Topic: New cloak not working as advertised  (Read 16721 times)

TarMinyatur

New cloak not working as advertised
« on: July 18, 2003, 09:03:07 pm »
I have yet to observe a single Overloaded Photon do 4 points of damage. According to the published chart, 33% should do 16, 33% do 8, and 33% do 4. So far, approximately 2/3rds do 16 and 1/3 do 8 over about 100 shots.

Is the random number generator improperly set up? It may be giving a 0, 1, 2 when the intended results are 1, 2, 3, thereby shifting the cloak chart to a woeful:

IntRnd(3)
returns 0,1,2

0: Full damage (?)
1: Full damage
2: Half damage
3: Quarter damage (Can't occur)

IntRnd(3) + 1 would solve the problem if this is the case

Can anyone else confirm this?

Note that this is single-player. Are there two versions of the cloak chart? This would seem to be unlikely but it is possible. I'll get online and test multi.

I had some help from Centuri Vaughn and Sabercut on GSA. There is a bug here. Not a single OV Photon did less than 8 and a super majority of them did 16.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2003, 09:51:48 pm by TarMinyatur »

Tulmahk

Re: New cloak not working as advertised
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2003, 04:35:06 am »
One of the reasons I stopped playing SFC2 (aside from time constraints) was due to the incredibly poor implementation of the cloaking device, making Romulan ships far more difficult to play.

And the SFB rules DO allow for invisible cloak.  It merely requires a referee to moderate it.  In the computerized version of SFB, the computer acts automatically as that referee, so there is no need whatsoever for the Shade-and-DieŽ.  One of the worst game design decisions, ever.

Cleaven

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2003, 04:53:26 am »
My guess is that it was a short-cut taken due to other pressures, as opposed to a deliberate design decision made in the initial planning. It has just taken a long time to put it right (almost).  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Cleaven »

SPQR Renegade001

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2003, 09:48:40 am »
Quote:

One of the reasons I stopped playing SFC2 (aside from time constraints) was due to the incredibly poor implementation of the cloaking device, making Romulan ships far more difficult to play.

I have yet to play the new patch vs another human, but vs the AI cloak is now a very usfull tool. Using old style cloak tactics in a WE and then in a Sph-A, I made short work of an admiral level AI F-CC+. Neither ship took internals. Later vs an F-NEC, I was happy to see that the good old "duck and clear" works just fine for ditching those pesky drones.

I don't know how hard it'll be for a human player to void cloak, but Shade-and-DieŽ is dead. The Romulans who've fought for so long in broken Gorn ships and learned to compete with them, will now be all the more lethal for the experience.

Let the Federation fear the sound of our silence.  

I was surprised to learn that of all people, TarMinyatur was not on the testing team. Wether RL constraints, judgement call, or just oversight, the meticulous manner he applies to testing would have been an asset.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2003, 10:17:02 am by SPQR Renegade001 »

NannerSlug

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2003, 11:26:14 am »
sorry renegade, i completely disagree with that statment about tar. his post only proves no good deed goes unpunished.

dave has mentioned in different threads that it is an approximatioin of the sfb rule set - not exact.

so play the game and enjoy it. dave/taldren didnt have to do anything, but they decided to. i think there would be a little bit of a thank you. - as there is from many including your self (i dont expact any from tar).

play it. enjoy it. live it.

FireSoul

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2003, 11:55:04 am »
You see..
.. David didn't enhance the cloak because he had to. He did it because we asked him if he could. Same goes for fighters being recalled by AI Carriers, AI pirates using engine doubling, and AI using ECM/ECCM. It's all been in good faith.

Tar: just play it, and use the ECM effect which isn't supposed to be there by SFB rules to compensate.

Lepton1

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2003, 12:04:40 pm »
Tar isn't complaining.   He's pointing out an accident in what was clearly Dave's intention to use the cloak damage chart that is quoted in Dave's own posts.  Clearly if something went wrong, we should at least be aware of it, if not ask that it be changed since this was Dave's intention in the first place.

As for the cloak only being "like-SFB", that has more to do I think if you check Dave's and other posts with the loss of lock for seeking weapons.  This is SFB emulated portion.  But the cloak damage chart is the cloak damage chart and I firmly believe that is what Dave and everoyne else wants.

This is from Dave's own post:

Cloak changes:
1) Decreased flash time by about 1/4.
2) Seeking weapons now are removed if firing ship looses lock.
3) Being tractored will no longer prevent cloak from being brought on-line.
4) If a ship being tractored cloaks, the ship holding the cloaker will maintain lock.
5) Weapons damage is reduced according to the following chart:
33.3% chance weapon does normal damage.
33.3% chance weapon does 1/2 damage.
33.3% chance weapon does 1/4 damage.

If it isn't doing 1/4 damage, then that's a problem.

I'd be interested to know if any weapons are suffering 1/4 damage.  Perhaps there is some photon bonus that is effecting the cloak DAC.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Lepton1 »

Lepton1

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2003, 09:51:08 pm »
I am surprised there has been no official response. 100 trials says it all I think.  If it doesn't work the way intended then it should be stated so or fixed.

3dot14

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2003, 09:57:07 pm »
Is this such a big deal?

Consider the cloak has gotten a few bonus from its SFB cousin, it's not surprising it loses a few. Personally, I am inclined to simply alter the readme.txt to match the current situation.

Now I know I prefer this cloak to SFC3's hidden cloak (both as seeker or hider) and this OP cloak is far from shade and die. but I am curious, Tulmahk, how Exactly does the SFB's referring system work?

Scipio_66

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2003, 10:19:52 pm »
Yeah, yeah, maybe it doesn't work exactly as Mr. Ferrel intended.  But you know what?  It works so much better than it used to, and so much closer to SFB standard rules than it used to, that I'm not currently inclined to gripe about it.

I'm having so much fun watching a real cloak at work that I can't be bothered.  Now if Dave feels irked that it isn't quite what he intended and decides to make it match what he announced, that's all well and good.  I'll be glad.  But I'm not going to let this glitch annoy me right now.  I'm one happy Gorn...... errr I mean Rom..... errrrr I mean player.

Now I've got to go master the art of engaging these dastardly improved Roms.  (Yeah, yeah, little pointy-eared freak.  Cloak and ditch my plasma.  Let me get a little closer...... just a little closer....... <evil laughter> )

Thanks, Dave!    Very nice work indeed.

======

3dot 14:

In SFB, there were advanced optional rules that let you use hidden cloak if you and your opponent wanted to experiment with it.  It required a very honest opponent, or a moderator.  As I recall (been years since I used hidden cloak):

1) The cloaked ship was removed from the board, and it's location was kept track of secretly
2) 4 times a turn the enemy could ask for range and bearing
3) The enemy could fire whenever it wanted, but damage was kept secret.
4) The cloaked ship recieved a MASSIVE boost in BPV.
5) Everybody except the Rom got very, very bored.

Yeah, I was usually the Rom.  People (including me) have much more fun now that I use standard rules.  That doesn't mean it wasn't fun for specific scenarios, it was, but for general use I find (IMHO) that standard rules are more fun for everyone.  As with all opinions, your mileage may vary.

-S'Cipio
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Scipio_66 »

Lepton1

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2003, 10:32:55 pm »
No one is griping. We are merely making statement of facts and my own limited testing w/ regular photon torps seems to confirm his results. And I am just going to say it.  Here goes. Prepare to flame me.  Why didn't the beta testers catch this???  Seems logical to test something like this.  If Tar et al.  can do it in a couple of hours I assume or even a few hours, why not the beta testers??  Look I love this new patch, so don't get me wrong.  I am very excited about it and it is truely fantastic that the support has continued so long for this game.  Kudos and thanks to Dave and the beta testers, but this should have been easily caught either in the code during testing or in the announcement to characterize correctly how the cloak is working.  That simple.

Cleaven

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2003, 10:38:41 pm »
Quite right, I'm happy as it is, but I do like to know what the numbers are. If it's a mistake then that's cool (mistakes? in programming? never!) but it would be nice to know.  

TarMinyatur

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2003, 11:42:38 pm »
Quote:

Is this such a big deal?

...Personally, I am inclined to simply alter the readme.txt to match the current situation.

Agreed.

If the readme said that Deep Scan improved photon hit% by 33% wouldn't one expect to see that in the game?

I just want accurate documentation. Taldren can design their game as they wish. I only ask that they don't give us misinformation.  

TarMinyatur

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2003, 11:50:13 pm »
Quote:

sorry renegade, i completely disagree with that statment about tar. his post only proves no good deed goes unpunished.

dave has mentioned in different threads that it is an approximatioin of the sfb rule set - not exact.

so play the game and enjoy it. dave/taldren didnt have to do anything, but they decided to. i think there would be a little bit of a thank you. - as there is from many including your self (i dont expact any from tar).

Nanner, am I supposed to assume that the readme is false? If I see a cloak chart in text, I expect to see it mechanically...sheesh.  

FireSoul

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2003, 01:31:17 am »
Considering that the patch was released on Thursday, and this post was done at 7:30pm PST on a Friday night.. it's not surprising that nothing has happened yet.

I think the best thing to do is to wait for a bit through next week. If they want to fix it, they can... and it's all up to them.
-- Luc
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by FireSoul »

Rod O'neal

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2003, 08:33:01 am »
I'm a bit taken back by some of the negative comments directed at Tar here. All he did was find a bug and report it.  

Toasty0

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2003, 08:58:37 am »
Nanner,

Always with the negative waves Moriarty! Always with the negative waves.

Woof Woof!!

Best,
Jerry  

David Ferrell

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2003, 11:14:31 am »
It is a little sad that this (apparently) happend, but it's not a
big deal. The cloak is still much better than before. In fact FireSoul had a
valid opinion that having this reduction along with the ECM bonus was
too much.

This (if true) was a mistake made by me. It is not the end of the world
or even the end of SFC. If someone is always a glass half-empty guy
about this, that is their problem.

Why no response till now?  This was first posted Friday night, I still
haven't had a chance to check it yet and yesterday I spent a wonderful
day with my daughter at Comic Con in San Diego (thank you for asking).

Thanks,

Dave

« Last Edit: July 20, 2003, 12:37:41 pm by David Ferrell »

David Ferrell

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2003, 11:40:31 am »
I didn't see Jinxx.  Comic Con is HUGE!  Probably the biggest Con
I have ever been to (maybe World Con in the 1980's?).  There were
probably tens of thousands of people there.

My daughter got pictures with Maurice LaMarche (voice of the Brain),
Rob Paulson (voice of Pinky) and John DiMaggio (voice of Bender).  A
very cool day!

Thanks,

Dave  

Strafer

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2003, 12:18:09 pm »
Quote:

... In fact Strafer had a
valid opinion ...    

*snicker* this is the second time you mistake FireSoul and myself.

David Ferrell

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2003, 12:35:58 pm »
Sh... I mean shoot.  Your right of course.  FireSoul had a valid opinion,
Strafer *never* has a valid opinion.

Thanks,

Dave  

FireSoul

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2003, 12:52:29 pm »
ROFL!  

Sethan

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2003, 01:27:09 pm »
- Cloak was changed - this is good, as cloak was rarely useful before.

- Change was toward SFB - this is a good start, as SFB was fairly balanced where many things are concerned.

- Change didn't go as far as intended - this may be good, as one of the cloak features of old (ECM effects) might have made cloak too powerful if the change had gone all the way (it may be too powerful even now, haven't had the chance to test it yet - all my free playing time is going to LB4).

Overall - a good thing.  The bug needed to be pointed out, and it was.  I look forward to trying out the new cloak.

Tumulorum Fossor

« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2003, 09:57:22 pm »
Echoing Sethan.  'Bug' needed to be reported.  Good thing that it is.

Does 'bug' NEED to be 'fixed'?  I dunno.  Good reason to expect NOT.  If it's an easy fix, I'd welcome it, but current SFC cloak is SO MUCH BETTER that I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.  And I'm so thrilled over the support from Dave Ferrell (whom I hope is enjoying Comic Con... How do those Kingdom Come action figures look?) and the testers for this patch in the FIRST PLACE that I tread VERY carefully in this area because I do not want us, as a community, to come off as ingrates and not appreciative of just how remarkable the latest patch is.

If this is the worst thing about this patch, consider us all lucky.

And I do agree that no one should get their head torn off for simply REPORTING the existence of the cloaking "alternative method of damage calculation" (I hesitate at this point to continue calling it a 'bug').  That's a legitimate topic and effects game tactics.  Indeed, if no 'fix' arrives, I would be happy simply knowing exactly WHAT the probabilities are of damage with the cloak on, just for the sake of tactics.

I'd just urge all my fellow SFC OPer's to, when reporting bugs after this latest patch, and there will ALWAYS be more bugs, to be extremely diplomatic about it as it is remarkable that we have a game that is old, has a rabid fan base, AND devoted developers.  Let's not screw up whatever amazing cosmic karmic resonance that was needed for this to occur.

Anyhow, based on TarMinyatar's evaluation, are we reasonably sure that what is happening is 67% full damage, 33% half damage?

-TF

FireSoul

« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2003, 10:22:10 pm »
Yes, but Tar also mentioned that the weapons are doing effective range damage, not true range damage (I didn't realize that either during testing). Also, ECM can be used at the same time as the protection (which isn't supposed to happen).

.. wow.. bugs that cancel each other out.

TarMinyatur

« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2003, 11:01:40 pm »
This bug is a big deal if your opponent tends to have an abundance of  Phaser-1's and Photons. These two weapons benefit the most from this weak cloak chart. On the other hand, Disruptors and Hellbores are already penalized for attenuated damage. Adding the documented cloak chart to them would clearly be unfair. You could do 1 point of damage with an overloaded Dizzy or 4 points with an overloaded Hellbore. That's pathetic. Cripes, you do more damage to yourself in feedback!

Speaking hypothetically here...can the true range be used to calculate the initial damage for Disruptors and Hellbores against cloaked ships (i.e. the SFB method)? It would seem to solve the double-whammy that would occur with implementing the documented cloak chart. Since feedback already works on true range in SFC, one would think the code could use true range with a IsTargetCloaked() check when calculating damage after using the effective range for determining hit%.

Anyways, the Ph-1 is what really kills cloaked ships in SFC. It is still 83% as effective as it was. This is where an R*2 + 6 tweak would come in handy.

Regardless, thanks for looking into the cloak. It will be used more often which I think everyone will agree is a good thing.

-

Edited for an inaccurate claim.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2003, 11:11:19 pm by TarMinyatur »

SPQR Drall

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2003, 11:17:44 am »
First off,

Thanks for the effort from everyone involved.  Taldren did not have to do this.  Kudos!

For the bug, reporting it is ok.  The bug is not the end of the world.  As a Rom I'll take what I can

Now, there is one question that I've been trying to figure out since the specs of the patch came out.  I never posted it not too sound ungrateful, but then again, I'd like to understand it at some point.

The decision I don't understand is to shorten the flash cube time.  I have been playing Rom a long time and I am a PvP kinda guy.  The reason I never use the cloak in PvP is the flash cube.  Reducing the time of the flash cube doesn't help in any way since the tractor starts instantly.  So, I will be able to use the cloak at a distance to shake out drones, but against players I still have the same Achiles heel.  For the last 2 years I always thought, "damn, it they take away the flash cube, then I can use the cloak in PvP.  I think I still can't.

Did I miss anything?  Am I wrong?

I will go test this on GSA with fellow Roms, but I am pretty sure that a guy dropping speed because he engages the cloak that can still be flashcubed will not live long and prosper.

I am really curious to understand the rationale here.  Do not get me wrong, I appreciate the added benefits, but I was ok against AI already but I did hurt against players.  I think it will not chnage that a lot.  On PvP testing, did you guys really found that the Roms relying on cloak strategies were now more dangerous?

Again, I am happy about the improvements and I am sure the X-ships will benefit a lot.  I just would like to get this one.

Again, thanks for the patch!

SPQR Drall

P.S. Yes Nanner, I know...again I appreciate the patch, I am not petitioning for a change I just want to understand.
P.P.S Saved you a post

SPQR Renegade001

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2003, 11:33:21 am »
Flash & Grab will still be a problem for us, but little more so than when out from under cloak. The tractor can still be countered with repel trac or a WW, and ECM will still effect the D-fire weapons. In our favor with the new patch, is that the cloak can be fully engaged while were trying to break the tractor, and only the anchoring ship benifits from the anchor. Other ships still fail their target locks.

David Ferrell

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2003, 12:18:20 pm »
Confirmed.  
Actual chart:
66.7% does 100% damage.
33.3% does 50% damage.

Thanks,

Dave  

Holocat

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2003, 12:36:10 pm »
Is the actual chart for overloaded photons only, all photons only, all direct fire heavy weapons only, all direct fire weapons only, or all weapons, direct or non?

Curiousity only kills slow moving cats that forget to stay away from plasma,

Holocat.

David Ferrell

« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2003, 12:56:56 pm »
Chart is for all weapons.

Thanks,

Dave  

Sethan

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2003, 01:02:21 pm »
Quote:

The reason I never use the cloak in PvP is the flash cube....

<snip>

...For the last 2 years I always thought, "damn, it they take away the flash cube, then I can use the cloak in PvP.  I think I still can't.

The flash is necessary, IMHO - it is the only method for forcing a ship out of cloak.  If there were no way to flash a ship, it would be possible for a Rom or pirate to enter a battle, cloak, and just sit there, (virtually) invulnerable.

Without the ability to flash a cloaked ship, if the cloaker has a ship with a fair amount of spare power (or if the opponent ship is small), there would be no way to do enough damage through the cloak to force a ship out of it.

That would allow a cloaker to prolong a battle indefinitely.

Holocat

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2003, 01:22:55 pm »
Alright, so the calculation for cloak is now true range at (R+5)*2 with 1/3 of the damage cut in half, including seekers and plasma that maintain lock?

while were on this slightly off topic topic of weapon damage, I accidentally trolled through WeaponDamage.txt as well, and found this:
Quote:

Seeking weapon 1070,Damage reduced by 0.500000 due to ECM SHIFT

Does this mean a positive ECM shift will cut damage by half a point, or by half its total damage?  Do greater shifts cut damage in greater percents?

Pawing about,

Holocat.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Holocat »

FireSoul

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2003, 02:45:28 pm »
Quote:

The reason I never use the cloak in PvP is the flash cube.

Flash Cubing is a standard SFB tactic that made it into SFC2. It's my opinion that it's supposed to be there, and it has to be part of any player's tactics in PvP.
In otherwords... use your negate tractor more.

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2003, 04:46:40 pm »
"Flashing" of cloaked ships dates back to TOS: The Balance of Terror, which was the birth of the Romulans and the cloaking device. When the Enterprise fired its "proximity phasers" (really photons) and they exploded, you could see the image of the cloaked WB for an instant.

In ST3:TSfS, Kirk and Sulu could see the cloaked BoP with the naked eye on the viewscreen from the distortion it made against the starfield.

The cloak is not, nor was it ever meant to be an all-powerful, "Uber" weapon.

Thats reserved for Fed ships with 100% RE-VER-SE and magic photons.  

HAND!

TarMinyatur

« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2003, 07:26:20 pm »
Quote:

Alright, so the calculation for cloak is now true range at (R+5)*2 with 1/3 of the damage cut in half, including seekers and plasma that maintain lock?

while were on this slightly off topic topic of weapon damage, I accidentally trolled through WeaponDamage.txt as well, and found this:
Quote:

Does this mean a positive ECM shift will cut damage by half a point, or by half its total damage?  Do greater shifts cut damage in greater percents?

Pawing about,

Holocat.  

Holocat, that "Damage reduced by 0.5" is only found in single-player games. For some unkown reason to me, seeking weapons always do full damage in multi-player, regardless of the ECM shift. This is a benefit that plasma chuckers (and drone slingers) enjoy. However, the best defense against these weapons is usually speed. Only starbases should consider using this tactic to reduce damage in single-player since they're immobile.

Here's how it works:

Add the ECM shift to a die roll...

Result: Effect on warhead (missile, plasma, suicide shuttle)
1-6: Full damage
7-8: Half damage
9: Quarter damage

As you can see, it is an unreliable approach to dealing with seeking weapons. A shift of +1 only provides a 16% chance of suffering half damage (e.g. 6 from a Type-I missile). 83% of the time you'll still take full damage (ouch!). A shift of +2 is a bit better though harder to manage (especially vs plasma since they have 3 ECCM built-in) with sensor-derived ECM. A good trick is to toggle Erratics just before getting hit to get a quick burst of 4 ECM (and thus a +2 shift). Again, this only applies to single-player.  

TarMinyatur

« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2003, 07:33:07 pm »
Quote:

Thanks,

Dave  

Except the ESG of course.

ESG always does full damage since it seems to flash the ship first (negating the chart), then hits it.

The PPD might still do damage based upon the current target (which may not be the same as the initial PPD target...a nasty exploit which is easy to do in team matches).

David Ferrell

« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2003, 07:43:00 pm »
Too true.

Being ramming weapons, both the ESG and ESG Lance are unaffected.

PPD should be fine.

Thanks,

Dave
« Last Edit: July 21, 2003, 07:43:51 pm by David Ferrell »

Corbomite

« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2003, 08:12:33 pm »
Quote:

Too true.

PPD should be fine.

Thanks,

Dave  

What about Maulers?

David Ferrell

« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2003, 08:25:25 pm »
Maulers are reduced as they should be.

Thanks,

Dave  

Corbomite

« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2003, 08:27:58 pm »
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Corbomite »

Rod O'neal

« Reply #41 on: July 22, 2003, 12:07:28 am »
A mauler should require a lock on to fire. I don't have a problem with it being put in with other direct fire weapons though. I imagine if you tried to put in every little detail of every rule we'd never get a game to play. I'm enjoying the improvements a lot. Thanks again    

TarMinyatur

« Reply #42 on: July 22, 2003, 11:11:00 pm »
Quote:

Too true.

PPD should be fine.

Thanks,

Dave  

The PPD may have a problem. If a ship cloaks and is hit by PPD fire it will be destroyed and the game will CTD. This is recorded as a volley of 498 damage.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2003, 01:20:29 am by TarMinyatur »

Corbomite

« Reply #43 on: July 22, 2003, 11:17:10 pm »
I'll do with you Tar

Corbomite

« Reply #44 on: July 22, 2003, 11:51:42 pm »
Well I got it to do it in SP. I fired at range 4 when it was cloaked and the PPD connected. About 2 pulses in I CTD.

TarMinyatur

« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2003, 12:10:40 am »
Interesting, Corbomite. I'm on GSA now.

Pestalence

« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2003, 12:35:25 am »
Does everyone here have to number crunch or nitpick for bugs.. reporting them is one thing and the details are nice, however, David already poisted that this patch for OP is FINAL.. in other words, there will not be any more patch support client side for Orion Pirates, so bug hunting and such is pointless, unless it is to just announce them to the community...

as David Ferrell said, go play and have fun and stop nit picking the game to death.. it takes a lot of fun out of it for many of us, especially when the Developer of the game is not supporting the game any more...

I know many want OP to be the PC version of SFB, however many systems and functions have to be approximations of the SFB rules or just changed outright for balance sake.. maybe some look like bugs.... a CTD is a bug, but the Cloak was a slight oversight and has been redifigned by Taldren...

Read the OP Cover page 1 again in the Preamble of the manual... SFC : OP is "Based" on  SFB, not a direct copy of it....

just consider 1 thing before posting, This game is based on SFC and many things are approximations of the SFB rules, however, this game is Taldren's and the changes that they make is completely up to them.. if they want the Energizer Bunny drum across the screen in the middle of a battle because Taldren wants it there.. then so be it.. it is their game and their game engine and coding...

David said to get use to this patch version and play accordingly as the game is now Final version 2.5.4.10 and no future patches are coming out...

as for the damage table, it was an oversight, and David made a statement.. thus changing the way the Readme.txt reads.

just my $.02

Corbomite

« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2003, 01:40:36 am »
Quote:

The PPD may have a problem. If a ship cloaks and is hit by PPD fire it will be destroyed and the game will CTD. This is recorded as a volley of 498 damage.

The PPD must hit hull to do this while the ship is cloaked.

This is a real show stopper folks. We tested it numerous times. You might as well remove the ISC from the game if this is going to stay that way.

Cleaven

« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2003, 02:24:37 am »
Quote:

Does everyone here have to number crunch or nitpick for bugs.. reporting them is one thing and the details are nice, however, David already poisted that this patch for OP is FINAL.. in other words, there will not be any more patch support client side for Orion Pirates, so bug hunting and such is pointless, unless it is to just announce them to the community...

as David Ferrell said, go play and have fun and stop nit picking the game to death.. it takes a lot of fun out of it for many of us, especially when the Developer of the game is not supporting the game any more...

I know many want OP to be the PC version of SFB, however many systems and functions have to be approximations of the SFB rules or just changed outright for balance sake.. maybe some look like bugs.... a CTD is a bug, but the Cloak was a slight oversight and has been redifigned by Taldren...

Read the OP Cover page 1 again in the Preamble of the manual... SFC : OP is "Based" on  SFB, not a direct copy of it....

just consider 1 thing before posting, This game is based on SFC and many things are approximations of the SFB rules, however, this game is Taldren's and the changes that they make is completely up to them.. if they want the Energizer Bunny drum across the screen in the middle of a battle because Taldren wants it there.. then so be it.. it is their game and their game engine and coding...

David said to get use to this patch version and play accordingly as the game is now Final version 2.5.4.10 and no future patches are coming out...

as for the damage table, it was an oversight, and David made a statement.. thus changing the way the Readme.txt reads.

just my $.02  

I find it insulting to think that a quest for knowledge ie "Can you use the PPD against cloaked Rom without crashing?" is some sort of political or personal attack. And the thing that really bites is that this bug (in the truest "accidental" use of the term) is just another excuse by you to accuse people of being ultra orthodox SFB purests, which seems in your post to be right up there with burning the flag. That in my eyes, is just as intolerable as trying to suppress this sort of CTD information. You may not be able to change it or fix it but it is important to know it exists in the game engine. To specifically quote you " to get use to this patch version and play accordingly ".

Next thing you know somebody will be quoting the "SFC is not SFB" mantra as an excuse for criminal acts, along with the Twinkie Defence. Or better still, a good old fashioned book burning. Not acceptable! This is not Oz and The Emerald City isn't.    

Lepton1

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2003, 05:01:22 am »
I have a dumb question.  Did this whole PPD-cloak interaction with a CTD happen before this patch?  If so, why have I never heard of it and why was it not fixed?  If it is just happening with this patch, why is that so??  Is it a graphic error???  It is hard to believe that maybe because somewhere in there the code to deal with possible loss of lock for the PPD being faulty would cause a CTD.  It seems as if a number of CTDs have to do with graphics issues.  I would be interested in hearing people's thoughts on the issue.

EmeraldEdge

« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2003, 07:51:48 am »
Wow, just tried out the Cloak/PPD thing.  OUCH!  That's bad, once it hit hull, hello desktop.  

Mog

« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2003, 08:18:10 am »
Hang on a mo, shouldn't the PPD require a lock-on to be able to fire?

EmeraldEdge

« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2003, 08:22:08 am »
It's always been able to fire at a cloaked target, as far as I remember.  I seem to remember having some really one sided battles against the I-XCB, as it took it's 6 PPD and whittled away at me.  Cloak didn't do much to help either.  It was a long slow death, I couldn't catch up to him and no plasma would reach, so it was bye-bye Emerald.  Anyhow, this is a bad bug.  

TarMinyatur

« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2003, 08:48:59 am »
Quote:

I have a dumb question.  Did this whole PPD-cloak interaction with a CTD happen before this patch?

That is an excellent question. I know that the PPD does not do 500 damage against the hull of cloaked ships in EAW 2.036. I'm not certain what happens in OP 2.5.3.8.

Screen shot

The PPD also ignores the cloak chart. I've not seen a pulse do less than maximum yet.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2003, 10:33:32 am by TarMinyatur »

Corbomite

« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2003, 09:27:34 am »
Unless someone beats me to it, I'll reinstall 2538 this afternoon and find out. Since it is based on 2036, however, I doubt it will be there.

Quote:

All DF weapons can fire without a lock on, your chance of hitting is just very, very slim. I have managed to hit with the PPD on a cloaked ship before, just not very often. If it is done ala SFB (there's that term again!!!!    ), each pulse must role for it's own wave lock, i.e. the rest don't get free rides once one hits.

EmeraldEdge

« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2003, 09:39:55 am »
I do seem to remember the "final" EAW patch had a few showstoppers and they did another to fix them.  

Dogmatix!

« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2003, 11:00:13 am »
I really hope Dave decides to go ahead and at least take care of the PPD vs cloaked ship CTD issue.  That's going to really be a problem in light of the fact that given the new benefits to cloaking, more people will be using it.

A lot of us have been doing a lot of work singing the praises of OP and buying community members free copies to drum up support for and interest in the game.  On top of that, the many, many very nice fixes that Dave implemented would seem to be almost for naught if we have a show-stopper bug like this one to contend with.

I could probably learn to live with the PPD DAC issue, but the PPD CTD bug is gonna be tough.

Crosses fingers....

jimmi7769

« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2003, 11:03:31 am »
Quote:

I do seem to remember the "final" EAW patch had a few showstoppers and they did another to fix them.  

How many final KISS tours have their been???

David Ferrell

« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2003, 11:38:43 am »
The only thing that could bring me out of retirement is a CTD, and unfortunately
you have found one.

Thanks,

Dave  

jimmi7769

« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2003, 11:47:38 am »
Quote:

The only thing that could bring me out of retirement is a CTD, and unfortunately
you have found one.

Thanks,

Dave  

Come on,  Just one more Tour..........what could it hurt.............

EmeraldEdge

« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2003, 11:49:31 am »
Quote:

you have found one.

Thanks,

Dave  

THANKS!  

Dogmatix!

« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2003, 12:28:31 pm »
Quote:

you have found one.

Thanks,

Dave  

Thanks, Dave.  That's very good to know.  

Ah, the life of an aging Rock Star!    

jimmi7769

« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2003, 12:30:29 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

you have found one.

Thanks,

Dave  

It's tough haveing to Rock and Roll all night and Party Every Day.

SPQR Renegade001

« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2003, 12:52:50 pm »
Quote:

you have found one.
Thanks,
Dave  

Do I detect a note of sarcasm in that "Thanks"?

Thank you Dave. Cloak and PPD performing out of spec... No biggie. We'll update our charts and more forward. A reproducable CTD bug would kill the Great Green Hope.

You can expect some thank you notes over this.  

Pestalence

« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2003, 01:15:11 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

just my $.02  

I find it insulting to think that a quest for knowledge ie "Can you use the PPD against cloaked Rom without crashing?" is some sort of political or personal attack. And the thing that really bites is that this bug (in the truest "accidental" use of the term) is just another excuse by you to accuse people of being ultra orthodox SFB purests, which seems in your post to be right up there with burning the flag. That in my eyes, is just as intolerable as trying to suppress this sort of CTD information. You may not be able to change it or fix it but it is important to know it exists in the game engine. To specifically quote you " to get use to this patch version and play accordingly ".

Next thing you know somebody will be quoting the "SFC is not SFB" mantra as an excuse for criminal acts, along with the Twinkie Defence. Or better still, a good old fashioned book burning. Not acceptable! This is not Oz and The Emerald City isn't.    

I was not insulting anyone.. if you take it as such, then so be it.. I was just merely stating sometihing called..

FACTS

Fact was that at the time, David had announced that support for OP was ended.. no further patches...

Bugs in how the game performs, such as CTD or ships not appearing should be reported so the such items may get a hotfix when Taldren gets time...

Bugs for how weapons operate (when compared to SFB) are not bugs, but most probably game design for balance sake....

as for the damage mitigation on cloak, that was a mistake and David owned up to it and stated for everyone to consider it 67% full damage and 33% half... thus people need to edit their read-me files accordingly...

however it is the number crunching that people do, that makes testers like myself feel unappreciative... not even 5 hours after the patch is released is there a bug posting and flames against the Testers and Taldren...

We, the testers that is, tested 10 builds of SFC OP before this patch was released... we overlooked a couple of things because in a previous patch version, it was working correctly, and as such (speaking for myself) I took it for granted that it was still working and did not test to check numbers...

the point of a PC game or any game is to have fun... not analize it to death.. unless you have fun analizing... many of us just like going into a game and playing to have FUN, not to see if 87% of my photons hit at range 8 on normal load... I go into game to blow something up or to see if i can survive against superior odds...

I am not against SFB purists.. however, it is in the liscense agreement and the Game Manual that SFC is not SFB but is "Based" closely on the SFB Doomsday Ruleset... and it also goes on to state that some things may be changed from SFB standard to promote fair play, balance, etc...

you clicked Agree an the liscense agreement, thus accepting SFC for SFC and not SFB... thus it completely invalidates any SFB Purist claims...

as for me, yes i do want SFC II OP to be as close to SFB as possible because i enjoy the game play..

however when the developer states that support is ended (unless CTD or other major occurance) then it is time to put the penicls down and enjoy the fruits of the labor... IE, such as this cloak issue... the topic heading itself in insulting to Taldren... it could have been titled

Patch 2.5.4.10 has bug in Cloak...

instead of announcing "New cloak not working as advertised "

first off, it is not a new cloak.. it is the cloaking system that has been revised to be more effective in OP

second, Taldren did not Advertise the cloak, all they did was post links for Download and a bug fix list and some game adjustments... I didn't see a web ad stating the capabilities of the SFC OP cloak system...

is it a bug, yes, is it bad enough to prevent game play.. No

another bug is that a Cloaked ship can benifit from ECM... I didn't see a post on this until the middle of the topic thread... does it prevent a fun game play enviroment? No...

but the ECM vs Damage on a cloaked ship are bugs that sort of cancel each other out... thus not a big deal.. maybe lists as a 3 or 4 on a 10 point severity scale...

now the PPD on a cloaked ship causing CTD, that is a showstopper and can prevent game play and is now being looked into by Taldren...

people the game is what it is.. a game, and once the CTD is fixed, then it is a Finished Game... if David looks into the Cloak Damage Bug and looks into the ECM by Cloaked ship bug, then that is up to him... if not, then so be it, I am happy either way and am not losing any sleep over it...

for a pure SFB online game.. www.sfbonline.com will allow people to play .. but as far as OP, taldren tried to get it as close to SFB as possible without going overboard.. they kept it fun. weapons and systems got adjustments, and as such... may be approximations of the SFB rule, or just flat out changed all together.. thus reinforcing again what the game manual states... SFC is not SFB but is "Based" on SFB and changes witll be done if needed.. (read as either to SFB standard or away from SFB standard, whichever makes the game more fun)...

I advocate on several web sites that SFC is based on SFB.. I never claimed SFC was SFB on PC nor have I said I wanted SFC to be SFB on PC... but I do think that SFC should stick as close to SFB as possible, so long as it does not lose the games fun factor... I want to enjoy my game, not tear it apart...
as for the model Size cheat, i found that and reported it.. and thus khoromag Gaming Services created the Model.siz file to reneder models correctly in game... the Plasma Snare Bug on the Gorn Plasma Snare.. i reported that as well and it got fixed... I reported some things i found wrong server side that were not working as intended... basically the things that make the game unplayable...

Firesoul is the one who is attempting to keep the game as close to SFB as possible and has done and excellent job of doing so... he posted quite a few bugs in the Testers Forum following the 2538 patch... most of the listing in the Readme.txt file were things Firesoul found as far as SFB or actual game bugs.... even Firesoul's Shipname.txt file was used in the last patch....

do i complain, no.. why, because it kept the game close to SFB as possible (which i agree with) yet also kept the fun factor (which i agree with changes from SFB or to SFB whichever is more fun when playing)...

the issue came from a ship system that was doing 33% full damage, 33% half damage, and 33% quarter damage in a previous build between 2538 and 25410.. and as such, it simply got overlooked.... not the end of the world, and certainly the changes were not advertised... the only thing ever stated was that the Cloak was improved.. the Readme contained inaccurate information... however it was not advertised in the least...

am i a SFB Purist.. No, but i do support using SFB as a basis for SFC and that SFC should approximate SFB as much as possible, but not as a mirror image, there has to be a fun factor and game balance somewhere... so if changing a SFB weapon damage table, or adjusting a ruleset for applying damage is needed, then so be it..

so don't get me wrong.... all i was doing was replying to a thread 3 pages long what was still arguing about the cloak issue even after David stated that support for OP was ended barring any critical game play problems.. which a CTD is critical game play problem... any other fixes that David is willing to incorporate into OP is purely a blessing.. but as it stands, the game is what it is, so go and have fun and enjoy until the PPD CTD is fixed....

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Pestalence »

Sethan

« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2003, 01:56:01 pm »
Quote:

you have found one.

Thanks,

Dave  

David - thank you.

I never cease to be impressed at Taldren's commitment to doing the right thing.

...especially given how sick you guys have to be of looking at OP code by this time.

Ifrit

« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2003, 02:30:55 pm »
Dave, any chance we could add a setting for anistropic mipmap filtering, if the patch is going to be patched?  That could really improve the appearance of the lightmaps, and it probably requires only one line of code.  It might even improve the appearance of, er, cloaked ships?

I had to at least try to keep this on topic... seriously, though, mipmap filtering makes a big difference when rendering light maps.  

FireSoul

« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2003, 02:54:03 pm »
Quote:

Firesoul is the one who is attempting to keep the game as close to SFB as possible and has done and excellent job of doing so... he posted quite a few bugs in the Testers Forum following the 2538 patch... most of the listing in the Readme.txt file were things Firesoul found as far as SFB or actual game bugs.... even Firesoul's Shipname.txt file was used in the last patch....

Not quite.. sorry man, but with your thanks, I have to straighten it out a bit:

1- I do it in Taldren's style, but as close to SFB as I can.
2- it's a shipnames.txt and strings.txt made just for this patch, extracted from with I've already done before for my own project. It was easy: I just had to write another perl script to so it.

... and 3..
.. yes, the majority were things that I had found.. but a lot were reported to me FROM here, the general forums. Often, I merely copy-pasted private messages. It's because of everyone here that I did this. (I'm soo glad you noticed tho, Pestalence.   )

TarMinyatur

« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2003, 03:27:27 pm »
Pestalence wrote:
Quote:

...however it is the number crunching that people do, that makes testers like myself feel unappreciative... not even 5 hours after the patch is released is there a bug posting and flames against the Testers and Taldren...

This is clearly directed at me. If I were still part of the testing circle I would have found these bugs. It wouldn't have been the first time that I found bugs that nobody else did for whatever reasons. A few bugs were missed. Big deal. Nobody thinks you are at fault and should be held responsible.

Anyways, I don't see any anti-Taldren or anti-tester posts in this thread (other than mine???). I think the general public appreciates the work that Taldren and the unpaid beta testers do and have done for years.

I think the SFC vs SFB argument is pointless.  Does the game work as the manual and the readme describe? That's all that probably matters in Taldren's eyes now. Of course, we will all have our preferences on the details and should feel free to express them!

Taldren has used the SFC community's insight and experience as a valuable resource to improve their (I like to say "our") game. I'm very impressed at how bold,  thoughtful, and dedicated Taldren has been in the evolution of the game.

Dogmatix!

« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2003, 03:36:31 pm »
I agree with just about everything you say, Pestalence.  I just don't agree with your chracterization of posts regarding the cloak damage table and PPD-related CTD problem.  If people were doing as you say, then you would be absolutely right to call them on it.  However, I guess I've just missed all these personal attacks you're talking about.  Perhaps they have occured in the past, but I don't see them happening now.  I believe that the majority of respondants are of Cleaven's (and my)  mind...that of just figuring out the nature of the problem and, in the case of a show stopper, requesting it be fixed.

The phrase "Cloak not working as advertised" need not mean anything more than "it doesn't work the way it says it does in the readme.txt file."  If you read something more into it than that, then you do so of your own volition and not necessarily in accordance with the intent of the author.  Righteous indignation seems neither warranted or helpful in this case.  In fact, it only serves it elicit posts of Cleaven's, your response and then this post's nature.  None of which do anything to shed any further light or solve and problems at hand.  

If somone wishes to refer to the augmented cloak as "the new cloak," it may be imprecise, but there's really nothing wrong with doing so since we all know what is being discussed.  

I personally and monetarily thanked Dave Ferrell for this patch.  I believe I thanked the testers on a couple of occasions, too.  In an unofficial capacity I helped test the various patch builds as a rank-and-file player.  I'm very thankful for the patch and the work done on it.  If anyone had let me be a beta testor, I would have loved to have done the job, regardless of what comments by the consumers came my way.

As I said before...thanks VERY MUCH to Dave Ferrell for agreeing to work on fixing the CTD issue.  That's the only thing I was looking for in this entire discussion.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Dogmatix! »

FireSoul

« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2003, 03:38:31 pm »
Continuing the argument is pointless. You did your part, Tar. Do continue and report any problems, but ..
.. do not add fuel to the flame by adding opinion with your posts. Stuff like "why was this missed" and "I would have caught it". are NOT wanted/appreciated.

-- Luc

TarMinyatur

« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2003, 03:55:26 pm »
You're right, FS. I should stick to the facts. Ego battles are fruitless.

I'm off to document a Plasma/Admin CTD bug now.

FireSoul

« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2003, 04:06:50 pm »
Plasma/Admin CTD? If this is for real, I suggest a new thread.

Toasty0

« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2003, 04:16:39 pm »
Quote:

If I were still part of the testing circle I would have found these bugs. It wouldn't have been the first time that I found bugs that nobody else did for whatever reasons.

Did I miss something? Didn't you resign?

PM me or email me if you think your answer might open a can of worms.

Best,
Jerry  

Corbomite

« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2003, 04:53:40 pm »
Quote:

you have found one.

Thanks,

Dave  

Sorry Dave , but thank you!

Has anyone tested other weapons to see if this happens? I'd hate to have Dave go through all this again and find another cloak CTD issue.

Cleaven

« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2003, 05:03:32 pm »
Pestalence, you were telling people to suppress FACTS.

I'm not at all keen on some of the potential inuendo that goes with some of the facts but they are facts none the less. You may NOT insist that people suppress these facts. And especially when those facts are required " to get use to this patch version and play accordingly". I don't care if you want to ignore the info but I want to know as much as I can about how the game works, and I am insulted when somebody comes and says thou shalt not explore the game in one sentance, and "just enjoy the game" in the next, as if I am some mindless drone who has to be told when he is having fun and when to have some soma.  You may not intend the insult but you did anyway.  

And nothing you may say, insulting or otherwise abusive of facts, will make me less grateful for the game I have.    

Jwest

« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2003, 05:07:32 pm »
Well, having played a cloaking warbird for two day now, I has definitively say that phasers, disruptors, photons, and plasma on bare hull while cloaked don't crash to desktop. I'm pretty sure they do too much damage, but I can't blame that on the program team unfortunately - <G>  

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2003, 05:20:30 pm »
It would appear that pointing out to Taldren that a CTD exists, even AFTER they have stated that this is the FINAL patch IS an effective and worthwhile undertaking. So suggesting that it is pointless was a rather poorly thought out statement.

Also, suggesting that someone posting about a bug so closely on the heels of the release of the patch is baffling. Would waiting longer make it more likely that Dave would want to undertake more patching of the FINAL patch?

This was the final of the SFB "BASED" titles (approx 99.99% based on SFB) and as such the  cries of "SFB Purists" should have died out long ago IMHO. As this is the last attempt to actually make the game work as "Advertised" in the game manual, it would seem that those who wish for changes to be made bear the brunt of the load of requesting those changes on their own shoulders.

Certainly those who are NOT "SFB Purists" and are more Trek/TNG fans are not going to be as dedicated in their requests to Taldren to leave OP as close to both SFB and Taldrens own specifications as stated in the manual as possible.

These flame wars should be relagated to things of memory, as the SFC series is in a coma and the only thing that may keep the plug from being pulled is Activisions silly actions concering the rights to Trek and the lawsuit they have filed pertaining to those very rights.  

Eric has flatly stated that if there ever is another SFC title, it will most likely be years down the road, and likely never.

Now we have a TNG version as well as an approximately 50% finished TOS/SFB version, and we as a community of gamers should realize that with no new titles coming out that our numbers are already rapidly decreasing and pointless attacks on one group or another simply work to further weaken the already waning numbers of available gamers.

Just my opinion, feel free to agree with me or flame me. I personally am viewing the Acti vs Viacom lawsuit as the only possible hope for more SFC games, either by Taldren or possibly another entity.

Perhaps with the total decline of all things Trek that has come about since TNG was most stupidly discontinued Viacom/Paramount will move Trek off the cash-cow list and greatly reduce the restrictions they place on who can do what with the intellectual properties that are Trek.

Im looking forward to seeing a game on the shelf at CompUSA that has the intials SFB and SVC right next to each other on the box, directly under a picture of the NCC 1701 Enterprise.  

(Sounds good, eh Hyper?  )

HAND!

Corbomite

« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2003, 05:20:37 pm »
Quote:

Well, having played a cloaking warbird for two day now, I has definitively say that phasers, disruptors, photons, and plasma on bare hull while cloaked don't crash to desktop. I'm pretty sure they do too much damage, but I can't blame that on the program team unfortunately - <G>    

Well if things are working right you should never have plasma (or drones) on bare hull while cloaked unless someone flashes and grabs you. All the others I thank you for, however.

Sethan

« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2003, 05:22:58 pm »
One caution - not to put words in Taldren's mouth - but people shouldn't get their hopes up about any non-CTD bugs getting fixed at this point.

Identify and report them if possible, but don't be upset if non-CTD bugs remain after the next final patch.

We are already way past the point where Taldren stopped getting paid for the work they are doing on OP.

David Ferrell

« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2003, 05:23:03 pm »
Feel free to point out any CTDs that you find and how to reproduce them.

I have already fixed the PPD one (it has unique circumstances that made
*this* crash unique to the PPD).

Since I introduced it, I sure as heck better fix it.

Thanks,

Dave  

Corbomite

« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2003, 05:25:18 pm »
Now that's service for you!!  

FireSoul

« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2003, 05:26:05 pm »
Quote:

I agree.

Corbomite

« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2003, 05:39:06 pm »
Ok I just tried Fusions and Hellbores. They work fine. With what Jwest said I think that covers everything. I will try ESG and ESG lance just to be sure though.

Tumulorum Fossor

« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2003, 06:05:30 pm »

Quote:

They gave her back to me.

-William Shatner as Captain Kirk, Star Trek TMP

Quote:

I don't believe in the no-win scenario.

-William Shatner as Captain Kirk, Star Trek II

Quote:

Ever think of retiring?

-Kirk  
Quote:

Not planning on it.

-Picard, Star Trek Generations

Quote:

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge, off that ship. Because as long as you're there, you can make a difference.

-Kirk, Star Trek Generations

Quote:

I'll be back.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger, Terminator  et al

Quote:

Shane! Shane! Come back!

-Little Girl, Shane

Quote:

Dave, stop. Stop, will you? Stop, Dave. Will you stop, Dave? Stop, Dave. I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it.

-HAL9000, 2001 A Space Odyssey

Quote:

Houston - we have a problem.

-Tom Hanks, Apollo 13

Quote:

Damn the torpedoes. Full speed ahead.

-Admiral David Farragut, Battle of Mobile Bay, Aug 5, 1864

Quote:

It's a far, far better thing I do than I have ever done.

-A Tale Of Two Cities, Charles Dickens

Quote:

You think I'm licked. You all think I'm licked! Well I'm not licked. And I'm going to stay right here and fight for this lost cause even if this room gets filled with lies like these; and the Taylors and all their armies come marching into this place. Somebody will listen to me.

- Jimmy Stewart as Sen Jefferson Smith, Mr. Smith Goes To Washington

Quote:

Feed me! Feed me, Seymour!

-Audrey II, Little Shop Of Horrors

Quote:

[Robin Hood, do you feel you are overtaxed?]

-Prince to Robin Hood

Quote:

Overtaxed, overworked and paid off with a knife, a club or a rope.  

-Robin Hood to the Prince and Sheriff

Quote:

Why, you speak treason!

-Maid Marian

Quote:

Fluently.

-Robin Hood, played by Errol Flynn, the Adventures of Robin Hood, 1948

Quote:

There are two kinds of [SFC fans]: high maintenance and low maintenance...

-Billy Crystal

Quote:

Which one am I?

-Meg Ryan

Quote:

You're the worst kind. You're high maintenance, but you think you're low maintenance.

-Billy Crystal, When Harry Met Sally

Quote:

We're putting the band back together. We need you man. We need your horn.

-John Belushi, as Joliet Jake to Mr. Fab, The Blues Brothers

Quote:

Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in.

- Al Pacino as Michael Corleone, Godfather III

Great to have you back at it, Dave!

I promise: another patch and another donation of gratitude, recognizing that it is NOT solicited by you, NOT required, NOT requested, NOT anything.  Just a sign of gratitude.

Take your time. And consider removing EW from cloak, implementing the 33% full/half/no damage calculation, true range instead of effective range during damage calculation, Mip mapping, potato-peeling, window-washing, foot-massaging, and Set-It-And-Forget-It functioning.

A sincere thank you!

And did you get a chance to the Kingdom Come Action Figures at Comic Con?

-TF

Jwest

« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2003, 06:08:03 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Well if things are working right you should never have plasma (or drones) on bare hull while cloaked unless someone flashes and grabs you. All the others I thank you for, however.  

Or if perchance, new sensor data meant one suddenly realized the Pseudo-torp they were ignoring was actually a functional enveloping R-Torp, at not quite the last second.

Fortunately I would never let myself get bluffed that way.

Thank god for that. <Looks around sheepishly>  

Corbomite

« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2003, 06:14:02 pm »
I just tried all the DF weapons, including X weapons and the ESG. They work fine. I guess the PPD is the only culprit, thankfully.

Jim

« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2003, 07:27:51 pm »
Quote:

Thanks,

Dave    

Dave... thanks!   Add another reason to the hundreds we owe you thanks for!  If I ever win the lottery, I'm sending you some of it!

Jim

Mr. Hypergol

« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2003, 08:22:56 pm »

Quote:

Im looking forward to seeing a game on the shelf at CompUSA that has the intials SFB and SVC right next to each other on the box, directly under a picture of the NCC 1701 Enterprise.

Amen brother!!!!!................some day.  Until then, I'll play the hell out of SFC OP......thanks to Dave Ferrell and people like Firesoul.  

Dogmatix!

« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2003, 10:33:25 am »
Quote:

Thanks,

Dave    

Thank ya kindly, Dave.

To me, you programmers work mysterious magic.  I couldn't program my way out of a paper bag...heheh.

Just out of curiosity (don't really care one way or the other), but since you had to wade back into the water just as you were finally getting dried off...are you going to leave the cloaked ship damage table as is or is that a quickie fix that you're willing to do?  Either way, if this PPD bug is squashed, this patch rocks...

Capt Jeff

« Reply #90 on: July 25, 2003, 12:31:32 pm »
This PPD problem doesn't apply just to firing on cloaked ships.  Blow up any ship or even a drone with PPD and you crash.,

TarMinyatur

New cloak not working as advertised
« Reply #91 on: July 18, 2003, 09:03:07 pm »
I have yet to observe a single Overloaded Photon do 4 points of damage. According to the published chart, 33% should do 16, 33% do 8, and 33% do 4. So far, approximately 2/3rds do 16 and 1/3 do 8 over about 100 shots.

Is the random number generator improperly set up? It may be giving a 0, 1, 2 when the intended results are 1, 2, 3, thereby shifting the cloak chart to a woeful:

IntRnd(3)
returns 0,1,2

0: Full damage (?)
1: Full damage
2: Half damage
3: Quarter damage (Can't occur)

IntRnd(3) + 1 would solve the problem if this is the case

Can anyone else confirm this?

Note that this is single-player. Are there two versions of the cloak chart? This would seem to be unlikely but it is possible. I'll get online and test multi.

I had some help from Centuri Vaughn and Sabercut on GSA. There is a bug here. Not a single OV Photon did less than 8 and a super majority of them did 16.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2003, 09:51:48 pm by TarMinyatur »

Tulmahk

« Reply #92 on: July 19, 2003, 04:35:06 am »

And the SFB rules DO allow for invisible cloak.  It merely requires a referee to moderate it.  In the computerized version of SFB, the computer acts automatically as that referee, so there is no need whatsoever for the Shade-and-DieŽ.  One of the worst game design decisions, ever.

Cleaven

« Reply #93 on: July 19, 2003, 04:53:26 am »
My guess is that it was a short-cut taken due to other pressures, as opposed to a deliberate design decision made in the initial planning. It has just taken a long time to put it right (almost).  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Cleaven »

SPQR Renegade001

« Reply #94 on: July 19, 2003, 09:48:40 am »
Quote:

I have yet to play the new patch vs another human, but vs the AI cloak is now a very usfull tool. Using old style cloak tactics in a WE and then in a Sph-A, I made short work of an admiral level AI F-CC+. Neither ship took internals. Later vs an F-NEC, I was happy to see that the good old "duck and clear" works just fine for ditching those pesky drones.

I don't know how hard it'll be for a human player to void cloak, but Shade-and-DieŽ is dead. The Romulans who've fought for so long in broken Gorn ships and learned to compete with them, will now be all the more lethal for the experience.

Let the Federation fear the sound of our silence.  

I was surprised to learn that of all people, TarMinyatur was not on the testing team. Wether RL constraints, judgement call, or just oversight, the meticulous manner he applies to testing would have been an asset.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2003, 10:17:02 am by SPQR Renegade001 »

NannerSlug

« Reply #95 on: July 19, 2003, 11:26:14 am »

FireSoul

« Reply #96 on: July 19, 2003, 11:55:04 am »
You see..
.. David didn't enhance the cloak because he had to. He did it because we asked him if he could. Same goes for fighters being recalled by AI Carriers, AI pirates using engine doubling, and AI using ECM/ECCM. It's all been in good faith.

Tar: just play it, and use the ECM effect which isn't supposed to be there by SFB rules to compensate.

Lepton1

« Reply #97 on: July 19, 2003, 12:04:40 pm »
Tar isn't complaining.   He's pointing out an accident in what was clearly Dave's intention to use the cloak damage chart that is quoted in Dave's own posts.  Clearly if something went wrong, we should at least be aware of it, if not ask that it be changed since this was Dave's intention in the first place.

As for the cloak only being "like-SFB", that has more to do I think if you check Dave's and other posts with the loss of lock for seeking weapons.  This is SFB emulated portion.  But the cloak damage chart is the cloak damage chart and I firmly believe that is what Dave and everoyne else wants.

This is from Dave's own post:

Cloak changes:
1) Decreased flash time by about 1/4.
2) Seeking weapons now are removed if firing ship looses lock.
3) Being tractored will no longer prevent cloak from being brought on-line.
4) If a ship being tractored cloaks, the ship holding the cloaker will maintain lock.
5) Weapons damage is reduced according to the following chart:
33.3% chance weapon does normal damage.
33.3% chance weapon does 1/2 damage.
33.3% chance weapon does 1/4 damage.

If it isn't doing 1/4 damage, then that's a problem.

I'd be interested to know if any weapons are suffering 1/4 damage.  Perhaps there is some photon bonus that is effecting the cloak DAC.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Lepton1 »

Lepton1

« Reply #98 on: July 19, 2003, 09:51:08 pm »
I am surprised there has been no official response. 100 trials says it all I think.  If it doesn't work the way intended then it should be stated so or fixed.

3dot14

« Reply #99 on: July 19, 2003, 09:57:07 pm »
Is this such a big deal?

Consider the cloak has gotten a few bonus from its SFB cousin, it's not surprising it loses a few. Personally, I am inclined to simply alter the readme.txt to match the current situation.

Now I know I prefer this cloak to SFC3's hidden cloak (both as seeker or hider) and this OP cloak is far from shade and die. but I am curious, Tulmahk, how Exactly does the SFB's referring system work?

Scipio_66

« Reply #100 on: July 19, 2003, 10:19:52 pm »
Yeah, yeah, maybe it doesn't work exactly as Mr. Ferrel intended.  But you know what?  It works so much better than it used to, and so much closer to SFB standard rules than it used to, that I'm not currently inclined to gripe about it.

I'm having so much fun watching a real cloak at work that I can't be bothered.  Now if Dave feels irked that it isn't quite what he intended and decides to make it match what he announced, that's all well and good.  I'll be glad.  But I'm not going to let this glitch annoy me right now.  I'm one happy Gorn...... errr I mean Rom..... errrrr I mean player.

Now I've got to go master the art of engaging these dastardly improved Roms.  (Yeah, yeah, little pointy-eared freak.  Cloak and ditch my plasma.  Let me get a little closer...... just a little closer....... <evil laughter> )

Thanks, Dave!    Very nice work indeed.

======

3dot 14:

In SFB, there were advanced optional rules that let you use hidden cloak if you and your opponent wanted to experiment with it.  It required a very honest opponent, or a moderator.  As I recall (been years since I used hidden cloak):

1) The cloaked ship was removed from the board, and it's location was kept track of secretly
2) 4 times a turn the enemy could ask for range and bearing
3) The enemy could fire whenever it wanted, but damage was kept secret.
4) The cloaked ship recieved a MASSIVE boost in BPV.
5) Everybody except the Rom got very, very bored.

Yeah, I was usually the Rom.  People (including me) have much more fun now that I use standard rules.  That doesn't mean it wasn't fun for specific scenarios, it was, but for general use I find (IMHO) that standard rules are more fun for everyone.  As with all opinions, your mileage may vary.

-S'Cipio
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Scipio_66 »

Lepton1

« Reply #101 on: July 19, 2003, 10:32:55 pm »
No one is griping. We are merely making statement of facts and my own limited testing w/ regular photon torps seems to confirm his results. And I am just going to say it.  Here goes. Prepare to flame me.  Why didn't the beta testers catch this???  Seems logical to test something like this.  If Tar et al.  can do it in a couple of hours I assume or even a few hours, why not the beta testers??  Look I love this new patch, so don't get me wrong.  I am very excited about it and it is truely fantastic that the support has continued so long for this game.  Kudos and thanks to Dave and the beta testers, but this should have been easily caught either in the code during testing or in the announcement to characterize correctly how the cloak is working.  That simple.

Cleaven

« Reply #102 on: July 19, 2003, 10:38:41 pm »
Quite right, I'm happy as it is, but I do like to know what the numbers are. If it's a mistake then that's cool (mistakes? in programming? never!) but it would be nice to know.  

TarMinyatur

« Reply #103 on: July 19, 2003, 11:42:38 pm »
Quote:

Is this such a big deal?

...Personally, I am inclined to simply alter the readme.txt to match the current situation.

Agreed.

If the readme said that Deep Scan improved photon hit% by 33% wouldn't one expect to see that in the game?

I just want accurate documentation. Taldren can design their game as they wish. I only ask that they don't give us misinformation.  

TarMinyatur

« Reply #104 on: July 19, 2003, 11:50:13 pm »
Quote:

Nanner, am I supposed to assume that the readme is false? If I see a cloak chart in text, I expect to see it mechanically...sheesh.  

FireSoul

« Reply #105 on: July 20, 2003, 01:31:17 am »
Considering that the patch was released on Thursday, and this post was done at 7:30pm PST on a Friday night.. it's not surprising that nothing has happened yet.

I think the best thing to do is to wait for a bit through next week. If they want to fix it, they can... and it's all up to them.
-- Luc

Rod O'neal

« Reply #106 on: July 20, 2003, 08:33:01 am »
I'm a bit taken back by some of the negative comments directed at Tar here. All he did was find a bug and report it.  

Toasty0

« Reply #107 on: July 20, 2003, 08:58:37 am »
Nanner,

Always with the negative waves Moriarty! Always with the negative waves.

Woof Woof!!

Best,
Jerry  

David Ferrell

« Reply #108 on: July 20, 2003, 11:14:31 am »
It is a little sad that this (apparently) happend, but it's not a
big deal. The cloak is still much better than before. In fact FireSoul had a
valid opinion that having this reduction along with the ECM bonus was
too much.

This (if true) was a mistake made by me. It is not the end of the world
or even the end of SFC. If someone is always a glass half-empty guy
about this, that is their problem.

Why no response till now?  This was first posted Friday night, I still
haven't had a chance to check it yet and yesterday I spent a wonderful
day with my daughter at Comic Con in San Diego (thank you for asking).

Thanks,

Dave

« Last Edit: July 20, 2003, 12:37:41 pm by David Ferrell »

David Ferrell

« Reply #109 on: July 20, 2003, 11:40:31 am »
I didn't see Jinxx.  Comic Con is HUGE!  Probably the biggest Con
I have ever been to (maybe World Con in the 1980's?).  There were
probably tens of thousands of people there.

My daughter got pictures with Maurice LaMarche (voice of the Brain),
Rob Paulson (voice of Pinky) and John DiMaggio (voice of Bender).  A
very cool day!

Thanks,

Dave  

Strafer

« Reply #110 on: July 20, 2003, 12:18:09 pm »
Quote:

... In fact Strafer had a
valid opinion ...    

*snicker* this is the second time you mistake FireSoul and myself.

David Ferrell

« Reply #111 on: July 20, 2003, 12:35:58 pm »
Sh... I mean shoot.  Your right of course.  FireSoul had a valid opinion,
Strafer *never* has a valid opinion.

Thanks,

Dave  

FireSoul

« Reply #112 on: July 20, 2003, 12:52:29 pm »
ROFL!  

Sethan

« Reply #113 on: July 20, 2003, 01:27:09 pm »
- Cloak was changed - this is good, as cloak was rarely useful before.

- Change was toward SFB - this is a good start, as SFB was fairly balanced where many things are concerned.

- Change didn't go as far as intended - this may be good, as one of the cloak features of old (ECM effects) might have made cloak too powerful if the change had gone all the way (it may be too powerful even now, haven't had the chance to test it yet - all my free playing time is going to LB4).

Overall - a good thing.  The bug needed to be pointed out, and it was.  I look forward to trying out the new cloak.

Tumulorum Fossor

« Reply #114 on: July 20, 2003, 09:57:22 pm »
Echoing Sethan.  'Bug' needed to be reported.  Good thing that it is.

Does 'bug' NEED to be 'fixed'?  I dunno.  Good reason to expect NOT.  If it's an easy fix, I'd welcome it, but current SFC cloak is SO MUCH BETTER that I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.  And I'm so thrilled over the support from Dave Ferrell (whom I hope is enjoying Comic Con... How do those Kingdom Come action figures look?) and the testers for this patch in the FIRST PLACE that I tread VERY carefully in this area because I do not want us, as a community, to come off as ingrates and not appreciative of just how remarkable the latest patch is.

If this is the worst thing about this patch, consider us all lucky.

And I do agree that no one should get their head torn off for simply REPORTING the existence of the cloaking "alternative method of damage calculation" (I hesitate at this point to continue calling it a 'bug').  That's a legitimate topic and effects game tactics.  Indeed, if no 'fix' arrives, I would be happy simply knowing exactly WHAT the probabilities are of damage with the cloak on, just for the sake of tactics.

I'd just urge all my fellow SFC OPer's to, when reporting bugs after this latest patch, and there will ALWAYS be more bugs, to be extremely diplomatic about it as it is remarkable that we have a game that is old, has a rabid fan base, AND devoted developers.  Let's not screw up whatever amazing cosmic karmic resonance that was needed for this to occur.

Anyhow, based on TarMinyatar's evaluation, are we reasonably sure that what is happening is 67% full damage, 33% half damage?

-TF

FireSoul

« Reply #115 on: July 20, 2003, 10:22:10 pm »
Yes, but Tar also mentioned that the weapons are doing effective range damage, not true range damage (I didn't realize that either during testing). Also, ECM can be used at the same time as the protection (which isn't supposed to happen).

.. wow.. bugs that cancel each other out.

TarMinyatur

« Reply #116 on: July 20, 2003, 11:01:40 pm »
This bug is a big deal if your opponent tends to have an abundance of  Phaser-1's and Photons. These two weapons benefit the most from this weak cloak chart. On the other hand, Disruptors and Hellbores are already penalized for attenuated damage. Adding the documented cloak chart to them would clearly be unfair. You could do 1 point of damage with an overloaded Dizzy or 4 points with an overloaded Hellbore. That's pathetic. Cripes, you do more damage to yourself in feedback!

Speaking hypothetically here...can the true range be used to calculate the initial damage for Disruptors and Hellbores against cloaked ships (i.e. the SFB method)? It would seem to solve the double-whammy that would occur with implementing the documented cloak chart. Since feedback already works on true range in SFC, one would think the code could use true range with a IsTargetCloaked() check when calculating damage after using the effective range for determining hit%.

Anyways, the Ph-1 is what really kills cloaked ships in SFC. It is still 83% as effective as it was. This is where an R*2 + 6 tweak would come in handy.

Regardless, thanks for looking into the cloak. It will be used more often which I think everyone will agree is a good thing.

-

Edited for an inaccurate claim.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2003, 11:11:19 pm by TarMinyatur »

SPQR Drall

« Reply #117 on: July 21, 2003, 11:17:44 am »
First off,

Thanks for the effort from everyone involved.  Taldren did not have to do this.  Kudos!

For the bug, reporting it is ok.  The bug is not the end of the world.  As a Rom I'll take what I can

Now, there is one question that I've been trying to figure out since the specs of the patch came out.  I never posted it not too sound ungrateful, but then again, I'd like to understand it at some point.

The decision I don't understand is to shorten the flash cube time.  I have been playing Rom a long time and I am a PvP kinda guy.  The reason I never use the cloak in PvP is the flash cube.  Reducing the time of the flash cube doesn't help in any way since the tractor starts instantly.  So, I will be able to use the cloak at a distance to shake out drones, but against players I still have the same Achiles heel.  For the last 2 years I always thought, "damn, it they take away the flash cube, then I can use the cloak in PvP.  I think I still can't.

Did I miss anything?  Am I wrong?

I will go test this on GSA with fellow Roms, but I am pretty sure that a guy dropping speed because he engages the cloak that can still be flashcubed will not live long and prosper.

I am really curious to understand the rationale here.  Do not get me wrong, I appreciate the added benefits, but I was ok against AI already but I did hurt against players.  I think it will not chnage that a lot.  On PvP testing, did you guys really found that the Roms relying on cloak strategies were now more dangerous?

Again, I am happy about the improvements and I am sure the X-ships will benefit a lot.  I just would like to get this one.

Again, thanks for the patch!

SPQR Drall

P.S. Yes Nanner, I know...again I appreciate the patch, I am not petitioning for a change I just want to understand.
P.P.S Saved you a post

SPQR Renegade001

« Reply #118 on: July 21, 2003, 11:33:21 am »
Flash & Grab will still be a problem for us, but little more so than when out from under cloak. The tractor can still be countered with repel trac or a WW, and ECM will still effect the D-fire weapons. In our favor with the new patch, is that the cloak can be fully engaged while were trying to break the tractor, and only the anchoring ship benifits from the anchor. Other ships still fail their target locks.

David Ferrell

« Reply #119 on: July 21, 2003, 12:18:20 pm »
Confirmed.  
Actual chart:
66.7% does 100% damage.
33.3% does 50% damage.

Thanks,

Dave  

Holocat

« Reply #120 on: July 21, 2003, 12:36:10 pm »
Is the actual chart for overloaded photons only, all photons only, all direct fire heavy weapons only, all direct fire weapons only, or all weapons, direct or non?

Curiousity only kills slow moving cats that forget to stay away from plasma,

Holocat.

David Ferrell

« Reply #121 on: July 21, 2003, 12:56:56 pm »

Thanks,

Dave  

Sethan

« Reply #122 on: July 21, 2003, 01:02:21 pm »
Quote:

The reason I never use the cloak in PvP is the flash cube....

<snip>

...For the last 2 years I always thought, "damn, it they take away the flash cube, then I can use the cloak in PvP.  I think I still can't.

The flash is necessary, IMHO - it is the only method for forcing a ship out of cloak.  If there were no way to flash a ship, it would be possible for a Rom or pirate to enter a battle, cloak, and just sit there, (virtually) invulnerable.

Without the ability to flash a cloaked ship, if the cloaker has a ship with a fair amount of spare power (or if the opponent ship is small), there would be no way to do enough damage through the cloak to force a ship out of it.

That would allow a cloaker to prolong a battle indefinitely.

Holocat

« Reply #123 on: July 21, 2003, 01:22:55 pm »

Quote:

Pawing about,

Holocat.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Holocat »

FireSoul

« Reply #124 on: July 21, 2003, 02:45:28 pm »
Quote:

The reason I never use the cloak in PvP is the flash cube.

Flash Cubing is a standard SFB tactic that made it into SFC2. It's my opinion that it's supposed to be there, and it has to be part of any player's tactics in PvP.
In otherwords... use your negate tractor more.

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #125 on: July 21, 2003, 04:46:40 pm »
"Flashing" of cloaked ships dates back to TOS: The Balance of Terror, which was the birth of the Romulans and the cloaking device. When the Enterprise fired its "proximity phasers" (really photons) and they exploded, you could see the image of the cloaked WB for an instant.

In ST3:TSfS, Kirk and Sulu could see the cloaked BoP with the naked eye on the viewscreen from the distortion it made against the starfield.

The cloak is not, nor was it ever meant to be an all-powerful, "Uber" weapon.

Thats reserved for Fed ships with 100% RE-VER-SE and magic photons.  

HAND!

TarMinyatur

« Reply #126 on: July 21, 2003, 07:26:20 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Pawing about,

Holocat.  

Holocat, that "Damage reduced by 0.5" is only found in single-player games. For some unkown reason to me, seeking weapons always do full damage in multi-player, regardless of the ECM shift. This is a benefit that plasma chuckers (and drone slingers) enjoy. However, the best defense against these weapons is usually speed. Only starbases should consider using this tactic to reduce damage in single-player since they're immobile.

Here's how it works:

Add the ECM shift to a die roll...

Result: Effect on warhead (missile, plasma, suicide shuttle)
1-6: Full damage
7-8: Half damage
9: Quarter damage

As you can see, it is an unreliable approach to dealing with seeking weapons. A shift of +1 only provides a 16% chance of suffering half damage (e.g. 6 from a Type-I missile). 83% of the time you'll still take full damage (ouch!). A shift of +2 is a bit better though harder to manage (especially vs plasma since they have 3 ECCM built-in) with sensor-derived ECM. A good trick is to toggle Erratics just before getting hit to get a quick burst of 4 ECM (and thus a +2 shift). Again, this only applies to single-player.  

TarMinyatur

« Reply #127 on: July 21, 2003, 07:33:07 pm »
Quote:

Thanks,

Dave  

Except the ESG of course.

ESG always does full damage since it seems to flash the ship first (negating the chart), then hits it.

The PPD might still do damage based upon the current target (which may not be the same as the initial PPD target...a nasty exploit which is easy to do in team matches).

David Ferrell

« Reply #128 on: July 21, 2003, 07:43:00 pm »
Too true.

PPD should be fine.

Thanks,

Dave
« Last Edit: July 21, 2003, 07:43:51 pm by David Ferrell »

Corbomite

« Reply #129 on: July 21, 2003, 08:12:33 pm »
Quote:

Too true.

PPD should be fine.

Thanks,

Dave  

What about Maulers?

David Ferrell

« Reply #130 on: July 21, 2003, 08:25:25 pm »
Maulers are reduced as they should be.

Thanks,

Dave  

Corbomite

« Reply #131 on: July 21, 2003, 08:27:58 pm »

Rod O'neal

« Reply #132 on: July 22, 2003, 12:07:28 am »
A mauler should require a lock on to fire. I don't have a problem with it being put in with other direct fire weapons though. I imagine if you tried to put in every little detail of every rule we'd never get a game to play. I'm enjoying the improvements a lot. Thanks again    

TarMinyatur

« Reply #133 on: July 22, 2003, 11:11:00 pm »
Quote:

Too true.

PPD should be fine.

Thanks,

Dave  

« Last Edit: July 23, 2003, 01:20:29 am by TarMinyatur »

Corbomite

« Reply #134 on: July 22, 2003, 11:17:10 pm »
I'll do with you Tar

Corbomite

« Reply #135 on: July 22, 2003, 11:51:42 pm »
Well I got it to do it in SP. I fired at range 4 when it was cloaked and the PPD connected. About 2 pulses in I CTD.

TarMinyatur

« Reply #136 on: July 23, 2003, 12:10:40 am »
Interesting, Corbomite. I'm on GSA now.

Pestalence

« Reply #137 on: July 23, 2003, 12:35:25 am »

just my $.02

Corbomite

« Reply #138 on: July 23, 2003, 01:40:36 am »
Quote:

The PPD must hit hull to do this while the ship is cloaked.

This is a real show stopper folks. We tested it numerous times. You might as well remove the ISC from the game if this is going to stay that way.

Cleaven

« Reply #139 on: July 23, 2003, 02:24:37 am »
Quote:

just my $.02  

Lepton1

« Reply #140 on: July 23, 2003, 05:01:22 am »
I have a dumb question.  Did this whole PPD-cloak interaction with a CTD happen before this patch?  If so, why have I never heard of it and why was it not fixed?  If it is just happening with this patch, why is that so??  Is it a graphic error???  It is hard to believe that maybe because somewhere in there the code to deal with possible loss of lock for the PPD being faulty would cause a CTD.  It seems as if a number of CTDs have to do with graphics issues.  I would be interested in hearing people's thoughts on the issue.

EmeraldEdge

« Reply #141 on: July 23, 2003, 07:51:48 am »
Wow, just tried out the Cloak/PPD thing.  OUCH!  That's bad, once it hit hull, hello desktop.  

Mog

« Reply #142 on: July 23, 2003, 08:18:10 am »

EmeraldEdge

« Reply #143 on: July 23, 2003, 08:22:08 am »
It's always been able to fire at a cloaked target, as far as I remember.  I seem to remember having some really one sided battles against the I-XCB, as it took it's 6 PPD and whittled away at me.  Cloak didn't do much to help either.  It was a long slow death, I couldn't catch up to him and no plasma would reach, so it was bye-bye Emerald.  Anyhow, this is a bad bug.  

TarMinyatur

« Reply #144 on: July 23, 2003, 08:48:59 am »
Quote:

I have a dumb question.  Did this whole PPD-cloak interaction with a CTD happen before this patch?

That is an excellent question. I know that the PPD does not do 500 damage against the hull of cloaked ships in EAW 2.036. I'm not certain what happens in OP 2.5.3.8.

Screen shot

The PPD also ignores the cloak chart. I've not seen a pulse do less than maximum yet.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2003, 10:33:32 am by TarMinyatur »

Corbomite

« Reply #145 on: July 23, 2003, 09:27:34 am »
Unless someone beats me to it, I'll reinstall 2538 this afternoon and find out. Since it is based on 2036, however, I doubt it will be there.

Quote:

All DF weapons can fire without a lock on, your chance of hitting is just very, very slim. I have managed to hit with the PPD on a cloaked ship before, just not very often. If it is done ala SFB (there's that term again!!!!    ), each pulse must role for it's own wave lock, i.e. the rest don't get free rides once one hits.

EmeraldEdge

« Reply #146 on: July 23, 2003, 09:39:55 am »

Dogmatix!

« Reply #147 on: July 23, 2003, 11:00:13 am »
I really hope Dave decides to go ahead and at least take care of the PPD vs cloaked ship CTD issue.  That's going to really be a problem in light of the fact that given the new benefits to cloaking, more people will be using it.

A lot of us have been doing a lot of work singing the praises of OP and buying community members free copies to drum up support for and interest in the game.  On top of that, the many, many very nice fixes that Dave implemented would seem to be almost for naught if we have a show-stopper bug like this one to contend with.

I could probably learn to live with the PPD DAC issue, but the PPD CTD bug is gonna be tough.

Crosses fingers....

jimmi7769

« Reply #148 on: July 23, 2003, 11:03:31 am »
Quote:

How many final KISS tours have their been???

David Ferrell

« Reply #149 on: July 23, 2003, 11:38:43 am »
you have found one.

Thanks,

Dave  

jimmi7769

« Reply #150 on: July 23, 2003, 11:47:38 am »
Quote:

you have found one.

Thanks,

Dave  

Come on,  Just one more Tour..........what could it hurt.............

EmeraldEdge

« Reply #151 on: July 23, 2003, 11:49:31 am »
Quote:

you have found one.

Thanks,

Dave  

THANKS!  

Dogmatix!

« Reply #152 on: July 23, 2003, 12:28:31 pm »
Quote:

you have found one.

Thanks,

Dave  

jimmi7769

« Reply #153 on: July 23, 2003, 12:30:29 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

you have found one.

Thanks,

Dave  

It's tough haveing to Rock and Roll all night and Party Every Day.

SPQR Renegade001

« Reply #154 on: July 23, 2003, 12:52:50 pm »
Quote:

you have found one.
Thanks,
Dave  

Do I detect a note of sarcasm in that "Thanks"?

Thank you Dave. Cloak and PPD performing out of spec... No biggie. We'll update our charts and more forward. A reproducable CTD bug would kill the Great Green Hope.

You can expect some thank you notes over this.  

Pestalence

« Reply #155 on: July 23, 2003, 01:15:11 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

just my $.02  

I was not insulting anyone.. if you take it as such, then so be it.. I was just merely stating sometihing called..

FACTS

Fact was that at the time, David had announced that support for OP was ended.. no further patches...

Bugs in how the game performs, such as CTD or ships not appearing should be reported so the such items may get a hotfix when Taldren gets time...

Bugs for how weapons operate (when compared to SFB) are not bugs, but most probably game design for balance sake....

as for the damage mitigation on cloak, that was a mistake and David owned up to it and stated for everyone to consider it 67% full damage and 33% half... thus people need to edit their read-me files accordingly...

however it is the number crunching that people do, that makes testers like myself feel unappreciative... not even 5 hours after the patch is released is there a bug posting and flames against the Testers and Taldren...

We, the testers that is, tested 10 builds of SFC OP before this patch was released... we overlooked a couple of things because in a previous patch version, it was working correctly, and as such (speaking for myself) I took it for granted that it was still working and did not test to check numbers...

the point of a PC game or any game is to have fun... not analize it to death.. unless you have fun analizing... many of us just like going into a game and playing to have FUN, not to see if 87% of my photons hit at range 8 on normal load... I go into game to blow something up or to see if i can survive against superior odds...

I am not against SFB purists.. however, it is in the liscense agreement and the Game Manual that SFC is not SFB but is "Based" closely on the SFB Doomsday Ruleset... and it also goes on to state that some things may be changed from SFB standard to promote fair play, balance, etc...

you clicked Agree an the liscense agreement, thus accepting SFC for SFC and not SFB... thus it completely invalidates any SFB Purist claims...

as for me, yes i do want SFC II OP to be as close to SFB as possible because i enjoy the game play..

however when the developer states that support is ended (unless CTD or other major occurance) then it is time to put the penicls down and enjoy the fruits of the labor... IE, such as this cloak issue... the topic heading itself in insulting to Taldren... it could have been titled

Patch 2.5.4.10 has bug in Cloak...

instead of announcing "New cloak not working as advertised "

first off, it is not a new cloak.. it is the cloaking system that has been revised to be more effective in OP

second, Taldren did not Advertise the cloak, all they did was post links for Download and a bug fix list and some game adjustments... I didn't see a web ad stating the capabilities of the SFC OP cloak system...

is it a bug, yes, is it bad enough to prevent game play.. No

another bug is that a Cloaked ship can benifit from ECM... I didn't see a post on this until the middle of the topic thread... does it prevent a fun game play enviroment? No...

but the ECM vs Damage on a cloaked ship are bugs that sort of cancel each other out... thus not a big deal.. maybe lists as a 3 or 4 on a 10 point severity scale...

now the PPD on a cloaked ship causing CTD, that is a showstopper and can prevent game play and is now being looked into by Taldren...

people the game is what it is.. a game, and once the CTD is fixed, then it is a Finished Game... if David looks into the Cloak Damage Bug and looks into the ECM by Cloaked ship bug, then that is up to him... if not, then so be it, I am happy either way and am not losing any sleep over it...

for a pure SFB online game.. www.sfbonline.com will allow people to play .. but as far as OP, taldren tried to get it as close to SFB as possible without going overboard.. they kept it fun. weapons and systems got adjustments, and as such... may be approximations of the SFB rule, or just flat out changed all together.. thus reinforcing again what the game manual states... SFC is not SFB but is "Based" on SFB and changes witll be done if needed.. (read as either to SFB standard or away from SFB standard, whichever makes the game more fun)...

I advocate on several web sites that SFC is based on SFB.. I never claimed SFC was SFB on PC nor have I said I wanted SFC to be SFB on PC... but I do think that SFC should stick as close to SFB as possible, so long as it does not lose the games fun factor... I want to enjoy my game, not tear it apart...
as for the model Size cheat, i found that and reported it.. and thus khoromag Gaming Services created the Model.siz file to reneder models correctly in game... the Plasma Snare Bug on the Gorn Plasma Snare.. i reported that as well and it got fixed... I reported some things i found wrong server side that were not working as intended... basically the things that make the game unplayable...

do i complain, no.. why, because it kept the game close to SFB as possible (which i agree with) yet also kept the fun factor (which i agree with changes from SFB or to SFB whichever is more fun when playing)...

the issue came from a ship system that was doing 33% full damage, 33% half damage, and 33% quarter damage in a previous build between 2538 and 25410.. and as such, it simply got overlooked.... not the end of the world, and certainly the changes were not advertised... the only thing ever stated was that the Cloak was improved.. the Readme contained inaccurate information... however it was not advertised in the least...

am i a SFB Purist.. No, but i do support using SFB as a basis for SFC and that SFC should approximate SFB as much as possible, but not as a mirror image, there has to be a fun factor and game balance somewhere... so if changing a SFB weapon damage table, or adjusting a ruleset for applying damage is needed, then so be it..

so don't get me wrong.... all i was doing was replying to a thread 3 pages long what was still arguing about the cloak issue even after David stated that support for OP was ended barring any critical game play problems.. which a CTD is critical game play problem... any other fixes that David is willing to incorporate into OP is purely a blessing.. but as it stands, the game is what it is, so go and have fun and enjoy until the PPD CTD is fixed....

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Pestalence »

Sethan

« Reply #156 on: July 23, 2003, 01:56:01 pm »
Quote:

you have found one.

Thanks,

Dave  

David - thank you.

I never cease to be impressed at Taldren's commitment to doing the right thing.

...especially given how sick you guys have to be of looking at OP code by this time.

Ifrit

« Reply #157 on: July 23, 2003, 02:30:55 pm »
Dave, any chance we could add a setting for anistropic mipmap filtering, if the patch is going to be patched?  That could really improve the appearance of the lightmaps, and it probably requires only one line of code.  It might even improve the appearance of, er, cloaked ships?

I had to at least try to keep this on topic... seriously, though, mipmap filtering makes a big difference when rendering light maps.  

FireSoul

« Reply #158 on: July 23, 2003, 02:54:03 pm »
Quote:

Not quite.. sorry man, but with your thanks, I have to straighten it out a bit:

1- I do it in Taldren's style, but as close to SFB as I can.
2- it's a shipnames.txt and strings.txt made just for this patch, extracted from with I've already done before for my own project. It was easy: I just had to write another perl script to so it.

... and 3..
.. yes, the majority were things that I had found.. but a lot were reported to me FROM here, the general forums. Often, I merely copy-pasted private messages. It's because of everyone here that I did this. (I'm soo glad you noticed tho, Pestalence.   )

TarMinyatur

« Reply #159 on: July 23, 2003, 03:27:27 pm »
Pestalence wrote:
Quote:

...however it is the number crunching that people do, that makes testers like myself feel unappreciative... not even 5 hours after the patch is released is there a bug posting and flames against the Testers and Taldren...

This is clearly directed at me. If I were still part of the testing circle I would have found these bugs. It wouldn't have been the first time that I found bugs that nobody else did for whatever reasons. A few bugs were missed. Big deal. Nobody thinks you are at fault and should be held responsible.

Anyways, I don't see any anti-Taldren or anti-tester posts in this thread (other than mine???). I think the general public appreciates the work that Taldren and the unpaid beta testers do and have done for years.

I think the SFC vs SFB argument is pointless.  Does the game work as the manual and the readme describe? That's all that probably matters in Taldren's eyes now. Of course, we will all have our preferences on the details and should feel free to express them!

Taldren has used the SFC community's insight and experience as a valuable resource to improve their (I like to say "our") game. I'm very impressed at how bold,  thoughtful, and dedicated Taldren has been in the evolution of the game.

Dogmatix!

« Reply #160 on: July 23, 2003, 03:36:31 pm »
I agree with just about everything you say, Pestalence.  I just don't agree with your chracterization of posts regarding the cloak damage table and PPD-related CTD problem.  If people were doing as you say, then you would be absolutely right to call them on it.  However, I guess I've just missed all these personal attacks you're talking about.  Perhaps they have occured in the past, but I don't see them happening now.  I believe that the majority of respondants are of Cleaven's (and my)  mind...that of just figuring out the nature of the problem and, in the case of a show stopper, requesting it be fixed.

The phrase "Cloak not working as advertised" need not mean anything more than "it doesn't work the way it says it does in the readme.txt file."  If you read something more into it than that, then you do so of your own volition and not necessarily in accordance with the intent of the author.  Righteous indignation seems neither warranted or helpful in this case.  In fact, it only serves it elicit posts of Cleaven's, your response and then this post's nature.  None of which do anything to shed any further light or solve and problems at hand.  

If somone wishes to refer to the augmented cloak as "the new cloak," it may be imprecise, but there's really nothing wrong with doing so since we all know what is being discussed.  

I personally and monetarily thanked Dave Ferrell for this patch.  I believe I thanked the testers on a couple of occasions, too.  In an unofficial capacity I helped test the various patch builds as a rank-and-file player.  I'm very thankful for the patch and the work done on it.  If anyone had let me be a beta testor, I would have loved to have done the job, regardless of what comments by the consumers came my way.

As I said before...thanks VERY MUCH to Dave Ferrell for agreeing to work on fixing the CTD issue.  That's the only thing I was looking for in this entire discussion.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Dogmatix! »

FireSoul

« Reply #161 on: July 23, 2003, 03:38:31 pm »
Continuing the argument is pointless. You did your part, Tar. Do continue and report any problems, but ..
.. do not add fuel to the flame by adding opinion with your posts. Stuff like "why was this missed" and "I would have caught it". are NOT wanted/appreciated.

-- Luc

TarMinyatur

« Reply #162 on: July 23, 2003, 03:55:26 pm »
You're right, FS. I should stick to the facts. Ego battles are fruitless.

I'm off to document a Plasma/Admin CTD bug now.

FireSoul

« Reply #163 on: July 23, 2003, 04:06:50 pm »
Plasma/Admin CTD? If this is for real, I suggest a new thread.

Toasty0

« Reply #164 on: July 23, 2003, 04:16:39 pm »
Quote:

If I were still part of the testing circle I would have found these bugs. It wouldn't have been the first time that I found bugs that nobody else did for whatever reasons.

Did I miss something? Didn't you resign?

PM me or email me if you think your answer might open a can of worms.

Best,
Jerry  

Corbomite

« Reply #165 on: July 23, 2003, 04:53:40 pm »
Quote:

you have found one.

Thanks,

Dave  

Sorry Dave , but thank you!

Has anyone tested other weapons to see if this happens? I'd hate to have Dave go through all this again and find another cloak CTD issue.

Cleaven

« Reply #166 on: July 23, 2003, 05:03:32 pm »
Pestalence, you were telling people to suppress FACTS.

I'm not at all keen on some of the potential inuendo that goes with some of the facts but they are facts none the less. You may NOT insist that people suppress these facts. And especially when those facts are required " to get use to this patch version and play accordingly". I don't care if you want to ignore the info but I want to know as much as I can about how the game works, and I am insulted when somebody comes and says thou shalt not explore the game in one sentance, and "just enjoy the game" in the next, as if I am some mindless drone who has to be told when he is having fun and when to have some soma.  You may not intend the insult but you did anyway.  

And nothing you may say, insulting or otherwise abusive of facts, will make me less grateful for the game I have.    

Jwest

« Reply #167 on: July 23, 2003, 05:07:32 pm »

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #168 on: July 23, 2003, 05:20:30 pm »
It would appear that pointing out to Taldren that a CTD exists, even AFTER they have stated that this is the FINAL patch IS an effective and worthwhile undertaking. So suggesting that it is pointless was a rather poorly thought out statement.

Also, suggesting that someone posting about a bug so closely on the heels of the release of the patch is baffling. Would waiting longer make it more likely that Dave would want to undertake more patching of the FINAL patch?

This was the final of the SFB "BASED" titles (approx 99.99% based on SFB) and as such the  cries of "SFB Purists" should have died out long ago IMHO. As this is the last attempt to actually make the game work as "Advertised" in the game manual, it would seem that those who wish for changes to be made bear the brunt of the load of requesting those changes on their own shoulders.

Certainly those who are NOT "SFB Purists" and are more Trek/TNG fans are not going to be as dedicated in their requests to Taldren to leave OP as close to both SFB and Taldrens own specifications as stated in the manual as possible.

These flame wars should be relagated to things of memory, as the SFC series is in a coma and the only thing that may keep the plug from being pulled is Activisions silly actions concering the rights to Trek and the lawsuit they have filed pertaining to those very rights.  

Eric has flatly stated that if there ever is another SFC title, it will most likely be years down the road, and likely never.

Now we have a TNG version as well as an approximately 50% finished TOS/SFB version, and we as a community of gamers should realize that with no new titles coming out that our numbers are already rapidly decreasing and pointless attacks on one group or another simply work to further weaken the already waning numbers of available gamers.

Just my opinion, feel free to agree with me or flame me. I personally am viewing the Acti vs Viacom lawsuit as the only possible hope for more SFC games, either by Taldren or possibly another entity.

Perhaps with the total decline of all things Trek that has come about since TNG was most stupidly discontinued Viacom/Paramount will move Trek off the cash-cow list and greatly reduce the restrictions they place on who can do what with the intellectual properties that are Trek.

HAND!

Corbomite

« Reply #169 on: July 23, 2003, 05:20:37 pm »
Quote:

Sethan

« Reply #170 on: July 23, 2003, 05:22:58 pm »
One caution - not to put words in Taldren's mouth - but people shouldn't get their hopes up about any non-CTD bugs getting fixed at this point.

Identify and report them if possible, but don't be upset if non-CTD bugs remain after the next final patch.

We are already way past the point where Taldren stopped getting paid for the work they are doing on OP.

David Ferrell

« Reply #171 on: July 23, 2003, 05:23:03 pm »

Thanks,

Dave  

Corbomite

« Reply #172 on: July 23, 2003, 05:25:18 pm »

FireSoul

« Reply #173 on: July 23, 2003, 05:26:05 pm »
Quote:

I agree.

Corbomite

« Reply #174 on: July 23, 2003, 05:39:06 pm »
Ok I just tried Fusions and Hellbores. They work fine. With what Jwest said I think that covers everything. I will try ESG and ESG lance just to be sure though.

Tumulorum Fossor

« Reply #175 on: July 23, 2003, 06:05:30 pm »

Quote:

They gave her back to me.

-William Shatner as Captain Kirk, Star Trek TMP

Quote:

I don't believe in the no-win scenario.

-William Shatner as Captain Kirk, Star Trek II

Quote:

Ever think of retiring?

-Kirk  
Quote:

Not planning on it.

-Picard, Star Trek Generations

Quote:

Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge, off that ship. Because as long as you're there, you can make a difference.

-Kirk, Star Trek Generations

Quote:

I'll be back.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger, Terminator  et al

Quote:

Shane! Shane! Come back!

-Little Girl, Shane

Quote:

Dave, stop. Stop, will you? Stop, Dave. Will you stop, Dave? Stop, Dave. I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it.

-HAL9000, 2001 A Space Odyssey

Quote:

Houston - we have a problem.

-Tom Hanks, Apollo 13

Quote:

Damn the torpedoes. Full speed ahead.

-Admiral David Farragut, Battle of Mobile Bay, Aug 5, 1864

Quote:

It's a far, far better thing I do than I have ever done.

-A Tale Of Two Cities, Charles Dickens

Quote:

You think I'm licked. You all think I'm licked! Well I'm not licked. And I'm going to stay right here and fight for this lost cause even if this room gets filled with lies like these; and the Taylors and all their armies come marching into this place. Somebody will listen to me.

- Jimmy Stewart as Sen Jefferson Smith, Mr. Smith Goes To Washington

Quote:

Feed me! Feed me, Seymour!

-Audrey II, Little Shop Of Horrors

Quote:

[Robin Hood, do you feel you are overtaxed?]

-Prince to Robin Hood

Quote:

Overtaxed, overworked and paid off with a knife, a club or a rope.  

-Robin Hood to the Prince and Sheriff

Quote:

Why, you speak treason!

-Maid Marian

Quote:

Fluently.

-Robin Hood, played by Errol Flynn, the Adventures of Robin Hood, 1948

Quote:

There are two kinds of [SFC fans]: high maintenance and low maintenance...

-Billy Crystal

Quote:

Which one am I?

-Meg Ryan

Quote:

You're the worst kind. You're high maintenance, but you think you're low maintenance.

-Billy Crystal, When Harry Met Sally

Quote:

We're putting the band back together. We need you man. We need your horn.

-John Belushi, as Joliet Jake to Mr. Fab, The Blues Brothers

Quote:

Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in.

- Al Pacino as Michael Corleone, Godfather III

Great to have you back at it, Dave!

I promise: another patch and another donation of gratitude, recognizing that it is NOT solicited by you, NOT required, NOT requested, NOT anything.  Just a sign of gratitude.

Take your time. And consider removing EW from cloak, implementing the 33% full/half/no damage calculation, true range instead of effective range during damage calculation, Mip mapping, potato-peeling, window-washing, foot-massaging, and Set-It-And-Forget-It functioning.

A sincere thank you!

And did you get a chance to the Kingdom Come Action Figures at Comic Con?

-TF

Jwest

« Reply #176 on: July 23, 2003, 06:08:03 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Or if perchance, new sensor data meant one suddenly realized the Pseudo-torp they were ignoring was actually a functional enveloping R-Torp, at not quite the last second.

Fortunately I would never let myself get bluffed that way.

Thank god for that. <Looks around sheepishly>  

Corbomite

« Reply #177 on: July 23, 2003, 06:14:02 pm »
I just tried all the DF weapons, including X weapons and the ESG. They work fine. I guess the PPD is the only culprit, thankfully.

Jim

« Reply #178 on: July 23, 2003, 07:27:51 pm »
Quote:

Thanks,

Dave    

Dave... thanks!   Add another reason to the hundreds we owe you thanks for!  If I ever win the lottery, I'm sending you some of it!

Jim

Mr. Hypergol

« Reply #179 on: July 23, 2003, 08:22:56 pm »

Quote:

Amen brother!!!!!................some day.  Until then, I'll play the hell out of SFC OP......thanks to Dave Ferrell and people like Firesoul.  

Dogmatix!

« Reply #180 on: July 24, 2003, 10:33:25 am »
Quote:

Thanks,

Dave    

Thank ya kindly, Dave.

To me, you programmers work mysterious magic.  I couldn't program my way out of a paper bag...heheh.

Just out of curiosity (don't really care one way or the other), but since you had to wade back into the water just as you were finally getting dried off...are you going to leave the cloaked ship damage table as is or is that a quickie fix that you're willing to do?  Either way, if this PPD bug is squashed, this patch rocks...

Capt Jeff

« Reply #181 on: July 25, 2003, 12:31:32 pm »
This PPD problem doesn't apply just to firing on cloaked ships.  Blow up any ship or even a drone with PPD and you crash.,