Topic: The TRUTH about TALDREN and SFC3  (Read 22210 times)

Tulwar

Re: The TRUTH about TALDREN and SFC3
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2003, 06:21:15 pm »
SFC3 is completely Activision's falt.  Rushing the release of a game to meet the release date of a movie hardly appears to be Taldren's style.  Activision?  Their aggressive marketing strategy says it all.  Death to Activision!  Long live Taldren!  

ActiveX

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2003, 07:17:30 pm »
Quote:

SFC3 is completely Activision's falt.  Rushing the release of a game to meet the release date of a movie hardly appears to be Taldren's style.  Activision?  Their aggressive marketing strategy says it all.  Death to Activision!  Long live Taldren!    

Was SFC2 Activision's fault too?

Alidar Jarok

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2003, 08:30:31 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Was SFC2 Activision's fault too?  

No that was Interplay's fault

At least SFC2 got patched a lot quicker.  I've played SFC2 (unpatched) a lot lately, and I haven't noticed a single bug (I'm sure there are some, but I haven't noticed them.  Anyone care to tell me one?)

James Formo

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2003, 11:00:48 pm »
Taldren owns in my book. They back there products up. All games have bugs. Thats because there are a gazillion possible computer hardware configuations. No game will ever be bug free cause of this. Even so I still prefer SFC2/OP. It simply has more variety with races and I like the fact that each race has a unique interface.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by James Formo »

grave

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2003, 03:43:14 am »
shees! if i were to have listened to the fourms id of never got any of the SFC games( ive been playsing this serise sence SFC1 and i love the hole lot of em... cept the FPS ones.) now dont get me rong i do think that SFC3 has lots of bugs BUT i run an old 500mzh pIII with a nvida gforce 2 with 64megs and a hole wopping 256mgs pc133 and the games all work great. the only problem i have noticed is that SFC3 thakes lots of time to load and runs slow.... BUT i solved that by going through every model and delieting all the glow maps and vola game runs sweet! well thats my 2 cents worth

Phaser

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2003, 04:28:59 am »
game runs fine for me too but i caint log onto d3, when i first bought the game i was able but now when i log on to d3 it goes threw but i dont ever see any servers this has been going on for months now .

i do think sfc3 blows chunks in my opinion compared to sfc2 and OP which i love now that they have been patched great job guys,i might as well just take my copy of sfc3 and make it a drink coaster..

[Merc]-Phaser  
« Last Edit: August 14, 2003, 04:32:20 am by Phaser »

Holocat

« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2003, 05:05:11 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I have the most piece of crap machine possible.   500 mhz PIII, 256mb ram (and that's only P133 speed ram, hehe), Rage Xpert128 graphics card with only 16 mb and I never had any of these problems described above.  I dont even think I meet the minimum requirements for the game.  I just had to turn down all the graphic sliders and take out all the sparkly stuff and the game was perfectly playable.  So yes, it is your system.  I suggest you see how much space you have on your hard drive.  You should have soemthing like 700 megs clear on it to run correctly in my experience.  

500MHz....You are lucky, Lepton.  
I've tried SFC3 with a PIII 450Mhz and it runs good too.

And to ThatGuy, please tell me which is the BEST star Trek Game. And don't tell me EF, I mean a real Star Trek game not a FPS.
If you stopped complaining for everything, you would realise that SFC is one of the best Star Trek games and there is not such a free-bug game.
Have fun and stop complaining !!!!!!!!!!!

Mariano    

450Mhz? Gods, we'd have given anything for a 450Mhzprocessor. In my day, we played Starfleet command on a Commodore 64 my sainted father carved out of an old oak tree, and ye had to flip the bits on and off yourself. We used garden hose to connect it to our steam powered color TV.  

Oh really now?  I dreamed for one of those;  In MY day we used a Turing Machine, chiseled from stone, which we had to crank ourselves using our own sweat as lubercation for the axles and a shard of lodestone for the read head.  You would wake up for the day, load a tape into the 'feeder, crank the thing for seventy-two hours, take the finished tape off the second loop and read the results.  We THEN had to create oil paintings at a rate of sixty-seven oils a second, clean the tape with our tounges, and put the tape back into the 'feeder an hour before we woke up.

But you tell young 'scuppers that these days, and they won't belive ya,

Holocat.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Holocat »

Toasty0

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2003, 06:00:29 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I have the most piece of crap machine possible.   500 mhz PIII, 256mb ram (and that's only P133 speed ram, hehe), Rage Xpert128 graphics card with only 16 mb and I never had any of these problems described above.  I dont even think I meet the minimum requirements for the game.  I just had to turn down all the graphic sliders and take out all the sparkly stuff and the game was perfectly playable.  So yes, it is your system.  I suggest you see how much space you have on your hard drive.  You should have soemthing like 700 megs clear on it to run correctly in my experience.  

And to ThatGuy, please tell me which is the BEST star Trek Game. And don't tell me EF, I mean a real Star Trek game not a FPS.
If you stopped complaining for everything, you would realise that SFC is one of the best Star Trek games and there is not such a free-bug game.

Mariano    

450Mhz? Gods, we'd have given anything for a 450Mhzprocessor. In my day, we played Starfleet command on a Commodore 64 my sainted father carved out of an old oak tree, and ye had to flip the bits on and off yourself. We used garden hose to connect it to our steam powered color TV.  

Oh really now?  I dreamed for one of those;  In MY day we used a Turing Machine, chiseled from stone, which we had to crank ourselves using our own sweat as lubercation for the axles and a shard of lodestone for the read head.  You would wake up for the day, load a tape into the 'feeder, crank the thing for seventy-two hours, take the finished tape off the second loop and read the results.  We THEN had to create oil paintings at a rate of sixty-seven oils a second, clean the tape with our tounges, and put the tape back into the 'feeder an hour before we woke up.

Holocat.  

I always hated the is-the-connection-hot test. Lost some darn good techies in those days.

Best,
Jerry  

EmeraldEdge

« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2003, 06:22:21 am »
In my day we didn't have anything so new-fangled as all that.  We gathered a bunch of people up from the hills ,dressed them up like the lights in the sky, or "ships" as some called them, and gave them clubs and rocks of various sizes.  They would walk around and throw the rocks at eachother.  The big trouble was lack of "damage control" after a "critical hit", pretty much just did your "ship" in.  Sometimes it would leave your "ship" drifting aimlessly, having suffered irreparable damage to the "sensors" and "main computer".        

Tarrek

« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2003, 07:34:30 am »
Well said

ActiveX

« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2003, 12:02:14 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Mariano    

Holocat.  

Yeah, well I played SFB...

MarianoDT

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2003, 12:59:01 pm »
Quote:

shees! if i were to have listened to the fourms id of never got any of the SFC games( ive been playsing this serise sence SFC1 and i love the hole lot of em... cept the FPS ones.) now dont get me rong i do think that SFC3 has lots of bugs BUT i run an old 500mzh pIII with a nvida gforce 2 with 64megs and a hole wopping 256mgs pc133 and the games all work great. the only problem i have noticed is that SFC3 thakes lots of time to load and runs slow.... BUT i solved that by going through every model and delieting all the glow maps and vola game runs sweet! well thats my 2 cents worth  

I know the feeling.....I've deleted the glows of all ships in DW mod (the good thing is that now I can use the model tools with my eyes closed   ).........And then, of course, I backed up the files so I'm sure I wont have to do it again.  

Mariano  

Rod O'neal

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2003, 12:02:24 am »
Quote:

Quote:

Mariano    

Quote:

Quote:

Holocat.  

Quote:

Yeah, well I played SFB...  

It's nice to see that everyone has turned what started out as a pretty worthless post into something more usefull  

Toasty0

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2003, 12:14:52 am »
So I played SFC on this

You folks do remember that game, don'ch?

Best,
Jerry  

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2003, 03:16:44 pm »
ThatGuy,

Well you sure make a splash in the pool,
in your first dip don't yaa,

No matter,

Perhaps it would help,
if you listed the specific bugs/complaint that you came across eh?

I love SFC III,
but I love SFC II/OP better,

Why because in SFC II/OP one has a total of 18 starships,
in SFC III one has less,

Trade off, better graphics (e.g., planets) in SFC III,

Perhaps everything will get better in SFC IV?
Ever consider that?

GeneralWolfe

Quote:

This is my first post and it may get me banned, actually I expect it.  But if one person reads this, then I'll be happy.  Please remember that this is just an OPINION, but if you feel the need to censor, then do your worst, mods!  Just remember that I bought this game, played it, and loved it!  But the bugs kill it!  Really, I DO love this game, and I wish that it wasn't released the way it was.

Ahhhh, SFC3, Taldren's afterthought of a product.  SFC3 is a crashing, hanging, progression breaking, and overall buggy mess of a game.  I read posts by countless users like "Why is my game crashing?  Should I reinstall?  Format Windows?  Update drivers?  etc etc etc".  This is the solution to all of your problems.  STOP PLAYING THIS GAME.  Go play a real product that is programmed competently and does not crash every 5 seconds.

The funniest thing about these people is that SOMEHOW they have been TRICKED into thinking that their machine is to blame for these problems.  IT IS NOT YOUR MACHINE.  It is the GAME!  These people are playing SFC3 w/ Windows9x/XP/2K/ME, 512 MB ram, Geforce 4's, and other uber equipment.  Others are playing with lesser machines.  THE BUGS PREVAIL, NO MATTER WHAT CONFIG THEY HAVE.  And then these poor people post on this board asking for help, and the local FANBOYS tell them to "Reinstall", Install DX9b, Install older vid card drivers, and other POINTLESS suggestions; which just send these poor suckers on another wild goose chase.  To the few of you that can play SFC3 without problems, KUDOS.  You are a lucky few.

One more thing, don't go on about the state of SFC3 being activision's fault.  Ultimately the state of the game is the responsibility of the developer, NOT THE PUBLISHER.  Also, why do you think Taldren has bounced around between different publishers for its games?  Ask the fanboys, and its because the publishers sucked.  Ask anyone that knows anything about the industry, and they will tell you that its because Taldren's PRODUCTS ARE NOT UP TO PAR.  And where has that landed them?  With a second rate publisher like Majesco.  Admit it, it's true.

In closing, my words may hurt, but they are true.

Flame on, fanboys, and Taldren, Good Luck with Black9, I PRAY that you prove me wrong with a solid demo!  

The_Pelican

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2003, 04:08:35 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

I know the feeling.....I've deleted the glows of all ships in DW mod (the good thing is that now I can use the model tools with my eyes closed   ).........And then, of course, I backed up the files so I'm sure I wont have to do it again.  

Mariano    

You don't need to delete the glows if you have the latest version of the DW mod, I removed the stupid looking things myself....

David Ferrell

« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2003, 07:30:52 pm »
And I thought I had it rough!  Here's a picture of my current
debugging machine for OP:

Thanks,

Dave  

SFC Bennie

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2003, 07:51:00 pm »
Now *that's* fricking cool, Dave.

Scott Bennie  

ActiveX

« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2003, 08:44:49 pm »
Holy...

Doing SFC3 on a Genesis?

Lieutenant_Q

« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2003, 10:20:39 pm »
Coleco-Vision!!!  all right, ya know how to pick your systems.  I've got three console systems, two of which were bought before Computers were a household appliance, and the third, well we got that one b/c we only had one computer at the time and we were always fighting over it.  The Three systems are, Coleco-Vision, the Nintendo Entertainment System and the N64.  Of the three systems, only the Coleco-Vision works flawlessly whenever we ask it to, the NES works only after constant shifting and praying, while the N64 is prone to randomly shutting itself off in the middle of a game.  The only problem with the CV is that we only have one operational controller, and its about to give up a ghost...i hope i can find some reliable controllers shortly, it would be a shame to give up that wonderful system.

Anyway, back on Topic...

Taldren does have its flaws, ill be the first to admit it.  Unfortunatly the entity that bears the most responsibilty for the SFC3 fiasco is Activision.  Activision set an unrealistic release date, and then forced Taldren to submit every patch they wanted to send out to their play testers, who then send it back to Taldren saying that it still hasnt fixed everything.  If anyone else was running the show, Taldren would have released 3 or 4 patches by now, and the game would be 99% playable.  The Only real problems i have with it now is it taking up excessive amount of system memory upon the launching of a shuttlecraft or the dropping of a mine.  The Neutral Zone patch took care of the shuttle craft problem by turning shuttles into PFs and giving them only to a select few ships.  though the mine issue is still a problem, its not nearly as bad as a shuttle launch.  Frankly, i wish ATVI would let the patch get released, so that Taldren can begin working on the stuff that was cut out so that SFC3 would meet the publicity deadline.  And as for ATVI filing a lawsuit against Viacom...tell me, does anyone remember seeing ANY advertisments for SFC3?  the only one i saw was actually a preview for the game inside of a computer gaming magazine.  And if I wasnt actively looking for the SFC2:EaW patch 2036 I prolly wouldnt have even known to look for that SFC3 was going to be coming out.  I dont just wander in to a local computer software store and look at the newest releases, i just get the game that i was looking for and then get out.  If ATVI knows whats good for them, they will let the patch out before the middile of next month, or they will never be able to get it out.  Half Life 2, third week of September!!!