Topic: OP+ Corrections Thread: as of version 3.0  (Read 89485 times)

FireSoul

OP+ Corrections Thread: as of version 3.0
« on: August 02, 2003, 09:07:17 am »
I'd like to "close" the previous correction thread and start on a new one. I will probably use this thread as a kind of "notepad", writing down my own thoughts in here, as well as listening to yours.

.. For starters:
People want addtional model separation. For example, they want model separation for anything that use the same model, but are in different races.

ie: Assets/Models/KFF is being used by the Klingons, the Romulans *AND* The Korgath Cartel. If all 3 could use their own Model path and mod files, modders could assign different models, textures, etc to each.

ie: Someone wanted the Romulan MegaHawk (from R7) added to OP+. I've skipped over it because it was shown with fighters, but am currently rethinking that I could work around it: The MegaHawk is only shown with fighter modules attached. I could probably figure out the BPV difference of attaching E modules, and turning this thing into a full PFT. (Ship description states which modules couldn't be assigned)  ..

ie: Some people don't like the textures on some of the modules I have picked for OP+ 3.0 ..  .. like how the KE4, KD5 and KD5W aren't using the klingon textures, but grey blah textures. Telling me that a model's texture is crap isn't good enough. Asking me to do Textures isn't good enough either as I've never even done this before.. but you can voice your opinions here.

ie: I've been carefulyl chosing models to put together the 3.0 package. If you think there's a better model, yet identical, model for a ship, I want to hear about it. Don't go overboard. A high number of poligons on a ship canslow down the game. I want to know why that model is better than the one I already picked.

ie: You've found a good model for me. Put a URL for download, please! I may already have it, or seen it... but I will look probably look at it anyways.

-- Luc

Pestalence

Re: OP+ Corrections Thread: as of version 3.0
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2003, 10:09:59 am »
Firesoul, have you looked at the models in the D2 model pack by P81 and Athrahasis?

if not, then you can DL the pack here at :

http://www.nightsoftware.com/effhq/scr2.html

at the bottom of the page... these ships i think are FASA and i have both a High res pack and Low Res pack.. contains Roms, Fed, and Klink ships...

Thanks

PS.... for some reason to me, it seems that the models you added only show up in Heavy Cruiser selections for each race... I may be wrong, but that is how it seems to me... Is there separation based upon hull Size? I mean a XFG should be in the Friggits (which it is.. but using as an example) and not heavy cruisers... I might be wrong on this and have just set it up wrongly... I'll check again later....

SPQR Renegade001

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2003, 11:42:35 am »
Firesoul, if there are any models in  here  that you like, I can get you the model. Permissions are another matter...

On the MegaHawk, I don't have R7 (Metro Detroit, and I can't find a shop that carries SFB anymore ) so i don't know what material ADB gave to work with, but what I do know is that it's a DN hull that takes 4 SparrowHawk modules. I envisioned 3 basic variants; MHK-KK (LL would be better but would Command put that much Mojo in one hull?), MHK-EK (a PFT/combat platform), & MHK-MK (for use vs Hydrans & Mirak). JK, EM, EJ, KF,JM, FF, JJ .... variants might be interesting, but without guidelines from ADB to work from, I don't see how we could accurately calculate a BPV for a ship this far from the base version, and while they might make good fleet elements, would they be both practical for use in SFC and something that the Empire would really produce?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by SPQR Renegade001 »

dderidex

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2003, 01:09:13 pm »
Well, if you want to use my L9 re-skin and my Fed DD model, you are welcome to them:

There is a re-skin of the F5 for the Romulan Empire (in the other thread - has blue feathers), and a tri-nacelle version of each F5 for the F6/KFR.

dderidex

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2003, 01:13:03 pm »
Quote:

Firesoul, if there are any models in  here  that you like, I can get you the model. Permissions are another matter...

Whoah - where did you get that improved Ark Royal (Fed CV)?  I couldn't fine one, and that looks *fine*!

FireSoul

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2003, 01:17:16 pm »
Quote:

Firesoul, have you looked at the models in the D2 model pack by P81 and Athrahasis?

if not, then you can DL the pack here at :

http://www.nightsoftware.com/effhq/scr2.html

at the bottom of the page... these ships i think are FASA and i have both a High res pack and Low Res pack.. contains Roms, Fed, and Klink ships...

Thanks

PS.... for some reason to me, it seems that the models you added only show up in Heavy Cruiser selections for each race... I may be wrong, but that is how it seems to me... Is there separation based upon hull Size? I mean a XFG should be in the Friggits (which it is.. but using as an example) and not heavy cruisers... I might be wrong on this and have just set it up wrongly... I'll check again later....

The there of this mod is SFB accuracy, without sacrificing Taldren's style. In other words, if the Taldren model does the job, then I don't replace it. Of course, there are some exceptions:

1- The Taldren D5s are plain ugly, IMHO. Some people have complained about the D5s I am now using, but the problems aren't anything I can't fix.

2- I never understood why the old-style models were never used by Taldren, onolder ships. That's why I made sure I have older models for some Federation ships, and matching updated (TMP) versions which are more in Taldren's style.
ie: FECA, FEDD, FEFF, FTG  -->  FCA, FDD, FFF, FTG+(I guess I should make those FETG and FTG)

3- Some of the Taldren models weren't "cool" enough.. Like the Gorn replacements.. or some individual ships I might've replaced.

Another function of the mod is to indeed separate the ship classes, in case people (such as some of you) want to put in their own models. Heck, why don't you put together your own modelpacks for use with this project?

FireSoul

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2003, 01:25:22 pm »
Quote:

On the MegaHawk, I don't have R7 (Metro Detroit, and I can't find a shop that carries SFB anymore ) so i don't know what material ADB gave to work with, but what I do know is that it's a DN hull that takes 4 SparrowHawk modules. I envisioned 3 basic variants; MHK-KK (LL would be better but would Command put that much Mojo in one hull?), MHK-EK (a PFT/combat platform), & MHK-MK (for use vs Hydrans & Mirak). JK, EM, EJ, KF,JM, FF, JJ .... variants might be interesting, but without guidelines from ADB to work from, I don't see how we could accurately calculate a BPV for a ship this far from the base version, and while they might make good fleet elements, would they be both practical for use in SFC and something that the Empire would really produce?  

It's actually 2 SkyHawk and 2 SparrowHawk modules.. and the ship description says no F (mauler) or J (PlaS) modules.
That leaves: EK, MK, .. I am not fully familiar with the other modules config. I'll have to think about it.

PS. There seems to be a lighter version of the Modular DN ( a DNL ) called a OmniHawk. That could use the same modules.

FireSoul

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2003, 01:27:59 pm »
Quote:

Well, if you want to use my L9 re-skin and my Fed DD model, you are welcome to them:

Thank you. I downloaded it this morning, actually. I don't think I'll be using it since it changes the style a bit, but I like the idea.
Idea: Add a 3rd engine to the back of Taldren's F5 BoP to make a F6/KFR variant... what do you think? That would certainly match the style.

FireSoul

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2003, 01:30:59 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Whoah - where did you get that improved Ark Royal (Fed CV)?  I couldn't fine one, and that looks *fine*!  

Here, I think.

dderidex

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2003, 03:03:44 pm »
I was referring to Renegade's CVA http://mywebpages.comcast.net/renegade001//gallery/SCR00024.htm.  Looks like an improvement over the Taldren model (a little).

Anyway, few more suggestions from my little ship-mill here.

First, a D2 model for F-POL:

And a modified D2 model for the rest - chosen because it has all the right attributes for the Fed FF - two warp engines, small, and can be easily modified into the DW and HDW hulls.  (This is the FASA 'Baker'-class, btw)

FireSoul

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2003, 06:02:51 pm »
The F-POL is TNG.

.. but I *do* like the HDW and will have to compare mine with it. Where can I download it from?
-- Luc
« Last Edit: August 02, 2003, 06:05:15 pm by FireSoul »

dderidex

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2003, 06:31:46 pm »
EDIT: Uploading now, it'll be done in a moment.  Link here.  I will upload another one tomorrow - but this one is mostly correct.  I need to tweak the break models some, and I'd like to move the hardpoints around some.  These will certainly work fine, though, and should look in-game exactly as the 'finished' ones will.

And that F-POL is not TNG - it's the 'Grissom' model, seen in 'Star Trek III'.  In fact, it was seen first on screen before the Excelsior was.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by dderidex »

Corbomite

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2003, 06:42:50 pm »
The R-KWR is using the Snipe frigate model, the KR UI, is in the Light Cruiser section and it is classified as a New Heavy Cruiser. That's one mixed up ship. This is in the DL without models.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Corbomite »

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2003, 06:46:55 pm »
I dont see the D5W listed in any of the ship libraries or skirmish/Co-op ace selection screens....I see it in the shiplist though.....

!?!

I'll check it out again...  

Oh yeah...No model DL....
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by crimnick »

FireSoul

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2003, 08:39:12 pm »
Quote:

The R-KWR is using the Snipe frigate model, the KR UI, is in the Light Cruiser section and it is classified as a New Heavy Cruiser. That's one mixed up ship. This is in the DL without models.  

Confirmed. I just updated the download since it doesn't affect or break anything.
This affects the no-models installer only.

How to fix yourself, if you don't want to redownload/reinstall:
Copy the contents of Assets/Models/KCL to opplus/models/RD5W and opplus/models/RD5
Rename the .mod files within these destination directories to "rd5w.mod", "rd5w_brk.mod" and "rd5.mod", "rd5_brk.mod"

OR..

Redownload/Reinstall.

-- Luc

FireSoul

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2003, 08:40:18 pm »
Quote:

I dont see the D5W listed in any of the ship libraries or skirmish/Co-op ace selection screens....I see it in the shiplist though.....

!?!

I'll check it out again...  
Oh yeah...No model DL....

Look under heavy cruisers. It's a "New Heavy Cruiser", after all.

Mr. Hypergol

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2003, 11:38:13 pm »
F-PV and F-PV+ have wrong model links.  Shiplist linking to FPC.MOD but there is no model folder called that.   No model shows up when playing game.  

FireSoul

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2003, 12:03:47 am »
Quote:

F-PV and F-PV+ have wrong model links.  Shiplist linking to FPC.MOD but there is no model folder called that.   No model shows up when playing game.  

Oh. Aiie. Ok.
I'll update the installer(s), it will not be in "model.siz" just yet. That way the game will remain compatible to all.

One can also put in some model in there temporarily. It was supposed to be another copy of the FPOL/FPOL+ directory.

-- Luc

Edit: Temporary fix now included in updated installer, if that's easier for you. No changes done to 5 primary files (those that are checked for differences between hosts) so this is the same shiplist version.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2003, 12:13:38 am by FireSoul »

SPQR Renegade001

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2003, 12:08:44 am »
Quote:

That Fed CVA is by Gow aka Jrstandfast. Most of his models can be had at StarFleet Universe, but it looks like that ones not there. If you have issues finding it, drop me a line.  

Mr. Hypergol

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2003, 12:32:10 am »
I linked the F-PV to the F-POL+ model manually.  Is there actually a police carrier model?

Few questions:

1)  Did you mean to link the F-FFT, F-CFF, and F-CFF+ to the taldren frigate model?

These next two are preference-type questions:

2)  I think the F-DN should be an old Federation Class model, and the F-DN+ on down should be the USS Star League version.  This is the type of pattern you followed with the F-CA, F-DD, etc. ship classes.  I can understand the F-BB still linking to Taldren model since it was conjectural and would have been in TMP era style.

3)  The F-CVL is a F-GSC, why not link it to the Taldren F-CA model?  I think the carrier model you have is cool looking, but it is kinda too different from a F-GSC look......ya know what I'm sayin'.  I kinda feel the same way about the F-CVS which is derived from the F-CA also.  Again this is just preference and I can always change it myself....so no biggie.

I do like most of your reasoning in Fed model selection so far.  I like what you did with the F-NCL class and making the F-NCM the actual Miranda class with the torp bar added.  That made it a nice match for Kirk and his F-CA+ in the Wrath of Khan movie.  I also think the Soyuz class works well as an NCA.

Excellent shiplist.....now on to "scrutinizing" the klingons.