Topic: My first model in well over a year! Pics inside  (Read 10329 times)

Atrahasis

Re: My first model in well over a year! Pics inside
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2003, 09:41:23 pm »
PS Does anyone know the official REGISTRY NUMBER of the Burke?  

E_Look

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2003, 09:41:50 pm »
To be honest, I didn't like the Burke class design until right now, with your model.  And this is not to butter you, but truly, it's a pretty nice job!

Rogue

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2003, 05:52:50 am »
Quote:

To be honest, I didn't like the Burke class design until right now, with your model.  And this is not to butter you, but truly, it's a pretty nice job!  

You know, I feel like that quite often. Someone like Atrahasis or Anduril or Wicked Zombie or... (just assume this goes on for awhile) make another ubangy starship. And, as a fan and collector, if I offer glowing compliments I feel bad about it. Why? Because I think it reads like "If I appeal to vanity strongly enough perhaps I can weasel another model out of the given designer". Which really isn't the case. I've come to the conclusion that there are already more excellent models than I can find places for. As an example, that great little warbird that WZ did recently, I couldn't find a place for it without bumping what I'm using as a reference for that version. And that happens a lot. I hope these people just understand that their efforts are appreciated and many of them are fun people to talk to. No the library isn't as perfect as it could be. But it is getting to be pretty darned good.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Rogue »

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #23 on: September 05, 2003, 07:11:06 am »
Hi Atrahasis
    I can help you out there Burke class ships Start with ncc 301 range. Nice job by the way.
Looking forward to downloading both ships when your ready to release them  

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #24 on: September 05, 2003, 09:02:05 am »
Rogue,

Why not just be sincere in your compliments,
and then leave it at that?

Consicusly appealling to a 3D Modders vanity,
 is instantly detected by the Modder eh,

GeneralWolfe

Quote:

Quote:

You know, I feel like that quite often. Someone like Atrahasis or Anduril or Wicked Zombie or... (just assume this goes on for awhile) make another ubangy starship. And, as a fan and collector, if I offer glowing compliments I feel bad about it. Why? Because I think it reads like "If I appeal to vanity strongly enough perhaps I can weasel another model out of the given designer". Which really isn't the case. I've come to the conclusion that there are already more excellent models than I can find places for. As an example, that great little warbird that WZ did recently, I couldn't find a place for it without bumping what I'm using as a reference for that version. And that happens a lot. I hope these people just understand that their efforts are appreciated and many of them are fun people to talk to. No the library isn't as perfect as it could be. But it is getting to be pretty darned good.  

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by GeneralWolfe »

Rogue

« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2003, 12:03:55 pm »
Quote:

Rogue,

GeneralWolfe  

Why not? I'd rather be understood than not. I just think it comes across like that sometimes. I get such a charge out of acquiring a model that is perfect for a given class that I too find myself hoping for that next missing model for the library. So, I'd rather that the modeler in question is having as much fun making them as I do blowing them into little bitty pieces.  

This whole thing is about fun. It's a really good thing to have Atrahasis share a model with us again. If making models is more of a burdon than a labor of love then there is no reason to do it. Undoubtebly people like Atrahasis, Anduril, WZ, Ghost (and so on and so forth) are really important to this little community. They can do things that many of us can't do. But the bottom line is if there is fun to be had. Let there be fun!  

Atrahasis

« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2003, 12:32:36 pm »
Yes, it's fun to create fleets and share them, it's like trading collectible cards if you think about it, and you get to play with them too.  

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2003, 01:45:03 pm »
Speaking of collectible ships Atrahasis

What ever happened to the tri-nacelled D-10B pocket DN you were making?

I'd love to add that to the FASA to SFC collection along with the D-10B with C-7 command boom and C-7 warp engines, lol.

Qapla!

KF

Atrahasis

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2003, 02:16:06 pm »
Here's another pic of the Burke, it looks quite attractive now with the registry, phasers, and shuttle bay added. The shuttle bay is right above that orange triangle, it's a section of hull plating that I presume opens up by sliding to the sides or sinking into the hull.

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2003, 02:56:43 pm »
Rogue,

Hmmm, nice name dropping eh,
Atrahasis,
Anduril,
WZ,
Ghost (and so on and so forth),

GeneralWolfe

Quote:

Quote:

Rogue,

GeneralWolfe  

Why not? I'd rather be understood than not. I just think it comes across like that sometimes. I get such a charge out of acquiring a model that is perfect for a given class that I too find myself hoping for that next missing model for the library. So, I'd rather that the modeler in question is having as much fun making them as I do blowing them into little bitty pieces.  

This whole thing is about fun. It's a really good thing to have Atrahasis share a model with us again. If making models is more of a burdon than a labor of love then there is no reason to do it. Undoubtebly people like Atrahasis, Anduril, WZ, Ghost (and so on and so forth) are really important to this little community. They can do things that many of us can't do. But the bottom line is if there is fun to be had. Let there be fun!  

E_Look

« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2003, 07:38:41 pm »
I'm a more pedestrian type of guy... I'll take individual ships, too!  But fleets are welcome, only the d/l might pose a problem for many of us!  

Azel

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2003, 07:50:45 pm »
Atra, My appologies for not commenting earlier...
Great Models from a Greater Modeller
Awesome work/Theory(tech change)
Welcome back sir  

Atrahasis

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2003, 09:05:16 pm »
Thank you Azel, I like your designs as well, they are always unique.

I am also finalizing the details on the USS Bonaventure, seen here with my old Connie and Detroyat textures, she'll need her own set eventually:

How does everyone like the matter intakes? If you look very closely, I simulated an inner glow but with the "cage"-like frame, I wasn't satisfied with just plain red intakes.  

Atrahasis

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2003, 09:13:11 pm »
My theory is this: You needed bumpy hull plating like on the NX-style ships way back when but when shield tech became better and more distinct form mere "hull polarization" then Starfleet ships became basically smooth-hulled, hence the smooth white / light grey of the cruisers like the original Constitution. Hence, i think in the early era you can very well have "bumpy-hull" ships alongside "smooth-hull" ships, as long as the bumpy ones are not many and are on the way to being phased out or uprated.

There exists a precedent for this in TNG: In the second season of TNG they built that 4-foot long model of the Enterprise-D, much smaller than the 10-foot one, but the smaller one was better detailed and had bumpy plating all around, like the ERTL/AMT model kit that was released. Hence, we're supposed to assume that the Galaxy was always like that, with bumpy plates. HOWEVER, if you examine the Sovereign you'll notice that although there is patterning on the hull, there is no bumpiness, it is all smoooth. So, you can have these two kinds of hull plating in Starfleet without any continuity problems, in fact you can see it as two avenues of design for Starfleet engineers.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Atrahasis »

E_Look

« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2003, 09:20:26 pm »
Whoa!  This is the most  radical   design I've ever seen from you!  It's... interesting.

Atrahasis

« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2003, 09:40:45 pm »
It's not my own design, it's a ship that appeared in the TAS episode "The Time Trap". I meshed it a year ago, I just finsihed mapping it. Now all I need to do is detail the textures.

I figure people can use it for the Galactic Survey Cruiser.  

Atrahasis

« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2003, 09:46:56 pm »
Also finalizing is the Loknar with an engine upgrade! I'm wondering if I should put my Detroyat engines on it or the regular Constitution type.

Captain Ron

« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2003, 10:22:27 pm »
I really like the way this ship is starting to look!

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2003, 05:15:02 am »
Quote:

Also finalizing is the Loknar with an engine upgrade! I'm wondering if I should put my Detroyat engines on it or the regular Constitution type.

I'd suggest using the detroyat engines since its an older ship class and the detroyat design series would have been the
next in line So to speak. The next major retrofit  would be a full TOS loknar then the TMP.. The Burke design that you have can work very well with the Early Years module that SFB put out  no phaser 1 for the feds just phaser 2 and limited photon torps.    

Atrahasis

« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2003, 08:18:03 am »
That's interesting....could you postthe Burke and Connie weapons and engine specs for those "Early Years"? This info would help me determine a lot of design details.