Topic: The "SFC3 Community TOS Mod" project thread  (Read 22966 times)

Captain KoraH

Re: The "SFC3 Community TOS Mod" project thread
« Reply #100 on: October 23, 2003, 01:43:36 pm »
ActiveX has a point. There are not enough Romulan and Klingon TOS ships out there. Perhaps we need to include FASA TOS ships to fill the ranks. I think retexturing all the Klingons and Roms to look like the TOS Warbird and D-7 would make it really feel like a professional mod. I just finished the TOS sounds mod last night. I actually impressed myself with this one, and that's a hard thing to do  

Also, I think I'll continue to stress that I think this should be a straight TOS mod. All races should use the same photon torpedo, with the exception of the Romulans who should use plasma. The Klingons and Roms should both use the R-Disruptor, as nothing like the Klink one existed in TOS. The Q-torp, K-Torp, Myotronic and  Pulse Phaser should not be available. But, for purely gameplay reasons, I suggest we leave the tachyon beam in the game.  

ActiveX

« Reply #101 on: October 23, 2003, 01:48:33 pm »
Maybe the Tachyon Beam should be moved to deflector dishes as a special weapon...

Any way to do that without gimping the user?

I_Mudd

« Reply #102 on: October 23, 2003, 02:00:19 pm »
Interesting Idea. I particularly like the Borg/ Monster replacement ... but why not include all the "Hostile Guest Aliens" into the mix as well ( i.e. Kahn, Mirror Universe, Gorn, Tholians, Orions, Kzinti - animated series, etc.).

Actually, this gives me an idea. If you took a simple cube, tipped it to the side a little, Added a colorful texture-completely light mapped all over, then added a glow around the whole thing, ... wouldn't that look alot like the First Federation craft, and a few other TOS "Bad guy-of-the-week"?

Now if I could just figure out how the heck to add a space ameoba ...

Food for thought.

I_Mudd.

NannerSlug

« Reply #103 on: October 23, 2003, 02:05:02 pm »
active - you missed my point.. korah was looking for models.. my mod has a good number of models.. not enough for all races, but it has a lot of tos stuff to at least begin with.

ActiveX

« Reply #104 on: October 23, 2003, 03:11:25 pm »
Oh yes, the models...hehe...

DH123

« Reply #105 on: October 23, 2003, 03:15:16 pm »
It's called OP, early era    

Towelie

« Reply #106 on: October 23, 2003, 04:08:30 pm »

The First Federation was a giant sphere (yes, I'm home early).

Towelie

« Reply #107 on: October 23, 2003, 04:31:13 pm »

Do not worry about lack of ships, I will do my best to help and we might get some help from those who dwell in the model forums.

TOS ships are pretty basic in design for non fed races (low budget for them, heheh).

Let me compile these together and see what I am missing.

Khalee

Re: The "SFC3 Community TOS Mod" project thread *DELETED*
« Reply #108 on: October 23, 2003, 08:16:43 pm »
Post deleted by Khalee

Towelie

« Reply #109 on: October 23, 2003, 09:12:52 pm »

I'm still wondering about the Borg. Of course we're going to use Roms and Klinks, but what to do about the Borg (besides changing my LONG overdue avatar)?

Captain KoraH

« Reply #110 on: October 23, 2003, 11:05:04 pm »
Here are my reasons for wanting the Borg to be monsters and not ships:

In SFC3...
1. Any race placed in the Borg slot will not bank when they turn.
2. Anything in the Borg slot will regenerate it's hull, like the Borg. This seems to work nicely for monsters, not so nice for Gorn or Mirak ships.

There are a lot of other reasons that relate soley to human played ships in races that replace the Borg, like not paying for repairs and such, but I think whatever we do with the 4th race it should be made non-playable regardless. Actually, I think it may be the best idea to make ONLY the Federation playable. I could do a lot more with the Fed music then...

Towelie

« Reply #111 on: October 24, 2003, 09:57:35 am »

Okay, no TOS Borg ships (would be cardboard box due to budget )

Now we just need some nice monsters like, the doomsday machine, cystaline entity maybe (I know TNG). And of course, a giant ameba, maybe the Nomad probe.

I've got quite a few TOS ships already to convert over. I need to look at Nannerslug's mod, but I haven't ran accross it yet. I'll download it tonight when I get back and mess with it.

We need to compile a wishlist and I will try to put it together. I am having trouble with some models, like old transport ships, and space station K-7. The links to them are dead and I misplaced those models

NannerSlug

« Reply #112 on: October 24, 2003, 10:15:04 am »
you can get my mod at www.starfleetcommand3.net

Captain KoraH

« Reply #113 on: October 24, 2003, 12:48:52 pm »
Towelie, try posting on the model forums, there are some guys there that have a collection of everything lol!

HoratioHornblower

« Reply #114 on: October 24, 2003, 02:11:07 pm »
I'm not a modder, rather an avid fan and user of some of the SFC mods ... but I'd like to definitely see this TOS mod being discussed! I urge the talented modders out there to collaborate and blow us away with the ultimate TOS mod!

Towelie

« Reply #115 on: October 24, 2003, 06:46:20 pm »

They need a sticky thread over there that can be updated to keep current links to there collections. I've posted our request. I know we're going to get some great ships. They make ships far better than in the game. But of course that's because they use high polygon models that some of the lower end users cannot use due to lack of hardware.

TOS ships definitely have a nice classic style. Back when I was still doing NZ-OP, I wanted to do a TOS, TMP and TNG style campaign since it uses different eras. But back then, I figured nobody would use it since broadband wasn't as common as it is today. Plus, I think Chris did one of those before or something similiar and not enough people played it (loosers didn't know what they're missing) (J/K).    

Captain KoraH

« Reply #116 on: October 25, 2003, 05:57:31 am »
Now wee need to settle on some nice space monsters for the Borg slot. We don't need many, maybe 5 different ones. We can replicate the same monsters in the specs and just make the models bigger or smaller, and change the colors of the textures a bit to simulate "similar species" or something. Anybody know how many space aliens the Enterprise encountered?

Sirgod

« Reply #117 on: October 25, 2003, 11:23:30 am »
If I may make a suggestion and It's only that, How about using the Borg Role for the Furies, from the novels. I've wanted to Fight against them for along time, and the concerns you had about Regeneration would fit that race Perfect. Of course they are not cannon, But a fascinating Race to want to Play.

Of course some new models would have to made for there ships, but I'll happily send a copy of the books to towlie If he has the time.

Stephen

Towelie

« Reply #118 on: October 25, 2003, 06:08:20 pm »
Quote:

If I may make a suggestion and It's only that, How about using the Borg Role for the Furies, from the novels. I've wanted to Fight against them for along time, and the concerns you had about Regeneration would fit that race Perfect. Of course they are not cannon, But a fascinating Race to want to Play.

Of course some new models would have to made for there ships, but I'll happily send a copy of the books to towlie If he has the time.

Stephen  

I haven't made any from scratch models, only messed around with them. I need more studying and practicing to do my own models. But I do have the best tools to create them.

I am still trying to find all my old TOS models. I've lost a couple either on a backup CD or just misplaced. I can convert them from SFC3 to SFC3 no problem and create damage textures and lighting.

Something I was wondering about. Should we enhance some models SLIGHTLY so they don't look too low budget or boxy? Some of the Klingon and Romulan ships are a little simple and not too much flare. I was thinking maybe some slight enhancing here and there while maintaining the TOS look and feel.

As for TOS monsters, WE GOT TO HAVE THE DOOMSDAY MACHINE!!!

« Last Edit: October 25, 2003, 06:20:27 pm by Towelie »

ActiveX

« Reply #119 on: October 25, 2003, 06:19:11 pm »
I love the Invasion series...