Topic: Bored Again  (Read 15042 times)

WickedZombie45

Re: Bored Again
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2003, 03:28:34 pm »
Quote:

This may be partly why they are suggesting schooling where you would learn how to make lower poly models.

Somehow I doubt a modeler would need to go to school to make their ships less detailed as everyone starts out making low res ships. It's kinda like sending someone to learn how to crawl even though that's the first thing they did as a baby (well, next to crying for their pacifier). This isn't exactly a 'set in stone' art form where once you make something it can't be changed or undone. Making a 1000 polygon model is damned easy - you just have to model the basic shape of the object and then modify it accordingly. If you go over the set limit, you can just chop off more parts.  

Azel

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2003, 03:35:43 pm »

Quote:

The thing is. Game companies have requirements and restrictions regarding poly counts. ie: SFC3 had a 1000 poligon limit per model with exception of the Borg cube (1500). They also limit the size and number of bitmaps. Modelers in the forum ships look better largely because they are higher poly and use multiple bitmaps. This may be partly why they are suggesting schooling where you would learn how to make lower poly models. Plus if they have other modelers and they all have met school requirements, it would then be odd for them to hire someone without them. Not too mention that it would be easier to communicate with modelers using max if you are familiar with all operations and terminology max uses.

Your stating that you are going to school for science also implies that that is more important to you. If you are serious about a career in 3d you might want to consider formal training in the software that gamers are using. It might be only a 1 year program that is necessary, which perhaps you could squeeze in between your other courses.

I was not reffering to Video games man
I was talking about designing starships for Paramount...or another place ILM etc...I am a conceptual designer...it is what I do...if some says "hey I need a monster/ship for a film", I am your man...If you want something that you have never seen before(please excuse my ill-modesty here guys...sorry) I am your man.
I study science because it is what i like..Art is however my life..I didn't persue it in college because it was less important to me...but because I cannot stand art classes.  Unless I am being payed I will not be told what to draw, sculpt or paint anything and be judged on it if I am not in the mood(if that makes sense).
I use science in My art...iT has helped me in Far more and many ways man...

But thanks for the comment    

James Formo

« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2003, 03:41:11 pm »
It may just be the standerd. Where schooling is required, not just for knowing all the terminology and techniques but also to see if you are serious enough to jump through some 'hoops' in order to realize your goal.  

I  once took a basic art course in painting, It wasn't my major. We had an assignment and we were required to use a certain color. I used a different color, saying that art is expression and color should not be assigned.  I ended up with a C. The instructor felt that we needed the fundenmentals before we could express ourselves. I am not stating my beliefs on this subject. Just pointing out that a prospective hirer might be looking at things from a different perspective.  They may be looking for an artist that can follow rigid requirements. They may have an large say in what the finished product must look like and may not allow the artist to vary much from there required end product.  They may just have a school requirement and thats the bottom line. An artist could always learn from instuction regardless of how advanced there skills. If they feel they can not. Its probably that there ego has gotten too big.

This was posted before your last post Azel, Just after WZ45's. So it might seem that it doesn't fit your last comments, that is why. And I did not realize you were referring to strictly design so my bad there. Your designs definitely rock so best of luck in your effoerts along those lines.  I thought you were trying to get into 3d modeling.  

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by James Formo »

sandman69247

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2003, 03:58:08 pm »
You hit the nail on the head, James. I read  a magazine called "Computer Arts", an UK publication, and it has articles dealing with breaking into the business of graphic design etc. One of the main things to remember, is that when you are hired by a company, or freelancing, the client will provide a brief, explaining what they want; the mag even has demonstrations, where they send a brief to 3 or 4 artists, then they show the thought processes involved and the final outcome...usually completely different but still getting the message across.

Azel, for you I would say to stay freelance and design your stuff. You can sell original designs and artwork...it's just ST related stuff that is off limits. I know I would love to be able to do that myself, but I'm more technically sound that artistically. Show me a design and I can probably do a good job recreating it, but designing my own stuff...well let's just say the few I have done were baaadddd, really baaaddddd.

Azel

« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2003, 03:59:13 pm »
Its cool man...right now I'll take what I can get  

Smiley

« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2003, 07:42:37 pm »
BUMP...(before Azel does it for me, lol)

Azel

« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2003, 08:37:46 pm »

Quote:

BUMP...(before Azel does it for me, lol)  

Trying to be Funny...LOL
well it worked lol
I should have some dominion ships by friday  

Smiley

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2003, 09:15:21 am »
Thunderchild over at BCU wants to convert this to BC once it is done, is that ok with you Azel?
Also I was wondering; what's the history on this ship? The unusual nacelles that it has - is there any special reason for them to be shaped like this? I need some ideas so that I can texture them - I take it from the name that this has some connection to time travelling?

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Smiley »

Kaenyne

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2003, 09:27:40 am »
Yeah, a time travelling starship would be cool. Sounds like the premise of the next show, Star Trek: Tempest.

I know I've harped on this before, so snack me uip side the head if it feels good, but I think you and Azel are more than ready to take on the Titan Class from ussmiranda.com. Her primary hull looks somewhat like the Tempest, but the secondary hull and nacelles are more traditional. Just passing that along...(slinks away).

Azel

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2003, 10:17:21 am »
Considering that practically every ship in ST can Time Travel( with warp and a star), I don't know if Time travel would be the way to go(but I am always open to the possibity)...the warp pylons were designed to handle enormous stresses in HET(high enegy turns), and warp manuvers.
As for possible Transwarp , Slipstream, or even Space Folding..that maybe more fesable...I don't know
LOL

She's still looking awesome man  

Smiley

« Reply #30 on: October 24, 2003, 03:51:42 pm »
Hi Azel, I umm...have a request....

OK here goes; Can I please Sir change the nacelles on the Tempest to something a little easier to say...um...like this?

Azel

« Reply #31 on: October 24, 2003, 03:56:10 pm »
Um....no...sorry man, I really like the nacelles,,,can you model a newer version to make it easier...but keep the similar aspects???  

Smiley

« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2003, 03:57:51 pm »
Ok, no problem

Can you make a quick diagram of what you imagine the nacelles to look like when textured?
I'm not even sure where the Warp Field Grilles go on the current ones!

Azel

« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2003, 04:01:00 pm »
ok man gimmie a sec...  

Smiley

« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2003, 04:02:49 pm »
Thankyou!!!! Thankyou!!!! Thankyou!!!!

Azel

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2003, 04:18:25 pm »
Try this Smiley
You may have to work with the mesh for some details though

Smiley

« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2003, 04:24:10 pm »
WHOA!
That's pretty funky!
Any special reason for the blue bussards, just out of interest?
Thanks for being so speedy

Azel

« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2003, 04:25:15 pm »
I lIke Blue

And I always Come to my friends when they call me  

Smiley

« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2003, 05:31:14 pm »
Thanks Azel, I hope that this is getting closer to what you'd like to be (I still have to add the bits on the bottom and the TOS styled details)

Azel

« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2003, 06:14:03 pm »
Very cool man !!!
Just remember to keep that cross section shape and overall shape of the original