Topic: "'Starfleet Command' is Serious Strategy", says Startrek.com  (Read 17441 times)

E_Look

Re: "'Starfleet Command' is Serious Strategy", says Startrek.com
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2003, 11:29:54 pm »
Well, I'm still getting a kick out of SFC1 and I'll agree that this tardy reviewer's comments were right on target.  Of course, he had four years experience, I suppose.

Verroc

« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2003, 12:41:34 pm »
Nothing will ever top SFC1 on mplayer, its was out of this world! Its just all been downhill since then .  

TheSatyr

« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2003, 01:03:19 pm »
Looks like a slap at Activision...it gets fun when business partners have a falling out.

EmeraldEdge

« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2003, 02:31:59 pm »
Quote:

Nothing will ever top SFC1 on mplayer, its was out of this world! Its just all been downhill since then .  

The racial atmosphere, and single player options were top notch as well.  Unique screens for all races, ability to upgrade, officers, with we had some of those for SFC2 (that would make 2 the UBER game of all time!)  

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #44 on: August 10, 2003, 03:19:33 pm »
Yes, SFC1 had a much more "Trek" feel to it, and thats back when there was no doubt and no argument that it was 100% based on SFB, funny.

The racial factor, as well as the unique music and interfaces for each race was far superior to 2/Op/3.

But of course, for content it was sorely lacking. A nice Platinum version of SFC1 that incorporates all the EAW and OP stuff would rock.

Please, Im not sure what to think bout Interpuke doing it again... Of course, we actually DID get SFB based SFC from interplay, and they dont have a "One patch then up yer arse!" rule like craptivision.

HAND!

TheSatyr

« Reply #45 on: August 10, 2003, 03:23:01 pm »
Another interesting thing. When I was in Vegas I did that Star Trek Experience deal at the Hilton there. At the end of it they have this huge gift shop area.

They actually had SFC1 for sale there...didn't see any of the other SFC titles though.

3dot14

« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2003, 03:33:58 pm »
Quote:

They actually had SFC1 for sale there...didn't see any of the other SFC titles though.  

Could it possily be that the others have sold out?

Mr. Hypergol

« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2003, 05:32:10 pm »
It does make you wonder why a review like this would appear so many years after SFC1 was released.  But hey, it's nice to see that somebody still gets why SFC1 and even 2 were, "AND STILL ARE", so good.  It gives me hope that someday somebody will  make "Galaxies at War" with Andros and Tholians and an intense strategic level too.  This is the game we all really want.  To bad Activision didn't and still doesn't "get it".  

Magnum357

« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2003, 05:59:39 pm »
Ya, it sure was nice for Startrek.com to make that reveiw.  I think it is safe to say that this 4 year late reveiw is more then likely Paramonts way of fighting back at Activision.  And the best part of all about SFC1 (assuming anyone that goes to Startrek.com never heard of SFC) will want to try out the game.  Another added bonus is that the game only requires a P2 to run and easily adapts to many computer systems.  I've noticed in the past that many publishers purposely up the system requirements in order to force the customer to upgrade.  I will give Activsion credit here that they didn't try to do the same thing.  Even my "old" Pentium 3/600mhz easily runs SFC OP and 3 just fine.

rmahannah

« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2003, 08:17:48 pm »
I think "We" already knew this 4 years ago...  

Tremok

« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2003, 08:56:10 pm »
 I remember playing battlefest on the game demo before game release on Mplayer. It was such a blast.

I remember when the game went gold and started shipping.  We all huddled up in the lobby while staring at the windows waiting for the FedEx trucks to arrive.

I also remember that the Devs, with their flashy dev-only Mplayer names, would occasionally pop in and talk with us.

Ah, those were the days.  

NannerSlug

« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2003, 10:47:10 pm »
it was a clear slap in the face to activision. if sfc1 sales shoot off it will prove i gaurantee you that it will go to the very heart of the case that the game has a good trek fan base. remember here folks, its not SFC that activision is upset with. it is the fee they paid to license trek games.  it will be an interesting strategy. unfortunately sfc3 gets screwed again either way.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by NannerSlug »

TheSatyr

« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2003, 12:35:23 am »
Not likely,since SFC1 was in an area with Elite Force...the racks were full.

Tulwar

« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2003, 12:35:38 am »
Quote:

unfortunately sfc3 gets screwed again either way.  

Unfortunately?  

TheSatyr

« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2003, 12:37:00 am »
I just hope Taldren doesn't get caught in the Viacom-Activision Backlash.

ThirdLeg

« Reply #55 on: August 11, 2003, 02:33:59 am »
It's strange that they chose this time to release a review for SFC1. As some of you may know, I'm a lowly grunt at a Gamestop store (Software Etc. in this case). SFC1 was delisted from our system about a year and a half ago. SFC2 and OP were both delisted about a month ago. Why you ask? It's not because they weren't selling. It's because they were still shipping in the big boxes and our store is clearing out all of those. Hopefully this will mean Interplay will be re-issuing a small box version for retailers that have this same small box policy (like Walmart, Target, EB, etc.) . I know that Fry's and Best Buy still carry all three of the old Interplay titles though. Anybody have any idea if Interplay has any plans to re-release their SFC publications? I'd really like to know.  

Tremok

« Reply #56 on: August 11, 2003, 08:17:10 am »
 I like those large boxes. Bigger pictures, larger manuals, more stuff inside. I feel like I'm getting less for my money with those puny small boxes.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.  

Magnum357

« Reply #57 on: August 11, 2003, 09:32:54 am »
I disagree their.  I hate those big boxes.  Most games usually don't have much for manuals and such anyways, and with all that large space in the box, just moving the box around can damage the manuals and materials more then the smaller boxes.  I often wondered why the PC industry always made the boxes so big.

Tremok

« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2003, 10:20:41 am »
 I never had anything damaged with the big boxes. Even if they are sparse the design the box so that everything is firmly packed down.

And most of the games I bought had big manuals full of story, info, and techincal details. They deepen the game.  They were the size of small novels. I got packets of nifty advertisement and upcoming projects. Customer support sheets, note books.

Now I get small little boxes with a jewel case and some packette they try to pass off for a manual. If I am going to pay 60 dollars for a box then I want it to be big, heavy, and full of stuff.  

TheSatyr

« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2003, 01:04:12 pm »
Personally,I prefer a real manual rather then the "cliff notes" versions we get now in the small boxes.