Topic: Romulan battlecruiser WIP (FKA D'Xorac)  (Read 10376 times)

Captain KoraH

Re: Nightsoft Romulan D'Xorac WIP's
« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2003, 03:28:38 am »
Speaking of Cheese's textures for this model, can we get a wip here Cheese?  I just can't wait to see this...

Reverend

« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2003, 07:30:16 pm »
me either! 5 pages strong, guys! hee hee!  

Raven Night

« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2003, 12:35:13 am »
Ok, I am having a wierd problem.

I create polygons, highlight a section (the nacelle blade), select.........lol

Well, I opened Max to go over the steps as I was writing this, and found out how to do it right.

.......never mind.

Captain KoraH

« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2003, 03:36:33 am »
lol

GJ Raven! I've seen Cheese's latest WIP on this ship and it's pretty impressive.  

Raven Night

« Reply #84 on: August 14, 2003, 07:09:06 pm »
Checking for an update if there is one

Raven Night

« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2003, 06:13:46 am »
Ok, here is a pic of my slow progress on this model......I have made a few tweaks here and there, the most major one the addition of the wingtip nacelle. It still needs alot of work. I have some open vertices that I do not know how to close (I have not learned how to make vertices or polys yet ), and other small problems I will work out sooner or later. Here is the pic.

picture of wingtip nacelle  

Captain KoraH

« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2003, 09:37:05 am »
From your WIP I can see you know exactly what I mean about redesigning the entire wing to get the look you wanted. Also, the drawing is a lot different from what you decided on in the end. It's important when taking a 2D drawing and making a 3D model out of it that you have a clear vision of what you want the end product to look like, and where you're willing to make compromises and where you're not. The D'Xorac, having only a single drawing from an odd angle, was very difficult to model in some areas, and I had to choose where to use "artistic license". I think the guiding principle of all these models I'm making for you should be that what you end up with, weather it's exactly like the drawing or not, captures the feeling you get when you first looked at the picture of the ship. I'm happy with the model I turned out, but believe me I completely understand about your wishes to "improve" on it. That's why we all got into SFC modeling anyway right? I fully support your efforts to alter the mesh to your personal specs with this model and every model I make.  

Raven Night

« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2003, 01:41:55 pm »
I appreciate your patience with me, and the fact you allow me such priveleges. I also hope that my assistance lowers your stress level, as I have been known to be a bit................picky.

There is one way you could help me when I am finished. There are two things I need to do, but have no idea how.

First, I need to close the open vertices. How to you make polygons.

Second, I would like to just mirror the changes. I tried cutting the model in half, but the problem is that some of the polys carry over to the other side, so I think mirroring that way cannot be done.

Lastly, I need to know how to make the ship a uniform object and smooth it.

Captain KoraH

« Reply #88 on: August 16, 2003, 03:33:48 am »
Ok, well making polys is easy. As in these screenshots (your UI may look different since everything in Max is user customizable) select the model, then click the create button, then select Face and under Edit Geometry select Create. You will see your model with all the vertices lit up. All you do is click on 3 verts, in order, counterclockwise.  You will see the new face. A polygon is nothing more than a collection of faces. Note that all faces have something called a "normal" which basically means the face only "faces" one direction. If you look at it from the other side it is transparent. So, anything you make that has more than one side you can see it from, must have normals facing both ways. You can do this by making another face by clicking the verts clockwise, or by using the normals modifiers. I noticed that your reworked NoHQuv had some faces with only one normal... you could only see them from one direction.

Moving vertices may be better for some situations than moving faces or polys. Select the Vertex button instead of the Face button to see the verts of the selcted object light up.

Note that when you have selected a sub object level (ie: vertex of face) you cannot select another object until you DE-select that sub object.

A quick but dirty way to close an open model is to use the Cap Holes modifier in the Modifiers/Mesh Editing menu. It will automatically close any open sides of the model for you by creating faces. The downside of this is that the Cap Holes modifier isn't very smart, and often does not do the job efficiently or cap off the open areas in the way you'd like. I say it's "dirty" because you always have to go back and fix what it screws up.

One thing you can do to help is run an STL check on the model. STL (STereoLithography) is a process used by companies to take a 3D model and feed it into a computerized laser to create a real object. Lots of automotive and aircraft parts, plastic model kit molds, and other machined items are made this way. Go to the Modifiers/Mesh Editing/STL Check button on the menu. You can set it to highlight edges of missing faces on the model for you, or to highlight multiple faces that occupy the same space ect ect.  Many great SFC models out there won't pass an STL check :P although all the stock Taldren ones do.

You can cut the model in half by using a slice plane or a boolean subtraction, and it will make new faces or polys where needed instead of deleting verts that make entire faces dissapear.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Captain KoraH »

Raven Night

« Reply #89 on: August 22, 2003, 09:16:34 pm »
Thanks, as you can see from my final work, the cap holes did just what you said........and it looked terrible. lol.

I will try to fix the problems, or rework it. I am learning as I go, but you get the idea on what I am looking for.

If I can get this ship right it will be very popular I imagine.

Raven Night

« Reply #90 on: September 29, 2003, 11:36:28 am »
I am still working on this model........I should have something to send you shortly.

ModelsPlease

Re: Romulan battlecruiser WIP (FKA D'Xorac)
« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2004, 08:48:07 pm »
Bump  

Kaenyne

« Reply #92 on: February 18, 2004, 01:38:01 pm »
Bump! for news

MrCue

« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2004, 06:02:19 pm »
If you speak of the D'Xorac, its in Battlezone.

Kaenyne

« Reply #94 on: February 18, 2004, 10:15:41 pm »
What is the Battlezone?

Raven Night

« Reply #95 on: February 19, 2004, 12:13:40 am »
Quote:

If you speak of the D'Xorac, its in Battlezone.  

Yes, and I would like to know what he means by this. This model was unfinished and uncompensated.

ModelsPlease

« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2004, 02:29:38 am »
Quote:

What is the Battlezone?  

Yes I would like to know too,is it a place I can D/L more ships for SFC?
And in reguards to this ship,is it part of the  new MOD that you spoke of in another thread Raven Night sir?Or is it a stand alone work,and if so will we ever see it completed.Sorry I'm just curious  
-MP  

MrCue

« Reply #97 on: February 19, 2004, 07:42:14 am »
The D'Xorac was in TNZ, Battlezone used TNZ with KoraH's permission as a base. The mod has been reworked into Battlezone and were busy doing some ballance & server testing.

We hope to have a public release of the mod soon.

This is the D'Xorac we have used from TNZ.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by cueball2000uk »

Kaenyne

« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2004, 08:12:37 am »
I know that TNZ is a mod, but I still am confused about what Battlezone is.

MrCue

« Reply #99 on: February 19, 2004, 08:16:33 am »
Battlezone is also a mod. It used TNZ as a base with TNZ's author Korah's permission.
The mod is for SFC3 and will be avaliable for download once we have finished our testing.

You can find information Here. Along with any updates on its status.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them there, and we will be more than happy to answer them.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by cueball2000uk »