Topic: The Doomsday Machine  (Read 47683 times)

FPF_TraceyG

The Doomsday Machine
« on: August 09, 2003, 11:25:27 am »
I've written a script that attempts to follow the storyline from the TOS episode, The Doomsday machine. I'm finding that everything works properly, until the DM is killed and becomes a Dead DM, and the mission crashes. As far as I can tell, its not even reaching the mOnDeath method called when its killed. I suspect that something peculiar happens with the Doomsday Machine, it doesnt actually blow up, but is replaced by a 'dead' version of itself (since the Dead DM is still there). This leads me to believe the game engine has a set of functions hard-coded for the DM, and when killed, a new 'dead' DM is created in its place, which is of course a different 'ship', and therefore, all the pointers I initialised to point to the old one, are no longer valid (which might explain why my mission crashes).
Has anyone written a script using the Doomsday Machine before? Did it work and is it just something I am doing? Or, has this problem been encountered before and there is a workaround for it?
The script was written for OP, by the way.

Rogue

Re: The Doomsday Machine
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2003, 12:31:44 pm »
Sorry if this is a silly question, however, is the path to the dead doomsday machine still valid? I think you are right in that it gets replaced by an entirely new model (mdd from mdm) upon destruction and can/will CTD if the .mod path or name is different than what it asks for. All this you seem to be aware of, but did you check the model folder and see if it stil exists and that the name is right? As I don't do mission API stuff it is the only check I can think of.    

FPF_TraceyG

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2003, 10:49:25 pm »
Yes, the dead model is pointed to correctly, I'm using FireSoul's 3.0 list. The 'live' model does actually get replaced with the 'dead' one for about half a second, then the mission crashes.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Tracey Greenough »

Rogue

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2003, 08:29:58 am »
Ya, I thought you knew that. It was the only thought that occured to me reading you description. "Gosh, could it be the model path is the culprit?" As far as what event the game wants that is missing I wished I could say. Don't you love being faulted by a machine for not using or including the right phrase? It's as though you didn't say "Mother, may I."  

FPF_TraceyG

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2003, 11:32:56 am »
Well, it was a thought, thanks anyway...

FPF_TraceyG

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2003, 01:40:35 pm »
Ok, well I fixed it.. it seemes to work if the Doomsday Machine team is a NPC team. Not sure if this is because of something else I have in the code, or if the DM needs that setting to work. But, its working.

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2003, 04:16:41 pm »
Quote:

Well, it was a thought, thanks anyway...  

Sounds great Tracey! Are your scripts available somewhere?

KF

FPF_TraceyG

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2003, 04:44:48 pm »
Yes, you can download them from here:
 SFC2 OP Missions
These are a set of patrols that will be used on the Storm Season II campaign for OP. I will, however, be making another recompile soon though. I dont have a download link for the EAW missions yet.

Rod O'neal

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2003, 06:06:40 pm »
Thanks Tracy. It's much appreciated. Looking forward to the others too.  

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2003, 11:27:00 am »
Tracey,

Is there anyway of turning off the 'you can kill a Doomsday Machine with a fighter/shuttle' ability? I can't tell you how many times I've used a FCV and had a fighter squadron fly through the thing hit it and kill it. Ridiculous!

Also if I were to get you a copy of FASA Trek's scenario "A Doomsday Like Any Other" would you be inclined to create a mission based or two on it? I lone Chandley class would be the star of the show out in the FASA OUTBACK (Gorn-Romulan-Federation Frontier). I envision part 1 to be rescue a small merchant/pirate ship carrying a control device.  Part 2 is ?oh my god, the DM is going to eat planet Ectair? if we don?t acquire/capture and ram a luxury liner down its throat (fails). Part 3 involves sending a boarding party on it to capture it before a Romulan squadron decides to capture it for themselves?

Qapla!

KF

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2003, 07:25:16 am »
Check out the Doomsday Machine here in this model pack:

I did a search on STMODDIRECTORY for "SFC Model Pack" and bam! I got the d/l link:

http://www.stcd.sgnonline.com/network/sfcmods.htm

I LOVE the Doomsday Machine included in this pack! Looks more accurate IMHO.

Now we have:

1. Stock Taldren
2. Stock Retexture John Stone
3. Azel's TNG version
4. this one.

Pestalence

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2003, 08:39:13 pm »
Tracey,

is it possible for you to compile it for a Skirmish mission?

or a Multi-player Mission for GSA?

I would love to create a custom shiplist based on your script and the model listed in the post above...

I wanted to take FS's Shiplist and add in the Planet Killer Doomsday Machine into an entry and giving it a high warp value,  moderate to low impulse, slow accelleration value, slow turn value, an extremely hard hull and high armor, 4 Fusion Cannons FA only, and tractors, No transporters and lots of marines (to prevent capture)

Now hopefully in game the model will not be able to Ram, and also, hopefully someone can help me thing of a way to where it will do lots of damage per volley.... while at the same time, trying to keep it looking like the TOS episode....

Thanks

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2003, 11:34:36 pm »
Speaking of Doomsday Machines:

http://208.57.228.4/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB11&Number=148729&Main=148723#Post148729

Something I've been up to...

Qapla!

KF

FPF_TraceyG

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2003, 05:22:58 am »
The Doomsday machine UI in the shiplist appears to give it special properties. It cannot take damage, it cannot be boarded or hit and run. It can be killed by 'anything' colliding with the 'maw' of the model, including a fighter or shuttle.
To get around this, for SS2, I asked Jeff to place 4 AMD12 on the DM. This kills shuttles quickly, and usually gets most fighters as well. I also asked him to replace the stock PPDs on the DM with TRHs (Heavy Tractor-Repulsor Beams),since PPDs dont work at close range. Alternatively, a Mauler might also work well.
I've almost finished the mission script, no more problems with it so far.
Here's a pic someone took whilst testing the game in mission for me.

As for other Doomsday scenarios, by all means, you can either post any info here, or send to my email address FPF_TraceyG@hotmail.com
Oh, I see no reason why a Doomsday script can't be written for skirmish either.  

Rod O'neal

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2003, 01:01:57 am »
Tracy,
  Something else that might, or might not, have something to do with the DD machine acting differently in scripts. when you run Dave Wessels' "shiplist checker" on the shiplist it returns this error

Unable to open model file "./assets/models/mdm/mdm_brk.mod" for M-DMS, line 1006
Unable to open model file "./assets/models/mdm/mdm_brk.mod" for M-DMM, line 1007
Unable to open model file "./assets/models/mdm/mdm_brk.mod" for M-DML, line 1008
Unable to open model file "./assets/models/mdd/mdd_brk.mod" for M-DMD, line 1009

There are no _brk.mods for the doomsday monsters. They use the mdd.mod as a _brk.mod, don't they? Maybe there's something coded in the game, or something needs to be added to the code of scripts, or both, to make the mdd.mod be called as the _brk.mod when the monster's killed.

I don't know if this info matters at all or not. I thought it might though, so I decided to pass it along.    

FPF_TraceyG

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2003, 03:03:10 am »
Interesting. When the Doomsday Machine is killed, it doesn't blow up, but reverts to the 'dead, Doomsday model. The above would explain that. I never actually looked at the pointers for the models in the shiplist to be honest.

Klingon Fanatic

atheorhaven

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2003, 05:39:29 pm »
Btw Tracey.. when you do this one up, you might also consider looking at this (for fun)..

http://www.themackiestuff.com/atheorhaven/html/userfiles/ships/trek/sfc2/TOS_TDDM_constellation_SFC2.zip

Did this up a while back and it'd go nicely with the new Doomsday Machine... it was done up for playing with the MDM scenario.    

FPF_TraceyG

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2003, 06:28:26 pm »
Ooooh, I've been looking for a model just like that one!! Thanks...

atheorhaven

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2003, 06:37:26 pm »
No problem Tracey.. and for proper testing, you should also grab Lord Schtupp's TOS Enterprise.. it's the one that I kitbashed this Connie from (with permission).  It'll expand the milk of the experience and help fill it all full of TOS Trek-crunchy goodness.

http://www.frost-works.com/schtupp/cruisers.htm