Topic: The "SFC3 Community TOS Mod" project thread  (Read 22972 times)

Captain KoraH

Re: The "SFC3 Community TOS Mod" project thread
« Reply #120 on: October 25, 2003, 06:28:40 pm »
Yeah Towelie, I think that some really nice clean TOS ships would be perfect. What I think we should strive for is for all the ships of each race to use the same colors. And, of course the best models we can find.  

Towelie

« Reply #121 on: October 25, 2003, 07:05:10 pm »
Quote:

Yeah Towelie, I think that some really nice clean TOS ships would be perfect. What I think we should strive for is for all the ships of each race to use the same colors. And, of course the best models we can find.  

The best, I assume you mean we don't have to use the low poly models for the low end users? Because I got some high poly TOS ships. Have you seen the Mars class battleship? I will post some pictures of it later tonight. But it is an  incredible battleship done in TOS style with four nacelles. I forgot the orginal creator, I've got the name on file somewhere, I think it was either Wicked Zombie or Moonraker. I will post their name when I post the image. It's made for SFC2 but will be easy to upgrade for SFC3.    

Captain KoraH

« Reply #122 on: October 25, 2003, 09:16:21 pm »
Yes I think this should be the 100% best stuff we can get all the way. I want people to say "Damn!" when they play it!

SghnDubh

« Reply #123 on: October 25, 2003, 10:48:02 pm »

Hi all,
KoraH and I talked, and I have reserved  www.retrotrek.com and will build the site to host the mod and provide additional cool stuff to people who are interested.

We'll stick the site on a dedicated server and, of course, it will be completely free, with no ads/spam/pops/crap. Any thoughts/requests?

--SghnDubh

Grav

« Reply #124 on: October 26, 2003, 05:44:43 am »
take your medication you are way way to generous to be in good mental health :P
Thank you alot Sgnh Dubh we all owe you big time

Towelie

« Reply #125 on: October 29, 2003, 06:05:19 pm »
  GREAT news. I think I have just about every TOS style ship for all races. Most of them are SFC2 so some converting is required.

I've got starbases, space stations, outposts, frieghters, shuttles, two monsters including the Doomsday machine. I think I did an overkill, so I will be reviewing the models and start learning how to convert them. But we have the models I think, just got to check them out and see if they'll be acceptable and which ones will be best.

Towelie

« Reply #126 on: October 29, 2003, 07:40:10 pm »

Okay, it's going to be quite a job of converting these ships. I can do it, but I got to practice at it now that I have these simple instructions ...

Quote:

Greetings, if you're reading this, chances are that you're looking at this document in hopes of learning the (currently) semi-mystical and definitely arcane art of converting a ship from one version of Starfleet Command to another.

Good news!  It's not as difficult as you think!  Unfortunately though, you'll need a program like 3dsMax, Milkshape, Lightwave, or some other modelling program that can read in a ship file.

Now that you have that (grin), let's begin.

note!

·      The first thing that you need to know about converting a ship is how to get the ship into the format that your modelling program will handle.  .3ds is a very common file format that is widely supported, and is .LWO (Lightwave).  The Milkshape format (.MS3D) is not as widely used, and there's only a few programs that can read and write to its format, Milkshape being one of them.  However, Milkshape is also easy to use, has a similar interface to 3ds Studio Max, and is $20 or so to register.  A lot cheaper than the $3500 or so for 3dsMax.  Also, Milkshape has plugins written for it (by chrisofborg of assimilation software) that allows import and export of the SFC .MOD ship format.  All in all, a good deal.

I am going to use 3dsMax as the basis for the conversion process because that's what I use.  (Helps to get a several thousand dollar program at an auction sale for $25 or so).  

SFC 2 to SFC 3

I'm going to start here because, frankly.. this is where most of you will be starting.  With the opposite conversion (SFC3 to SFC2) being next.  To convert a ship from SFC 2 to SFC 3 involves a bit of work, namely access to a graphics program like Paint Shop Pro, Adobe Photoshop, or similar to start.  Then access to a modelling program that can weld vertices and replace dummpy points.  This is why I'm suggesting 3dsMax for this work, it can do all of this (except the graphics program stuff).  And downloading and installing the Taldren model plugins for your version of 3dsMax (or the assimilation software plugins for Milkshape with that program.)  Okay, let's start!

·      Open your model in your modelling program, and delete all the hardpoints/damage points in your ship.  Leave just the mesh itself.  Then if you can import a similarly configured ship from SFC 3 into the same space without replacing everything, do so.  Delete that ship's mesh, leaving only its hardpoints and damagepoints.  This is the easiest way to get these setup.. the hp/dp naming conventions change between SFC 2 and SFC 3.  Now, change the selection setups so that you can select all the vertices in the model.  Select them all and then weld them using a maximum of 0.1 (if you can).  You're now done all the meshwork for your main model... do a similar process for your break mod, selecting all vertices in each piece and welding them all seperately..

·      Now, open up your graphics program and load up a main ships texture.  This will become a damage texture.. one that will be revealed when the ship takes damage.  I like to start on the saucer top, but that's just me.  Now, here's where you get creative.. trash the surface of the texture.  Go for the "Dawn of the Living Dead" look here, but remember that you'll want to probably duplicate what you're doing on the illumination texture, so remember what you do and how you do it.  When you're done the first texture, save it as the same filename with the following change:  add a D right before the .bmp extension.

ie: saucertop.bmp   will be saved as    saucertopD.bmp

·      Now for the illumination texture.. this is the lit part of the ship that will "glow" when that part of the ship is dark and it takes damage.  Again, load the illumination texture for your first texture and do the same kind of work on this one, using a light color like light grey, white, yellow/orange (whathaveyou).. something to indicate a hot area of the ship, or interior damage taking lighting, etc.  It's named in the same fashion as the normal damage texture.

ie: saucertop_i.bmp   will be saved as    saucertop_iD.bmp

·      Now that your damage textures are done, and your mesh work is done.. you're almost done.  Your ship could be dropped right into SFC 3 if you replace a stock ship, and it will now show up.  It'll be dark.. and it may look waxy.. but it'll be there. There's a few more things to do, two of which I know how to do, one of which I don't know all of.  (Sorry).  The first thing is relatively simple.. generate the picture files that will show up in the library, tactical, and beauty shot areas.  You can actually do this with Print Screen, a program that can crop and resize the cropped area, and Taldren's Modviewer of all things.. or you can render your picture directly from your modelling program.  The important thing here is the picture sizes, and picture names which are as follows:

Beautyshot:

dimensions:     304x241

filename is:      *_BS.bmp

Tactical:

dimensions:     141x157

filename is:      *_TI.bmp

Library:

dimensions:     598x365

filename is:      *_VL.bmp

·      Next, you need the SFC 3 modeltools from Taldren, these will allow you to "glow" your ship, plus recache your information to size your ship properly and generate the .X files that it needs.  I'm not going to go too indepth with the glowtools, there's help files inside the program.  The one trick that I've found to generate new glowfiles is to copy an old one into your ship directory with the same filename as your ship (ie: fca.gf for a ship named fca.mod) and then clear all glow groups and start glowing your ship.  Just seems to work better for me.  When you're done glowing the ship, save attributes and recache.

·      The last thing to do is generate string files, and I can't help you here because I've never done them... however, your library descriptions are also done now and they're named shipname.txt and shipname R.txt with the classname at the end of one of these.  Grab a SFC 3 ship for examples of everything here... it'll be a learning experience for you.  After all this, you should be ready to fly in SFC 3!

There's a little more to it that just that for each ship. I will get started on this. We now have all the pieces, just got to put them together. Of course if there's anyway to get some help on this project, that would be great. Right now I got to sort out all the models and decide what to use and convert over.  

I_Mudd

« Reply #127 on: October 29, 2003, 09:10:08 pm »
Quote:

The First Federation was a giant sphere (yes, I'm home early).  

Yeah, you're right. The Fesarius was a huge spherical ship. It was the First Federation Marker buoys that were cubes.

I_Mudd.

Captain KoraH

« Reply #128 on: October 29, 2003, 09:36:57 pm »
I've got a lot of experience converting SFC2 ships to SFC3. If you need any help or assistance please let me know.

We've got ships, we've got sounds, we've even got a home page. Now all we need are some custom missions!

Towelie

« Reply #129 on: October 29, 2003, 09:48:23 pm »
Quote:

Quote:

The First Federation was a giant sphere (yes, I'm home early).  

Yeah, you're right. The Fesarius was a huge spherical ship. It was the First Federation Marker buoys that were cubes.

I_Mudd.  

I just realized what you were trying to do when I read about your animated textures. Your right though. Now if only we could get some animated textures in SFC3. I think this was something that nobody really thought about untill now. Animated textures would make it so much more interesting, especially when it comes to damage textures.

Towelie

« Reply #130 on: October 29, 2003, 09:52:24 pm »

Good to hear, I will be reviewing these and getting some practice at it. I think I got too many ships now. I even got battleships for all, if needed.

On average, how long did it take for you to convert a model over? I am about to find out.

SghnDubh

« Reply #131 on: November 01, 2003, 07:26:58 pm »
Bump....Sticky?

Captain KoraH

« Reply #132 on: November 01, 2003, 08:23:05 pm »
Once I set up my "assembly line" for ship conversion, I could do 9 ships a day incluing everything. That included:

1. Eliminate all LOD models.
2. Check the model for hardpoint locations.
3. Check the model for damage point naming (SFC1 used different names) and locations.
4. Check the model size compared to other TNZ models.
5. Use 3DMax to render the TI, VL and BS images of the ship.
6. Make lightmaps if necessary.
7. Make Damage textures.
8. Check break model for stray vertexes that will crash SFC3.
9. Delete all LOD textures.
10. Change all textures to 256 size and 8 bit color depth.
11. Create a .gf file, use the D'Daridex hardpoint tool to arrange the hardpoints.
12. Write a text description for the ship.
13. Import the ship model into the Taldren attribute editor and add the glows.
14. Add anything to the readme file that needs to be said about the conversion to SFC3.
15. Write a Shipnames.txt entry for the ship names.
16. Develop the DefaultCore.txt entry for the ships stats, making sure to assign the weapon arcs
      to the right hardpoints.
17. Write a DefaultLoadOut.txt entry based on the DefaultCore.txt entry, and adding a variant or two of
      loadout for the AI to use.
18. Run all the models through the Taldren recacher.

That's about all. Doing 9or 10 ships will easily take up an 8 hour day if you're careful and do it right.

Towelie

« Reply #133 on: November 01, 2003, 08:48:14 pm »

OUCH. Just when I thought I had the ships, I found even better ships. My schedule's been crazy last few days with Holloween and THE PARTY.

Since you have experience, I can send you the ships or I'll still convert them if you have other projects. I'll do whatever I can to help. I've got probably 30-50 megs in models and still got to evaluate which ones are worthy. There are so many collections of ships scattered everywhere. I keep finding more.

BTW, heard about the, "meltdown". I've been there before and had to take a break from it. It took me a while but I've almost recovered from it. You cannot please all the players all the time. Not possible. Plus, most complaints you get are bogus complaints and you don't hear from the people that are happy because they'll be playing not complaining.

Good luck and I'll keep you updated. I'll be getting some more time now that the holiday is over.  

Captain KoraH

« Reply #134 on: November 02, 2003, 01:38:01 pm »
Well I wanted this to be a "community project" but it looks like the SFC3 modding community ain't going for it. Not sure why exactly. I've made the sounds, Towelie chose some great ships, now someone is needed to do the conversions. Is the SFC3 comunity really so small?

TheBigCheese

« Reply #135 on: November 02, 2003, 01:46:20 pm »
I've got some models I did way back that I can convert but they are SFB conversions and not that detailed  

SghnDubh

« Reply #136 on: November 02, 2003, 08:35:48 pm »
Well, the site is up.

www.retrotrek.com

We'll be putting forums together at retrotrek to help organize our progress.

vsfedwards

« Reply #137 on: November 02, 2003, 08:42:12 pm »
Lol, I like the fact that the only so far working link is donate.

SghnDubh

« Reply #138 on: November 02, 2003, 09:45:59 pm »

Heh....yeah, well, that's the ONE thing I can code *really* fast.

We really need art, script, test, etc people to assemble what we have and start putting a mod and a server together!

Towelie

« Reply #139 on: November 02, 2003, 11:34:19 pm »

I've stopped collecting models, I've got too many. I counted over 30 Klingon models alone  

Like I said, I kept finding better models. I ended up getting the best ones from Fleetdock 13. But we got to make sure to ask before using them publicly and be sure to give credit where it's due depending on what ships we settle with.

I got some pre-tos and pre-tmp ships also. I figured some pre-tos stuff would be nice (sort of like having the Excelsior in TNG era) with a few upgrades (such as shields if the NX class is used).

Bedtime for me, I'm starting to get weird. This mod is going through even if I have to do most of it myself