Topic: The next time you change your own oil...  (Read 7747 times)

Re: The next time you change your own oil...
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2004, 03:27:23 pm »
Yep, that's what found out after the fact.

The Postman

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2004, 05:32:34 pm »
Quote:

Well that much is true, that could have been very scary actually, But It's good to hear The engine didn't sieze on you. BTW, when I've done oil changes, I always Put abit of oil on the Filter gasket anyways, Is that the right thing to do?

stephen  

Putting a bit of oil on the rubber gasket is always a good thing before you spin it on. The OIl makes sure you can get the filter off the next time you change your oil.  

Corbomite

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2004, 09:12:52 pm »
Quote:

Well that much is true, that could have been very scary actually, But It's good to hear The engine didn't sieze on you. BTW, when I've done oil changes, I always Put abit of oil on the Filter gasket anyways, Is that the right thing to do?

stephen  

Yes, absolutely, always. The oil primes the gasket and makes sure it seals properly so it doesn't leak. It should say to oil the gasket on the filter itself. Never tighten a filter with an oil filter wrench. They are just for removing the old filter. 2/3 to 1 turn after the gasket has seated is the correct tightness.

762, that is the first instance I have heard of that happening. I'd say you were really lucky not to have caused real damage.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Corbomite »

Oberon

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2004, 02:15:18 am »
I've got a parallel rule:  make sure the previous gasket comes off, and start the engine and look at it in your driveway or look at it after a short test drive.  My dad taught me about the test-starting or driving, to avoid oil plug gaffes.

I had an old Celica once [loved that heap] and the first time I changed the oil, I changed the filter of course, but I could reach it from the top of the engine bay.  So, I did not see, on the downward pointing mount, the old gasket clinging where it was now unwanted.  I oiled the new gasket and installed the filter.  It tightened a little funny, but after determining it was not cross-threaded [by feel of how it threaded, of course, not by looking!], I tightened it satisfactorily, with but a little nagging thought in my mind.

I discovered the second gasket shortly thereafter, after a short test drive to check that I had done everything right.  I had not.  Steady oil drip, let the engine cool down, and thank you, the old gasket stuck a bit to the new, and peeled off of the mount a bit as I removed the filter, so I could see it.

Actually, I now also rub the two gaskets together for the old one's oil to start the prime on the new one, specifically to remember to look for the old gasket and avoid this problem.    

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2004, 10:58:53 am »
I know I was lucky. Fortunately I took the oil light seriously and pulled my butt right over.

JMM

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2004, 12:09:41 pm »
A further note on oil changes.

Do it your selfers, get a big oil change plastic container from your choice of auto parts store, most stores like Advance Auto Parts accept your oil for free, filters too. Why? They make extra money off of it as companies that recycle oil come by and pay to suck up all the oil out of the bin into their tanker truck and go to be reprocessed. Filters get crushed and the oil drips down into a container as well, and the metal from the filters can be recycled. Oil is oil, it does not "break down" persay, it's the compounds and additives that "break down" thus causing problems when you do not change your oil.

If you go to a shop to have oil changes done, ask first if they have an "oil disposal fee." If they do, say that's BS and look elsewhere, I guarantee you there are shops that do not tack on that oil disposal fee to that 20 dollar advertised special as some shop owners are honest and not greedy, and know they will make money off the used oil. Like I said, only some, but those people are out there and run a good honest business.

Same thing with tires, tires have a lot of petrol products in them believe it or not, and in Texas they use them in the building of roads and highways (after being processed of course).  

Karnak

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2004, 12:21:13 pm »
I always get my regular Car Repair shop to change the oil so they can look for potential problems. Plus, they have an incentive to do it right otherwise they miss out on future car repair business. If you look hard enough, you might be able to find a car repair shop that is reputable and competent and, most importantly, business savvy enough to match the small oil change outlets cuz they can hope to earn future business in other areas.  If they are one or two dollars over  I still think it's worth it; especially, if the car repair shop guys stop a problem before it causes a breakdown.

JMM

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2004, 12:23:06 pm »
Oil changes are gravy at auto repair shops, it brings in "upsell." Hence the reason they inspect your car thoroughly.  

The next time you change your own oil...
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2004, 02:35:52 pm »
...make sure the new filter has the little rubber seal thingy on the end.

Otherwise you'll leave a mile long trail of oil behind your car!  

Kmelew

« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2004, 02:39:16 pm »
Quote:

...make sure the new filter has the little rubber seal thingy on the end.

Otherwise you'll leave a mile long trail of oil behind your car!    

I hope you didn't seize you engine.  I did that once...not very pleasant  

Sirgod

« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2004, 02:39:48 pm »
LOL, Sorry Bro, but that's kinda Funny. Was It the supplier who didn't have the seal on there Oil Filter, Or had It just come Off.

stephen

« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2004, 02:42:19 pm »
Nope - thank god for that great invention, the oil light.

« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2004, 02:45:04 pm »
Quote:

LOL, Sorry Bro, but that's kinda Funny. Was It the supplier who didn't have the seal on there Oil Filter, Or had It just come Off.

stephen  

Not sure, it might have just fallen off in the box or something. It's kinda funny now, not so much when I was freaking out on the side of the road!  

Sirgod

« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2004, 03:11:08 pm »

stephen

« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2004, 03:27:23 pm »
Yep, that's what found out after the fact.

The Postman

« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2004, 05:32:34 pm »
Quote:

stephen  

Putting a bit of oil on the rubber gasket is always a good thing before you spin it on. The OIl makes sure you can get the filter off the next time you change your oil.  

Corbomite

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2004, 09:12:52 pm »
Quote:

stephen  

Yes, absolutely, always. The oil primes the gasket and makes sure it seals properly so it doesn't leak. It should say to oil the gasket on the filter itself. Never tighten a filter with an oil filter wrench. They are just for removing the old filter. 2/3 to 1 turn after the gasket has seated is the correct tightness.

762, that is the first instance I have heard of that happening. I'd say you were really lucky not to have caused real damage.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Corbomite »

Oberon

« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2004, 02:15:18 am »
I've got a parallel rule:  make sure the previous gasket comes off, and start the engine and look at it in your driveway or look at it after a short test drive.  My dad taught me about the test-starting or driving, to avoid oil plug gaffes.

I had an old Celica once [loved that heap] and the first time I changed the oil, I changed the filter of course, but I could reach it from the top of the engine bay.  So, I did not see, on the downward pointing mount, the old gasket clinging where it was now unwanted.  I oiled the new gasket and installed the filter.  It tightened a little funny, but after determining it was not cross-threaded [by feel of how it threaded, of course, not by looking!], I tightened it satisfactorily, with but a little nagging thought in my mind.

I discovered the second gasket shortly thereafter, after a short test drive to check that I had done everything right.  I had not.  Steady oil drip, let the engine cool down, and thank you, the old gasket stuck a bit to the new, and peeled off of the mount a bit as I removed the filter, so I could see it.

Actually, I now also rub the two gaskets together for the old one's oil to start the prime on the new one, specifically to remember to look for the old gasket and avoid this problem.    

« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2004, 10:58:53 am »
I know I was lucky. Fortunately I took the oil light seriously and pulled my butt right over.

JMM

« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2004, 12:09:41 pm »
A further note on oil changes.

Do it your selfers, get a big oil change plastic container from your choice of auto parts store, most stores like Advance Auto Parts accept your oil for free, filters too. Why? They make extra money off of it as companies that recycle oil come by and pay to suck up all the oil out of the bin into their tanker truck and go to be reprocessed. Filters get crushed and the oil drips down into a container as well, and the metal from the filters can be recycled. Oil is oil, it does not "break down" persay, it's the compounds and additives that "break down" thus causing problems when you do not change your oil.

If you go to a shop to have oil changes done, ask first if they have an "oil disposal fee." If they do, say that's BS and look elsewhere, I guarantee you there are shops that do not tack on that oil disposal fee to that 20 dollar advertised special as some shop owners are honest and not greedy, and know they will make money off the used oil. Like I said, only some, but those people are out there and run a good honest business.

Same thing with tires, tires have a lot of petrol products in them believe it or not, and in Texas they use them in the building of roads and highways (after being processed of course).