Topic: Cloak: How Does Damaging Sensors Affect It?  (Read 8030 times)

Tulmahk

Cloak: How Does Damaging Sensors Affect It?
« on: January 18, 2003, 12:27:57 am »
I was wondering if anyone has done any experiments, or knows off hand if damaging your opponent's sensors limits their ability to scan for you while you're cloaked?

Common sense tells me that it would.  And if you destroyed their sensors it would eliminate their ability to detect you at all, apart from probes.  But common sense is often wrong, so I was wondering if anyone knew within a reasonable degree of certainty.  Could potentially be a new tactic for cloakers (not to mention a great application for Polaron Torpedos).  

Aenigma

Re: Cloak: How Does Damaging Sensors Affect It?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2003, 08:49:53 am »
Could be nice to run tests on. Use lvl3 cloaks to test (lvl5 is, as recent tests showed out, nearly undetectable by ac-scans). It might be difficult to find a victim though..... Maybe someone should test using multiplayer skirmish.

Aenigma  

EE

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2003, 10:16:35 am »
I have been detected at a range of 40.5 or was it 43.5 when I had a level 5 cloak with all legendary crew.

then again, I was detected at a range of 103.something with a level 1 cloak and newbie crew

kevlar

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2003, 10:36:05 am »
I was detected at ranges between 130 and  150,  with a lvl 5 cloak and legendary crew,  3 times by the same borg,  while at speed 15 .  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by kevlar »

Firestorm

Yes, Cloak is very broken, even dangerous.
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2003, 11:58:57 am »
Please see my recommended fixes that should be patched in ASAP.
Cloak Fix Recommendation  

Nephlite

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2003, 03:10:11 pm »
Hi Tulmahk,

Just want to say this is a really good thought, I was thinking along these lines recently.  

While I'm not sure if damaged sensors effect ones ability to detect cloak, I do think that a ships science officer is connected to the sensor sub system.  Thus if you aim for that sub system there is a good chance you will injure and put the ships science officer out of the fight.  With him out your opponent should have a much harder time locating you cloaked.

A good tactic I employ is stay behind the ship and wait for the player to jump to warp, they do this often if your cloaked for a while.  When you hear the sound of their engines preparing to warp, drop cloak and fire a full volley at their sensor subsystem to put their science officer out of the fight early on.

Mind you this works for Romulans best as they can hit ships in warp compared to Klingons.  

Nephlite Z`Ress  
« Last Edit: January 18, 2003, 03:23:21 pm by Nephlite »

Tulmahk

Re: Yes, Cloak is very broken, even dangerous.
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2003, 08:29:22 pm »
Quote:

Cloak Fix Recommendation    

I took a look at your ideas Firestorm, and I think you have some great ones there.

I'm just trying to deal with the current cloak situation.  

Tulmahk

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2003, 08:37:05 pm »
Quote:

A good tactic I employ is stay behind the ship and wait for the player to jump to warp, they do this often if your cloaked for a while.  When you hear the sound of their engines preparing to warp, drop cloak and fire a full volley at their sensor subsystem to put their science officer out of the fight early on.

I think I'll add this to my current arsenal of cloak tactics.  Your idea to do that is excellent, I think.  Kill the Blue Shirts!  

Your experience in using this tactic is tending to confirm my suspicion that attacking sensors is a good idea for cloakers.  I think I've been haveing slightly above normal success with the cloak ever since I started keeping my speed down while under it (tests by others at these fora discovered an association between being detected and speed, escpecially warping under cloak).  

Tulmahk

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2003, 08:38:13 pm »
Quote:

I was detected at ranges between 130 and  150,  with a lvl 5 cloak and legendary crew,  3 times by the same borg,  while at speed 15 .    

Were their sensors green, yellow, red or black at the time, if you recall?  

llama_6t9

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2003, 10:26:47 pm »
yeah, I did some testing on the sensors as a romulan. I found that after you destroy the sensors on a ship, they can't detect you while cloaked. At least I've never been. Also, the effectiveness of the probe is lowered as well. i.e, in  my non-patched version the probe has a 25% odd chance of finding a cloaked ship. That is added onto your current sensor capability. Destroy their sensors, it's still harder. I've had my say.  

kevlar

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2003, 10:36:48 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

Were their sensors green, yellow, red or black at the time, if you recall?  

they were yellow if i recall well.... I really felt stupid when the guy told  me ; 147 range, speed 15......  God..... I was at 147 distance--- no one should be capable of detecting a cloaked ship travelling at that distance.  

just for the record the max speed of the ship was above 40, so 15 is even less than 1/2 impulse
« Last Edit: January 18, 2003, 10:38:55 pm by kevlar »

Aenigma

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2003, 06:30:06 am »
You can be detected on long range in two ways.
a: you are probed (almost always detection)
b: you warp (recent testing shows that using warpdrive greatly increases detection chances, even with a lvl5 cloak)

But if you fight borg, be careful, they sometimes can see you, even at long range.
Aenigma  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Aenigma »

Tulmahk

Cloak: How Does Damaging Sensors Affect It?
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2003, 12:27:57 am »
I was wondering if anyone has done any experiments, or knows off hand if damaging your opponent's sensors limits their ability to scan for you while you're cloaked?

Common sense tells me that it would.  And if you destroyed their sensors it would eliminate their ability to detect you at all, apart from probes.  But common sense is often wrong, so I was wondering if anyone knew within a reasonable degree of certainty.  Could potentially be a new tactic for cloakers (not to mention a great application for Polaron Torpedos).  

Aenigma

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2003, 08:49:53 am »
Could be nice to run tests on. Use lvl3 cloaks to test (lvl5 is, as recent tests showed out, nearly undetectable by ac-scans). It might be difficult to find a victim though..... Maybe someone should test using multiplayer skirmish.

Aenigma  

EE

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2003, 10:16:35 am »
I have been detected at a range of 40.5 or was it 43.5 when I had a level 5 cloak with all legendary crew.

then again, I was detected at a range of 103.something with a level 1 cloak and newbie crew

kevlar

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2003, 10:36:05 am »
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by kevlar »

Firestorm

Yes, Cloak is very broken, even dangerous.
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2003, 11:58:57 am »
Cloak Fix Recommendation  

Nephlite

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2003, 03:10:11 pm »
Hi Tulmahk,

Just want to say this is a really good thought, I was thinking along these lines recently.  

While I'm not sure if damaged sensors effect ones ability to detect cloak, I do think that a ships science officer is connected to the sensor sub system.  Thus if you aim for that sub system there is a good chance you will injure and put the ships science officer out of the fight.  With him out your opponent should have a much harder time locating you cloaked.

Mind you this works for Romulans best as they can hit ships in warp compared to Klingons.  

Nephlite Z`Ress  
« Last Edit: January 18, 2003, 03:23:21 pm by Nephlite »

Tulmahk

Re: Yes, Cloak is very broken, even dangerous.
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2003, 08:29:22 pm »
Quote:

Cloak Fix Recommendation    

I took a look at your ideas Firestorm, and I think you have some great ones there.

I'm just trying to deal with the current cloak situation.  

Tulmahk

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2003, 08:37:05 pm »
Quote:

I think I'll add this to my current arsenal of cloak tactics.  Your idea to do that is excellent, I think.  Kill the Blue Shirts!  

Your experience in using this tactic is tending to confirm my suspicion that attacking sensors is a good idea for cloakers.  I think I've been haveing slightly above normal success with the cloak ever since I started keeping my speed down while under it (tests by others at these fora discovered an association between being detected and speed, escpecially warping under cloak).