Topic: New cloak not working as advertised  (Read 16708 times)

Corbomite

Re: New cloak not working as advertised
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2003, 08:27:58 pm »
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Corbomite »

Rod O'neal

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2003, 12:07:28 am »
A mauler should require a lock on to fire. I don't have a problem with it being put in with other direct fire weapons though. I imagine if you tried to put in every little detail of every rule we'd never get a game to play. I'm enjoying the improvements a lot. Thanks again    

TarMinyatur

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2003, 11:11:00 pm »
Quote:

Too true.

Being ramming weapons, both the ESG and ESG Lance are unaffected.

PPD should be fine.

Thanks,

Dave  

The PPD may have a problem. If a ship cloaks and is hit by PPD fire it will be destroyed and the game will CTD. This is recorded as a volley of 498 damage.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2003, 01:20:29 am by TarMinyatur »

Corbomite

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2003, 11:17:10 pm »
I'll do with you Tar

Corbomite

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2003, 11:51:42 pm »
Well I got it to do it in SP. I fired at range 4 when it was cloaked and the PPD connected. About 2 pulses in I CTD.

TarMinyatur

« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2003, 12:10:40 am »
Interesting, Corbomite. I'm on GSA now.

Pestalence

« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2003, 12:35:25 am »
Does everyone here have to number crunch or nitpick for bugs.. reporting them is one thing and the details are nice, however, David already poisted that this patch for OP is FINAL.. in other words, there will not be any more patch support client side for Orion Pirates, so bug hunting and such is pointless, unless it is to just announce them to the community...

as David Ferrell said, go play and have fun and stop nit picking the game to death.. it takes a lot of fun out of it for many of us, especially when the Developer of the game is not supporting the game any more...

I know many want OP to be the PC version of SFB, however many systems and functions have to be approximations of the SFB rules or just changed outright for balance sake.. maybe some look like bugs.... a CTD is a bug, but the Cloak was a slight oversight and has been redifigned by Taldren...

Read the OP Cover page 1 again in the Preamble of the manual... SFC : OP is "Based" on  SFB, not a direct copy of it....

just consider 1 thing before posting, This game is based on SFC and many things are approximations of the SFB rules, however, this game is Taldren's and the changes that they make is completely up to them.. if they want the Energizer Bunny drum across the screen in the middle of a battle because Taldren wants it there.. then so be it.. it is their game and their game engine and coding...

David said to get use to this patch version and play accordingly as the game is now Final version 2.5.4.10 and no future patches are coming out...

as for the damage table, it was an oversight, and David made a statement.. thus changing the way the Readme.txt reads.

just my $.02

Corbomite

« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2003, 01:40:36 am »
Quote:

The PPD may have a problem. If a ship cloaks and is hit by PPD fire it will be destroyed and the game will CTD. This is recorded as a volley of 498 damage.

The PPD must hit hull to do this while the ship is cloaked.

This is a real show stopper folks. We tested it numerous times. You might as well remove the ISC from the game if this is going to stay that way.

Cleaven

« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2003, 02:24:37 am »
Quote:

Does everyone here have to number crunch or nitpick for bugs.. reporting them is one thing and the details are nice, however, David already poisted that this patch for OP is FINAL.. in other words, there will not be any more patch support client side for Orion Pirates, so bug hunting and such is pointless, unless it is to just announce them to the community...

as David Ferrell said, go play and have fun and stop nit picking the game to death.. it takes a lot of fun out of it for many of us, especially when the Developer of the game is not supporting the game any more...

I know many want OP to be the PC version of SFB, however many systems and functions have to be approximations of the SFB rules or just changed outright for balance sake.. maybe some look like bugs.... a CTD is a bug, but the Cloak was a slight oversight and has been redifigned by Taldren...

Read the OP Cover page 1 again in the Preamble of the manual... SFC : OP is "Based" on  SFB, not a direct copy of it....

just consider 1 thing before posting, This game is based on SFC and many things are approximations of the SFB rules, however, this game is Taldren's and the changes that they make is completely up to them.. if they want the Energizer Bunny drum across the screen in the middle of a battle because Taldren wants it there.. then so be it.. it is their game and their game engine and coding...

David said to get use to this patch version and play accordingly as the game is now Final version 2.5.4.10 and no future patches are coming out...

as for the damage table, it was an oversight, and David made a statement.. thus changing the way the Readme.txt reads.

just my $.02  

I find it insulting to think that a quest for knowledge ie "Can you use the PPD against cloaked Rom without crashing?" is some sort of political or personal attack. And the thing that really bites is that this bug (in the truest "accidental" use of the term) is just another excuse by you to accuse people of being ultra orthodox SFB purests, which seems in your post to be right up there with burning the flag. That in my eyes, is just as intolerable as trying to suppress this sort of CTD information. You may not be able to change it or fix it but it is important to know it exists in the game engine. To specifically quote you " to get use to this patch version and play accordingly ".

Next thing you know somebody will be quoting the "SFC is not SFB" mantra as an excuse for criminal acts, along with the Twinkie Defence. Or better still, a good old fashioned book burning. Not acceptable! This is not Oz and The Emerald City isn't.    

Lepton1

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2003, 05:01:22 am »
I have a dumb question.  Did this whole PPD-cloak interaction with a CTD happen before this patch?  If so, why have I never heard of it and why was it not fixed?  If it is just happening with this patch, why is that so??  Is it a graphic error???  It is hard to believe that maybe because somewhere in there the code to deal with possible loss of lock for the PPD being faulty would cause a CTD.  It seems as if a number of CTDs have to do with graphics issues.  I would be interested in hearing people's thoughts on the issue.

EmeraldEdge

« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2003, 07:51:48 am »
Wow, just tried out the Cloak/PPD thing.  OUCH!  That's bad, once it hit hull, hello desktop.  

Mog

« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2003, 08:18:10 am »
Hang on a mo, shouldn't the PPD require a lock-on to be able to fire?

EmeraldEdge

« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2003, 08:22:08 am »
It's always been able to fire at a cloaked target, as far as I remember.  I seem to remember having some really one sided battles against the I-XCB, as it took it's 6 PPD and whittled away at me.  Cloak didn't do much to help either.  It was a long slow death, I couldn't catch up to him and no plasma would reach, so it was bye-bye Emerald.  Anyhow, this is a bad bug.  

TarMinyatur

« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2003, 08:48:59 am »
Quote:

I have a dumb question.  Did this whole PPD-cloak interaction with a CTD happen before this patch?

That is an excellent question. I know that the PPD does not do 500 damage against the hull of cloaked ships in EAW 2.036. I'm not certain what happens in OP 2.5.3.8.

Screen shot

The PPD also ignores the cloak chart. I've not seen a pulse do less than maximum yet.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2003, 10:33:32 am by TarMinyatur »

Corbomite

« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2003, 09:27:34 am »
Unless someone beats me to it, I'll reinstall 2538 this afternoon and find out. Since it is based on 2036, however, I doubt it will be there.

Quote:

Hang on a mo, shouldn't the PPD require a lock-on to be able to fire?

All DF weapons can fire without a lock on, your chance of hitting is just very, very slim. I have managed to hit with the PPD on a cloaked ship before, just not very often. If it is done ala SFB (there's that term again!!!!    ), each pulse must role for it's own wave lock, i.e. the rest don't get free rides once one hits.

EmeraldEdge

« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2003, 09:39:55 am »
I do seem to remember the "final" EAW patch had a few showstoppers and they did another to fix them.  

Dogmatix!

« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2003, 11:00:13 am »
I really hope Dave decides to go ahead and at least take care of the PPD vs cloaked ship CTD issue.  That's going to really be a problem in light of the fact that given the new benefits to cloaking, more people will be using it.

A lot of us have been doing a lot of work singing the praises of OP and buying community members free copies to drum up support for and interest in the game.  On top of that, the many, many very nice fixes that Dave implemented would seem to be almost for naught if we have a show-stopper bug like this one to contend with.

I could probably learn to live with the PPD DAC issue, but the PPD CTD bug is gonna be tough.

Crosses fingers....

jimmi7769

« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2003, 11:03:31 am »
Quote:

I do seem to remember the "final" EAW patch had a few showstoppers and they did another to fix them.  

How many final KISS tours have their been???

David Ferrell

« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2003, 11:38:43 am »
The only thing that could bring me out of retirement is a CTD, and unfortunately
you have found one.

Thanks,

Dave  

jimmi7769

« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2003, 11:47:38 am »
Quote:

The only thing that could bring me out of retirement is a CTD, and unfortunately
you have found one.

Thanks,

Dave  

Come on,  Just one more Tour..........what could it hurt.............