Topic: SETI Thread Part III  (Read 185568 times)

Taldren_Admin

SETI Thread Part III
« on: October 14, 2003, 12:24:59 pm »
And we're off....

Gambler

Re: SETI Thread Part III
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2003, 12:31:39 pm »
Quote:

And we're off....  

And that is news to whom?  

Gambler

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2003, 12:33:47 pm »
Drat, if not for Farenheit, I would have had the last post in the second thread.  

DreadlordGW

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2003, 01:14:58 pm »
Ok everyone post away.

Gotta get this thread above the old ones

jualdeaux

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2003, 01:22:49 pm »
Heh. It seems that we can only get so many posts before this version of the UBB stops the thread from working well.

Sethan

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2003, 01:59:59 pm »
One of the last posts I made in Seti Thread II was a response from David Anderson - the power that be behind BOINC - to a note I sent him.

My original message was as follows:

Quote:

The ability of programs like SetiQueue to be a single point of contact for many Seti clients is important to maximum work unit production.  Many of the machines currently processing Seti work units do not have an internet connection, but connect to a single machine that does.

Remove the ability of SetiQueue to act as that single point of contact, and you also remove all of those non-internet connected machines from the pool.

His response:

I think that an HTTP proxy would serve the same purpose.
I added some text to the "transition" page to this effect.
-- David  

The transition page of which he speaks is here:

http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/boinc_transition_plan.html

and his address (should anyone have an issue with his response) is:

davea@ssl.berkeley.edu

Cyberkada

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2003, 02:46:32 pm »
Having said that non-Internet connected machines will not have access, I'm through after SETI I.  Most of my machines are behind a fairly ugly milnet firewall and have no access individually.  SETI is one of those banned Internet programs.  SETI can run but can not receive/ send W/Us.

Oh well, I guess I will have to be Lord God for Life for SETI I for Taldren.  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Cyberkada »

Sethan

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2003, 03:04:17 pm »
Like I said - if you have an issue with it, send Mr. Anderson a note explaining what the issue is and why.

digi

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2003, 06:01:06 pm »
Although I only use 3 machines, 2 of these will be affected by Seti 2.  I've emailed Mr. Anderson about the issue as you suggested.  Hopefully if he gets enough of these some action may be taken to solve this issue.

IKV Nemesis D7L

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2003, 06:37:17 pm »
Programs like SetiQueue and SetiDriver were created to handle problems with non internet connected machines by individuals.  I would be very surprised if the same did not occur with BOINC.  So give it time.  

DreadlordGW

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2003, 06:42:50 pm »
This post brought to you buy the letter A

As in We need a BOINC Setiqueue

IKV Nemesis D7L

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2003, 07:10:00 pm »
Since it looks like the old threads are going to be "unstickied" I think it may be useful to post a link to them.  Here they are.

Link to Seti thread I
Link to Seti thread II  

Mentat Jon

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2003, 07:25:05 pm »
89) Mentat Jon   120 2530 hr 27 min 21 hr 05 min 13.5 sec Sat Sep 27 13:31:58 2003 United States

the slow creep to the summit continues!!!!  

jualdeaux

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2003, 08:33:30 pm »
Well, due to two factors, I'm going to stop running seti, at least until we get another group going on another project. Lately, I've been having trouble paying bills so I'm turning off everything non-essential to try to drive down my electric bill. The other is just that this part is ending and it looks like there will be a lull between this one and the next so this is a good time to quit.

I just can't believe how fear this relatively small group has gone. We went from nothing to one of the top 200 groups in the world in just a short time. Does anyone know how long this group has be in existence and how long the SETI project has been going?  

Dogmatix!

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2003, 10:00:46 am »
Well, I've been in it since like May of 1999...sadly, most of my time as a member has been on a slow machine.  Most of my total WUs have some since I set up on new rig in February...lol.

Gambler

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2003, 10:19:37 am »
I joined the group in October 1, 2001, I believe when Erik first posted about it or shortly after.  It may have been a semi-private group before that.

It is certainly amazing when you consider that of our little group, I am number 1,948 in the world, Raven is 167 and Cyberkada is #143.

Go us!

Dogmatix!

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2003, 10:22:00 am »
Yeah...I joined our group shortly after it was set up, too.  In fact, i'm pretty sure I was one of the first five or so people.  When I joined, I was ranked #2 in our group with somewhwere around 1500 WUs...lol...

Gambler

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2003, 10:24:02 am »
So who gave us less than 5 stars!

I say we hunt them down and give them the biggest wedgie they've ever felt.

Toasty0

« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2003, 04:29:35 pm »
Seems someone has decided it is their mission to go around giving any thread started by an Admin or Mod 1 star. Just shows that jellyfish can use a keyboard and the internet too...  
« Last Edit: October 15, 2003, 04:30:24 pm by Toasty0 »

Cyberkada

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2003, 04:19:52 am »
I'm outta here until Atrahasis - the Islamic terrorist supporter is banned and VoidWar is reinstated.  I'm tired of this terrorist supporter continually getting the "bye" while others are banned.