Topic: My first model in well over a year! Pics inside  (Read 10297 times)

Atrahasis

My first model in well over a year! Pics inside
« on: September 03, 2003, 09:27:58 pm »

I was serious about the design similarities between the NX-01 and teh Loknar, which I percieve ot be a frigate design that evolved directly from the NX-01 design. Also, I think TOS should be re-thunk.....that TOS ships should have some kind of hull plating on them, Feds and Klinks alike. What do you think? As always, criticism is welcome.  

Atrahasis

Re: My first model in well over a year! Pics inside
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2003, 09:46:04 pm »

Marauth

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2003, 09:46:41 pm »
W00t - the big-A returns, hopefully... Anyway, the model:

It certainly looks cool and is a nice crossover. But for those of us who still do not accept Enterprise as canon Trek (yes we still exist) it is an anathema to one of the most original TOS designs mutated into this. In english I meant the model is kick ass but I don't like it don't look TOS. TOS does not need to be rethunk BTW because Enterprise is technically not Star Trek - they dropped the line from the title in a hope to attract new viewers so it has never been Star Trek. Just 'based on Star Trek' as the credits say Oh well.

BTW is there any chance at all we'll ever see that series Constitution you showed us well over a year ago? Or maybe even a new one?

Atrahasis

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2003, 09:53:07 pm »
Your comments are well-felt, I empathize with that viewpoint. The Ent-era ships basically look TNG, with the red and blue glowies and all. But it's a new slant on things is how I look at it, and in fact I think the "plate" hulls and the "smooth" hulls can co-exist side by side.....the original smooth TOS hulls you can say had a layer of thermo-paint on them or something like that, a design feature they had incorporated in that era!

Rod O'neal

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2003, 10:32:01 pm »
Great looking model, but who would expect less from one of the masters. I even like the direction you've gone here. It's better to make the best of a bad situation, I say. I, for one, wish more Ent-era models were being done. So far, the show hasn't grown on me, but there are some pretty nice ships to be had from it though. I know this isn't from the show, but it makes a good crossover piece.

BTW. Is there a link for it?  

E_Look

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2003, 10:35:51 pm »
Come on, TVL,

chill!

It's a nice model!  I know from your posts that you of all people do appreciate good art and good artists, as Atra does and is.  So what if it smacks of a B&B product.

Shoot, I never heard of FASA until I got on the original Simxtreme boards for SFC1 and BARELY ever heard of SFB (and never thought about it until I discovered SFC), and really don't care too much for the ship design from those respective games.  But I do have and use SFC 1 and 2 models of those designs, as the execution by many of our SFC modelers are, well, sweet!  

Atrahasis

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2003, 10:35:54 pm »
For the PURISTS I'm gonna put the original TOS nacelles on it to signify one of the later variants of this class, there are like 4 variants in all. I'm still finalizing it, the link should be available this week. I figure this model would be great as the Loknar MK I and later models would have the actual larger TOS engines.  

Hehheh but the hull plating stays ~
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Atrahasis »

E_Look

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2003, 10:37:47 pm »
 [quote... ]the link should be available this week...  

Just curious, where are they going to be linked to?  Is your site still active?

Captain Ron

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2003, 10:51:42 pm »
Looks Good Atra, nice to see you back.

As for the look it can be retextured, and probably will be.  

starforce2

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2003, 11:04:27 pm »
Great job. It's an NX-era loknar. To be honest it looks better as an NX era ship than any other era.

Chrystoff

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2003, 11:59:05 pm »
I like this. Very clean lines. Can't wait to DL.    

Captain KoraH

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2003, 12:13:27 am »
Ah yes a sweet ship. This could alsmost be that mysterious ship that appears in the opening title of Enterprise right before the NX01 is shown.  

sandman69247

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2003, 12:28:45 am »
Great job!!

Reasonable idea!

I'm not really a fan of Enterprise as a "Trek" series, I do like the show from a pure entertainment/scifi kinda thing. I can see TOS and later ships having hull plating from a purely defensive frame of mind. I mean, shield eventually fail, so if you can have some hull plating to absorb some damage, better survivability. With those nacelles, it definitely looks like a direct decendent of the NX-01, which is a doable *cough* solution to a sticky subject.

starforce2

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2003, 02:25:39 am »
any chance you'd do the earth ships seen in the season finale of enterprise? There's 3, But I think 2 classes.

Klingon Fanatic

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2003, 05:40:31 am »
Well done Atrahasis!

Nice to see your stuff being shown in the community again.  This is really and improvement over the original TOS FASA design. Have you considered reinforcing the  ENTERPRISE look/theme by perhaps adding a deflector in the front?

Thank you for sharing this.

Qapla!

KF

Bernard Guignard

« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2003, 07:24:47 am »
HI Atrahasis
   Nice to see you back to the world of modeling.   I like what you're doing here. May I make a small suggestion.
could you extend the hull plating to incorporate the Egg and Bridge the ship doesn't look quite finished at the moment.

Quote:

Other than that its looking really good in my opinion. I'm also looking forward to seeing some of your older models resurface
and some new ideas from you. Keep up the great work  

Thanks so much for sharing this with us and l look forward to conversing with you more in the future.  

**DONOTDELETE**

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2003, 08:04:26 am »
Hello Atrahasis,

Your new model is an excellent endeveaour,
the starship is TOP-DRAWER indeed,

I look forward to downloading it,

Take care,
GeneralWolfe

Rogue

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2003, 06:57:24 pm »
Is it just me or does anyone else get a warm feeling to see Atrahasis post a model again?

I think it be a cool little starship and will find a place in the Loknar family for my game. I'm still working on finding homes for FASA in the ship library and starships like that make it more interesting. And more importantly... fun! I'd still pay money to see how you pull off some of the stuff you do making texture maps. If I could do that I'd actualy make a stab at creating meshes.  

E_Look

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2003, 08:07:49 pm »
Quote:

Is it just me or does anyone else get a warm feeling to see Atrahasis post a model again?

I think it be a cool little starship and will find a place in the Loknar family for my game. I'm still working on finding homes for FASA in the ship library and starships like that make it more interesting. And more importantly... fun! I'd still pay money to see how you pull off some of the stuff you do making texture maps. If I could do that I'd actualy make a stab at creating meshes.    

Hey, one's got to do what one does best!  What was his self-description from his site, The Ark by Atra-Hasis, builder of ships?

Atrahasis

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2003, 09:32:49 pm »
Many thanks for the kind words and advice, and here's another NX-01 extrapolation.......the SFB Burke-class frigate! I figure I can use it as the basic F-FF. I gave it the NX-01 look because according to the dates this ship appears well before the Connie. Thanks to Bernard for supplying his personal diagranms of this ship which helped to establish shape, detail, and scale. Later on I will do a refit of it and bring it into the modern TOS era with the updated nacelles. But for now, so far that's two ships that have NX-01 styling that I've done. The Burke does not even ahve the registry yet nor the phaser emplacement markings.

On a personal note, I did not like the look nor the idea of the Burke until very very recently. However, the more I thought about it, the more the Burke design made sense to me. It is a small ship that would be ideal for a TOS-era small ship in a fleet where you don't have a lot of small ships. You just absolutely have to have a ship that is smaller than the Saladin-destroyer otherwise the fleet compostion does not make much sense. So, I decided it was time to make the Burke, but detail it in consideration to the very early era it first appeared in. The original MK I Loknar is also of a very old vintage, which is why I feel both comfortable and adventurous giving them this NX-01 era look.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Atrahasis »