Topic: So whats the hold up with SFC G.A.W  (Read 17261 times)

Re: So whats the hold up with SFC G.A.W
« Reply #120 on: March 23, 2004, 02:35:56 am »
    Sorry for that misunderstanding.I really don't know to much of the game devlopement business but I do know about marketing and supply side economics.I will have to look into this I will talk to the game devlopement company here called X.
  .There is another possiblity that is if This company went puplic and went on the Nasdaq.This is just a thought though to bring in some investors.  
« Last Edit: March 23, 2004, 02:52:57 am by Age »

Kroma_BaSyl

« Reply #121 on: March 23, 2004, 09:57:16 am »
Quote:

Why do you think so many publishers are turning to East European Dev Companies? Lower costs.

I am not saying that outsourcing won't enhance profitability. What I am saying is that the enhanced profitability that could be gained from outsourcing wouldn't be enough to convince Taldren to do GAW, since the decision to make a game has to do with marketability. Outsourcing can be used to lower the cost of creating any game, so any good business man would choose to build the game with the best market potential regardless of whether it is done in house or outsourced. Some might then say "well with the labor flexibility offered by outsourcing, why not build all the games, big market or small, they can all make money, just some more than others".  This is because you can't do everything well (and I am not referring to the quality of the game, but rather the maximization of the profits of the game), instead a management team will need to focus on a limited number of projects and will most like focus on the ones with the biggest market potential. This is do to the fact that there is less risk of failure and more potential for profits with the large market products over the small market ones. All this is not to say that the SFC franchise won't someday regain a larger and more attractive market, it is just a little over saturated and played out right know. Hopefully this is cyclical and in a few years the market will be ripe for GAW and we will all get are wishes granted.

Quote:

Granted some of those companies have put out some good games,but alot of them were pure garbage.

Outsourcing may save money,but there's no gaurantee that the quality will be all that great.  

So what, MS Windows is a crappy OS, but a very profitable one. Quality of the product does not necessarily equate to profitability of the product, and game companies are in the business of making profitable games not necessarily quality ones. This statement is in no way a reflection of Taldren, as I think they have made several quality games, and have shown a level of support for their products that goes well beyond their competitors, even to the point of hurting their net. This is not an unusual trend in smaller startups, but as they mature and grow the pressers to produce profitable games will only increase and they will be left like all well managed companies chasing the bigger markets with larger upside potential. For a really good read on this type of trend by well managed companies check out The Innovator's Dilemma - by Clayton M. Christensen. Ironically, however, the theme of this book is that chasing the big market's can actually lead very well managed companies into extinction.

Kroma_BaSyl

« Reply #122 on: March 23, 2004, 10:08:37 am »
Quote:

Sorry for that misunderstanding.I really don't know to much of the game devlopement business but I do know about marketing and supply side economics.I will have to look into this I will talk to the game devlopement company here called X.
  .There is another possiblity that is if This company went puplic and went on the Nasdaq.This is just a thought though to bring in some investors.  

Which really makes my point about market potential. When seeking initial private financing an eventually a public offering, you are much likelier to attract investors, be they angel or institutional, if you have big market potential, as the reward must be rather substantial in order to justify the inherent risks involved with early stage financing.

And Age please understand I don't mean to be arguing with you so much as playing devils advocate to your proposition that they find a way to do GAW through lower cost structures. I don't have any hard facts as to the market potential of SFC (but a bit of intuition), and am merely putting forward a possible (and in my opinion very likely) reason why it won't happen via the mechanism you were proposing (lower cost structures).  However, that said, I would love to see GAW, and would gladly fork over $1,000 bucks for such a game, but then again I am an SFC junky, and Taldren would be nuts for making a business decision on resource allocation for a new product based solely on the desires of their fanboys.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Kroma_BaSyl »

Crimmy

« Reply #123 on: March 23, 2004, 08:53:44 pm »
Posted by Admin:

Quote:

We know that you have been anxiously awaiting news on Black 9. We are sorry for the delay.
  Taldren's development of Black 9 is on hold for the moment.

We have had such an incredible amount of fan support for Black 9 that we look forward to sinking our teeth back into it soon.

We want to thank all of you for your support and patience.

The Taldren Team

Not to sound rude....but....just what the hell are you guys working on then?...nothing?

Care to sub out a few programers and a little OP sourse code?

Pestalence

« Reply #124 on: March 23, 2004, 09:28:56 pm »
Taldren is working on some projects that they are not at liberty to talk about....

« Reply #125 on: March 24, 2004, 02:07:31 am »
   Yes that is the way it is with companies that produce products they just like to keep us in suspenders.It to bad it not like the auto business where you will get a taste of whats tomorrow.  

TheSatyr

« Reply #126 on: March 24, 2004, 02:35:55 am »
Ever heard of NDAs?

Taldren can't say what they are working on till the publishers either give them the ok,or announce it themselves.

« Reply #127 on: March 24, 2004, 02:53:15 am »
   The Truth is out there somewhere   ( I figured out your NDA saying No Dummies Allowed right)  

Pestalence

« Reply #128 on: March 24, 2004, 03:04:38 am »
NDA stands for Non Disclosure Agreement.. it is a legal contract where the signer is not permitted to talk about a project or any aspect of a project unless given specific permission from the person or company that is owning or in charge of the project...

as such, I am under NDA with Taldren.. If Taldren told me what was going on.. then I could not pass on that information... and I am subject to a lawsuit if i violate my NDA...

If Taldren is working on a project and are under NDA.. they can't talk about the project until they recieve permission to do so... If they did talk about it before permission was given, then Taldren would be facing a lawsuit.. i don't think any of us wants that.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Pestalence »

« Reply #129 on: March 24, 2004, 12:35:55 pm »
    I do have a good Knowledge of the law and do know what a Non Disclosure Agreement is if the Satyr worded like you did I word of understood him better .I know that if all of you moderators signed an agreement with this company and leak out any informatin you could face a law suite aswell as company if they said anything.Yes I do know of the legality of all of this.Pestalence can you please reply ro some of my PMs Thank You

PS Sometimes I think most of you with exception of Pestalence are joking around if you are going to say something do not use acronyms or just word just type the hole thing out so we know when you are being serious and aren't joking around.It is not a goood idea to use acronyms around the puplic or especialy in these forums.    
« Last Edit: March 24, 2004, 12:45:31 pm by Age »

Kroma_BaSyl

« Reply #130 on: March 24, 2004, 12:57:21 pm »
Quote:

PS Sometimes I think most of you with exception of Pestalence are joking around if you are going to say something do not use acronyms or just word just type the hole thing out so we know when you are being serious and aren't joking around.It is not a goood idea to use acronyms around the puplic or especialy in these forums.    

STFU!!!    

j/k Age, I just couldn't resist. Oops, I did it again (j/k = Just Kidding, I leave you to figure out the first one on your own.)  

« Reply #131 on: March 24, 2004, 01:27:13 pm »
    I don't think I will be able to.

STFU yuo aren't sating anything bad are you ???  

Kroma_BaSyl

« Reply #132 on: March 24, 2004, 01:38:37 pm »
Quote:

STFU yuo aren't sating anything bad are you ???  

Perish the thought.

« Reply #133 on: March 24, 2004, 01:52:41 pm »
    What I meant was saying anything bad I am not a touch typest I do have to look at the key board but I do where that Z key is though aswell as the a and the s aswell as 1,2,3, and 4 is.

Please Kroma_BaSyl tell me what that acronym stands for I do not want to play these head games    

Kroma_BaSyl

« Reply #134 on: March 24, 2004, 02:15:00 pm »
Quote:

Please Kroma_BaSyl tell me what that acronym stands for I do not want to play these head games    

You will have to ask Dizzy about that one. It is even in his sig, if I tell you he will make me pay him a royalty.

If the head games are really getting to you though, might I offer you a cold one?

« Reply #135 on: March 24, 2004, 02:26:15 pm »
    I still don't get it you could PM me on this ?  

Kroma_BaSyl

« Reply #136 on: March 24, 2004, 02:33:20 pm »
Quote:

But this is much more fun for me. Hey BTW, you ever been on the receiving end of a Gorn BF? <snicker>

Sten

« Reply #137 on: March 24, 2004, 02:35:30 pm »
Quote:

Kroma forgive me but I cannot take this anymore.

Age it means Shut The F*** UP! <---STFU Something Dizzy and now everyone else uses so much it is becoming a dead horse.

Pestalence

« Reply #138 on: March 24, 2004, 02:36:12 pm »
Kroma.. this is a new person to the boards.. Play nice...

Kroma is one of our biggest jokesters on the boards.. but he gives jokes and recieves jokes very well..

can't you tell with that functified TUTU of his???

Ok now that I said that.. Keep passing the jokes around..

Kroma_BaSyl

« Reply #139 on: March 24, 2004, 02:38:09 pm »
Come on guys, give me a little credit. I did PM him.