Topic: The "SFC3 Community TOS Mod" project thread  (Read 22975 times)

Captain KoraH

Re: The "SFC3 Community TOS Mod" project thread
« Reply #140 on: November 03, 2003, 12:19:32 am »
Well I'll pitch in more of my own time if needed, the idea of a really good TOS mod is too good to pass up. I only wish more people were interested in helping.

Towelie, if you can zip up the ships you've got, and post a link for me to download them, I'll select some to go into the mod and ask for permissions, then start the conversions.  

TheBigCheese

« Reply #141 on: November 03, 2003, 03:37:10 am »
what is the fourth race going to be? Gorn  

SghnDubh

« Reply #142 on: November 03, 2003, 12:59:16 pm »
Actually, if the 4th race could be a menagerie, that would be cool. For instance, a Gorn ship or two (true to the one encountered by 1701), a planet killer, a mirror universe Enterprise or some Fed ships taken over by the M5 computer, a tholian, an organian (bright ball of light, as strong as a cube), mudd's pirate cruiser, Cireno Jones' cruiser (with TRIBBLES AS CARGO) , lazarus' ship from the alternative factor, an energy cloud like in Metamorphosis, an actual model of the Nomad probe(?),  in The Immunity Syndrome an enormous space-dwelling amoeba, Khan's Botnay Bay, and ... this would be SO kitch--- a huge hand of apollo that locks you into a non-repellable tractor beam and crushes your hull  

Also, all the Fed bases look like space station K7, and we should have one mission where the player's ship takes damage from a computer-generated war, as in A Taste of Armageddon.

There is precedent for a Daedelus-class ship to show up (A Piece of the Action).

Captain KoraH

« Reply #143 on: November 03, 2003, 02:16:15 pm »
Unfortunately they never showed the Gorn ship in "Arena". I think all the other various monsters and stuff you mentioned would make great mission based enemies, but not so great as a set race. Having the Borg be replaced by just space monsters would be fine, and all those "non-alligned" ships you mention can be thrown in as Rakellians, Pirates or what have you.

Has anyone given any thought to making a defined story arc with the missions? We could make a single player story campaign with new missions. Maybe Pelican would like to contribute to the project in that respect?

SghnDubh

« Reply #144 on: November 03, 2003, 05:11:56 pm »
Quote:

Unfortunately they never showed the Gorn ship in "Arena".

No, but they described it as being equal to the Enterprise, but a bit faster, IIRC. Sounds like a Gorn CA?

Quote:

Has anyone given any thought to making a defined story arc with the missions? We could make a single player story campaign with new missions. Maybe Pelican would like to contribute to the project in that respect?  

Yeah. I'd love to see a campaign around the last missions of the Daedelus-class ships, and the launching of the very first Constitution Class ships. Think about what the Constitution brought compared to the previous ships in the fleet! And there could be corresponding arcs around how the Romulans must recover from the first earth-romulan war, and fly sub-light only ships until they have to complete a "steal fed warp technology" mission -- which then opens the yard to warp ships. Meanwhile the Klink arc could deal with the winding-down of hostilities between Roms and Klinks, and crafting a truce that leads to shared technology which opens cloaking to the Klingons when a Klink player completes a key mission.

PS
Actually, I think a player-flown "petting zoo" of ships would be killer...think of it---Taking a squadron of D7's and BOPs against player-piloted PlanetKillers and Giant Aomebas?  WOOT

Towelie

« Reply #145 on: November 03, 2003, 07:40:02 pm »

Okay, I'll take care of that. I just now got home and am off all day tommarow. Do you want me to dump the pre-tos ships or should I compress them all? And where should I send them, there are quite a few megabytes? My webspace will only allow 10 megabytes  

SghnDubh

« Reply #146 on: November 03, 2003, 09:34:21 pm »
Towelie,

I would keep the pre-tos ships that might have flown right before the Constitution-classes "changed the landscape."  I think it would be cool to move from one of those types of ships to the (relative) powerhouses we see on TOS....my 02.

Captain KoraH

« Reply #147 on: November 03, 2003, 10:11:59 pm »
Yeah lets keep the pre-TOS ships until we see what we've got and start weeding the list down to just a few ships per class. I think we need to try to reach parity between the playable races as far as numbers of flyable ships goes. I guess if you could break it all down into 10mb chunks I could start downloading them one per day until I got it all. PM me with the URL.  

Towelie

« Reply #148 on: November 03, 2003, 10:52:49 pm »
 Uploading right now.

A mission script that would be great since I got the model for it... ...the Kobayashimaru scenerio! There are so many great models out there.

A few things I got (might of mentioned some earlier). Space station K-7, Doomsday machine, the Kobayashimaru, a few interesting pre-tos ships. I think the NX class would be a great starter ship with some TOS era upgrades (like SHIELDS). The Klingons and Romulans also have some nice pre-tos and tos era ships.  

Towelie

« Reply #149 on: November 05, 2003, 09:48:17 pm »
  Well, I wonder if I should upload the next batch of ships. Maybe tommarow. Oh yea, BUMP. This project is STILL GOING AHEAD!

SghnDubh

« Reply #150 on: November 05, 2003, 11:18:01 pm »
YOU BETCHA !!!  ALL ABOARD!!!

Lieutenant_Q

« Reply #151 on: November 05, 2003, 11:24:20 pm »
hey, the NX-01 had shields in tonights episode, courtesy of General Shran. Twenty years or so after the Xindi got Earth.  Of course, it didnt do them a whole lotta good, the Xindi tracked them down and killed them, not that it would have mattered, the last remenants of Humanity were on Ceti Alpha V.

"You Lie! on Ceti Alpha V there was life! A fair chance!"
"THIS IS CETI ALPHA V!"

*sigh* "Ceti Alpha VI exploded, six months after we were left here, the shock shifted the orbit of this planet, and everything was laid to waste.   Admiral Kirk, never bothered to check on our progress.  It was only the fact of my Genetically Engineered intellect that allowed us to survive."

Khan and Chekov, ST: II TWOK, Ceti Alpha V.  

SghnDubh

« Reply #152 on: November 06, 2003, 12:03:18 am »
ARRRGGGG

POST A SPOILER ALERT NEXT TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

emsgoof

« Reply #153 on: November 06, 2003, 06:44:03 pm »
Hey Dubh...
When you need testers, let me know!  
I'll even play nice and stop smiting people over at BC...
(well, maybe not, but I can say I would!)

atheorhaven

« Reply #154 on: November 06, 2003, 09:54:32 pm »
Actually, I have a pre-TOS ship that might be of interest.. a long time ago, I got permission to work on and redo p81's NX-01 from Raven for a TOS refit.. (without changing the mesh too much).  The fun thing about this puppy is that it was, (and still is on its registries) the NCC-01.  If you want to have some fun, I'll work on converting that over to SFC 3.. and we can all hear the howls of protest together.  

When it was released, it also had Halloween and Christmas textures as well.. but those may not be needed for the mod.  (grin)

Towelie

« Reply #155 on: November 06, 2003, 10:27:52 pm »
  Yes, that would be a nice little bonus to put in. I feel bad though, the feds get all the cool ships AGAIN. No matter, I will fly Klingon and watch them BURN!

SghnDubh

« Reply #156 on: November 07, 2003, 12:16:13 am »
yeah baby we'll need testers.

now everyone start shouting, "go towelie, go towelie"  

Towelie

« Reply #157 on: November 10, 2003, 01:17:58 am »
  Don't want to see this thread get stale.

Current status report...

We lost our project leader Korah, so we have to do what we can. I have collected ships and was starting a review and conversion process for SFC3. I have no experience in converting and little time. But given the current situation, I am going to have to learn it all. Perhaps some assistance in this will arise after I get the models sorted so we know what to convert and what to dump from the project.

SghnDubh

« Reply #158 on: November 11, 2003, 10:02:35 am »
Towelie, I got a ping from someone with some modding experience. I'll PM you his contact info.

SghnDubh

« Reply #159 on: November 11, 2003, 10:03:01 am »
Also www.retrotrek.com forums are up thanks to Cueball!