Topic: Tactics list for new DV2 players....  (Read 26149 times)

**DONOTDELETE**

Tactics list for new DV2 players....
« on: February 26, 2003, 12:10:14 pm »
So good it needed bumped to its own thread!

Tactics list 101for new DV2 players.....this list is of general tactics , is not all inclusive, and doesnt cover variations thereof:

"The chariot"

"the Hydran anchor"

"walking the dog"

"the bee hive"

"PT boating" aka "PF herding"

"The mazia attack" aka MIZIA...shhesh ...so I cant spel

'Electronic warfare usage'

"Fleet Control"

'The Sabre dance'

'The slash'

"The drone wave"

"Surfing the wave"

"the Mirak Overwelm"

'The Gorn anchor'

'The Photinic colonic aka The Federation anchor'

'The Klingon anchor'

'The hammer'

'Phaser boating'

'The Photon dance'

'The Plasma ballet'

'The Gorn broadside'

'The shield shredder'

'The Phaser enema'

'The thatch weave'

'The shove'

'The pummel'

'The whip'

'The tug'

"the overcoat"

'The scatter pack whack attack'

'The suicide overrun'

'The starcastle'

'The wolf pack'

'The stalking horse' aka 'sabre thrust'

'The Holy Hand grenade'

and I almost forgot ....'The Drive by'... aka Hit and Run rape

HOLY crap...I how could I forget "The autolycus manuever"

Anyone feel free to add any I may have forgotten....

Now...I didnt feel like typing 20 pages of crap....so if you cant find these tactics for study or have someone show you how its done......I will make every attempt to either link a tactic or C&P something or type it out for ya....

Ya see....Some peeps would have you believe we SFC2 nutters are a bunch of elitst snobs who dont want new people comming round here...

Well...that is bull crap...

We want the fight...we relish the battle...we want your best game....and we want you to have fun......getting stomped on is NOT fun....therefore...many fleets actively share there knowlege due to the simple fact that a better more skilled enemy...will stick around and fight,and makes for a much better battle...which for us is more fun

We call it "The pucker factor"

« Last Edit: February 26, 2003, 12:27:20 pm by crimnick »

Corbomite

Re: Tactics list for new DV2 players....
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2003, 12:21:10 pm »
Christ on a cracker Crimmy, it's MIZIA, not MAZIA!!!!

You forgot:

The Bait and Switch

The Cloak and Lure

and

The Waggle Maneuver

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Corbomite »

Maxillius

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2003, 01:31:32 pm »
I've got one called :P

yes that's what I called it

Anyway...

Ingredients:
  5 or more transporters
  equal or greater number of mines
  lots of seeking weapons to throw at enemy

how to execute the :P

Lob everything you have, (pseudo all if you're a plasma chucker).  If your opponent is smart he'll weasel.  Use this opportunity to clear your inventory of mines either directly on top of his ship or slightly in front of it.  Hopefully for you he'll forget to turn his throttle down under 4 so as to not give himself a delay reaction exploding enema.  This works very well with troop transport ships with lots of transporters and mines, and dreadnoughts against an opponent with weasels.  it's very gratifying to watch your opponent blow himself up on a mine hehehe

TheMaverick

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2003, 01:50:43 pm »
LMAO the :P I like it...

SOSFlaviusSilva

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2003, 06:46:08 pm »
Hi,

Is there anywhere I can read up on these moves?????

Some have funny names.  Or is this a joke list?

I would really like to learn this game.  

Kroma_BaSyl

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2003, 06:50:26 pm »
The Plasma Ballet is no joke, and if your going to fly Rom you better learn it cadet.

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 03:16:52 pm »
Hi,

This thread is very old, but the tactics seem interesting. I know what some of the standards are, like "Gorn Anchor," but some of the obscure ones I have no idea. I couldn't find any "bee hives" or "stalking horses" on Google. Could someone clear these up?

Thanks,
Rob

Offline Farfarer

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 06:51:05 pm »
and my fave, "The Flash Cube".

Offline FPF-Paladin

• 'Thou shalt not CAD.' - DH
  • Lt.
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2007, 05:01:01 am »
You left out the oblique photon pass... s'ok though :)
~Life cannot find reasons to sustain it, cannot be a source of decent mutual regard, unless each of us resolves to breathe such qualities into it. ~

Offline KBF-Crim

• 1st Deacon ,Church of Taldren
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2007, 04:39:39 pm »
Wow..this is an old thread.... ;D

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 05:24:57 pm »
That's an awesome list. A must have for anyone's bag of stupid tricks.

Offline KBF MalaK

• Just Another Target
  • Lt.
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 09:58:48 pm »

Anyway...

Ingredients:
  5 or more transporters

Lob everything you have, (pseudo all if you're a plasma chucker).  If your opponent is smart he'll weasel.  Use this opportunity to clear your inventory of mines either directly on top of his ship or slightly in front of it.  Hopefully for you he'll forget to turn his throttle down under 4 so as to not give himself a delay reaction exploding enema.  This works very well with troop transport ships with lots of transporters and mines, and dreadnoughts against an opponent with weasels.  it's very gratifying to watch your opponent blow himself up on a mine hehehe

I can never get this one right, I end up t bombing empty space to the leading side of the enemy then tractor the bastich into the mines (or in Dizzy's case- an asteroid)

<snicker>
"Artificial Intelligence is not a suitable substitute for natural stupidity"                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Offline Soreyes

• Commander
  • It's Not News. It's CNN
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2007, 07:41:39 am »
I have always loved "The Death Drag With a Scatter Pack" ;D

[img width=600 height=150]

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2007, 04:07:08 pm »
You left out the oblique photon pass... s'ok though :)
What is this as well as this [ 'The Photon dance'] and this['The Photinic colonic aka The Federation anchor']I was told the phser boating is the best way to beat a plamsa ship are there any others?Interesting list btw it seems I would still need more to learn about Flying Fed.

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2007, 10:41:31 pm »
The oblique photon pass is (I think) when you fire photons at range 8.9 for Ov/L or normal or 12.9 for proxies and fire ph-1s, then peeling away at high speed, so you don't get much closer. 

I picture the photon dance like the saber dance, but the critical ranges for photons are 12.9 to 30, instead of 15 and 22 for dizzs.

The Fed anchor should just be using a tractor on a ship at range 2.0-2.9, keeping the enemy at a range where photons are accurate but don't do feedback damage. Then release tractor and fire phasers at range 0. I don't know, that's my take on it.

Offline KBF-Crim

• Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2007, 10:03:20 pm »
It's been too long since I listed these....but IIRC I filled the list by going through the forums.....but that would have been taldrens forums....those threads might be hard to search for...

Offline Beeblebrox

• Existential Warfare
  • Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2007, 05:22:59 am »
The oblique photon pass is (I think) when you fire photons at range 8.9 for Ov/L or normal or 12.9 for proxies and fire ph-1s, then peeling away at high speed, so you don't get much closer.

A good way of discouraging pursuit after a close strike using this method is two-fold.  The first move is to lauch a scatterpack (or suicide shuttle if your race doesn't use drones).  That will give the bad guy something to concentrate on other than your delicate rear shields.  The final move is to drop a mine after the scatterpack erupts.  The mine is a good reason for most opponents to steer away/around it and gives you an extra layer of defense for your ship's butt while you make good your escape.   

"Out swords and to work with all!"---Cyrano de Bergerac

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2007, 01:50:12 pm »
Thanks for the tip!

Sometimes I try launching admin shuttles as a pseudo suicide shuttle or scatterpack. If lucky, it can trick some players into wasting phasers, or just messes with them :).

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2007, 10:02:43 pm »
There are a few others:

"The Sucker Punch"

"The Pseudo Anchor" (Plasma Version)

"The Pseudo Anchor" (Non Plasma Version)

"The Stiff Forearm"

"The Maverick Dodge"  Named after the pilot who pulled it sucessfully on Die Hard and Karnak in sucession

"The Limping Cat"

"Circling The Wagons"

"THe Anti Anchor"

"The Hydran Anchor"

"The Fleet Anchor"

"The Fighter Anchor"  I wonder if Scippy still hates me for that one  ;D

"Deadweight"

"Slow Castle"

"Running with the Bulls"

"Drone-A-Dope" (AMD) I & II

"Drone-A-Dope" (Plasma) I & II   It made Kroma admit droners had skills too  :D

"The Fighter Sucker"

"The Block and Spin"  Beastly hard to do, only managed it a few times.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2007, 11:06:16 pm »
Now if we had films to go with each one!!!

Offline KBF-Crim

• Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2007, 11:38:47 pm »
Now if we had films to go with each one!!!

ohhhhhhh....good idea...

Offline KAT MRess

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2007, 02:57:44 am »
Hmmmm... Let me dig into Ye Old Kat Site (Yes I still have it) and see what we have...
AKA: Goose

KAT Patriarch (retired)
Chugra Kabal (retired)
KLAW member (retired)

Offline KBF MalaK

• Just Another Target
  • Lt.
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2007, 03:32:40 pm »
We really should have a thread of anti-fed tactics. While phasers and disruptors are hard to dodge, photons arent. A little wiggle (assuming your the target ship) just as they're leaving the tubes usually (at least in my case) makes them miss. Most peeps fear photon torps, I laugh at them.

Did anyone mention the 720 degree HET ?? I love pulling that one against fighters. I usually leave them behind with nary a scratch then drop a couple of t-bombs on em as I waving bye-bye.

;)

« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 03:43:03 pm by KBF K MalaK »

Offline KAT MRess

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2007, 05:40:13 pm »
Whoo hoo it's still there! AND it still works...  didn't delete any files.

Now let's see if i can get it posted online for you guys...

KAT Patriarch (retired)
Chugra Kabal (retired)
KLAW member (retired)

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2007, 04:15:47 am »
Here's the scoop for film watching iirc., you need to add in the ship and ftrlist of the server the film was taken on and then you need to 1st play a single player game to let the engine load the models. Once this is done, then you should be able to watch the film.

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2007, 12:09:46 pm »
Ok, here's one called "The Siege:"

If you're a plasma user against a starcastling enemy, arm half of your heavy torpedoes as enveloping, and keep the other half normal.

If the Castle is using specific shield reinforcement, the enveloping torps will kill all the other shields. And if they know you're enveloping and switch to general reinforcement, fire a normal torpedo, and it will burn the facing shield. All the while, circling at high speeds at range 10-15. It'll drive them crazy and leave them naked w/o shields.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2007, 12:17:29 pm »

If you're a plasma user against a starcastling enemy . . .

Um, do you really need a specail tactic against somebody foolish enough to do this?  :)
Who'd thunk that Star-castling was the root of all evil . . .

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2007, 12:31:11 pm »
Educational Films from GW3

This was originally posted in the Federation forums back in 2004, all the films should work with the default OP+ shiplist.   Please forgive the mild smack-talk as this was from a private forum and I'm too lazy to edit it :)

http://69.125.26.106:9000/images/Firehawk_D5C.rec

Nothing bragging to show here, an F-CC+ should always beat a K-D5C. i included this film only because i pulled off this REALY cool hydran manuever that 762 taught me involving a HET. Worth watching just to see that.

http://69.125.26.106:9000/images/Pardek_FDW.rec

I'm flying Kzin in this one, I'm really amazed to have pulled this off. MIRVs are so wrong on so many levels . . .

http://69.125.26.106:9000/images/KBF-Ben_D5D.rec

F-CF should ALWAYS beat a D5D. I ran off a bunch if them in the CF, Ben is the only one who stuck around long enough to get the kill. Fight is a little dull.

http://69.125.26.106:9000/images/KBFTrajan_D5D.rec

F-CC+ versus a K-D5D. Textbook castling against a droner, I am sure he really hated me after this fight. The move I pulled off with the T-bomb WW combo was exactly how I wanted it to go, I knew he would overshot and I could rape his downed rear.

http://69.125.26.106:9000/images/Kurok_D5D.rec

What do you do when the D5D perpetually flies with 6 ECM and erratic manuvers? Tractor him!! Fire photons into the 2 shift at range 2.9, you still have a 50% chance of hitting, save you phasers for PD, he can only send 6 drones a round at you as he cannot launch a Scatter pack. set your EW to ECM while the photons are loading to minimize his phasers.

One thing i love about people who rip on castling. It is INFINITELY easier to beat a D5D with a CF and to castle in an CC+. Phaser-boating in a Speed 31 ship takes no skill.

http://69.125.26.106:9000/images/Mack_C8VK.rec

2v2, Kzin CVA and my CB versus a C8VK and an AD5. Sometimes you have to use you ship like an 80-point seeking weapon.

I honestly think I got away with this because they don't take the CB seriously. That and t00l was a bit of a bonehead and took a few drone hits so they though he was more hurt than he was.

http://69.125.26.106:9000/images/Walleye_C7.rec

I purposely drifted away from my wing so i could gather speed and sneak in with a tractor. it worked like a charm and he went BOOM

http://69.125.26.106:9000/images/2_D7Cs.zip

Me versus 2 D7Cs in a Planet defense. That mission allows you to control the bases. Phaser IVs are cool. Laughing

All in all, GW3 was not that hot of a PvP server. Most of the fights were lop-sided run offs one way or another. Lots of fun though. best fight I had was against Madelf's C10K but I lost that film, likely would have been messed up anyway as the host dropped.

Offline Lepton

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2007, 05:14:49 pm »
I don't think any of those files are on your server, DH.

System Specs:

Dell Dimension E521
AMD64x2 5000+
2G DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB GDDR3
250GB SATA HD

Offline FPF-Paladin

• Lt.
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2007, 09:02:38 pm »
Seems fine to me (now at least?)
~Life cannot find reasons to sustain it, cannot be a source of decent mutual regard, unless each of us resolves to breathe such qualities into it. ~

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2007, 12:15:05 am »

Anyway...

Ingredients:
  5 or more transporters

I can never get this one right, I end up t bombing empty space to the leading side of the enemy then tractor the bastich into the mines (or in Dizzy's case- an asteroid)

<snicker>

This one takes a bit of lead tracking skill and works best in its stock form against the AI.  To make it work against a human opponent, you need to be going really very quickly indeed to get your downed shield away from their weapon arcs.  I've done it on oblique passes, but the most I can get out is 4 before the other guy's phasers cycle.  You need to be willing to take a bloody nose, but mind what you can lose.  Will 40 points be worth your port/starboard phasers and your PPD?  Tricky.
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline KBF MalaK

• Just Another Target
  • Lt.
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2007, 10:39:02 am »
You need to be quick about it as with a weaseled ship they can't fire for a few seconds (or if they unloaded on you they won't have recharged weaps for some time). I didn't say it say it was foolproof (maybe I'm just lucky) and you're right- it's works better against AI but if you can catch an unarmed opponent (and you may be unarmed as well) this could work for you.

Offline GDA-Agave

• That's MR. Planet Battering Ram to you buddy!!
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt.
  • Fear my tequila breath!!!
« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2007, 01:45:37 pm »
 :thumbsup:  Now that's a great list!!

I especially like the "thatch weave".  I don't know what it refers to, but I just love the name

I might just have to get some flying time in here soon.  Shake off all the rusty scales.

AGAVE
One of the few, the proud, THE GORN!!
Gorn Dragon Alliance - Protecting Ghdar and the Bruce Way!

Gorn Dragon Templar
"Protecting the roads to Brucedom for all travelers of faith"

Offline Hexx

• Sexy Shoeless Lyran God Of War
  • Captain
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2007, 02:02:52 pm »
::)

Good tactics= Whatever wins me current game.
Bad tactics = Whatever I tried that didn't work out so hot last game.

Honestly there is no "hey this works" for all (or even most) situations.
Hence such lists are silly.

Courageously Protesting "Lyran Pelt Day"

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2007, 02:26:34 pm »

Hence you should learn everything so you are ready when the situation presents itelf.

Offline Hexx

• Sexy Shoeless Lyran God Of War
  • Captain
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2007, 02:30:33 pm »

Hence you should learn everything so you are ready when the situation presents itelf.

Hence you should work to develop your own tactics so that no one who has read a silly list will be able to anticipate them.
Courageously Protesting "Lyran Pelt Day"

Offline Dfly

• Lt. Commander
  • Lyran Alliance Lives
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2007, 04:28:27 pm »

Hence you should work to develop your own tactics so that no one who has read a silly list will be able to anticipate them.

Hence you would be as good as Hexx.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2007, 08:47:12 pm »

<snicker>

The key to the T-Bomb shower is to switch from the default (F3) "towards the enemy" view to the (F1) "Top down" view.  It lets you see the placement much more clearly.  It is also the ideal view for "threading the needle" either between mines or between asteroids. 

The T-Bomb Shower is best used when your shield is already down and so is an enemy shield that you can hit.  This can net you a very effective Mizia attack if  you have the right ship.  Commando ships and Klingon ships are the best for this.  The shower can be more effective than a short range Plasma R if executed correctly.
Do unto others as Frey has done unto you.
Seti Team    Free Software
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2007, 08:56:39 pm »

Um, do you really need a specail tactic against somebody foolish enough to do this?  :)

Thank you!! ;)

The only ships able to effectively castle against Plasma are Battleships and even then you have to stay on top of things.

Now castling against an ESG... That's an art!

Offline FPF-Tobin Dax

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2007, 11:26:43 pm »

I used to have a film of 3rd-Phoenix castling in a bcf versus a KVL and destroying the KVL, a feat he did repeatedly in ladder play. It was amazing to watch.

Thank you!! ;)

The only ships able to effectively castle against Plasma are Battleships and even then you have to stay on top of things.

Suspected leader of Prime Industries, #1 Pirate Cartel

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2007, 02:02:01 pm »

I used to have a film of 3rd-Phoenix castling in a bcf versus a KVL and destroying the KVL, a feat he did repeatedly in ladder play. It was amazing to watch.

I'd take that fight on the KVL side. "Oh please Mr. BCF, just sit there and wait for me!"  ;) ;D

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2007, 03:55:24 pm »
He castled in a BCF versus a KVL and won repeatedly?   Was this against n00bs or "real" players?  I've seen crazier stuff happen so I don't doubt it. 

When I get home tonight, I'll post links to a bunch of GW4 films with a Fed CB busting Castling Romulans.   These films should all work with the basic OP+ 4 install.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2007, 03:56:35 pm »

We talking a 2-ESG or a 4-ESG Lyran? 

Offline FPF-Paladin

• Lt.
« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2007, 04:03:56 pm »
If it's only 2 ESG I actually think it could be pulled off, wouldn't be easy though.. very dependent on timing I would think.

Offline Dfly

• Lt. Commander
  • Lyran Alliance Lives
« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2007, 06:59:37 pm »
Miraks can do it vs Lyran 2 ESG ships.  vs a 4 ship, it would be very tough.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2007, 07:32:34 pm »
I know it can be pulled of against a 2-ESG ship (flying Fed, Hydran, or Lyran at least).  Castling just isn't my "go to" plan against a 4-ESG ship in 1v1.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2007, 07:59:54 pm »
You can easily castle vs a 4 esg ship with hellbores. I castled on Firesouls BCHF in my Z-BCH. ESG's arnt that nasty when you cant HET.

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2007, 08:40:34 pm »
You can easily castle vs a 4 esg ship with hellbores. I castled on Firesouls BCHF in my Z-BCH. ESG's arnt that nasty when you cant HET.

Bingo!! Timing is essential though. The Lyran can just waltz up to you and fire the ESG's at PB range. Hellbores won't help in that instance. It is much easier for a droner to do it because of all the expendables.

Offline KBF-Crim

• Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2007, 11:56:55 pm »
:thumbsup:  Now that's a great list!!

I especially like the "thatch weave".  I don't know what it refers to, but I just love the name

I might just have to get some flying time in here soon.  Shake off all the rusty scales.

AGAVE

Eh...ask...and ye shall receive...the thatch weave

http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163359940.msg1122846206.html#msg1122846206

IIRC...I compiled this list from forum content...so each one should be on a thread somewhere...

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2007, 08:17:20 am »

Bingo!! Timing is essential though. The Lyran can just waltz up to you and fire the ESG's at PB range. Hellbores won't help in that instance. It is much easier for a droner to do it because of all the expendables.

Yeah but I have yet to nail Chuut with a range 0 ESG. Bastard always tracs me no matter how high my anti charge. So I employ the same tactic.... although tossing a few Tbombs off an oblique facing shield will also help drop ESG's on their way in. But if the Lyran does it right your shields drop with the esg hit and then you get tagged with 2 SS on a downed shield. It isnt pretty... Which brings me to another tactic. Not sure what you call it, but maybe ring around the rosey? You HET right as you're about to get nailed and start goung around in a circle spreading damage over two or three shields. Works well agaisnt ESG+direct fire weapon+SS over runs. Having all three hit simultaneously is tough so that's why this tacic works.

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: December 13, 2007, 08:23:58 am »
Here's another one: Dropping/Lifting your Skirt.

When you drop a shield intentionally to get the enemy to fire at you when he isn't planning on it. This is such an awesome tactic because people will nearly instinctively fire at a downed shield even out of effective range amd thru a 2 shift if they see you drop your shield and their DF weapons are rdy. hehe

Offline GDA-Agave

• That's MR. Planet Battering Ram to you buddy!!
  • Hot and Spicy
  • Lt.
  • Fear my tequila breath!!!
« Reply #51 on: December 13, 2007, 01:31:22 pm »

Eh...ask...and ye shall receive...the thatch weave

http://www.dynaverse.net/forum/index.php/topic,163359940.msg1122846206.html#msg1122846206

IIRC...I compiled this list from forum content...so each one should be on a thread somewhere...

Hey, thanks Crim.  I'll check this out when I get home tonight.

AGAVE
One of the few, the proud, THE GORN!!
Gorn Dragon Alliance - Protecting Ghdar and the Bruce Way!

Gorn Dragon Templar
"Protecting the roads to Brucedom for all travelers of faith"

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #52 on: December 13, 2007, 03:24:26 pm »
Thank you. The thatch weave sounds interesting.

About my "tactic" of plasma against a castler- I lost that battle in the end. He caught up speed after the castle, and pushed me off the map. Oh well  ;). The tactic isn't very useful, but it was fun.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2007, 07:58:53 pm »
The Funnel.
[/color]

The principal is to force your opponent to move in a constrained path.  if you thread the needle between two asteroids or mines then he has to either follow or swing wide.  If he follows then you know precisely where he will be and can use that to your advantage.

An example:  I was flying a R-WB+ (I forget why and who against) my opponent was in a F-NCL.  I ran and circled an asteroid with him following closely.  I transported a T-Bomb around the curve of the asteroid giving him the choice of hitting it or "thread the needle" between the T-Bomb and the asteroid.  When he went through the funnel I created he hit my NSM (dropped within .1 of the asteroid) and found that I had done a HET and was coming down his throat with a Plasma R, single fired Ph-1s and an attack probe.  He didn't survive and I was unscratched.  :)
I believe truth and principle do matter. If you have to sacrifice them to get the results you want, then the results aren't worth it.
 FoaS_XC : "Take great pains to distinguish a criticism vs. an attack. A person reading a post should never be able to confuse the two."

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2007, 08:10:31 pm »
The best general tactic is to be unpredictable. Don't fall into a pattern that your opponent can devise a counter to. If they're never sure of your attack/defense plan then you control the field. Be obtuse and non-racially oriented and use a different tactic on every pass if possible. Then when they are sure you won't do the same thing twice, do the same thing twice.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2007, 08:30:27 pm »
The best general tactic is to be unpredictable. Don't fall into a pattern that your opponent can devise a counter to.

But its okay to let people think that you are using such a pattern, only to break it at the key moment.  :)

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2007, 03:28:31 pm »
The best general tactic is to be unpredictable. Don't fall into a pattern that your opponent can devise a counter to.

But its okay to let people think that you are using such a pattern, only to break it at the key moment.  :)

Oh, yes absolutely. Feints are a large part of any strategy and should be used as much as possible.
Another thing to do is change tactics right in the middle of a run, kind of like a football play where you line up in a way that looks like one type of play and it ends up being another type. It can really foul up your wingmen though so voice comms in that situation are really necessary.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2007, 07:48:12 pm »
The Lame Duck maneuver
[/color]

When playing as Mirak against someone who evades missiles well I've stopped firing them when low on supply and acted more aggressive with the direct fire weapons.  My opponent then assumes that I am out of supply and comes in for the kill only to find that one last volley fired at point blank range makes him the prey rather than the predator. 

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2007, 08:11:46 pm »
Afterburners
[/color]

Sometimes you need a little extra speed and in some circumstances you can get it.  On one occasion against a friend playing Mirak he took a hit from me knowing that the missile swarm would hit me harder than I had hit him and that I would be unable to T-Bomb them all as they were spread out and a weasel would just leave me a sitting duck.  I needed speed to evade those fast missiles.  So I tractored what I could and rotated them behind me.  It still wasn't enough so I dove straight at the black hole and out ran them all.  Of course I used the black hole to "sweep" both the missiles I had tractored and the swarm that was pursuing me.  An asteroid or planet would have done as well for the sweeping but wouldn't have given the speed boost.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2007, 05:32:20 pm »

You've been reading my play book.   I'd say 50% of my 1v1 kill occur when I lull people into a pattern and then change it on them

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2007, 06:03:42 pm »
I'd be a much more deadly oppenent if I understood tactics a bit better than I do. As is, my unpredictability wins most of my matches... probably because my understanding of tactics is barely sufficient enough for me to gain the upper hand pulling out one of my tricks at the opportune moment. Fortunately, my understanding of when that 'moment' is is dead on. But if I'm paired with someone who knows tactics... ooohhhh, watch out!

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2007, 06:07:52 pm »

You've been reading my play book.   I'd say 50% of my 1v1 kill occur when I lull people into a pattern and then change it on them

Thats been in my playbook since I learned to play chess in grade 6 many moons ago.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2007, 06:11:11 pm »
Don't just overload use underloads and turning weapons off to gain power advantages.  All weapon modes exist for a reason and should be used when appropriate.

Offline FPF-DieHard

• DDO Junkie
  • Captain
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2007, 08:05:43 am »
Always approach your target at a 45 degree angle when making a direct-fire attack run, especially against a plasma opponent.   If you approach straight on, your opponent can HET into you and easily get an anchor.   If you approach at a 45 degree angle, you can turn away when they HET, often while still getting in your shot.

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2007, 03:16:57 pm »
I'd be a much more deadly oppenent if I understood tactics a bit better than I do. As is, my unpredictability wins most of my matches... probably because my understanding of tactics is barely sufficient enough for me to gain the upper hand pulling out one of my tricks at the opportune moment. Fortunately, my understanding of when that 'moment' is is dead on. But if I'm paired with someone who knows tactics... ooohhhh, watch out!
Oh.I wouldn't say that look what you did to me in that NHK.

Orignally Posted by DizzyHere's another one: Dropping/Lifting your Skirt.

When you drop a shield intentionally to get the enemy to fire at you when he isn't planning on it. This is such an awesome tactic because people will nearly instinctively fire at a downed shield even out of effective range amd thru a 2 shift if they see you drop your shield and their DF weapons are rdy. hehe
That is what you told me to do and of coarse I feel for it.

I don't see how how hard it could be going agaist a Lyran unless it is Mog.I would just keep my distance.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 03:35:24 pm by Age »

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2007, 08:16:29 pm »
... if I'm paired with someone who knows tactics... ooohhhh, watch out!

That's why I want to wing Lyran with you. A lack of patience is your biggest tell. You would go screaming in and I could read the "play" and act appropriately.

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2007, 08:29:12 pm »
Don't just overload use underloads and turning weapons off to gain power advantages.  All weapon modes exist for a reason and should be used when appropriate.
Amen!
I usually keep the phaser capacitor at 10% unless I have a chance to go slow and powercharge it.

I read an article once that said something like "don't do your attack run until your weapons are charged and you're fully accelerated." I have a problem with this. I always forget to check the speed dial and I run in too slow. Then I get fryed trying to get out quick enough.

I also always depend on long-range "coward" tactics too much. When someone charges at me, I panic :). I need to shake it up more, like Corbomite's advice.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #67 on: December 17, 2007, 08:51:03 pm »
Don't gloat to your opponent about how you have already defeated them.  Some people will get annoyed and creative and snatch victory from the jaws of defeat.  Why do you think I first tried the Lame Duck maneuver?  :)

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #68 on: December 17, 2007, 08:59:55 pm »
I'm not too patient. But I have been known to play 2 and 3 hour matches.  :D

Offline Riskyllama

• D.Net Beta Tester
  • Lt.
  • Risky
« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2007, 06:27:29 am »

"Just play it safe against Dizzy. He'll get bored and either do something bold or stupid, maybe both. The both is what you have to look out for."
Everything is sweetened by risk. ~Alexander Smith

Offline KBF MalaK

• Just Another Target
  • Lt.
« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2007, 09:30:34 am »

"Just play it safe against Dizzy.
He'll get bored and either do something bold or stupid, maybe both. The both is what you have to look out for.
"

Sometimes they are one in the same and make the difference between defeat and victory. Thats why I like winging with Dizzy, too bad he likes flying Feddies.

Offline KAT MRess

• Lt. Junior Grade
« Reply #71 on: December 18, 2007, 10:45:36 pm »
Here's a blast from the past...

http://ca.geocities.com/gary.swinfield@rogers.com/

Keep in mind this is about 5 years old. Note the tactics page.
They have already been mentioned, but I thought you guys would get a kick out of it. It was "cutting edge" when it was made(it's old hat now).

I finally sat down and put in the time to get it up and running. The links are old and don't work, and some stuff doesn't line up anymore, but there is it nonetheless.

KAT Patriarch (retired)
Chugra Kabal (retired)
KLAW member (retired)

Offline Age

• D.Net VIP
  • Commander
« Reply #72 on: December 18, 2007, 10:52:00 pm »

"Just play it safe against Dizzy.
He'll get bored and either do something bold or stupid, maybe both. The both is what you have to look out for.
"

Sometimes they are one in the same and make the difference between defeat and victory. Thats why I like winging with Dizzy, too bad he likes flying Feddies.
I though Dizzy liked Flying Rom as of lately.Yeah those links are old.

Offline KBF-Crim

• Global Moderator
  • Commodore
  • Crim,son of Rus'l
« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2007, 03:43:39 pm »
Here's a blast from the past...

http://ca.geocities.com/gary.swinfield@rogers.com/

Keep in mind this is about 5 years old. Note the tactics page.
They have already been mentioned, but I thought you guys would get a kick out of it. It was "cutting edge" when it was made(it's old hat now).

I finally sat down and put in the time to get it up and running. The links are old and don't work, and some stuff doesn't line up anymore, but there is it nonetheless.

Hey that's pretty cool!

Offline Commander Maxillius

• You did NOT just shoot that green sh-t at me?!?
  • Lt. Commander
« Reply #74 on: December 24, 2007, 12:23:21 am »
My go-to tactic as a Romulan is pretty much basic cloaking procedure.

Defense:

Vs. seeking weapons, keep outside range 5-7, and ensure you're going slow enough to decelerate rapidly.  If you're charging weapons, most likely you are.  When your opponent fires seekers at you, IMMEDIATELY nail the e-brake and cloak simultaneously.  This causes all seeking weapons to gradually lose their lock.  If performed outside range 10, nothing tan touch you.  Closer is risky, and should never be attempted inside range 5 without a weasel.

Offense:

Basically, stay cloaked while you charge, decloak once to draw seekers, immediately cloak again, then decloak once everything has dissappeared.  Fire, rinse, and repeat.  It is often necessary to adjust your phaser slider to 1/3 to match the charge rate of your plasma since you're cloaked and can't fire faster anyway.
I was never here, you were never here, this conversation never took place, and you most certainly did not see me.

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #75 on: December 24, 2007, 08:37:44 am »
Here's another one: Dropping/Lifting your Skirt.

Used that on Kroma in a Rom ship once, to his credit he resisted it once, but if you put a bare butt in front of him, he can only hold out so long.  Then he was caught between a wave of drones, 2 asteroids and Freedom's pursuing fighters.

A simliar thing to do, is if you know your enemy is empty of direct fire weapons, drop a shield, if he has hit an runs on auto his shield will drop and you can let loose on him. This one is what I call "The Sucker Punch"

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #76 on: December 24, 2007, 08:39:26 am »
The Lame Duck maneuver
[/color]

When playing as Mirak against someone who evades missiles well I've stopped firing them when low on supply and acted more aggressive with the direct fire weapons.  My opponent then assumes that I am out of supply and comes in for the kill only to find that one last volley fired at point blank range makes him the prey rather than the predator. 

Thats what I call "The Limping Cat"

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #77 on: December 24, 2007, 08:43:13 am »

A few people are actually good at predicting unpredictability.  Or at least have peaked in Dizzy's bag of tricks enough.  Dizzy is the only pilot I feel is much better than me who I have a winning record against.  ;D

Offline Roychipoqua_Mace

• Lt.
« Reply #78 on: December 24, 2007, 01:56:39 pm »
My go-to tactic as a Romulan is pretty much basic cloaking procedure.

Defense:

Vs. seeking weapons, keep outside range 5-7, and ensure you're going slow enough to decelerate rapidly.  If you're charging weapons, most likely you are.  When your opponent fires seekers at you, IMMEDIATELY nail the e-brake and cloak simultaneously.  This causes all seeking weapons to gradually lose their lock.  If performed outside range 10, nothing tan touch you.  Closer is risky, and should never be attempted inside range 5 without a weasel.

Offense:

Basically, stay cloaked while you charge, decloak once to draw seekers, immediately cloak again, then decloak once everything has dissappeared.  Fire, rinse, and repeat.  It is often necessary to adjust your phaser slider to 1/3 to match the charge rate of your plasma since you're cloaked and can't fire faster anyway.
How do you do this without getting people pissed at you?!

It's too bad, really. It's a valid tactic, and necessary for Old Roms. There's ways around it, so people who don't want to "waste their time" fighting a cloaked Romulan, shouldn't be grouchy. Oh well ;)

I fought an ISC recently, and right now, I think they are my toughest enemies. It was a late, 200 bpv no X battle. I had a R-NHK and they had an I-CVLS. I really didn't know what to do. When I tried dancing ballet with them, their 2 PPDs ripped my shields away. I tried going for an anchor and they dumped 2 fighter squadrons in my face, along with the Plasma I's. I killed one squad, but the other got away and repaired.
Are there any good tactics against the ISC? They are hard to approach for an anchor kill, but then they slowly gut me at long range!

Offline Dizzy

• Captain
« Reply #79 on: December 24, 2007, 02:44:44 pm »

A simliar thing to do, is if you know your enemy is empty of direct fire weapons, drop a shield, if he has hit an runs on auto his shield will drop and you can let loose on him. This one is what I call "The Sucker Punch"

That is such an awesome tactic! I'm gonna use that against Corbo!

Offline Corbomite

• Commander
« Reply #80 on: December 24, 2007, 04:14:19 pm »

LOL!! I never have H&R on Auto Transport, but good luck anyway.   ;D

Offline KAT Chuut-Ritt

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #81 on: December 24, 2007, 07:05:14 pm »

What is sheer beauty is doing it to a starcastling ship, if you somehow catch him unloaded when your armed.  Doesn't happen much, but sheer beauty when it does.

Offline Nemesis

• Captain Kayn
  • Global Moderator
  • Commodore
« Reply #82 on: December 24, 2007, 07:52:10 pm »

That was done to me ...