Topic: The Doomsday Machine  (Read 47637 times)

FPF_TraceyG

The Doomsday Machine
« on: August 09, 2003, 11:25:27 am »
I've written a script that attempts to follow the storyline from the TOS episode, The Doomsday machine. I'm finding that everything works properly, until the DM is killed and becomes a Dead DM, and the mission crashes. As far as I can tell, its not even reaching the mOnDeath method called when its killed. I suspect that something peculiar happens with the Doomsday Machine, it doesnt actually blow up, but is replaced by a 'dead' version of itself (since the Dead DM is still there). This leads me to believe the game engine has a set of functions hard-coded for the DM, and when killed, a new 'dead' DM is created in its place, which is of course a different 'ship', and therefore, all the pointers I initialised to point to the old one, are no longer valid (which might explain why my mission crashes).
Has anyone written a script using the Doomsday Machine before? Did it work and is it just something I am doing? Or, has this problem been encountered before and there is a workaround for it?
The script was written for OP, by the way.

Rogue

Re: The Doomsday Machine
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2003, 12:31:44 pm »
Sorry if this is a silly question, however, is the path to the dead doomsday machine still valid? I think you are right in that it gets replaced by an entirely new model (mdd from mdm) upon destruction and can/will CTD if the .mod path or name is different than what it asks for. All this you seem to be aware of, but did you check the model folder and see if it stil exists and that the name is right? As I don't do mission API stuff it is the only check I can think of.    

FPF_TraceyG

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2003, 10:49:25 pm »
Yes, the dead model is pointed to correctly, I'm using FireSoul's 3.0 list. The 'live' model does actually get replaced with the 'dead' one for about half a second, then the mission crashes.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Tracey Greenough »

Rogue

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2003, 08:29:58 am »
Ya, I thought you knew that. It was the only thought that occured to me reading you description. "Gosh, could it be the model path is the culprit?" As far as what event the game wants that is missing I wished I could say. Don't you love being faulted by a machine for not using or including the right phrase? It's as though you didn't say "Mother, may I."  

FPF_TraceyG

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2003, 11:32:56 am »
Well, it was a thought, thanks anyway...

FPF_TraceyG

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2003, 01:40:35 pm »
Ok, well I fixed it.. it seemes to work if the Doomsday Machine team is a NPC team. Not sure if this is because of something else I have in the code, or if the DM needs that setting to work. But, its working.

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2003, 04:16:41 pm »
Quote:

Well, it was a thought, thanks anyway...  

Sounds great Tracey! Are your scripts available somewhere?

KF

FPF_TraceyG

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2003, 04:44:48 pm »
Yes, you can download them from here:
 SFC2 OP Missions
These are a set of patrols that will be used on the Storm Season II campaign for OP. I will, however, be making another recompile soon though. I dont have a download link for the EAW missions yet.

Rod O'neal

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2003, 06:06:40 pm »
Thanks Tracy. It's much appreciated. Looking forward to the others too.  

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2003, 11:27:00 am »
Tracey,

Is there anyway of turning off the 'you can kill a Doomsday Machine with a fighter/shuttle' ability? I can't tell you how many times I've used a FCV and had a fighter squadron fly through the thing hit it and kill it. Ridiculous!

Also if I were to get you a copy of FASA Trek's scenario "A Doomsday Like Any Other" would you be inclined to create a mission based or two on it? I lone Chandley class would be the star of the show out in the FASA OUTBACK (Gorn-Romulan-Federation Frontier). I envision part 1 to be rescue a small merchant/pirate ship carrying a control device.  Part 2 is ?oh my god, the DM is going to eat planet Ectair? if we don?t acquire/capture and ram a luxury liner down its throat (fails). Part 3 involves sending a boarding party on it to capture it before a Romulan squadron decides to capture it for themselves?

Qapla!

KF

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2003, 07:25:16 am »
Check out the Doomsday Machine here in this model pack:

I did a search on STMODDIRECTORY for "SFC Model Pack" and bam! I got the d/l link:

http://www.stcd.sgnonline.com/network/sfcmods.htm

I LOVE the Doomsday Machine included in this pack! Looks more accurate IMHO.

Now we have:

1. Stock Taldren
2. Stock Retexture John Stone
3. Azel's TNG version
4. this one.

Pestalence

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2003, 08:39:13 pm »
Tracey,

is it possible for you to compile it for a Skirmish mission?

or a Multi-player Mission for GSA?

I would love to create a custom shiplist based on your script and the model listed in the post above...

I wanted to take FS's Shiplist and add in the Planet Killer Doomsday Machine into an entry and giving it a high warp value,  moderate to low impulse, slow accelleration value, slow turn value, an extremely hard hull and high armor, 4 Fusion Cannons FA only, and tractors, No transporters and lots of marines (to prevent capture)

Now hopefully in game the model will not be able to Ram, and also, hopefully someone can help me thing of a way to where it will do lots of damage per volley.... while at the same time, trying to keep it looking like the TOS episode....

Thanks

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2003, 11:34:36 pm »
Speaking of Doomsday Machines:

http://208.57.228.4/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB11&Number=148729&Main=148723#Post148729

Something I've been up to...

Qapla!

KF

FPF_TraceyG

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2003, 05:22:58 am »
The Doomsday machine UI in the shiplist appears to give it special properties. It cannot take damage, it cannot be boarded or hit and run. It can be killed by 'anything' colliding with the 'maw' of the model, including a fighter or shuttle.
To get around this, for SS2, I asked Jeff to place 4 AMD12 on the DM. This kills shuttles quickly, and usually gets most fighters as well. I also asked him to replace the stock PPDs on the DM with TRHs (Heavy Tractor-Repulsor Beams),since PPDs dont work at close range. Alternatively, a Mauler might also work well.
I've almost finished the mission script, no more problems with it so far.
Here's a pic someone took whilst testing the game in mission for me.

As for other Doomsday scenarios, by all means, you can either post any info here, or send to my email address FPF_TraceyG@hotmail.com
Oh, I see no reason why a Doomsday script can't be written for skirmish either.  

Rod O'neal

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2003, 01:01:57 am »
Tracy,
  Something else that might, or might not, have something to do with the DD machine acting differently in scripts. when you run Dave Wessels' "shiplist checker" on the shiplist it returns this error

Unable to open model file "./assets/models/mdm/mdm_brk.mod" for M-DMS, line 1006
Unable to open model file "./assets/models/mdm/mdm_brk.mod" for M-DMM, line 1007
Unable to open model file "./assets/models/mdm/mdm_brk.mod" for M-DML, line 1008
Unable to open model file "./assets/models/mdd/mdd_brk.mod" for M-DMD, line 1009

There are no _brk.mods for the doomsday monsters. They use the mdd.mod as a _brk.mod, don't they? Maybe there's something coded in the game, or something needs to be added to the code of scripts, or both, to make the mdd.mod be called as the _brk.mod when the monster's killed.

I don't know if this info matters at all or not. I thought it might though, so I decided to pass it along.    

FPF_TraceyG

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2003, 03:03:10 am »
Interesting. When the Doomsday Machine is killed, it doesn't blow up, but reverts to the 'dead, Doomsday model. The above would explain that. I never actually looked at the pointers for the models in the shiplist to be honest.

Klingon Fanatic

atheorhaven

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2003, 05:39:29 pm »
Btw Tracey.. when you do this one up, you might also consider looking at this (for fun)..

http://www.themackiestuff.com/atheorhaven/html/userfiles/ships/trek/sfc2/TOS_TDDM_constellation_SFC2.zip

Did this up a while back and it'd go nicely with the new Doomsday Machine... it was done up for playing with the MDM scenario.    

FPF_TraceyG

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2003, 06:28:26 pm »
Ooooh, I've been looking for a model just like that one!! Thanks...

atheorhaven

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2003, 06:37:26 pm »
No problem Tracey.. and for proper testing, you should also grab Lord Schtupp's TOS Enterprise.. it's the one that I kitbashed this Connie from (with permission).  It'll expand the milk of the experience and help fill it all full of TOS Trek-crunchy goodness.

http://www.frost-works.com/schtupp/cruisers.htm

Pestalence

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2003, 07:24:16 pm »
Tracey,

This is the TOS Enterprise that I have

Code:
Credits
The Original Series Constitution Cruiser (refit for series run)

Original mesh by Moon (Thanks, man!)

Based on a design by Franz Joseph and Paramount's Star Trek series

Mesh reworked by Lansing (Mike Callahan)

Textures by Lansing

Design advice, HEAVY research and additional textural work by Brian Zinkle, Ghost and Anduril.

Taldren Model Viewer :

______ ------------------- _______________ ----------------- ______________ ----------

In Game Shots :

I can make this one available for DL as i do not know which site i got it from....

just let me know, oir email me at pestalence@startrek.net

Atherohaven, Excellent Constellation model you have there for the damaged ship.. i love it and it wiould be perfect for this senario...

hopefully this can be made to where the shiplist could be custom for the additional model(s) so all i would have to use is Ship Edit OP to change the weapon specs....

Thanks..

BTW any word on GSA mission.. I would make one using FMSE, but those are not OP compatible...

also Single player Skirmish would be wonderful as well...

Thanks.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Pestalence »

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2003, 02:34:19 pm »
Tracey,

Please give us an update on the state of your script.

Qapla!

KF
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Klingon Fanatic »

FPF_TraceyG

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2003, 04:50:55 pm »
Its almost finished. I'm a bit busy trying to get missions done for SS2 as well, so its a bit slow going. I have encountered a problem with transporter objects. Originally, I had in the script you beam aboard an engineering team onto the crippled ship, the ship then begins to repair. Shortly thereafter, a survivor is found, the ship's captain and you beam him back. At this point in the script, the transporter icons go hay wire and ever object on the map shows exactly the same transporter icons in its display panel. I've seen this happen in one of Dave's missions as well, where you have to rescue a spy aboard a ship, and every enemy ship ends up showing the spy on board.

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2003, 01:29:36 pm »
Tracey,

Thank you for the update!

I am so looking forward to playing this and the ANY other missions you are planning to release.

Best wishes,

KF

atheorhaven

finally figured it out.. resize of the MDM is complete..
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2003, 06:15:20 pm »
And I also retouched the dead DM a bit as well to match a little more and give it a bit more of the "burnt-out" look.

The biggest issue I was having though with it was the placement of the maw effect.  It was either too far in, or too far in front.  Well, I got it today.  The only problem is that the effect now doesn't fill the mouth of the maw (because it was hardcoded I think for the original sized one, and this one is 200% larger than that now), but oh well.. you can only do so much.  

But it's now complete and ready for download.  I'll crosspost this over to the Mission Scripting forum as well because then Tracey'll know for her Doomsday script.

But here's a shot of the final result...

I guess I'll get this up for download asap... Enjoy guys..

Klingon Fanatic

Re: finally figured it out.. resize of the MDM is complete..
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2003, 07:44:14 pm »
Looks awesome! No more 'sports coup' version! Yeah!

Well done Atheorhaven!

Tracey,

please give us some news....

KF

atheorhaven

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2003, 08:06:50 pm »
As I mentioned in the Mods forum though, we're going to need spacecadetglowuk's permission before we can release this.  This is primarily his work, I only resized it and then created the MDD texture based on his MDM texture.  So this doesn't get out unless he's okay with it.. :/

atheorhaven

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2003, 12:36:37 pm »
Cross-posting from the Models forum:

Quote:

TheBigCheese
Commander
Reged: 03/03/02
Loc: Trafford,UK
 Re: Finally figured it out.. KF's request for resize of spacecadetglowuk's MDM done!
   #166131 - 09/10/03 11:05 AM

space gave permission for anyone to use and kitbash any model at his old site, so go ahead and release it  

Fabulous.. thanks for the update.

Now that there's a go-ahead.. here's the link to it (and I'll cross-post this to the Scripting forum as well so that Tracey knows)..

http://www.themackiestuff.com/atheorhaven/html/userfiles/ships/trek/sfc2/spacecadetglows_mdm_resize.zip

This includes the Live and Dead versions of the rescaled Doomsday machine in their proper folders.  Just unzip with folder names from the \assets\models directory and they should open in the right place.  

atheorhaven

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2003, 09:14:11 am »
Just wondering what's happening with this script..

FPF_TraceyG

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2003, 10:17:37 am »
Sorry I havent replied here for awhile, I've been playing a lot on SS2 lately and havent done any scripting for awhile.
I still have a few things to add to it, and ran into a problem with transporter objects. Intitially I had wanted the engineering team beamed aboard the crippled ship to find the ship's captain, who you then beam back. After this, a bried dialogue about the planet killer would appear and then you go off to fight it. Unfortunately, for some reason, when the 'Captain dude' transporter item is added to the crippled ship (which still has the enginerring team on board by the way), every ship in the game then shows both transporter items in the transporter panel. Not sure how to fix this yet, but basically, this is the only thing holding up the script.

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2003, 07:36:34 pm »
Quote:

Sorry I havent replied here for awhile, I've been playing a lot on SS2 lately and havent done any scripting for awhile.
I still have a few things to add to it, and ran into a problem with transporter objects. Intitially I had wanted the engineering team beamed aboard the crippled ship to find the ship's captain, who you then beam back. After this, a bried dialogue about the planet killer would appear and then you go off to fight it. Unfortunately, for some reason, when the 'Captain dude' transporter item is added to the crippled ship (which still has the enginerring team on board by the way), every ship in the game then shows both transporter items in the transporter panel. Not sure how to fix this yet, but basically, this is the only thing holding up the script.  

Perhaps you might find the solution in Centauri Vaugn's TMG Yesterday's Enterprise script? It involves a damaged ship and transporting engineering team/Captain Garrett from to E-C to/from E-D... Just a thought

Qapla!

KF

FPF_TraceyG

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2003, 11:44:59 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Perhaps you might find the solution in Centauri Vaugn's TMG Yesterday's Enterprise script? It involves a damaged ship and transporting engineering team/Captain Garrett from to E-C to/from E-D... Just a thought

Qapla!

KF  

Is that a SFC2 or SFC3 script?

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2003, 07:23:08 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Qapla!

KF  

Is that a SFC2 or SFC3 script?  

Centauri Vaughn's Yesterdays Enterprise mission is a SFC:OP script.

KF

Potemkin

Hey, I saw this thing once in SFC I
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2003, 11:27:45 pm »
Never could damage the thing.  And I had a C-9, and a D-7!

Run away, run away!

Po~

Is there some key to killing it?

Strafer

Re: Hey, I saw this thing once in SFC I
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2003, 11:40:36 am »
The Doomsday monster? You feed it something.
A shuttle will do.

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2003, 02:45:15 pm »
Quote:

Never could damage the thing.  And I had a C-9, and a D-7!

Run away, run away!

Po~

Is there some key to killing it?

You can defeat the Doomsday Machine IF you stay behind it firing your weapons. However, if you over run it, you will defeat it at the cost of your ship. This is just as ridiculous to me as having the shuttle/fighter take it out when it hits the ?magic spot? on it.

Tracey G.,

How about some news, please? Even releasing the revised Doomsday Machine stats would be welcome news.We also have a wonderful KA Luxury Liner for A Doomsday Like Any Other now, lol? BTW if you need Centauri Vaughn?s mission, let me know.

Qapla!

KF

FPF_TraceyG

« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2003, 04:05:56 pm »
In testing, we changed the stock weapons on the Doomsday Machine, adding in lots of AMD to lower the potential for a shuttle or fighter simply taking it out by flying down its maw. We also used Heavy TR beams instead of PPDs, which looked ok, but perhaps a Mauler would look better.
If you like, I'll put the beta beta version up for download. It works just fine, just needs a few more things added to it to complete the storyline, but you can still finish the mission adequately. The SS2 shiplist contains the revised stats for the Doomsday Machine, so if you already have that, then just run the mission in single player (it was made for a campaign).
I will post a link soon.

Pestalence

« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2003, 06:24:54 pm »
I think the mauler idea is the best as it wold look just like the TOS episode... It is what I have my DM shooting at me on my spec file... and getting in close when it does fire... Ouch... i gave it 2.

Maybe upgrade it to 3 or 4 later on as I would like it to be able to take out hard points on it's attack, yet still let the ship manuver, not quite crippeling it. just take the player down a notch or 2 to where they would have to pull off and build back up before thinking of engaging that thing again.

atheorhaven

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2003, 12:05:37 am »
Quote:

How about some news, please? Even releasing the revised Doomsday Machine stats would be welcome news.We also have a wonderful KA Luxury Liner for A Doomsday Like Any Other now, lol… BTW if you need Centauri Vaughn’s mission, let me know.
Qapla!
KF

Just posting so that Tracey et al can see the liner for consideration for the script..

Potemkin

WHAT
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2003, 11:04:05 pm »
is that ship, Atheorhaven?

Po~

Be explicit.

Potemkin

« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2003, 11:06:27 pm »
And how does one load up these new scenarios you have created?

Po~

Lieutenant_Q

« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2003, 11:14:50 am »
Something that I've never really cared about Tracey, is that the Doomsday machine was coded as invunerable to weapons fire.  I don't think that its completely invunerable.  Spock said "Sensors indicate that the object's hull is made of solid nuetronium, a SINGLE starship cannot combat it."  The only way I've seen the Doomsday machine destroy starships is to eat them, which of course kills the Doomsday Machine.  You're on to something by giving the DM weapons, 4 Fusion Cannons FA with enough energy to always Overload them?  I think the DM should actually be fast, since it can overtake a Connie unless the Connie is moving at flank speed.  I also think that instead of making the DM invunerable, it should just have an enormous amount of armor, and maybe a natural ECM shift.  That way a single starship wouldn't stand a chance against it, but a whole fleet of ships could possibly take it down.  Really a shame that the Klink's Ion Cannon cant be ported from SFC3, i think that the Ion cannon would actually make a better weapon for the DM than the Fusion Beams.  

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2003, 11:34:46 am »
Quote:

Something that I've never really cared about Tracey, is that the Doomsday machine was coded as invunerable to weapons fire.  I don't think that its completely invunerable.  Spock said "Sensors indicate that the object's hull is made of solid nuetronium, a SINGLE starship cannot combat it."  The only way I've seen the Doomsday machine destroy starships is to eat them, which of course kills the Doomsday Machine.  You're on to something by giving the DM weapons, 4 Fusion Cannons FA with enough energy to always Overload them?  I think the DM should actually be fast, since it can overtake a Connie unless the Connie is moving at flank speed.  I also think that instead of making the DM invunerable, it should just have an enormous amount of armor, and maybe a natural ECM shift.  That way a single starship wouldn't stand a chance against it, but a whole fleet of ships could possibly take it down.  Really a shame that the Klink's Ion Cannon cant be ported from SFC3, i think that the Ion cannon would actually make a better weapon for the DM than the Fusion Beams.  

First, I'm pretty sure there is an upper limit on armor, I want to say 150 points, I'm not 100% sure. Neutronium is incredibly tough stuff and Federation Technology in TMP times is not there for doing ANY damage to that stuff. So for me the Invulnerability is a key factor for me. I like knowing there are things you have to think about  beating rather than the violent head on 'guns blazing' approach. A fleet battle against the doomsday machine is depicted in FASA's A Doomsday Like Any Other; the Romulan Squadron (and the Chandley) may opt to attemtp to destroy it by sacrificing one of their ships to it.

Qapla!

KF

Lieutenant_Q

« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2003, 11:48:58 am »
If there is an upper limit on armor, then perhaps it needs to be given sheilds as well.  As much as I like puzzles that require some thinking, the one in SFC1 regarding the Doomsday Machine didnt require any thought on my part at all.  (well I had just watched the Doomsday Machine a couple of hours before I managed to get the computer to continue the SFC campaign)  When the DM became active I did get as far away from it as I could, expecting it to shoot at me, but when it didnt, I simply closed the gap and threw the 1701 Enterprise (Imperial Ship) into its maw.  

Pestalence

« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2003, 08:47:48 pm »
If you care to re-watch the episode.. you will notice that all the Enterprises weapons bounced off the hull leaving absolutely no damage on it's hull.. all the DM did was notice a source of energy and turned toward it....

Also, if you read Trek Books (or even give them any consideration for ST background)

the TNG book Vendetta has an even bigger DM (on a scale of 10 times bigger or more) came across Piccard and the Ent-D and in the end, the DM was made by Guinen's (Whoopie Goldberg in TNG) race as the ultimate payback weapon against the Borg for what they did to Guinen's race.. the DM ate planets to fuel itself for the long journey to the Borg homeworld.. if it ever found it.. always searching...

The Borg entered the area and got into a scuffle against the big DM.  the DM obtained damage from what Data stated as a PURE ANTI-PROTON Beam.. the Borg carved a circle out of the DM hull before the DM fired it's "fusion" cannon weakening the Cube long enough to devoure it...

anyhow.. it was a good book and gave a lot of Roddenberry background information on the DM.. it is the only Trek Book that i know of for TNG that he actually was considering to make into an episode or movie, however he passed away before he could.

So the question of a Canon involvement arrises on how you view Trek.. Books are considered Non-Canon. Only what is seen on TV or the movie Theater Screen during an episode of Star Trek is considered Canon.. everything else is fan worship and means nothing in the Trek time line. this is per Roddenberry.

But fans consider different things to be Canon... thus is the nature of Sci-Fi.

Anyhow, i too would like to DL this script and give it a whirl.. and comparing to TOS/TMP tech.. the DM should remain indestructable save for sacraficing a ship into it's maw... either a shuttle or a wingman...

Thanks.

Lieutenant_Q

« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2003, 12:17:39 am »
If you look at a VOY episode, I think it was called Think Tank but im not sure about that.  The Think Tanks ship was actually made of Nuetronium as well, and those "Bounty Hunters with a Work Ethic" were doing some (albiet small) damage to that ship.  Like I said, I dont think it should be invunerable, just very very hard to even scratch, something like 8 OL Photons or 3 Type -R  plasma Torps at point blank, just to check off an armor box.  But It is also possible that SFC just wont let that kind of custom rule onto the table.  

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2003, 04:20:13 pm »
Quote:

If you look at a VOY episode, I think it was called Think Tank but im not sure about that.  The Think Tanks ship was actually made of Nuetronium as well, and those "Bounty Hunters with a Work Ethic" were doing some (albiet small) damage to that ship.  Like I said, I dont think it should be invunerable, just very very hard to even scratch, something like 8 OL Photons or 3 Type -R  plasma Torps at point blank, just to check off an armor box.  But It is also possible that SFC just wont let that kind of custom rule onto the table.  

First, that example is set in TNG times about 100+ years after the first encounter with the Doomsday Machine. TMP Era FASA Trek stated the Federation was about 100 years or so away from even manipulation neutronium; never mind something that could shoot back and DESTROY planets. Also the weapons in TNG times are orders of MAGNITUDE greater than TOS/TMP times. This is partly why I'm turned off by TNG Trek at the present time.

[RANT ON]
"Oh look another pretty TNG/post TNG Fed ship you can't scratch the paint on even if its blasted by a supernova! "
[RANT OFF]

Second, don't get me started on the Voyager show... Lets rip of the Starblazers theme of a single ship against a Galactic Empire... The castration of the BORG was pure CHEESE and a poor excuse for bad script writing.

Pestalence,

Thank you for the synopsis of VENDETTA. I never read the book, I wish I had. However, I admit I like the EXTRA-GALACTIC origin  of the Doomsday Machine better. I intend to read this book as soon as I can get a copy.

Tracey G.,

Can we have an update this weekend? I certainly understand RL issues you might have lol. Thanks.

Qapla!

KF

Potemkin

« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2003, 10:12:49 pm »
I never thought of that when I was in that scenario.  All those Imperial ships...

I usualy try to capture ships - it never dawned on me to feed one of them to the Machine.  And yes, I have seen that episode many times.  Though, not recently.

Po~

TR-Beams would have made short work of the beast.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Potemkin »

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2003, 04:34:28 pm »
BUMP for news.

KF

Potemkin

Re: The Doomsday Machine - link?
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2003, 03:51:05 pm »
Is the scenario ready and posted yet?

Thanks

Po~  

FPF_TraceyG

« Reply #50 on: November 03, 2003, 12:12:28 pm »
Sorry I haven't gotten back to this, have been a bit busy lately. Will get to it soon though, hopefully sometime in the next week. Those models above look really good by the way, nice work!  

Potemkin

« Reply #51 on: November 03, 2003, 08:01:47 pm »
I dare say I understand about being busy - apart from the forums!

Quick question - I understand the scripting language for SFC is simular to C - what all do you need to script a scenario?

Thanks

Po~  

RogueJedi_XC

« Reply #52 on: November 03, 2003, 09:42:43 pm »
The language used for the SFC EAW/OP/TNG scripting API is C++. You will need Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 SP 5 to compile the scripts, and, of course, the API for the game you are making scripts for.  

atheorhaven

« Reply #53 on: November 03, 2003, 11:22:15 pm »
Just reposting picture and download links because my site host (Mackie) changed addresses..

The Doomsday Machine

http://www.the-tcs.net/_hosted/atheorhaven/html/userfiles/ships/trek/sfc2/spacecadetglows_mdm_resize.zip

KA Liner

http://www.the-tcs.net/_hosted/atheorhaven/html/userfiles/ships/trek/sfc2/ka_liner_sfc2.zip

USS Constellation

http://www.the-tcs.net/_hosted/atheorhaven/html/userfiles/ships/trek/sfc2/TOS_TDDM_constellation_SFC2.zip

Also have completed for the "Tholian Web" script idea...

USS Defiant

No download link yet.. going to try and do up a SFC 1 and SFC 3 version of this one.. (would like to convert all my currently "up-on-site" stuff to both SFC 1 and SFC 3 versions (where not already done).

The Tholian Web itself is also done, such as it is.. just don't know how to implement it.  (Oh, and in case someone knows how to implement a dampening field idea on ships in SFC 2 [directed to all systems, but especially hitting life support to help simulate the life drain?], I've also got a TOS Amoeba complete as well..

No download link here yet either, waiting for a SFC 3 version to come back.. (should be today or tomorrow).

So there you go..

Potemkin

« Reply #54 on: November 03, 2003, 11:51:35 pm »
Let's see, I don't know C++ or have a C++ program/compiler  

So I'll just go out and buy one (looks in wallet)

Well - that probably ain't gonna happen anytime soon!

Po~  

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2003, 07:02:05 pm »
Thank you Tracey for the update.

Atheorhaven, thank you for the updated pics/links Well done.

KF

atheorhaven

« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2003, 10:22:34 pm »
Actually, I just remembered there's one more piece of the puzzle needed for a TOS Doomsday Machine script idea.. a decent looking shuttlecraft, which it just so happens, I have.  

It's a retexture of Moon/Lansing's TOS Shuttle from Fleetdock 13 I got permission to redo a good while back.. and you can kind of see how Lord Schtupp's Enterprise, my retexture of the shuttlecraft, and my own original starbase all go nicely together..

I think we have all the pieces now except the scrip itself now...  

FPF_TraceyG

« Reply #57 on: November 13, 2003, 05:22:12 am »
Excellant, very good looking indeed Atha. Apologies for the delay again, have been away on holidays for a few days.

atheorhaven

« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2003, 02:11:12 am »
No problem Tracey, with everything else, I have also been busy.  The nice thing though is we have all the pieces for the script.  The Enterprise, asteroids, the Constitution, the MDM itself, a shuttlecraft, and the dead MDM.

Oh, and for the Tholian Web idea... there's also a Tholian Web mesh done as well now, but how to move it, or build it, or encapsulate a ship I have no clue.  That would, I think, fall under a script idea.. maybe multiple models (ala MDM and it's dead equivalent) and multiple textures.. minimal Web, half done, three quarters done, and complete.  That kind of idea.

My best idea so far for seeing the ship through the Web itself though right now would be to flip all the faces on the mesh model itself so that the web texture is displayed on the inside of the Web model.  But a better idea yet would be to make the Web itself translucent so that it appeared to encompass the ship, and I'm going to talk to a few guys about how to achieve this.

For this idea we have, the Enterprise, the Defiant, Tholians, a Web Mesh (complete).  But I was thinking of using Chris Jones idea with this as well.  He had FX5.BMP as a Starfleet figure instead of an asteroid.. what about something like that with a Kirk in a space suit figure?  Lots of stills from the show, and we may be able to get a tiny asteroid to appear at random near the Enterprise.  Or a box with Kirk's spacesuited figure on it, whatever'd be easiest to script.

And for one more TOS idea, we also now have the Space Amoeba available for scripts as well if anyone ever wanted to try a "The Immunity Syndrome" script.  Some form of energy dampening idea draining power systems..

Karnak

« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2003, 01:06:11 pm »
Quote:

Oh, and for the Tholian Web idea... there's also a Tholian Web mesh done as well now, but how to move it, or build it, or encapsulate a ship I have no clue. That would, I think, fall under a script idea.. maybe multiple models (ala MDM and it's dead equivalent) and multiple textures.. minimal Web, half done, three quarters done, and complete. That kind of idea.

atheorhaven,

The development team that I am a part of, may just need some Tholian web mesh models for our humble OP project.  If you could send the model files to me then I'll see about getting them to work in the EEK missions.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Karnak »

atheorhaven

« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2003, 01:58:47 pm »
Yup, I know about the project Karnak.. and no problems there with sending it to you guys for inclusion.  I'd be helping you guys more actively myself, but I'm trying to take a break for at least a month (hopefully before Christmas).

The one thing that I am trying to get with this though before I do is a translucent effect on the textures instead of opaque.  That way, we'll be able to actually see the ship inside the web, instead of just the web itself.

What I might also do is add a couple of Tholians to the structure itself..  it doesn't make a lot of sense having just the web there without a couple of Tholian ships in place around it.  More word as that goes along..

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2003, 06:39:36 pm »
Quote:

And for one more TOS idea, we also now have the Space Amoeba available for scripts as well if anyone ever wanted to try a "The Immunity Syndrome" script.  Some form of energy dampening idea draining power systems..  

Tracey G. Thanks for the update.

Regarding energy dampening effects try the SFC1 custom mission: The Quantum Factor the monster in that scenario does this frighteningly well.

If I could pick two SFC1 missions to get into SFC: OP they would be Repair Roundevous and The Quantum Factor.

Qapla!

KF

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2003, 12:50:33 pm »
OK, if the mission is NOT available, how about the new Doomsday Machine stats? I changed the PPDs to 4 Forward Maulers and gave it 50 Battery power and it does good damage but  I still can't keep the pesky shuttles/fighters at bay, lol!

KF

FPF_TraceyG

« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2003, 06:14:36 am »
Klingon Fanatic, check your email, I sent you the beta version of the Doomsday Machine.

Potemkin

« Reply #64 on: January 02, 2004, 01:17:59 am »
Is there a final version of this?

Thanks

Po~  

FPF_TraceyG

« Reply #65 on: January 02, 2004, 08:36:49 am »
Not yet there isnt, but eventually.
I used lots of AMD on the Doomsday Machine to keep fighters and shuttles at bay, in SFB, the monsters all had this close in defence system thingy that was supposed to destroy them anyway. I also used Heavy TR Beams instead of a PPD, but think the Mauler would probably look better.
It might be possible to get the DM to tractor the nearest ship as well, thus stopping the ship from entering its maw and killing it, whilst the DM continues to fire at it.

IndyShark

« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2004, 07:28:04 pm »
That should be very cool. I can't wait until you release the monster!

atheorhaven

« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2004, 06:38:47 am »
Cross-posting this from the models forum..

Okay, I'm releasing these while I'm working on v2 of the Constellation so that the v1 release is out for all versions of SFC now.  But here there are..

This is the SFC 3 version of the Constellation (version 1).  Download this one if you're going for the TOS TV look with your ships.. the v2 version will use the new SFB-like textures that Lord Schtupp has just released.. expect it in a few days

http://www.the-tcs.net/_hosted/atheorhaven/html/userfiles/ships/trek/sfc3/TOS_TDDM_constellation_SFC3.zip

For the "Tholian Web" idea..
This is all the versions of the Defiant from the TOS episode "The Tholian Web", SFC 1, 2 and 3.
And here's one thing that the SFC 3 version will do that the others won't..

Here's what I did for the versions of SFC without glows.  Tried an experiment with something that I was reading from Klingon Academy (was hoping that it'd work, but it hasn't.. at least not as far as I can tell).  It was just an experiment with animated textures in SFC.  At any rate, what I did was encapsulate the ship in SFC 1 and SFC 2 with an interphase bubble so that the ship looks a little closer to what it looked like in the show.  So the result was this:

Download here..

SFC1
http://www.the-tcs.net/_hosted/atheorhaven/html/userfiles/ships/trek/sfc1/TOS_fca_1764_sfc1.zip
SFC2
http://www.the-tcs.net/_hosted/atheorhaven/html/userfiles/ships/trek/sfc2/TOS_fca_1764_sfc2.zip
SFC3
http://www.the-tcs.net/_hosted/atheorhaven/html/userfiles/ships/trek/sfc3/TOS_fca_1764_sfc3.zip

So for those that got the full archive with all the versions at once (which is still how I like to do it because then it's a complete package to me), consider it a collectors edition.  

And that's another off the list... next should be the Tholian Web mesh, although I still have no idea how that'll be incorporated into the game.  It'll be some form of scripting wizardry no doubt.  

Please read the credit files, and thank Lord Schtupp if you like these.. without his permission, these'd not be possible..

« Last Edit: January 16, 2004, 11:52:47 am by atheorhaven »

Potemkin

Re: The Doomsday Machine - final???
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2004, 11:53:35 pm »
Cool...

Yes, monsters had built in anti shuttle/fighter weapons.  But there was a limit.

I agree on the use of the TRHs - and that the Mauler would look significantly better.  But how can you get the monster (computer) to keep charging the batteries?    Also, would you put more than one mauler on the beast?

Po~  

FPF_TraceyG

Re: The Doomsday Machine - final???
« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2004, 01:35:24 am »
If you place 50 APR on it, or something like that, it will always have excess power to keep charging the batteries.

Lt. Cmdr Worf

« Reply #70 on: January 27, 2004, 03:32:58 pm »
if you use 127 for APR and 127 battery, there should be more than enough power for the weapons

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #71 on: January 27, 2004, 05:10:17 pm »
RE: 127 battery power; I don't think we want to give it a Starblazers Wave Motion gun, lol. We want to give the ship a scare factor not a uber-cheese factor.

BTW: I have yet to be successful at getting the beta mission to work for me.

Tracey any chance you can release it as a skirmish mission?

Qapla!

KF

FPF_TraceyG

« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2004, 03:38:29 am »
I cant explain why its not working for you KF, I've sent the same files to a few others and got them to try it out as well, and it worked for them. Perhaps try adding in a few other missions to the mct file, since the one I use to test missions has a few others as well.

Potemkin

« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2004, 10:49:48 pm »
What is the latest status on this Doomsday Machine?

Thanks

Po~  

Ryker

« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2004, 09:08:29 am »
Hope this project's going well!

Any chance of converting this script (and DM model) to SFC3?

This would Kick ASS!!    

FPF_TraceyG

« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2004, 10:48:21 am »
Its still in the works, the script has to be re-written though since I lost the original. Just bogged down with other stuff at the moment, but its still hapening ;-)

Potemkin

« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2004, 10:18:05 pm »
Excellent!  Glad to hear it's coming along (...again).

Press on!

Po~  

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2004, 01:25:04 am »
Quote:

Its still in the works, the script has to be re-written though since I lost the original. Just bogged down with other stuff at the moment, but its still hapening ;-)  

Tracey,

Check your e-mail. I sent you the original beta script you sent me

KF

FPF_TraceyG

« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2004, 06:35:23 am »
Thanks KF... that'll help out things, much appreciated  

« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2004, 08:33:34 pm »
   Where is this in Pestalences OP Enhacment Pack V.1.04 in single player or is it only for D2.He mentions your scripts in there I am not sure where to look though.I would like to try that mission to see what it is like ant info would be appreciated.  

FPF_TraceyG

« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2004, 06:12:36 am »
Its not actually finished yet. I lost the source code and had to script it from scratch again.

« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2004, 12:46:33 pm »
    Thanks Tracey can I install this separtely into Pestalences Enhacement Pack V1.04 the one stickied in the D2 forum it is that time agian or can you tell us how to to get it into the single player campaign.There is another Idea have it set up like a skirmish mission that would be cool as well.Thanks agian and I am still wiating to get into Dip and Dipshiplist.  

« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2004, 07:52:19 pm »
  I would like to something about this please and thank you .  

Potemkyn

Re: The Doomsday Machine - status?
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2004, 10:57:12 pm »
Its not actually finished yet. I lost the source code and had to script it from scratch again.

What's the latest on the Doomsday Machine?

Thanks

8)
Po~

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2004, 05:14:22 pm »

Thanks

8)
Po~

Excellent question.

Tracey, if you need me to dig out the Beta again and send it to you again I can.

Qapla!

KF
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC
Commander, Task Force Kraag Dorr's Teeth First Strike Squadron

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #85 on: October 01, 2004, 06:27:06 pm »

Thanks

8)
Po~

Excellent question.

Tracey, if you need me to dig out the Beta again and send it to you again I can.

Qapla!

KF

Any news on a revised mission Tracey G. ?

KF
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC

Centauri Vaughn

« Reply #86 on: October 04, 2004, 06:15:42 am »

Jolan'tru Tracey,

I take it that this mission is a "type Meta"?

Offline FPF-SCM_TraceyG_XC

• Empress of the Empire
  • Commander
« Reply #87 on: October 04, 2004, 06:31:34 am »
The existing beta version is, yes. However, once its finished (and one day it will be), I intend to make a skirmish version of it as well, and possibly a few other variants to suit whatever needs as required. I have plans to do some of the other TOS episodes as well where applicable.
Captain FPF-TraceyG, Federation Protection Fleet

SFC2.net Admin member
SFC3.net Admin member
Voting member of the DGA
Member of XenoCorp, Squadron Commodore

Centauri Vaughn

« Reply #88 on: October 04, 2004, 09:01:17 am »
I have plans to do some of the other TOS episodes as well where applicable.

Would the "Balance of Terror" be on that list?[/b]

• Empress of the Empire
  • Commander
« Reply #89 on: October 05, 2004, 09:26:57 am »
Yes, what did you have in mind?

SFC2.net Admin member
SFC3.net Admin member
Voting member of the DGA

Centauri Vaughn

« Reply #90 on: October 08, 2004, 06:23:49 am »

A mirror Romulan perspective would be interesting for a "Balance of Terror" mission.   

If this is a type "Meta" mission, the conditions can be set based on the race of the hex.

Just an idea.[/b]

Offline Rod ONeal

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #91 on: October 13, 2004, 09:17:11 am »
A bit OT, but since "race specific" metamissions was mentioned... I've always wanted to see historical SFB missions included in campaigns. Especially in MP.
If Romulans aren't cowards, then why do they taste like chicken?

• Empress of the Empire
  • Commander
« Reply #92 on: November 03, 2004, 09:19:48 pm »
Just an update... I've got the first season of TOS on DVD and plan on getting the rest of it when its released here (in Australia) next month. My idea is to convert the episodes that lend themselves well to SFC into missions (the Doomsday Machine is an obvious choice, so is Balance of Terror).
Once I'm on holidays, I hope to make some progress, I've been busy with uni lately.

SFC2.net Admin member
SFC3.net Admin member
Voting member of the DGA

Offline ModelsPlease

• Retired Model Junkie
  • Commander
  • ModelsPlease
« Reply #93 on: August 18, 2005, 11:13:23 pm »
 BUMP for update Was this mission ever released ?

ModelsPlease, resident "Model Junkie" recovering from a tragic crayon sharpener accident.

• Empress of the Empire
  • Commander
« Reply #94 on: August 18, 2005, 11:48:49 pm »
Sorry, no, it hasnt been done yet. I was busy writing a new set of patrol missions and had wanted to remove all bugs first, then use them as a template for future missions (knowing they would be bug free). Unfortunately, they arent entirely bug free yet, however, all the bugs are only related to PvP... so, I may do this mission as a single player mission only.

SFC2.net Admin member
SFC3.net Admin member
Voting member of the DGA

Offline Stylsy

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #95 on: September 14, 2005, 05:11:53 pm »
Piping in with my support!

• Empress of the Empire
  • Commander
« Reply #96 on: September 14, 2005, 07:31:47 pm »

A mirror Romulan perspective would be interesting for a "Balance of Terror" mission.   

If this is a type "Meta" mission, the conditions can be set based on the race of the hex.

Just an idea.[/b]

Perhaps the "historically accurate" version (with perspectives from the Federation and Romulan sides), plus a "general" version which allows any race to be played might be a thought... Certainly the latter would be better suited to campaign play.

SFC2.net Admin member
SFC3.net Admin member
Voting member of the DGA

Offline SkyFlyer

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #97 on: January 03, 2006, 11:15:34 am »
bump
Life is short... running makes it seem longer.

"A god who let us prove his existence would be an idol" - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Offline SkyFlyer

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Commander
« Reply #98 on: June 14, 2006, 05:25:23 am »
bump bump bump bump
Life is short... running makes it seem longer.

"A god who let us prove his existence would be an idol" - Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Offline Klingon Fanatic

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #99 on: September 08, 2006, 11:46:35 am »
 ;D Speaking of the Doomsday Machine...

Anybody know if Tracey G has updated her Doomsday Machine sfc: op script?

IIRC its was a multiple race script.

Here's a Klingon take on it in a nebula... mwha ha ha!

KF
HoD Radjekk Vor Thruum
IKV Kraag Dorr
SuvwI' Qeh KCC

• Empress of the Empire
  • Commander
« Reply #100 on: September 09, 2006, 06:23:07 am »
Nice screen shot :-)

No, I havent done anything on this, I've been away from SFC for 9 months, I currently dont have VC6 installed, but dont give up hope.

SFC2.net Admin member
SFC3.net Admin member
Voting member of the DGA