Topic: The TRUTH about TALDREN and SFC3  (Read 22202 times)

Dash Jones

Re: The TRUTH about TALDREN and SFC3
« Reply #40 on: August 21, 2003, 09:54:53 am »
Whoa, I didn't even know the the Jaguar possessed the specs for OP!  Doesn't it lack a 3d card!

Cool pic.  

David Ferrell

« Reply #41 on: August 21, 2003, 12:04:25 pm »
Just to make sure everyone knows, the picture was a joke in keeping
with the others of this thread.

Thanks,

Dave

Captain Ron

« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2003, 12:26:19 pm »
Too bad if it was designed for a consol at least it would work for everyone as they all would have have the same HW and firmware. Not to mention M$ would not be involved.

As for this thread...
I could have sworn that ThatGuy did this for SFC2 and OP as well. Same arguement just a few name changes. I still laugh at ppl that do this as expecting games to work prefectly on everyones hardware/software is a pipe dream. M$ OSs' have been know to not install properly 3 out of 5 times, and this to the fact that if you add HW to your system you can over-write DLLs and other important things that might not contain everything the last one had. M$ wrote a OPEN OS and anyone developing software has been known to dread this. Heck most ppl can not even read and understand the specs posted on the outside of the box, so big surprise here when it doesn't work.

I could go on but why?
Oh, here is one for you when was the last time you patched your OS?
If you haven't been doing that then you will have all sorts of troubles!

Dash Jones

« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2003, 01:29:07 pm »
Quote:

Just to make sure everyone knows, the picture was a joke in keeping
with the others of this thread.

Thanks,

Dave  

You were?

It seems to work great on the Sega Genesis I've tried it on...just had to make a few...ah...modifications...But works great...yeah...really...

Now if I could just figure out how to stop having my constitution class heavy cruiser stop looking like Sonic running around in the wilderness...oh well...at least the small critters moving back and forth slowly are all Roms...wait a sec...I play Rom...

Of course I'm joking around too

AdmiralFrey_XC

« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2003, 03:12:13 pm »
Well !

I've got ya all beat!

I recompiled the entire code into B.A.S.I.C. and machine language subroutines that run on my VIC 20 !!!

Well, I will admit, you have to have that smokin' 12 K expander cartridge to get the compiler to run, but hey!

I'd let ya'll know how it looked, but it's still compiling.

(Three hours later)

Still compiling.......

(three days later)

still.....compiling........

(three weeks later)

still........compiling.....wait , what's that smoke?

Oh.

Dogmatix!

« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2003, 03:37:23 pm »
Quote:

And I thought I had it rough!  Here's a picture of my current
debugging machine for OP:

Thanks,

Dave  

A-ha!  No wonder about the cloak/speed bug in .12!  heheh...how can you be expected to catch stuff like that on a Jaguar system!  Sega Genesis, at LEAST!  I have one of those laying around, if you think it will help...

Toasty0

« Reply #46 on: August 21, 2003, 03:42:14 pm »
Be sure and compile a 51/2" floppy for me too Frey!

I need it for my C64.

Best,
Jerry  

David Ferrell

« Reply #47 on: August 21, 2003, 04:46:53 pm »
Quote:

A-ha!  No wonder about the cloak/speed bug in .12!  heheh...how can you be expected to catch stuff like that on a Jaguar system!  Sega Genesis, at LEAST!  I have one of those laying around, if you think it will help...

Dude the Jaguar came out just before the Saturn and it sooo better then the Saturn.  Jaguar rulez!

Thanks,

Dave

MarianoDT

« Reply #48 on: August 21, 2003, 04:49:08 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

shees! if i were to have listened to the fourms id of never got any of the SFC games( ive been playsing this serise sence SFC1 and i love the hole lot of em... cept the FPS ones.) now dont get me rong i do think that SFC3 has lots of bugs BUT i run an old 500mzh pIII with a nvida gforce 2 with 64megs and a hole wopping 256mgs pc133 and the games all work great. the only problem i have noticed is that SFC3 thakes lots of time to load and runs slow.... BUT i solved that by going through every model and delieting all the glow maps and vola game runs sweet! well thats my 2 cents worth  

I know the feeling.....I've deleted the glows of all ships in DW mod (the good thing is that now I can use the model tools with my eyes closed   ).........And then, of course, I backed up the files so I'm sure I wont have to do it again.  

Mariano    

You don't need to delete the glows if you have the latest version of the DW mod, I removed the stupid looking things myself....  

Yes, I have the 4 files+patch version.
It seems that the 1 file is worth download. Excelent mod by the way   , and very difficult too. I can't remmember how many times I got blow.

Mariano  

Toasty0

« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2003, 04:53:17 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

I need it for my C64.

Best,
Jerry  

Would you be using a 1541 or a 1571 Disk Drive?  

Wow, I'm impressed. 1571 of course. bought the whole system for $199 at Toys-R-Us way back in...well, let's just say it was some years ago.  

Best,
Jerry  

James Formo

« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2003, 05:27:28 pm »
[quote
You don't need to delete the glows if you have the latest version of the DW mod, I removed the stupid looking things myself....  

I like the glows. Just started modding for SFC3.  Glows can be good.  They just need to be scaled down so they don't show thru the hulls and stuff.

Hey Pelican. I got your 5 pack of missions from SFC3. Big    There fantastic. I'd get your whole mod only my 56k is a deterrant     Have you got missions in your big mod that are not in that 5 pack? If so could you do up just a mission pack for us 56k ers     I 'd like to see a seperate small download with just your spec files and 9 race map as well. As I could add in my own ships or just fill in with some stock ones.

Back to SFC3 topic.  Try comparing SFC3 to SFC2/OP out of the box.  SFC3 will just get better and better cause of all the modders.  Anyways I like SFC3.  It looks way better than SFC2.  You can't really tell by screenshots either. The ships just look so much clearer. It runs perfect on my 800 mhz AMD with only 128 mb RAM.  ViperII card.  Only thing is sometimes the background scenery doesn't render.  I was able to modify the scenery models so that it works with my vid card.  

Like I said performance in game is flawless. Only thing is at the supply/refit/mission screen it putters and hangs. OP use to do that. I just installed OP latest patch and that is fixed.  I believe that SFC3 will get patched and one day be thought of as 1 of the best of the series.

A lot of what I read people whining about SFC3 in the forum just isn't true. Some said the ships banked too much.  Only the frigates bank a lot.  Get up to a DN and it will barely turn at all    

Really only 1 thing I say needs improvement. The AI just doesn't seem too bright. In its use of where it cloaks and uncloaks. Even its HET  and mine laying manuevers seem pointless.  SFC2/OP AI is much better- but that was thru a few patches.  I mean,  I took out a warbird without a scratch in a Norway aided by a Intrepid.  The only solution the AI has to even it up is outnumber your destroyer with 2 CA's and a CL.  Then its pointless to stick around.  

James Formo

« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2003, 09:50:19 pm »
Another point on the glows as I just found how to make mine more realistic.  Most people have the alpha on there glows at the default 255 or so. THis is ok for buzzards but for long areas like the length of a nacel.  Set the alpha at 55. This will diffuse it so you don't get that bright round ball look. You can actually increase the scale of the glows and lower the alpha and they look better.  I hav't found how to adjust the alpha in the modtools yet so I just make note of which groups I need to lower and open the gf in word and edit it there.  There thats my 2 cents or is it a nickel. I fully understand though, if you get rid of them so the game runs better for ya  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by James Formo »

AdmiralFrey_XC

« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2003, 03:04:47 pm »
Quote:

I need it for my C64.

Best,
Jerry  

Look, man, I've got 3 1541's and a 1571 daisy chained.

But of course, I still use my TAPE DRIVE for loading programs.

It's STILL...FRIGGIN.....COMPILING....

Dogmatix!

« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2003, 03:47:30 pm »
Damn..I remember my big arsed floppy drive on my Atari 800....and that infernal tape drive.  Let's see...the command to load a proggie from tape was...

"CLOAD"   ...and after 10-15 minutes, you'ld be rewarded with something like "program load failed."

...and there was nothing like "dubbing" tapes to swap programs.  That seems kinda funny in retrospect.  Needless to say, I didn't use my tape drive much.  

Everyone remember buying disks and using a hole punch to cut out a notch on the other side of the floppy so you could flip it over and double its capacity?  heheh...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Dogmatix! »

Pestalence

« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2003, 04:44:25 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I need it for my C64.

Best,
Jerry  

As toasty mentioned above, It's almost scary that we can remember those things.

Hehe My first was an atari 2600, and then my next was the c64, Eventually I got the C128, then an Amiga, etc.

Still have my Odyssey 2, used only once in It's original box.  

I still have my old Adam 8086 with a whopping 32K memory (counting the 24K expansion card), no floppies at all, just a cassette deck and a cartridge trey with a switch button..... now that was a machine !!!!! (NOT)

ActiveX

« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2003, 05:23:12 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I need it for my C64.

Best,
Jerry  

As toasty mentioned above, It's almost scary that we can remember those things.

Hehe My first was an atari 2600, and then my next was the c64, Eventually I got the C128, then an Amiga, etc.

Still have my Odyssey 2, used only once in It's original box.  

I still have my old Adam 8086 with a whopping 32K memory (counting the 24K expansion card), no floppies at all, just a cassette deck and a cartridge trey with a switch button..... now that was a machine !!!!! (NOT)

Apple IIc...

Green

« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2003, 06:19:50 pm »
43,362,810 more of these puppies and I'll be rockin'.  There is no screen, but I can kind of get a print out of what is happening.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Green »

ActiveX

« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2003, 06:38:14 pm »
Quote:

43,362,810 more of these puppies and I'll be rockin'.  There is no screen, but I can kind of get a print out of what is happening.

For some reason it always comes to this:

I played SFB...

B5er wanna be

« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2003, 10:10:22 pm »
Quote:

Does that come with Firesouls updated 3.0 shiplist?  

Green

« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2003, 11:03:09 pm »
Ah, crud ... I forgot about 3.0+.  Make that 73,362,810 more of these damn cards to go through ... but don't expect the models to be in there.  We'd have to cut down the entire Northwest to get enough cards.  As for Bonk's SFB mod w/ models ... no.