firewall, I mean any device or software that may filter the network traffic between you and GSA. It could be within your OS , turned on, without you knowing it. (Windows XP). It could be the device you may be using for net connectivity. (ie: linksys router).
.. and it could be at your ISP's.

If you can positively say you have all of these items covered and double-checked, then I too don't know what's wrong.

Cleaven

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2003, 02:07:10 am »
Also describe stepwise what happens when you are in an OP room on GSA, ready, and the game is started.

Does the same thing happen if you make your own room, ready up and start the game by yourself (alone that is)?  

The_Infiltrator

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2003, 02:45:56 am »
3 Things I'd like to see:

1. Fix the LWX arc. It annoys me.
2. Fix the stop dead in space fighter bug/defend me bug. It's repeatable, happens every time. Corbormite has all the details on this one.
3. Give the poor romulans their SFB cloak. They'd be much safer when cloaked, though when cloaking they'd be a bit more vunerable. They already don't have bolts or carriers.

Things I'd love to have them add (IE, cold day in hell):
Fighters and PF functionality for all races. You don't need to add the content, we'll do that. And it would be nice if they were to do this that they would allow fighters and PF's on the same ship at the same time.

jdmckinney

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2003, 09:07:12 am »
Actually, "cold day in hell" might be more apt a description for some of these (still would be awfully nice to have):

1. Webs
2. PA Panels
3. Displacement Device
4. Stasis Field Generator
5. "Extra" race slots on the empire map for modders to add races

Or, more reasonable:

6. Abililty to turn off engine doubling for individual cartels (again for race modders)
7. Fighter loadout restrictions
8. ACTUAL combat BPVs taken into account for matching/scoring (so whatever damage and supplies/fighters/PFs a ship has at the start affect the baseline BPV)
9. Plasma-I that follow the rules
10. Offensive Plasma-D for fighters

Sure, there's a whole lot more we could ask for. At this point, anything we get is gravy. Thanks Dave, for working on another patch. Thanks testers, for helping him and suggesting fixes.

IndyShark

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2003, 12:36:31 pm »
How about adding special drones for extra pp? The swordfish drone would be a cool addition for the Mirak and pirates only.